Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - California Brandy Barrel Aged - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - California Brandy Barrel AgedHunahpu's Imperial Stout - California Brandy Barrel Aged

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 05-18-2013

Ratings: 565 | Reviews: 52
4.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Woah! Whale. This and/or the Baird apple brandy version have been long-time wants of mine. Thanx, as always, to Cam for sharing during another epic Stoutfest.

Typical Hunahpu's appearance. Thick and oily black pour, dark brown head, decent retention, legs on the glass.

The smell is absurdly decadent and interesting. Tons of fudgy chocolate desserts, granny smith apples, brandy, truffles, some dark fruits and roast. Light spiciness and vanilla presence. Awesome and potent, didn't want to stop sniffin' this one.

Taste, wow. Apple brandy and chili spice are definitely upped in the profile, still tons of chocolate vanilla dessert madness. Less roasty than the scent and the original Hunahpu's, but there is just enough of it to balance out the sweetness. Lingering spice in the aftertaste.

A little less hefty than the regular version but otherwise similar, oily texture with lowish carbonation. Brandy is prevalent but not much for booze.

Enlightening beer for me. Unique, complex, crazy stout - rich chocolate fudge, apple brandy, chili spice?? Quite drinkable somehow too. Very awesome.

4.24/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml poured into Hunahpu snifter. Huge thanks to dachshunddude86 for the bottle.

A - Pours a very deep, murky black. Minimal dark brown head rises as it settles. Looks as though you're staring into the abyss... and I'm not talking about the beer.

S - I don't find this aspect overly pleasant like some others do. Smells of roasted malts, burnt dark chocolate, and cinnamon. A bit like an over-cooked mexican chocolate cake. I am surprised at the lack of barrel smell. Where's the vanilla?

T - Much better then the smell. Starts off with rich chocolate dominating. Followed up by a menagerie of different flavors. Cinnamon, roast, a hint of sweet vanilla and charred pepper, and oak. Not much of the brandy to be found though. Still, this is one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

M - Thick and viscous. Coats every pore in your mouth and begs you to go slow with this. The glass retains a brown hue after swirling. This beer begs you to share it with 2-4 people. The flavors hang around for a good 5-10 minutes after each sip. I'm doming it though, so to press on I'm sipping a glass of water with it. For 12.5%, the alcohol is no where to be found, and I mean NO WHERE.

O - I'm really glad I got to try this. I'm also looking forward to seeing what CCB does with this beer in the future. I would like to try one though that has a strong barrel presence, but perhaps that wasn't the point with this beer. The bit of oak plays well with the base Hunahpu and is just an explosion of taste. Well done, CCB.

3.42/5  rDev -25.2%

750 ml waxed bottle served in a Funky Buddha snifter. Thanks to Matt for the share.

A: Pours a dark black color with a dark tan head forming on the pour. It recedes slowly to a thick ring that has some splotchy lace.

S: Brandy sweetness and fruitiness upfront. Pretty boozy on the nose with a nice chocolate character. Dark fruit with some light acetone/nail polish on the finish.

T: Lots of chocolate and cinnamon notes with a light brandy sweetness. Mild fruitiness from the brandy, a little oak and some dark fruit as wel.

M: Thick bodied with a medium low carbonation level. Smooth finish.

O: Probably the worst of the Huna barrel treatments I've had. The brandy didn't compliment the base at all and it was far too fruity for my liking. Apple Brandy or GTFO.

4.79/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark chocolate brown with light brown head to it

S - Sweet vanilla, chocolate, light marshmallow and a brandy sweetness. The brandy coming through also gives it a slightly booze

T - Mexican chocolate, light pepper, sweet vanilla, caramel, dark fudge to it. The brandy comes through that gives it a light alcohol kick and a great sweetness. The brandy really adds a nice complexion to it the beer. Cinnamon comes through more as it warms up

MF - Thick creamy body with a light spice from the pepper. Not much booziness that comes through.

O - Really an amazing beer where the California Brandy adds some subtlety and complexity to regular Huna.

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared among friends and poured into a mini-snifter
I think I got one of the good bottles that are still left out there

A - Dark as night with a minimal mocha foam head. Pours very viscous and thick. This was poured at around 55 degrees and was allowed to warm up quickly using the mini snifter. Very very dark pour with not much carbonation

S - Smell is of brandy, chocolate, roasty coffee bitterness, with hints of cinnamon but not much heat. This smelled really good we all agreed.

T - Taste is more of chocolate fudge in your face with hints of cinnamon on the back-end that pairs with some vanilla and brandy notes. People say this is a shell of it's former self, but this was just as good as 2014 reg hunahpu

M - Thick, chewy, creamy and smooth. Cigar city never disappoints on this aspect

O - Overall, better than 2014 Hunahpu, but it doesn't stack up to DB Huna. I thought this was still excellent and might be worth seeking out again seeing as how the value has dropped pretty significantly

4.23/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I would honestly rather have a reg Huna

A- motor oil, very little carbonation, no lacing.

S- Muted form of Huna. I get some chocolate. The vanilla aroma has been torn off from this Brandy aging. Smells pretty good, but not reg Huna good.

T- Muted Huna again. Very little vanilla, not sure how much good the brandy aging did. I had a friend who is Catador who told me to not bother with trying to get this bottle, and he was right. I would rather have traded this for two Hunas.

M- No carbonation, the mouthfeel is actually made way thinner from the barrel aging.

O- I see a lot of people trying to trade for this bottle. I don't see why.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I got this bottle at the brewery from winning a raffle at Proof Brewing Co. I drove to and went with the guy who I'm sharing this bottle with.

Pours an oily, inky black. A healthy amount of thick, slightly creamy, dark chocolate colored head. Head lasted well, and faded into a 1/8 inch collar that has held really well.

I get a lot of vanilla in the aroma. Some sweet, earthy, woody brandy too. A nice backbone of roasted malt and dark chocolate.

Really creamy and thick boys, very low carbonation.

Taste is the sweet brandy up front, nice dark chocolate and vanilla in he aftertaste. The mid-palate is a touch of vegetal chile, and mostly the deep malt.

4.84/5  rDev +5.9%

Had at huna day. Amazing. Had it back to back with double barrel huna and this rivals DBH. Delivers exceptionally in every aspect. BA huna continues to top my list of stouts.

3.58/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer has fallen off. Had it last month with a good friend, it's nothing but Brandy now.
In fact we all preferred a 2012 Black Tuesday over this beer. It's got an awesome aroma if you like Brandy, I do, but the taste itself is just too damn harsh. Compared to when these were first release this beer is a pale ghost of it's former greatness.

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

PBW-2014, Resurrection Ale House (very small, understaffed to have Hunah on tap, got in line, begged for 15 min for a glass, got one!!! It kicked in about 20 min.)

Appearance-classic big stout, dark, some big tan head and lacing, some carbonation that dissipates.

Smell-very nice with all the oaky, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon & sweet from the brandy barrel. As it warmed it smelled like a cinnamon Danish fresh from a bakery. Mmmmm

Taste--another slight layer on top of classic Hunahpu (one of my all time faves). Base stout is wonderful, as it warms and changes you get more pronounced tastes from the brandy, the chocolate and the slight evening out bite of the chilies.

Mouthfeel--not too thick, but not thin--just right really. Coats the tongue before, during and hangs on after the sip.

Overall--better than original ?? A bit different nuance on the classic, one of the best in the world (to me) barrel-aged/flavored stout. Cigar City---you ARE the reigning champions.

4.51/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Trent Steel for the share!

Pours like darkness, very little head. Prominent Cinnamon, but no heat from spices. Chocolate. Did I mention cinnamon? Reminiscent of my unicorn Abraxas, but I feel Abraxas finishes better. A little thin, but definitely not thin at all. Almost feel bad for guzzling mine, but at least I smacked my lips a lot to get the full flavor across my palate. I've been waiting to try Hunahpu for quite some time since I had the revelation that I love my chili stouts. This did not disappoint. A great whale to share.

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours like a CCB stout - pitch black oil/melted brownie with a burnt mocha head, very minimal - some lacing sticks around - stains the glass brown when swirling in the glass. Not as dark as MZ but beautiful menacing stout none-the-less.

Aroma of muted Hunahpu spices, rich chocolate, and brandy. All integrated very beautifully - as it warms chili, cinnamon, and vanilla come through. Not a very aromatic beer, but very nice.

Tastes astounding - incredibly vibrant, rich, decadent, smooth, sticky, slick. The brandy adds a great element to the base beer with sweet fruits and apple skin, some heat as well. The chocolate explodes as it does in Huna and MZ, smooth vanilla and some spices. Just excellent.

Outstanding beer - not necessarily better than Huna or Zhukov, just another fantastic take on a great beer. Highly recommended.

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shared a bottle with Dan (netdigger2) after tasting the set of barrel-aged Mexican Cake variants.

A: Pours a viscous, pitch black with minimal head. Leaves behind oily legs between sips.

S: Wonderfully sweet brandy and chocolate notes with hint of pepper and a decent amount of alcohol.

T: There is a complex sweetness that comes up, but evolves quickly into a bitter dark chocolate. There is a ton of smooth, roasty malt flavors in here with hints of vanilla and toffee. Decent amount of pepper, too. The after taste is a bitterness similar to a good dark chocolate.

M: Very thick and lightly carbonated. Leaves behind a dry finish similar to a good, dry wine.

Overall: Absolutely delicious brew. I mean, it's a Hunahpu so of course it's good, but the brandy barrels don't really seem to play a big role here. Not sure the hype on this is merited.

4.89/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

My friend Andy was fortunate enough to get this in a trade with someone.
Andy has now privileged us with trying this, and a 2012 Huna the other day.
We poured this into small sample glasses, among four of us.

I really loved this beer.

Pours a dark dark brown, like one of those stouts that looks like straight motor oil. Hold this up to the brightest of lights, and you will still not see through it. No sign of head (if so, very little).

The smell! Oh my god the smell. It's a pleasant scrumptious, graham cracker, mixed with peppers, and the best malt smells you can get from a stout.

This has to be my favorite stout I have ever had at my young age of 23.
But I have a hard time believing anything will rival it anytime soon.
It brings all the wonderful roasted chocolaty malts from Huna, along with the perfect balance of peppery spices. Like one of those REAL chocolate bars with peppers in them.
SUCH A pleasant mouthfeel, so smooth, no hotness, the lingering tastes are just exactly what I would want from any stout.

4.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a wax sealed bottle in a snifter.

A: Just how I like my Imperial Stouts. It pours almost pitch black with the tiniest blood red tint. A small head that disperses quickly leaving a mirror like surface staring back a you. Reminds me of a lake on a moonless night.

S: The first whiff is of strong chocolate with some sweetness hiding in there. No signs of Brandy at my first pour. As it warms though the sweet smell dirs of a bit giving way to the same strong Choclate aroma but, now their are hints of chili and just a little Brandy aroma comes peaking through. I got no signs of Vanilla or Cinnamon from my nose but I'm not complaining.

T: Similar to the aroma at first. Strong tastes of Chocolate and a burnt sweetness settle on my tounge. The breath out reveals some vanilla and definitely some Brandy in there. As it warmed the Chili and Cinnamon step up to the plate as well as a more pronounced Brandy flavor. Throughout the entire experience the slighty burnt flavor plays on the toungue. A complex beer on the palate for sure.

M: She's a thick one. A full bodied Stout with low carbonation. Slides right off the tounge and down the throat. There's some spiciness and heat that follow. I almost want to call it a lingering silky or oily feeling. Perfect for a Stout.

O: If you get the opportunity this is definitely one to try. A deep complexity with a great smoothness. Definitely on my list of great beers to watch for.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Review from a bottle generously shared at last Borefts. I originately wanted to try it side by side with my bottle of Laird's Apple Brandy Huna and missed the opportunity. Whatever, I guess I'll have others!
Pours dark, opaque, very thick.
The barrel ageing is obvious from the nose with more booze than the regular huna, some brandy and white fruits on top of the roasted malt and chocolate. Peppery finish.
The taste is less focused on the balance between chocolate and chili than the regular version, the chocolate isn't actually the dominant flavor, being mellowed in roasted malt and some coffee flavor. The complexity comes from the barrel treatment with some noticeable booze, hints of pear and apple and a vanilla sweetness. Finishes with spicies and chilies with a moderately hot aftertaste.
Thick and heavy mouthfeel, not sticky, but a bit too hot considering booze and chili.
The barrel ageing changes the base beer quite a lot, it brings more complexity but withdraw some of the delightful fudge and chili chocolate from the base beer. I'm now curious to see the effect of other barrel ageing on Huna.

4.19/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Did not like this as much as the other Hunahpu variants, and I know it's a favorite of some. I think the bottle that I had was not taken care of very well by my buddy who opened it. I was hit in the face by the chilis and that is abnormal (for me) for Huna. Overall a world class beer, but doesn't hang with even the regular Huna.

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a Midnight black almost like motor oil with a lovely dark Brown Head.
S- the smell of Brandy barrels is all over this one with a nice lovely hint of cacao.
T- tastes of Brandy with a nice Chocolate background working together.
M- thick almost like syrupy oil.
O- this thing is amazing and im so thankful that i was able to try a bottle of this. thanks Jonathan for hooking it up.

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I got two of these bottles by winning a raffle at WOB Sarasota. I basically hit the PowerBall!

Smell- You get the smell of Cocoa, Brandy , Cinnamon, vanilla, and espresso.

Taste - You deff can taste the barrel flavor. There is also some espresso and peppers on the back of the pallet.

Mouth- Thick mouthfeel. You can drink it cold or room temp. Either way it is enjoyable.

Overall-Excellent ! You cannot go wrong with anything from CCB.

6/4/14: Had this amazing brew on tap at Philly Beer Week. This was the second time in a year that I've had the pleasure of drinking this beer. Last time was October 2013. In that time, I have had BCBS for the first time and several other barrel aged stouts (my favorite type of beer). I would love to try some of the other Hunahpu variants if ever presented with the opportunity. But at this point I have to say that the Brandy Barrel Aged version is still as good as it was 7 months ago. The smell and taste are the highlights and this beer is highly recommended if you get the opportunity to taste it.

4.73/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Got this in an IP trade from Ben from Angry Chair. The best IP trade ever.

Appearance: Pours a motor oil black with a half a finger of a brown head - almost identical to Zhukov. Blackest beers I've ever seen.

Smell: Smells of brandy, chocolate, dark chocolate mainly with some sweet milk chocolate hidden at the end. Cocoa, coffee, espresso, roast, cinnamon, sweet syrupy scent. A faint spicy heat from the peppers and vanilla.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose with that barrel character coming out more in the taste followed by a hint of that heat from the peppers that slides down your throat and warms.

Mouthfeel: Almost no alcohol (until it warms a little - then it get a little boozy). Thick mouthfeel - feels oily.

Overall: Amazing amazing stuff. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and it's in the same league as regular Huna or Zhukov. They're all amazing.

Pitch black glass stainer. Light rum and brandy notes. Base beer shines with vanilla. Spirit animal: albino sperm whale.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Consumed alongside Amplitude and DB Hunahpu's- poured into a CCB snifter

Pours black with cascades of tan bubbles and a thick mocha head.

Smell is reminiscent of standard Hunahpu's with some toasted oak.

Taste falls kinda flat with a great base stout, yet muddied spice character and no detectable brandy.

Mouthfeel is heavy and syrupy.

Overall, great stout, but could use some refining.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks Axic10 for opening this for my engagement. Poured into a 2012 Huna Day snifter

Appearance: A decadent opaque deep espresso brown with one finger of mocha head that eventually dissipates into a spotty ring. Very nice retention here. Nice dark coating on the glass reminiscent of the base beer

Aroma: Cinnamon and cocao dominant with light brandy sweetness; in no way overbearing.

Taste: Dark chocolate and roasted malts; brandy sweetness really brings out the vanilla and other base beer ingredients. Although unlike in the nose I do not detect any cinnamon. Lots of dry oaky goodness in the finish; charred oak. This is a very complex beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy with low to moderate carbonation and a very dry finish

Overall: Excellent. What you would expect from a Huna variant. Very complex flavor profile really brought out by the brandy

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had at the hunahpu's vertical dinner.

A- same as regular. black as shoe polish

S- Chocolate, chile, vanilla, with the added layer of brandy sweetness

T- Very little "boozy" taste to it. The brandy compliments the notes already in Huna perfectly. best way to improve upon an already stellar beer

M- thick and sticky. very little to no carbonation

O- simply excellent. Can't wait to see what variation is done for this year's Hunahpu's

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - California Brandy Barrel Aged from Cigar City Brewing