Follow our progress ...

Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by wiltznucs on 08-14-2013

Reviews: 88 | Ratings: 768

Balanced with strong coffee notes. Luckily, I was able to score a glass of it during the Cigar City takeover at Three Floyds in the fall of 2015, because the Blackhawks had defeated the Lightning in the Stanley Cup. A great coffee stout, but I do prefer Bourbon County more. Had a bottle of it in March of 2016 and it was very bitter from strong dark chocolate and expresso. Also tasted somewhat smoked and ashy. Definitely a sipping beer.

I cannot find anything wrong with this beer. Thick black pouring with brown head .Coffee and vanilla on the nose. Tastes amazing nice coffee a little vanilla some chocolate, and no bitterness like I get on most coffee stouts

This is the best coffee beer I've had all year!

Pours black with a caramel color head. Notes of coffee, roast, and sweetness on the nose. The taste at first was pinch of sweetness followed by a strong espresso flavor. More robust than most coffee beers I've had this year. Its rounded out with chocolate and a mouthfeel made it seem like creamer was present. As it warmed up tho, you could really start to smell the vanilla and it gradually made its way to the forefront of the beer. I;m not sure if this was due the warm of the beer or my palette getting use to the flavor. My friend picked up on the vanilla right away but for me it took almost half the beer and the warmth.

CCB is really killing it with this year's batch.

Best coffee beer I've had in 2015, maybe of all time. Though, they are different beers, I feel it rivals Morning Delight. No inherent flaws I'm finding, it just seems perfect, I hope this stays away from barrel aging.

Drinking it now.. Out the bottle the smell of coffee and chocolate...Fragrance is amazing! Reminds me of Cuban coffee with chocolate and a tinge of vanilla. Viscous mouth feel and the flavors are balanced. PERFECT coffee beer expression. Excellent pairing with a medium to full body cigar.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a dark brown, with a one-finger, creamy brown head.
Smells of a huge, dark roast coffee, with Dark chocolate malts. Molasses and Carmel smell sneaks in.
The taste on this is amazing. The coffee taste is up there with the best I've ever had. Definitely a dark roast. The first thing that jumped into my mind was a fresh, local sugar cone taste. Hops are also present and very much enjoyed. A wonderful blend of chocolate malt, Carmel and vanilla, with the slightest touch of licorice. This comes together so wonderfully well.
The finish continues the complexity in this one. A little burn on the way down from the hops, and my soul is smiling for 30 seconds after every sip. I rate this with the big bourbon barrel beers of Bourbon County, and Avery without the bourbon. Why oh why didn't I buy more when I was on vacation.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 2015 22oz bomber into CCB snifter. Looks like Expresso, smells like a Chocolate Cappuccino. Tastes like coffee heaven. Wow is all I can say. Perfect balance of roasted malt and coffee. Dark chocolate and sweetened Expresso play with the pallet. It gets better as it warms up. If there is a coffee aficionado in your life, you are obligated to have them try this, it will change there life. This is the best coffee stout made to date, period! 4.90

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Wow this is delicious. Full bodied as hell. The one thing I didn't like was it felt like the beer couldn't decide between Coffee and Coco. For some reason it just didn't connect right for me. But it was one of the best Imperials I have had.
Wish it wasn't so expensive. But glad I got a few to try. Pick one up if you see it!

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

huge coffee aroma and roasty malts hit you hard as first whiff. dark liquid and caramel head is smooth as silk on the tongue. i love buddy brew and whatever they do to the coffee before they give it to ccb! its like a fresh pot in your nose when you wake up in the morning! overall i am upset total wine was out after the purchase of my first 2!

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Cigar City - Caffè Americano. Double Stout brewed with coffee, cacao nibs and vanilla beans. Rated 99/100 on BeerAdvocate (11%) brewed in Tampa, Florida.

"Traditional Caffè Americano is made by adding water to espresso. We break all the rules with this Double Stout. We refuse to add water to our beer after fermentation, but have no issues adding beer to our espresso. This deep, dark stout exhibits rich espresso and coffee notes, which are contributed by the generous use of roasted barley and espresso locally roasted by Buddy Brew Coffee. That simply is not enough for us. We also add roasted, raw chocolate and a hint of vanilla to this big bodied stout. Dodge the red eye and take a shot of the dark."

This is going to be a treat. A beer without water, but coffee added with locally sourced coffee, chocolate , and vanilla. Can you say diabetes? This is probably going to be one epic review.

Pour: One of the darkest beers I have ever seen in my life. Darker than Marshal Zhukov and Imperial Biscotti Break. This beer poured motor oil black, with a nice brownie dark chocolate head, which is easily the darkest head I have came across yet. The lacing on this beer sticks like melted chocolate in a bowl; sticky with a nice even coated ring around the whole glass. This beer looks so fricken delicious. My favorite types of stouts are the ones with these kind of looks.

Aroma: Am I in Heaven? Or leading myself into a chocolate factory Hell? This is the most well balanced chocolate and coffee forward beer I have smelt. Incredible gobs of chocolate covered coffee beans, espresso, brownies, chocolate syrup, and vanilla. It's a symphony of diabetes, but it's the most beautiful aromatic stout I have had to date. I mean literally, this is chocolate and coffee all the way. I do get a bit of an alcohol aroma as well, but at 11% I was expecting that, and with no water in this beer at all, this is so impressive. Better aromatics than Zhukov at least two fold. Awesome smelling beer!

Taste: My God.. This is the best non barrel aged stout I have ever had. So fricken awesome! Immediately on my mouth I get a super thick and heavy mouthfeel with waves of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Then a slight pop of espresso and brownie and sugar. I mean it's literally like sipping on melted down chocolate and some coffee, exactly and maybe some Ben and Jerry's Brownie batter ice cream. This is the thickest stout I have had to date! It's not overly sweet, it's perfectly balanced with coffee and chocolate. Amazing beer.

Verdict: 5/5. If you love coffee and chocolate, please seek this beer out if you can. This is a gem of a beer. I wish breweries would start using only ingredients like coffee instead of water.. It gives beers a higher level of complexity and flavor. The best non-barrel aged stout to date. Cheers!

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottled 5/1/2015. Oily dark black body, one finger mocha head. Lots of coffee, chocolate and vanilla on the nose. The taste follows the aroma. Very strong coffee, the strongest I have tasted in an imperial stout. Excellent bitter coffee finish. Felt very rich. An outstanding non BA stout, no doubt.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

22 oz bomber poured into my Goose Island Bourbon County 2015 snifter. This is most likely the best non-BA coffee stout I've had. Depth of flavor on palate, dimensions on the nose especially as it warms...oaky, char-filled presence loaded with espresso and 11% ABV to boot. You cannot go wrong with this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Look jet black pour almost no head. Super thick and oily pour.
Smells like dark rich coffee with some chocolate and vanilla in the back ground.
Taste is very very coffee forward with some chocolatey sweetness coming through mid palate, finishing back with coffee bitterness.
Mouthfeel is pretty thick and coating without overdoing it. Goes down smooth and leaves you wanting another sip.
Overall outstanding beer, but is a little overdone on the coffee if you don't love coffee stouts don't seek this out you'll be very dissapointed as that is definitely the main flavor, but I definitely recommend seeking this out once. It is up there with speedway as my favorite stout absolutely incredible beer.

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

2015 - poured 22oz bottle into chalice. Obsidian black with a thin 1 finger brown ring. Small amounts of lacing on the glass. Looks very enticing. A deep roast with espresso, dark chocolate, vanilla and caramel. One of the most inviting beer aromas. Flavor is deep decadent chocolate with a good amount of espresso, and coffee. The vanilla, caramel and coca give it a pleasant sweeter balance.So complex and so well blended together. It's all there and I can't imagine a better tasting coffee beer.Smooth, rich, velvety and decadent. CC nailed this beer and it is the best non BA coffee stout that I have enjoyed.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Out of a bottle into my tulip.
A – Black, really black..so black it looks purple. Nice frothy chocolate milk colored head that stayed around and had small amounts of lacing.
S – Light and sweet cream smell. Reminds me of a milk stout. Chocolate, coffee and vanilla.
T - Super punch of coffee/espresso right off. Very light cream taste to follow. Aroma is much stronger of cream then the taste. Slight bitter bite follows. Not nearly as sweet as the smell again suggests. Roasted malts in the mix.
M – Lightly carbonated. Coats the palate with stouty goodness. Thick baby!
O – Delicious. Was worried that this one would be too sweet but not a chance. Its dead on tasty. Catapults into my Top 10. If you like coffee you will love this one. Hot damn! Now to find more…

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The aroma smacks with tons of coffee, fudge, vanilla, toffee, milk chocolate, creamy latte, peppery spice.

The flavor follows with that fudgey coffee note, sweet milk chocolate, lingering roasted malts, and deep caramel sweetness, coffee, tons of bittersweet chocolate. A decadent coffee imperial stout.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A surprise favorite for me. I've been drinking mostly IPAs lately, but tried this. What a joy. Perfect balance of body, and coffee flavor. Not too sweet, not too heavy. A perfect dark beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Have had on regular pour, nitro growler, and now nitro pour.

A- Black as oil like you would expect from CCB. Very small, tan head forms at the top. Stains my hands like Hunahpu's if you spill a drop.

S- Coffee, chocolate, a spice I am assuming to enhance the coffee flavor.

T- Unreal good coffee flavor. This competes with some of the best coffee stouts out there IMHO. Chocolate adds a nice balance so it isn't too much sweet or acidic coffee.

M- thick and coats perfectly. Carbonation is a little low but still very enjoyable.

O- love this beer and hope it stays on their tap/growler list for some time.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Growler huge huge thanks to wickedtoaster (Reddit) for this amazing beverage. Filled about a week ago.

Great looking creamy foamy 1/2 finger head fades at a med pace, huge legs and decent lacing, ridiculously super dark pitch black beer. Practically strains the glass.

Nose brings pure awesome coffee, a light nutty aroma, nutty coffee mostly, little dark caramel and dark malts, chewy like dark molasses maybe, great awesomeness of coffee mild nutty and dark malts, hint cocoa, little syrup.

Taste is amazing, super thick dark malts, loads of chocolate and coffee. Dark thick melted bakers choc, creamy like maybe oats, milk choc, etc. Great nutty coffee, lots of awesome coffee, fresh roasted coffee beans. Then mild caramel and toffee like characters, into mild booze characters, little warming slight tingly booze. so much creamy awesome coffee dark choc goodness. Finish is a bit dry but lots more dark malt, bakers choc, little bitterness, little dark choc oat character, great awesomeness.

Mouth is full bod, super thick little booze, decent carb.

Overall holy shit! This is up there with the best beers I've ever had. So much awesome, I'm glad I was able to try this. We had a slew of amazing beers on the night and this was the winner big time! Big thanks Chris!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know it's not BA...but this beer is absolutely amazing. Doesn't taste like cold brew so much as chilled shots of sweet thick espresso. Features the rich taste of in-your-face coffee better than any other beer I've ever tried. Smooth and thick and rich. Highly recommend trying this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thick, gooey, black pour. Love the espresso smell that comes thru. Tastes of the added chocolate and get milk chocolate and vanilla and smooth tastes that just come one after another drinking this beer. Excellent slick mouth feel coating my tongue. A great beer!!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Huge thanks to JLindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a motor oil hue with a nice one finger mocha head that left tremendous legs and leopardess spotty lacing. This is just incredible.

S - Aromas of TONS of coffee, dark and rich, creamy, smooth, iced coffee on the nose.

T - Taste is just incredible, stupendous coffee and chocolate notes, bitter roast, chocolate rich and bakers chocolate, super creamy and code, like a mocha cappuccino. Super nice bitter roast with a nice lingering creamy iced coffee notes, incredible.

M - Mouthfeel is just silly creamy delicious, just velvet goodness.

O - Overall this is an incredible beer, so much coffee especially on the finish. Drinks like an iced coffee with rich expensive coffee notes. Exceptional.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served alongside the rum version.

Near black opaque body with a thin, dark beige collar. Grandiose aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla. Rich and beautiful. This is simply fantastic. Superb flavor and balance. Viscous and palate coating, yet so smooth and easy. World class.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thick creamy appearance with a fluffy mocha head, alcohol legs, and spotty thick lacing. Slight vegetal nose, slight chocolate, slight alcohol. Chocolate, coffee, slight alcohol, mild peppery finish on the palette. Mouthfeel is thick creamy and chewy. This is a creamy coffee chocolate alcohol milkshake, I need at least one more bottle.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look - dark pitch black. Some head on the pour.

Smell - lots and lots kd coffee.

Taste - lot of coffee, again. Somewhat similar to Prarie BOMB! but with more coffee and less chocolate.

Feel - very smooth. No taste of booziness whatsoever despite double digit abv.

Overall - an excellent coffee stout that hits all the right notes if enjoy coffee flavor in your beer. Highly recommended.

Caffè Americano from Cigar City Brewing