Caffè Americano - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: wiltznucs on 08-14-2013

Traditional Caffè Americano is made by adding water to espresso. We break all the rules with this Double Stout. We refuse to add water to our beer after fermentation, but have no issues adding beer to our espresso. This deep, dark stout exhibits rich espresso and coffee notes, which are contributed by the generous use of roasted barley and espresso locally roasted by Buddy Brew Coffee. That simply is not enough for us. We also add roasted, raw chocolate and a hint of vanilla to this big bodied stout. Dodge the red eye and take a shot of the dark.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery, nitro tap. Pours thick and rich with a dark brown head. Huge coffee and chocolate in the aroma coming off a dark brown creamy head. Bittersweet coffee flavor and full body, then comes the chocolate sauce and more coffee. No sign of the 9.2% ABV. Also had this in the morning at a Kegs and Eggs brunch at the brewery and still tasted great. Maybe a bit much for breakfast... Just awesome. Very sweet. Wow.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: Co2 Growler filled on 8/31 pored into a snifter.(also had fresh on nitro at the brewery)

A: Yet another CCB stout very dark, almost pitch black with little light penetrating. A very small dark brown head which retreats into a nice crown rather quickly.

S: On my first whiff I immediately pick up Coffee and Chocolate with hints of dark roasted malt. A bit of sweetness comes through at the end as well.

T: The taste follows the smell very well. A nice balance of Coffee and Chocolate and Roasted Malt. As it warms a bit I find the sweetness matching with a nice Chocloate flavor while the Coffee takes up the back bringing a nice close to this one.

M: CCB stouts always leave me confused when describing mouthfeel. I always think they could use a little thicker feel at first but, then I end up with a beautiful coating over my mouth that is always very pleasant. This one has a light carbonation as to be expected with the style. Very nice over all.

O: Cigar City never dissapoints with their Stouts. This is a great beer that represents the style very nicely. Congrats guys on another good beer. If you are in the area swing by the Brewery and grab a glass. Consistent aroma and taste matched with a nice mouthfeel makes for a good drink.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Have had on regular pour, nitro growler, and now nitro pour.

A- Black as oil like you would expect from CCB. Very small, tan head forms at the top. Stains my hands like Hunahpu's if you spill a drop.

S- Coffee, chocolate, a spice I am assuming to enhance the coffee flavor.

T- Unreal good coffee flavor. This competes with some of the best coffee stouts out there IMHO. Chocolate adds a nice balance so it isn't too much sweet or acidic coffee.

M- thick and coats perfectly. Carbonation is a little low but still very enjoyable.

O- love this beer and hope it stays on their tap/growler list for some time.

3.94/5  rDev -12.1%

On tap at Coffee District. Served in a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Really thick black body. Big dark chocolate head. Looks like Zhukov. Impressive.

Smell - Not a ton of aroma. Coffee and dark chocolate malt. Booze.

Taste - Lots of chocolate. Arguably more chocolate than coffee, especially up front. Coffee builds and even becomes a bit acidic in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very thick. Standard fare for a Cigar City stout, but the acidity cuts back on the mouthfeel.

Overall - The coffee is too acidic for me. Impressive stout otherwise.

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Had on nitro-tap at CCB tasting room. Served in a snifter.

A: Very dark rich brown, large thick creamy brown head. Standard nitro movement in the snifter, and quite opaque.

S: Coffee, creamy, light chocolate, lactose sweetness.

T: Follows the nose. A nice medium-roast coffee flavor that isn't overly bitter, with creamy lactose and milk chocolate following that. I wouldn't say it's a particularly complex flavor, but wow is it tasty.

M: Insanely creamy - both the milkiness and the nitro serving contributing here - and velvety smooth. Moderate alcohol presence, although for the listed ABV it's quite well-hidden. I would give the mouthfeel a 6 out of 5 if I could.

O: This was incredible on nitro. I didn't have the chance to try the regular carbonated version, but the flavors were amazing so I don't think it would suffer any fall-off. This is at least one of my top five favorite non-barrel aged stouts I've ever had.

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed a snifter @ WOB Dr. Phillips Orlando.

Appearance jet black holding up a paper thin tan head. Apparent thick viscosity when swirled in the glass. Classic motor oil presentation.

The dark espresso aroma is the big initial hit on the nose. This is quickly followed by aromatic notes of cocoa, dark roasted malts, raisins and figs.

Taste is simply outstanding. First sip approaches some cloying sweetness for a moment but just a touch of bitter dark roast coffee bean and malt slips in behind the sweetness. Fantastic balance of the bitter-sweet qualities. Finishes with a mildly sweet dark dried fruit and cream ending.

Mouthfeel is slick and smooth; thick and chewy. Perfect for this style of beer.

This is not one to miss!!

4.31/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of having multiple snifters of this over the last week at CCB... I've had a couple on nitro and one from the growler bar that was a standard CO2 push.

Appearance is thick, black, with a thick creamy tan head as you would expect from a nitro pour.

Aroma has some chocolatey sweetness and a strong coffee presence. I love me some big coffee beers and this fit the bill for sure.

Mouthfeel is everything you've come to expect in a stout from CCB. Thick, luscious, and velvety from the nitro.

Taste is pure decadence. This beer is pretty sweet but not cloying. The coffee flavor is strong but not overwhelming, however I drink a lot of coffee so the coffee may be overpowering for some. Also a lot of chocolate roasty notes as well. Kinda like drinking a chocolate shake that's been melted and blended with strong coffee.

Overall, this is one of the better stouts that CCB has released recently. The base for this beer is a batch of Marshal Zhukov that underattenuated, so instead of dumping it they added the coffee and made a potential screw-up into a thing of beauty. To be honest I preferred the standard CO2 pour to the nitro pours that I had. The nitro pours were good, but I feel like the nitro may have muted some of the flavors. The standard CO2 pour had an extra layer of complexity for me that I didn't get from the nitro. This is a very dangerous beer. It weights in at 9.2% ABV but is a very easy drinker, more like something in the 5-6% range.

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Café Americana Double Stout

Served on nitro tap and also in growlers 8/14/2013.

Served in a snifter at CCB. Pours fairly thick with an immense creamy nitro head. Smells of cocoa and coffee with some malt. Tastes exactly like it smells with coffee and cocoa pretty prominent with a very smooth and velvety texture. I admit I like coffee and cocoa notes in my stouts and my scoring reflects this. If you are put off by cocoa and coffee this brew may not be for you. Takes two or more rinses to clean the snifter, just as a good stout should! Really quite decadent and yet another in a long line of stouts that CCB has knocked out of the park.

Some of the creaminess is lost when served from a growler and minus the nitro. No real surprise and still superb...

Certainly a beer that I'd buy often if available in a nitro can/bottle... Hint, hint!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last