Rollin' Dirty Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Rollin' Dirty Red Ale
No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: shand on 06-15-2012)

marty717, Oct 14, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tampa Bay Brew Bus Rollin Dirty Red Ale has a medium, cream-colored head, a hazy, red-brown appearance, some streaming bubbles, and some lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, brown bread crust, and the flavor is similar, with a nice and measured hop bitterness from the middle-to-end of the sip. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Tampa Bay Brew Bus Rollin Dirty Red Ale finishes mostly dry, smooth, mellow, interesting, and delicious. Overall, this is a really enjoyable beer. I’m glad I was able to try it.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Feb 24, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +32.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 12 oz. Cigar City snifter. Pours a gorgeous garnet shade with a minimal head, and virtually zero lacing. The nose is sweet. Hints of caramel, vanilla, and even cherries make up the bulk of the smell. The taste is marvelous. Again, a bit sweet, with lots of cherry, along with a subtle woodiness/tobacco presence. The mouthfeel is solid gold. The finish is a bit sweet, and it lingers for several solid seconds. Overall, this is an eminently drinkable beer that I could revisit over and over again.

Retail1LO, Sep 07, 2012

DarrellK, Oct 12, 2012

wilfonzo, Sep 01, 2012

andy1701, Aug 06, 2014

mcsauter82, Dec 14, 2012
4.04/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

Look: It pours a deep reddish brown, that is slightly hazy. The one finger head thins out fairly quick and leaves a thin ring. The lacing is moderate. Not much to complain about here. A very good looking ale.

Smell: A bit of caramel up front. A bit of hops, but it's quickly taken over by the bready malt notes.

Taste: The first couple I had, I would say it was definitely caramel in taste, with a bit of bitterness, and a lot of malts. But the next day I had a couple of more, and I started picking up a sweetness. I had to check the can to see if it said anything about having a sweet backing like this, and there it was, the can mentioned mild chocolate notes. There is definitely a bitter cocoa there, and this adds a whole new layer to it, making it a great winter ale for myself.

Feel: Medium bodied, well balanced and warm. Everything I ask for.

Overall: I was well impressed with this. The other brew bus brews I've had have been like the "lesser brothers" of the CCB lineup. But this one stands on it's own in my opinion. A very well balanced, and unique take on a red ale. Well done.

JackMcAwesome, Jan 06, 2014

KevinGordon, Jul 28, 2013

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This beer is brewed by Cigar City for the Tampa Bay Brew Bus. It pours out a dark red color with an off-white head. The aroma is rich and malty with caramel and coffee notes. The taste is robustly malty, it's huge on caramel malt flavors. There's a bit of thin coffee flavors and chocolate on the finish. The mouthfeel is lighter and well-carbonated, and the drinkability is very good. Overall, a solid malty red.

shand, Jun 15, 2012

Erice78, Jun 27, 2013

mikehillman, Aug 20, 2013

DanielHansen0214, Aug 09, 2014

Arsenal0328, May 23, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: pours into my pint glass a deep caramel and copper color. A nice half finger tan head and minimal lacing.
S: Sweet and semi reminiscent of a Belgian strong dark ale, if you can believe that. Caramel malt, sugar and dark fruit are all in play. Surprisingly complex.
T: complex, like the nose. Starts with the sweet caramel flavors and blends with dark fruit. Toward the back there is a slight tartness and a tad of a hop snap.
M: medium carbonation with a body to match. Slightly creamy and nice aftertaste.
O: this brew was more complex than expected and not quite true to the style. I live their interpretation though. More Irish red/ Belgian dark than American Red in NY opinion. Cigar City does not disappoint.

Infamous7100, Jul 07, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

Hmmm. Something seems amiss here.

The nose initially struck me as having a very Flanders tone to it. I figured maybe that was just something that was there for the start and it would fade. The flavor profile follows suit in very much the same fashion though. Tart and fruity wood is definitely showing here, in a lasting fashion.

I doubt that what I got here was the intended outcome (will do some research to find out precisely), but what I got, I liked. If the beer is supposed to be like this, it'd be an instant hit for me and I'd be going to get more.

RblWthACoz, Mar 03, 2013
3.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Thanks to Matt at Cont. Liquors-Ashland, Ky. for this. We had a small tasting of this.

12 oz brown bottle with a neat red and white label describing what this beer is about and pretty much advertising the brew bus or whatever it was. Pretty cool labeling though not normal Cigar City style. Poured this into a pint style glass.

A - deep amber brown with a deep murky red hue. Beige like head was pretty thin and settled to a light ring of lacing leaving minimal stick. I thought the color was brilliant though the head lacked therefore not quite living up to its outstanding color.

S - dark fruits and a lot of dark fruit for that matter. Sweet bread aroma with brown nearly sugary malt. Overall aroma is pretty sweet and fruity. Nothing coming full force and nothing that screams American Amber/red ale in terms of smell anyway.

T - lots of dark fruitiness up front and continuing with a tartness toward the middle of the flavor. Bread like malt notes come through before a semi dry finish. Flavor is a bit odd for the style it claims to be. There is a lot going on with a big load of dark fruitiness and near tart strangeness.

M - damn smooth ill give it that. On the light side, but no matter the tart and fruitiness flavors it still coats the mouthfeel with what flavor it has. Very easy going and drinkable for me. Not sure everyone can enjoy straight up fruit and tart character though.

O - I've had a lot of brews from Cigar City yet for whatever reason this will be my first actual review from the Tampa, Florida outfit. Ill definitely have to throw some more on here from those guys as this doesn't quite sum up their style. I just can't say I just had an American red ale with this. It had some quality and despite its smoothness and very good dark fruit flavors I don't see a masterpiece with Rollin' Dirty. However it is what would be considered a rare try here where I live, so it's cool to get to try something I've never seen nor will ever see again. Hey, I'll give it props if it indeed was brewed on a bus lmao! I mean what more could be done in that regard? This ale was more of an appreciation to a great brewery and a rare treat given I've never had anything quite like it. It's not American amber, not a Scottish ale, and its not quite a Flanders red, but all be damn if it didn't remind me of all 3 in some way if not hitting close to the mark in one of the latter 2. Just not quite taking the step to an actual style. It's a one of a kind for me and that's enough to give it a shot. I look to get ahold of more Cigar City in the future for sure, I just don't know that I'll be buying any more than a single bottle of this when that happens.

BradtheGreat7, Jun 05, 2013