Caffè Americano - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: wiltznucs on 08-14-2013

Traditional Caffè Americano is made by adding water to espresso. We break all the rules with this Double Stout. We refuse to add water to our beer after fermentation, but have no issues adding beer to our espresso. This deep, dark stout exhibits rich espresso and coffee notes, which are contributed by the generous use of roasted barley and espresso locally roasted by Buddy Brew Coffee. That simply is not enough for us. We also add roasted, raw chocolate and a hint of vanilla to this big bodied stout. Dodge the red eye and take a shot of the dark.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.17/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed a snifter @ WOB Dr. Phillips Orlando.

Appearance jet black holding up a paper thin tan head. Apparent thick viscosity when swirled in the glass. Classic motor oil presentation.

The dark espresso aroma is the big initial hit on the nose. This is quickly followed by aromatic notes of cocoa, dark roasted malts, raisins and figs.

Taste is simply outstanding. First sip approaches some cloying sweetness for a moment but just a touch of bitter dark roast coffee bean and malt slips in behind the sweetness. Fantastic balance of the bitter-sweet qualities. Finishes with a mildly sweet dark dried fruit and cream ending.

Mouthfeel is slick and smooth; thick and chewy. Perfect for this style of beer.

This is not one to miss!! (735 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of having multiple snifters of this over the last week at CCB... I've had a couple on nitro and one from the growler bar that was a standard CO2 push.

Appearance is thick, black, with a thick creamy tan head as you would expect from a nitro pour.

Aroma has some chocolatey sweetness and a strong coffee presence. I love me some big coffee beers and this fit the bill for sure.

Mouthfeel is everything you've come to expect in a stout from CCB. Thick, luscious, and velvety from the nitro.

Taste is pure decadence. This beer is pretty sweet but not cloying. The coffee flavor is strong but not overwhelming, however I drink a lot of coffee so the coffee may be overpowering for some. Also a lot of chocolate roasty notes as well. Kinda like drinking a chocolate shake that's been melted and blended with strong coffee.

Overall, this is one of the better stouts that CCB has released recently. The base for this beer is a batch of Marshal Zhukov that underattenuated, so instead of dumping it they added the coffee and made a potential screw-up into a thing of beauty. To be honest I preferred the standard CO2 pour to the nitro pours that I had. The nitro pours were good, but I feel like the nitro may have muted some of the flavors. The standard CO2 pour had an extra layer of complexity for me that I didn't get from the nitro. This is a very dangerous beer. It weights in at 9.2% ABV but is a very easy drinker, more like something in the 5-6% range. (1,483 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Café Americana Double Stout

Served on nitro tap and also in growlers 8/14/2013.

Served in a snifter at CCB. Pours fairly thick with an immense creamy nitro head. Smells of cocoa and coffee with some malt. Tastes exactly like it smells with coffee and cocoa pretty prominent with a very smooth and velvety texture. I admit I like coffee and cocoa notes in my stouts and my scoring reflects this. If you are put off by cocoa and coffee this brew may not be for you. Takes two or more rinses to clean the snifter, just as a good stout should! Really quite decadent and yet another in a long line of stouts that CCB has knocked out of the park.

Some of the creaminess is lost when served from a growler and minus the nitro. No real surprise and still superb...

Certainly a beer that I'd buy often if available in a nitro can/bottle... Hint, hint! (848 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last