Life Is Like... - Cigar City Brewing

Life Is Like...Life Is Like...

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  15.00% ABV

Imperial sweet stout brewed with cherries & cacao nibs & aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: MatthewPlus on 08-15-2013)
Reviews by Tone2467:
4.34/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours just like a CCB stout. Black with hints of dark red/purple with very little light peeking through. A small tan head forms but quickly retreats into a very thin sheet on top of the beer. Nice lacing is creeping down my glass.

S: At first sniff I was overwhelmed with bourbon and sweetness. I liked it but it lacked the cherry scent I was hoping for. As she warms I began picking up hints of cherries.

T: The taste follows the smell. I got big bourbon flavor with hints of cherries on the back end. I couldn't find the chocolate taste in my first few sips. About halfway through this one I reached what I'll call the perfect temperature. Nice amounts of Bourbon with tart cherries following on the back end. I still couldn't pick up on much chocolate flavor in this one. Very sweet but not so much as to overpower the beer.

M: I feel like CCB always puts out stouts a little light for my personal taste but, they always coat the mouth so nicely I don't really mind it at all. Not much carbonation in here but enough to keep things very nice. If this was thicker it might not have been as drinkable.

O: A good sweet stout. If you enjoy a nice Bourbon flavor this beer is right up your alley. These two breweries made a beautiful collaboration(What else do you expect from these two though?). For an Imperial it's very smooth and drinkable. The mixture of bourbon and cherries is excellent in the taste. If you can try it I wouldn't pass up the chance.

4.18/5  rDev -8.1%

4.99/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle from Proof. Poured into a snifter. Pitch black and opaque. Deep brown head with same collar. Decent legs, and head was thick and yummy. Aroma is of sweet/dark cherries, dark chocolate, vanilla, a smooth/woody bourbon. Taste is wonderful. Exact same as smell. Mouthfeel is viscous, fully coats my mouth, and is exactly what I want. Super fantastic beer. Dessert in a glass!

4.84/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into small tasting glass. I am sharing with two other buddies. Date of review is 7/12/14.

Appearance- Almost jet black, but not quite. Dark brow head that disappears right away.

Smell- Cherry and vanilla blast off straight away. Just a hint of sweet chocolate is present too. Bourbon is detectable, but taking a backseat to the cherries.

Taste- Literally perfect in every way. Just like in the nose, cherries and vanilla take you away. Chocolate and bourbon are there, but not dominant.

Mouthfeel- Thick and luxurious to say the least. It's really quite hard to put into words how amazing this beer is. It's like I bit into a chocolate covered cherry.

Overall- Top three best beers I have ever had. I had it at DLD for the first time and have looked forward to this moment ever since.

3.25/5  rDev -28.6%