The Ghost Of Hunahpu - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: wiltznucs on 07-13-2013

Apple brandy Hunahpu with ghost chiles.
to view more.
Ratings: 39 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by mlhyatt:
4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Hunahpu Day. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Inky black. Mocha head. Stains the glass, as all these variants do.

Smell - Smells peppery. Much more intense pepper flavor than regular Hunahpu. Cinnamon and chocolate push through.

Taste - Initially, the pepper isn't that intense. It blends very well with the chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla from the base beer. Rich chocolate. Then the spice kicks in. Like habanero peppers. It isn't overwhelming, but it lingers a while.

Mouthfeel - Spicy. Heavy and boozy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Intriguing, but no real improvement on the base beer. Small sips of this are all I would be able to take.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap Saturday at the brewery. Yes, this has some heat, but it's not nearly as bad as Habanero Sculpin. Your lips tingle, but the amazing Hunahpu base shines through, and my God is it glorious. Saw people pouring this out... for shame. I'd have bought a crowler of it and domed it if I could have!

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The Ghost of Hunahpu is intense. All of the notes you've come to love from Brandy Barrel Aged Hunahpu with the intense afterburn of ghost chiles. Good thing it comes in only 5oz servings as anything more would be a violation of the Geneva Convention statutes on torture. Definitely a must try for beer lovers or pepper enthusiasts...

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%

Had this beer at Hunahpu Day 2014. Was wary of trying it for fear of wrecking my palate for the rest of the tasting (after reading reviews of people who had tasted it before). This version of Hunahpu was not as-bad as I had read in other reviews. The ghost chili is definitely present, and if you were not ready for it, I could see this really being a turn-off. The heat comes on late, which is interesting and I think characteristic of the ghost chili in general. I only got to taste a half of a few ounce pour. I could NOT see drinking a full pour of this.

Overall, I don't see the point in a beer like this because too many people taste that type of pepper too differently. It wasn't bad--it was gimmicky. Glad I got to taste, but would not seek out again.

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

I had a small pour of this from a growler from a CCB rep at a beer event in Athens. (Thanks guy!)

Looks just like BA Hunahpu. Smells like Huna with peppers. Has the same mouthfeel as Huna. The taste is mostly Brandy Hunahpu with a massive amount of heat and subtle flavors from the Jolokia peppers.

I really liked this beer. I love Brandy Huna as well as chili beers in general. I'll admit, the heat from the Jolokia was intense, but it was still manageable. Others in my group didn't agree.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hot Hot Hot! the Peppers really add a kick to an already fantastic beer.

to view more.