Cervezas Frescas: Horchata Ale - Cigar City Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by Culture:
2.37/5  rDev -37.5%

On tap at Vine & Barley Palm City. Served in a tumbler.

Appearance - Clear golden body, slight haze. No head. Thin collar.

Smell - Lots of vanilla. Some pale malts. Don't get much lactose out of it.

Taste - Sweet. Not refreshing at all, really. Vanilla most prominent and now I get the lactose. Cinnamon spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Funny medicinal aftertaste. I can't put my finger on it, but I keep going back to figure it out. Like a car accident you can't turn away from.

Overall - I'm not getting it. I'm not familiar with a horchata, but this doesn't make me want to know more. Saving grace is that it isn't undrinkably bad, just bad.

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

On tap. I thought this beer was a great take on horchata. It was a sweet beer but I didn't think it was overly sweet. I was also expecting a sweetness as horchata is usually sweet. I think this particular beer needs the sweetness, just my opinion. The nose was very similar to the taste although I think the "horchata flavor" came through more in the taste than the nose. Somehow the beer has a super creamy flavor while remaining mostly clear and a pale yellowish color. Taste is delicious, no hint of any alcohol. Very similar to horchata with a nice hint of a light refreshing beer taste in the background. Quite easy drinking although this is not a beer I would want to drink every day and definitely not a session beer.

Overall I liked it and would buy it again. Something different that I would recommend to anyone, even non beer lovers as this beer is like nothing I have ever tasted before.... except horchata ;)

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at CCB tasting room. Served in a pint glass.

A: Somewhat hazy gold, with a finger and a half's worth of white foamy head and minimal visible carbonation.

S: Grainy, fleshy fruits, lightly tart, and some spices (cinnamon? nutmeg?).

T: Sweet candied fruit, grainy bready malt, coconut or maybe coconut milk, vanilla. And a flavor that I associate with powdered sugar - a strange flavor to find in any liquid. Not a whole lot lingers after the swallow - just a bit of sweetness.

M: Medium body, sticky chewy mouthfeel, and low alcohol presence, especially for the listed ABV.

O: Not altogether bad, but significantly too sweet for my taste.

3.96/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On Nitro at the House of Brews in Jensen Beach

A – Slight golden/yellow pour with a fairly aggressive stark white head produced from the nitro.

S – Light fruits like orange and lemon, vanilla.

T – Immediately reminded me of the fruit slices you get at your local grocery store. Mix of tropical fruit taste with a chase of vanilla. Just a bit of the sweet side but not cloying. No alcohol taste at all. Remins me of drinking fresca or sprite.

M – Creamy with a light to medium body. Finishes very cleanly and leaves no trace on the palate.

O – Well I was skeptical of this but this was a winner for me. It is not my typical beer type but on a hot summer day this is a refreshing brew. Clean, easy drinker and taste great ice cold.

to view more.