1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

El Murciélago - Cigar City Brewing

El MurciélagoEl Murciélago

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Cream Ale |  9.50% ABV

Double Cream Ale with cumin and lime peel added aged in tequila barrels.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 86 | Reviews: 19 | Show All Ratings:
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours clear golden with a nice foamy white head... decent enough lacing.

Nose is chock full of cumin... agave/tequila are lesser players... a bit of lime zest puts the whole thing together with a pretty heavy hand of pale malt.

Pretty sweet from front to back... the cumin again comes in right up front and lingers through the finish... agave/tequila are there but not really that heavy... limes are there as an afterthought.

Light carbonation accentuated a heavier body... No real booziness, but not really that drinkable IMO.

all 3.5's

04-13-2014 05:16:05 | More by JohnGalt1
KickInTheChalice

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From notes. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tasting glass.

My pour is a dark amber color, hazy with a bring orange edges. A small off-white cap forms initially and gradually fades.

The aroma is definitely unique. Not much of the cream ale comes into my nose, but lime, tequila, oak, and most prominently cumin all rise into my nose.

The flavor reminds me a little bit of an Indian curry dish with the strong cumin presence. Agave, tequila, and a ton of lime also come through. The light malts from the cream ale form a launching pad for the adjuncts to shine through but do not really contribute much noticeable flavor themselves.

This has a medium body, with a slightly creamy medium carbonation. It starts with a juicy bit of lime and dries out with the tequila and barrel. It has a bit of a prickly, spicy character to it.

I enjoyed my decent sized sample, but I think everyone else that tried it was not a big fan.

06-21-2013 05:28:50 | More by KickInTheChalice
Rogorama

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Tried on tap at DLD. A very unique beer. This was the first tequila aged beer I've had. The aroma is interesting, and the pour is a murky yellow with a bit of a white head. The cumin and the lime peels really provide an extra something that makes this beer stand out. Definitely worth a try if you can get your hands on one.

02-09-2013 19:49:39 | More by Rogorama
mntlover

Tennessee

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a deep amber color with beige head two fingers high

Aroma is malty lots of lime and cumin light wood and tequila notes more agave then tequila really. Some boozy notes underneath it all.

Taste is big malty notes lots of lime and cumin mixed with some light woody notes. Boozy mixed with light tequila hints round out the finish. Kind of unusual but that's why I picked it up in Tampa this pass spring. Not my favorite brew but love Cigar City's desire to try anything.

Mouthfeel is big medium with about average carbonation.

Overall its different which is why I picked it up, wouldn't drink it everyday but defiantly worth a try just to check it out.

10-31-2012 23:11:18 | More by mntlover
Gobzilla

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

A: poured a murky orange in color with slight yellow highlights and a finger of white head that left plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: very different elements going on here such a cumin spice, hints of lime, sweet agave, tequila with woody notes and plenty of malty sweetness.

T: lots of curry style cumin flavor going on upfront on the taste alongside lime accents, agave tequila character with a touch of booze, and earthy woody notes.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a spice, citrusy lime, agave tequila, sweet and sticky finish.

O. Very unique beer that was pretty good considering all the wacky ingredients that going on.

08-10-2012 15:01:55 | More by Gobzilla
womencantsail

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

The pour is a cloudy orange color with a tall eggshell head. Smells mostly like lime, very mild spices, and very little, almost no tequila. A moderate malt aroma and sweetness. Tastes primarily like cumin. There’s a nice bit of lime and wood. A hint of tequila on the finish, maybe a touch of vanilla as well.

08-07-2012 18:25:51 | More by womencantsail
oline73

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: This beer pours a cloudy amber color with a half finger of creamy off white head that sticks around pretty well.

Smell: The wooden quality from the barrel is dominating the smell. Reminds me a little bit of pencil shavings. I'm getting some of the cumin along with a malt sweetness. Just a hint of tequila.

Taste: The wooden quality is there, but not quite as strong as in the smell, and it doesn't remind me of pencil shavings. I'm am getting some tequila and cumin. The finish is kind of boozy and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth, tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a very interesting beer. I was surprised how prevalent the barrel was without the tequila being too strong. I think I would have another one.

08-01-2012 02:03:53 | More by oline73
UCLABrewN84

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to NoSignsOfPain for sharing this one at her birthday bottleshare hosted by mrbubbler.

Bottled in 2/2012.

Pours a slightly murky honey orange with a foamy orange-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of limes, lime zest, salt, wood, and some slight tequila aromas. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick on the finish. There is a pretty astringent bitterness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer for what it is and an interesting concept for sure.

07-01-2012 06:23:09 | More by UCLABrewN84
corby112

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a hazy golden amber with slight orange edges and a one finger off white head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing left behind.

The aroma of this beer is pretty intense. It smells more like a spicy margarita than a beer. Lots of earthy spice along with sweet citrus and a strong tequila presence. Not picking up a lot of barrel/oak but a very prominent tequila character. There's also some subtle caramel malt and bready yeast.

Flavor is similar to aroma but tastes more like a beer than it smells. There's still a margarita feel with hints of lime, salt, spice and a heavy tequila presence but the malt and yeast notes are more prevalent. Also, there's a bit more of a barrel presence with dry oak and subtle vanilla. Slightly bready with caramel malt but the salt, citrus, cumin and tequila overpower the other flavors. I've only had one other tequila BA beer before(Zapata Bot) which I really enjoyed but this one is a bit heavy handed for my liking. An interesting experiment that I'm glad to have tried but I wouldn't order it again.

06-23-2012 06:52:53 | More by corby112
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Had during the 2nd Annual Redneck Racin’ & Tastin’ while tailgating at the dirt track race! Big thanks goes out to BRoss242 for this one! Served from bottle into a NoDa snifter. Poured yellow-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised sweet malt, pepper, lime, wood, sweet alcohol, and cumin. The flavor was of sweet malt, cumin, sweet alcohol, pepper, and lime. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Holy cumin Batman! I am a big fan of cumin when it comes to cooking and this brew carries this aspect over into liquid form! All of the other aromas and flavors going on here definitely make a statement and mix really well with the cumin aspect which was definitely the star of the show. This brew actually made me quite hungry. Too bad I didn’t give in like the others at the dirt track and eat a bologna sandwich. You guys make me sad… Oh yeah, the brew…. Try this thing!

06-12-2012 13:05:57 | More by thagr81us
jsanford

Georgia

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy dark amber with a thin white head that settles to a slight ring. Rich aromas of buttery grain, tequila, caramel, and coconut. Really nice. Florida-inspired flavors carry through to the taste, lots of coconut, tequila, sweet malt, caramel, and lime peel. Smooth and creamy, with a medium-full body and good carbonation. Somehow this beer evokes Florida perfectly, I get sunscreen, sand, palm trees, and coconuts. Really unique and interesting.

04-22-2012 16:27:43 | More by jsanford
maximum12

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

Thanks to the fine moose3285 for this bottle, nestled among many of its Cigar City friends. I had an unexplained urge for this beer tonight, so sought it out & stuck it in the fridge. Big 750ML bottle split with my wife.

First, Cigar City, I'm old. The 5 point font on the bottle? I can't read it without the reading glasses that I don't need. So I don't get to read the cool story. Pour is slightly opaque cream soda orange, short-lived jolt of carbonation. Sorta smells like orange cream soda too, surprisingly bare, but the lime & tequila are the only things that show up. I expected a bomb of some sort.

El Murcielago should be pasted up on lime billboards across the country./././././yips! Lima lime cracks the palate with a mace. Tequila forms a hot, belly-warming background. Base beer flairs up with soft sweet malts, oak is lip-smacking dry, lick of spices that I presume is the cumin, orange, bittering that might be hops. Alcohol burn finishes mops up. Creamy & creamier, Prince. I find myself wishing this came in a 3000ML bottle.

Damn. This is a unique beer & even better, it's damn good. Never had anything quite like it, & my half of the bottle is vanishing faster than the plot of a chick flick. Excellent beer from an excellent brewery, thanks again Mike.

04-22-2012 03:34:12 | More by maximum12
Mora2000

Drank at bu11zeye's 10,000th rating tasting.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of cumin, with a little bit of bread and some cedar thrown in. This beer is completely unique and I have never smelled anything similar to it. The flavor is also unique. I get a lot of agave syrup and orange notes, as well as some cream, sugar and cinnamon. There is a ton going on in both the aroma and the flavor, and every sip brought me more and more flavors. I have no doubt that if I had another glass, I would come up with even more characteristics. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

04-17-2012 04:53:01 | More by Mora2000
dbrauneis

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle share in Hoboken, NJ.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with hints of brown in color. The beer had a 3/4 finger tall beige head that reduces to a thin ring of bubbles at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: The aroma is very interesting with the cumin, kind of reminds me of the spicy smell of a bloody mary or celery salt. There is a definitely hint of Indian curry as well.

T: I found the flavor of this beer to be much better than the taste, there is a certain creamy flavor but there is quite a bit of presence of the cumin (in a pleasant way) and some definite tequila notes.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Definitely creamy.

O: This is definitely one of the more interesting beers that I have every tried, the aroma is a little off-putting but the flavor is much better than expectations from the aroma. I'm not sure I would get this one again.

04-15-2012 19:56:49 | More by dbrauneis
JamnesCameron

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured into a humidor series tulip glass. Pours an orangey amber hue with a big light tan head that stands up. Slightly hazy.

Aromas of lime peel, tequila, if I concentrate, I can pick up the cumin, I think. It's an interesting mix. Not sure I can pick up any of the base beer notes.

Flavors lean hard on the tequila, with lime peel rolling in over the top, like a shot and a bite, no salt. No hops to speak of, no real malt character. It comes in layers, there is the initial tequila smack, followed quickly by the lime, then a hint of malt, then the tequila again, with a hint of cumin coming as you exhale. This is so beyond "beer" I'm not even sure what to call this.

Mouthfeel is medium, with tons of hot tequila alcohol warming the whole inside of your mouth, like a slow burn. There is a slickness after the swallow that has a salty "feel" to it.

Overall, this is an incredibly complex and flavorful beer. Although I don't drink tequila anymore (too many bad memories), this is surprisingly nice. You gotta try this at least once.

04-14-2012 03:37:03 | More by JamnesCameron
Thorpe429

2.18/5  rDev -41.7%

Thanks to G311 for bringing this one to the Philly tasting. Served in a mini tulip.

Pours a moderate golden-brown color with a very thin white head and not much in the way of lacing. The nose brings really strong tequila and wood with a bit of lime. The flavor is the same. The mouthfeel is the same. This is tequila plus lime through and through, and I was not a big fan.

04-09-2012 23:53:59 | More by Thorpe429
ADemshar

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

My friend came straight over to my house after a trip to Tamps this weekend. While he was there he visited the Cigar City Brewery and brought many variations for me to try out. The first one we cracked open was El Murcielago. This beer looks about like any other I have had. It was a darker amber color. The smell was fairly strong, you can easily detect a coconut scent. When you taste the beer however it tastes like a swallow of Malibu and tequila. Perhaps some people like their beers to taste like liquor, I however do not. I actually really like this brewery but this beer is not for me.

04-05-2012 21:02:11 | More by ADemshar
Sean9689

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle at CCB.

A - Pours a burnt orange color, off-white colored head, sticky lacing, thin collar, thin cap.

S - This bottle was opened with 5 other guys. Upon my initial sniff, one thing came to mind. I glanced around at the other guys and gauged what they were thinking. I said, "It smells like a certain thing." AgentZero then spoke up and said "I'm not going to say what this beer smells like." Right away, I knew exactly what he was thinking. This beer smells like vagina...no lie.

T - After the smell, it's nearly impossible to pick out anything else. It tastes like vagina. Sip after sip, I couldn't stop. :-) I thought about chugging the rest of the bottle, then thought better.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy feel.

O - I bought 6 cases after I tried this...okay, kidding. Seriously though, it smells and tastes like vagina. Is this good or bad? I guess it depends on how you roll, homies. Very...unique? I guess I could have given the taste/smell of vagina a 4.5, but not really sure I could drink pour after pour of it. Maybe I'm not all man?

03-17-2012 19:57:09 | More by Sean9689
FosterJM

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

1140th Review on BA
Draft to Taster

@Cigar City

App- A highly golden looking beer with some yellow highlights and a bit of amber. Not much head but more of a 1/8" of bubbles.

Smell- Another great smelling beer from these guys. Lots of barrel in the nose with oak and especially tequila with the limes and cumin following. Very distinct.

Taste- Wow! Tequila shot in a beer with a ton of a lime. Very unique and more vibrant than Zapata bot. Very well layered and pretty damn tasty. Has some lime and tang for days.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonation with tequila prickly notes. Layered and tasty.

Drink- A great use of a under appreciated barrel. I liked it with the style they chose.

03-16-2012 17:09:06 | More by FosterJM