Grande Dame Oud Bruin - Brasserie Trois Dames

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 12-14-2009

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Very dark brown with hints of red; cannot see any light through the beer. Rich 3+ finger tan head that dies down slowly leaving a small amount of foam on the surface of the beer.

Smell: Sweet and sour smell that is overwhelmed by a funky aroma. The funky smell was kind of pukey (sorry) and not pleasant at all. Did not make me want to drink the beer.

Taste: The taste matched the smell almost exactly. Starts off with fruit - think apple cider and dark cherries - followed briefly by a kind of nice sour but then ends with a bitter strong funky aftertaste. Was way to funky for my tastes that I did not find it enjoyed at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with kind of a cider consistency. Lots of mild carbonation.

Overall: Not to my tastes at all. I really wanted to like this beer, as I generally like dark beers and I generally like sours. That being said, I do not like funk. This was very too funky for me. In fact I did not even finish the bottle and tossed it. Other reviews have been much more positive - so maybe I got a bad bottle? Or maybe this is just not a style of beer for me.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Cool looking bomber, although I think I like the look of the previous label a little more. I am excited for this one as Oud Bruin is one of my favorite styles.

An aggressive poor into my Belgian-style tulip yields a small amount of centrally connected large bubbles that slowly produce a small amount of head that appears as though it rises from the depths of the glass. As slowly as it appears, the head migrates towards to edges of the glass leaving cool looking designs on the surface of the beer. A slight swirl revives this small amount of head at any time.

An intriguing dark/roasted mahogany color engulfs my tulip. For some reason, the color reminds me of the holidays. The smell is that of vinegar, (rotten) apples, oak and just a hint of caramel. There is something a little off-putting about the combination, it almost smells of plastic.

Funk and bacteria fill my thoughts as I take a sip. Fruits (plums and apples) are immediately evident as I take a drink; this is quickly followed by lactic-acid sourness with some level of candy-type plastic flavor around them semi-rough edges of this beers flavor profile.

Overall, the body is medium to thin; lactic sourness dominates the palate, but at the same time the tart flavor is not overwhelming. The carbonation level seems about right for the style.

An enjoyable beer, if only for the fact that I like the style. Considering the rather hefty price tag, however I would not actively seek this one out again. There are much better options if you're in the mood for a Flanders Oud Bruin.

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

A: This one pours a pretty dark brown color with lots of reddish notes and a finger of tan head.

S: Smells really quite nice. A touch of vinegar, but solid oak aromas and a bit of grass and wet hay. A light caramel sweetness and a lilttle bit of fruit notes. Some nice oxidation to it.

T: The flavor is not quite as good. There is a bit of a sweet, grape Jolly Rancher type flavor to it. Slightly tart with some vinegar and a decent amount of oak. Not quite as much of the grass and hay notes that were present on the nose.

M: The body is medium with a moderate carbonation.

D: I liked the nose quite a bit, but the flavor was definitely a let down. Good, but not worth the rather hefty price tag.

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

I brought this one to share at jmgrub’s tasting.

Pours a clear dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to nothing. No lacing on this one. Smell is slightly sour with some dark fruit and slightly funky aromas. Taste is of tart dark fruits, slight vinegar, and slight funk flavors. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it tastes better than it smells in my opinion.

Grande Dame Oud Bruin from Brasserie Trois Dames