Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer - Brouwerij Huyghe

Van Diest Früli Strawberry BeerVan Diest Früli Strawberry Beer

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-17-2003

4.66/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 330 mL Bottle

A- Pours a light pink that's topped by a 1 1/2 finger white head that quickly dissipates. Beautiful colour!

S- Sweet strawberry jam with a nice tart finish. Not able to seek out the coriander mentioned in the brewers description.

T- Same as the aroma. Beautiful taste that could take the place of a quality desert anytime.

M- Light Body and Medium carbonation.

O- If there ever was a perfect desert beer, I would have to say that this is it. Delicious Strawberry Jam flavour and aroma and a light, crisp, refreshing body. (558 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle with a BB March 2017 date stamp.
Looks like watered down strawberry puree with a thin, partial white head. Actually, not bad looking despite that description.
Nice mix of tart and sweet components with plenty of strawberry and strawberry jam flavor.

O: refreshing, fruity and not to sweet but best used as a dessert beverage. (344 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy reddish pinkish colour with over a 1 finger head of off white foam.

Truth in advertising is what I get in the smell. Strawberries! Not a totally sweet, sickly sweet aroma going on.

I get a bit of coriander just before the strawberry moves in and takes control. Semi sweet tasting but not exactly tart. I'd imagine the orange peel mentioned on the label would provide some hints of bitterness but I don't get any.

Fairly light bodied with the same for the carbonation. Nice mouthfeel.

Very good fruit beer and I'm not even a big fancier of strawberries. (569 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Extremely flavourful beer with a strong strawberry taste. A great beer for those who generally don't like beer, but it can still be thoroughly enjoyed by beer drinkers everywhere (178 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Veiled amber color with absolutely no head. Delicious smell and flavor of fresh fruity strawberry. A little light with a pleasant fruity finish.

Super flavorful beer to try at least once. Sure you almost only taste strawberry, but this is what it's supposed to deliver. Perfect for those who doesn't like typical beer. (319 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on 1/17/15. Comes in a 330ml (11.2 ounce) bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 10 ounce pilsner glass.

Pours a hazy reddish-burnt orange in color with really no cap to speak of. As for lacing, just some very spotty places seen on the sides of the glass but not a lot. The aroma is full of fresh strawberries and that is about it. Great aroma actually! Even more so than a Redd's Strawberry Ale. The taste is well...full of strawberries with some grains. Tasted like fresh strawberries and not artificial. Finishes just slightly tart and not super sweet like you might think. Considered a beer, but whatever it is, it is tasty with a little 'kick'. Overall, really surprised how good this one is and is really refreshing also. Good anytime of the year and will buy it again. Lighter+ to medium bodied with perfect carbonation. (878 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle into a Troubadour tulip glass

Look: Fairly dark red with a pinkish head. Not much in the way of retention or lacing.

Smell: Strawberries. That's about your lot - strawberries, with little or no malt, hops or yeast coming through. However, it succeeds where a lot of strawberry beers fail by not smelling disgustingly chemical or artificial, so plus points for that.

Taste: Again, strawberries and very little else - there's sweetness up front and a fairly tart finish and it manages not to taste excessively artificial in the process. Furthermore, it really doesn't taste like a beer at all. Fizzy fruit juice? Perhaps. Beer? Nope.

Feel: Actually surprisingly good - it has a nice, rounded fruitiness and enough carbonation to keep things interesting.

Overall: I'm not sure whether this is 'beer with fruit juice added' or 'beer with fruit added at the fermentation stage' but either way, it works. It shouldn't, but it does. I've had this on tap in the past and a pint of it is pretty heavy going, even for someone with a sweet tooth, but the 330ml bottle seems 'just right'.

There's no way I'd spend an entire session drinking this, it's just too sweet, but as an 'every now and again' thing it has a lot to recommend it. (1,242 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

This HAD to have come to me in either a trade or as a gift! I am not down on Fruit Beers, but unless they come in a CAN, they are among the last that I will reach for when given a choice. As you might imagine, this was not high on my list of bottled beers to drink and like so many, it got shunted to the side to become part of my bottle backlog. I am fully engaged in the Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014 and it is time for this one to see the light of day.

From the bottle: "Belgian White Ale brewed with spices (coriander & orange peel) with natural and artificial flavors added."; "Produced with a centuries old brewing process, Fruli is a premium white Belgian ale brewed with fruit juice."

Hmmm. Is it a Fruit Beer or a Belgian Wit with fruit juice as an adjunct? No wonder Los Hermanos Alstrom want to re-categorize these hybrid styles. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate on BeerAdvocate right now.

I thought that I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle, so I employed a very gentle pour. The carbonation in this was fantastic, producing a brief finger of fizzy, pink head that simply fizzled out, becoming wisps. Color was a hazy pinkish-amber (SRM = N/A) and I found myself giggling at it. Nose was like strawberry preserves! I have been thinking of my grandmothers a lot recently and they were the ones who initially taught me to do home canning. My paternal grandmother was really into jellies and preserves, which are tougher than simply putting up vegetables for the winter. This reminded me of her kitchen on some days. Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, like soda pop or seltzer water. The taste was very much strawberry, coming in very sweet and then becoming tart, like those SweetTart candies I remember as a kid. Finish was more tart than sweet, but it still struck me as awfully sugary. I have a feeling that I may not be its intended audience. I would probably serve it with dessert if I had to drink it again. (1,943 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +42.2%

Had this beer on tap at the Conwy Castle Hotel in Wales, UK last week. It was listed as a "dessert beer" on the their menu along with the chocolate mousse, raspberry tart, etc. While I am not a fan of fruit / vegetable beers (and can understand why others have rated this beer so poorly), this beer quite simply blew me away. It was awesome! Even the two wine drinkers at the table loved it, one of whom is 79 years old! For me, the taste was what did it for me - like drinking a strawberry shortcake - it is just a perfect example of what this brewery must have intended. Reminded me of a New Glarus raspberry beer I tried about a year ago, only better. I will seek this out if I can find it in the States and drink it on special occasions for dessert. (753 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a cloudy apricot amber, nearly no head at all with a moderate, becoming aggressive pour.

Smell - as expected, strawberries. It's mild and pleasant. Very little else comes through however.

Taste - not much traditional beer taste whatsoever. No presence of hops or barley that I can detect. As a beverage this is delicious, but I have a hard time viewing it as a beer. It's a tasty wine cooler that somehow skirted the technical classifications to cheat itself into a category to be labeled a "beer". I'm not mad at this beverage and am not detracting it in any category other than overall for the mere reason that it's enjoyable, but simply somewhat imposing on what it calls itself.

Mouthfeel - is tremendous. It possesses extremely crisp, prickly and refreshing carbonation with a perfectly dry aftertaste that allows its fruit flavor to linger for a second or so after.

Overall - a good drink but a questionable "beer" (934 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +13%

A - Looks interesting, a light red colour almost like a fruit cider.

S - Deep strong strawberry fragrance.

T - Tastes like ripe strawberries. Not very beer like but still very nice, almost addictive to the tongue!

M - A little bubbly but not much in comparison to a normal beer. Watery and a bit more like a soda than beer.

O - A tasty interesting beer. Not much going on in terms of complex flavours but easy to drink and nice if you have a sweet tooth. (459 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

250 ml bottle.

A: Red/pink and cloudy. About the colour you'd expect for strawberry. Big fluffy head.
S: Fruity, definitely strawberry.
T: Very sweet, but it's only 250 ml, which seems like an appropriate serving size for something this sweet.

Definitely enjoyed this, but I can't see it being more than a once in a while thing. (332 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -6.9%

250 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before 06/15. I've ignored this beer for years now, but it's showing up in more and more places locally, and when you also consider the fact that I've never tried a strawberry beer before, that it's hotter than shit out tonight, and run-on sentences are completely awesome, that it may mean perhaps tonight is a good occasion to sample this fruit beer of noble stock? Served slightly chilled.

Pours a hazy, pinkish orange colour, generating a meagre half inch of considerably less pinkish head that soon fizzles into the ether. Strands of lacing cling to the glass after a few sips, but as for the head, only a narrow collar remains. Not much to look at, but if you're a strawberry fan then all I can say is that the aroma delivers - it pretty much smells like strawberry pastries, with perhaps a dose of daiquiri thrown in for good measure. I can see it being cloying if you don't like the fruit, but then why would you even buy this in the first place?

Not offensive or even particularly off-putting in terms of flavour, but it's just too god damn sweet. Strawberry candy is prominent throughout - sure, there is a token biscuity malt presence to half-heartedly corroborate the reasonable claim that this is a beer and not the dreaded 'flavoured malt beverage' - but it's much too saccharine to be something I want more than a few sips of. The finish has vibes of strawberry jam, with a pleasant tartness; perhaps the only thing that prevents this from being below-average in the category. Thin-bodied, but at the same time it has a syrupy quality that causes it to cling to the mouth and throat. Normally I'd scoff at a 250 mL bottle of beer as being inadequate, but in this instance it's entirely appropriate.

Final Grade: 3.22, a C+. The label on Früli Strawberry Beer mentions things about being a Belgian white fruit beer, but in my opinion it's all fruit, no white, and hardly beer in the first place. I'll finish this glass easily, and as far as fruit beers go I can't realistically say this is particularly bad - but I can't see myself opting for this again. Worth a try if you have a friend who 'doesn't like beer' and you want to keep something in the fridge for him (or, um, her). In all seriousness... I'd drink this again, but if I'm in the mood for a fruit beer I'd rather have something refreshing, as opposed to cloying. (2,378 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

on tao 12 oz serving

A- pours a clear pink color with a light head no lacing
S- strawberry cake with light wheat
T= strawberry spritzer with some cake and bread tastes
M-crisp and light with medium carbonation a little dry sweet sugar
O-more like a strawberry soda than a beer (278 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into Delirium Tulip.

Light red/pink with little head.

Smell is major strawberry, very fruity, super sugary.

Taste is super super sweet, it’s like drinking soda. Very big strawberry and orange taste.

Honestly nothing like beer, more like putting juice in a Strawberry Fanta. Not good for a beer drinker, but personally, I love it. (346 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -3.5%

250 ml bottle served cold into glassware. Cost was about $2.60 CDN.

Appearance - Pink in color, capped by just under a finger of white head with a pink tinge to it. Quite a few active bubbles and the head presents some lasting power. Quite hazy.

Smell - A plethora of ripened strawberries covered in sugar.

Taste - Again a bunch of fresh strawberries, a little oversweet, but not excessively so like other fruit beers. Not a lot else.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and refreshing with a light body and slightly above average carbonation.

Overall - A tasty albeit expensive fruit beer that is pretty good as strawberries go. However, unless I'm offered this again I won't be picking it up since the taste and enjoy-ability just don't match the price. (748 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours dark pinky red with a quickly fading head.
Nose shows ripe strawberries, confectionery and also a toothpaste note.
Sweet flavours, too sweet. Lots of strawberry, but it seems a little artificial. A little tang redeems things and makes it refreshing.
Needs more carbonation.
Gets a bit sickly sweet. (304 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The beer presents very little resemblance to what people would traditionally consider a “beer”, but that should not be held in consideration as it is unique. Just opening the bottle, you get a tremendous fruit smell. Upon drinking you honesty can easily taste the berries and citrus, something I thought would be faint or impossible. This beer is light, refreshing and goes great with cheeses. It might be a little more difficult to pair with foods than a traditional ale or pils, but a bit of creativity can let this beer really shine. I did not think I would like it, but boy was I ever wrong.

My thoughts on pairing: Don't drink this with salad as the sidebar says. Whose suggestion was that?

Because this is a strawberry-flavored beer I wouldn't drink it with anything fruit or vegetable related, especially strawberries. You should try cheese & crackers or maybe something savory on the less- spicy side. If course Belgian food but also Northern European/ Scandinavian food comes to mind. Just having the one bottle on its own (and loving it) more research in this area is definitely warranted.

Would someone please update the pairing suggestion for this beer? What you eat with it could wildly influence your opinion of it. (1,237 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -11.3%

Hmm, I was expecting more out of this.

A- Looks good- a light copper color with carbonation bubbles, though no head and almost no lacing.

S- The best part. It smells delightfully like strawberries, but that's its biggest strength and falls flat everywhere else.

T- Tastes horribly bland and watery. It really tastes just like strawberry flavored water. I can get a big bottle of that for about fifty cents (and that actually tastes better due to more carbonation), whereas this was $3.50 and not even 12 oz and tastes more bland. It's not *bad*, mind you, just bland as all hell.

M- A little thin and watery, but that's what I'd expect from a fruit beer anyway.

Overall, horribly disappointed for the price, and I normally love fruit beers. I'll be sticking to Delirium Tremens. (785 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +17.1%

8.4 fl oz. bottle, with label on back saying best before 03/2014. An intriguing looking bottle & design. My second beer from Brouwerij Huyghe, the other one being Delirium Tremens. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a quarter inch of white fizzy head which quickly disappears into nothing. Body color is a hazy dark salmon pink / light red color. Bubbles floating to the top, and some light sediment twirling around. Nice thick lacing on the way down.

S - Immediately after uncapping this, the smell of genuine strawberry hit me. I search for it, yet I don't get any coriander or orange peel, though.

T - Luscious tart sugary strawberries. Has some other natural berry attributes to it, also. Tastes almost like a fruit-roll-up. A nice, refreshing, sweet beer. Searching for some yeast or malt, but again I find nothing. Moderate carbonation.

M - Feel is sweet and sticky, with no real lingering flavors of any kind.

Overall, refreshing, delicious, and very natural tasting. Highly drinkable at 4.10% abv, yet I do wish this was packaged in normal 12 oz. bottles instead of such a smaller serving. Probably a bit too sweet of a beer to session, but I could drink a ton of these. A try again beer, for sure.

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer ---4/5. (1,271 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Poured from a smallish 8.4 fluid ounce (250 ml) bottle a hazy, orangish pink with floating bits of fruit which are lifted up by the robust carbonation only to fall again. Initial 1/4" white head fades quickly to the rim leaving globs of sheet lace.

N: Obligatory strawberries up front with some wheaty grains, slight must, sweetness and corriander spice. The strawberries lend a faint plastic/cheesy character.

T: Like a sweet strawberry soda, but balanced by the wheat with some orange zest. Initially the sweetness comes with the first sip and then is muted.

M: Light body and semi-full carbonation. Fruity and zesty wheat throughout from start to finish.

O: Balanced fruit and wheat with orange and faint corriander was surprisingly pleasant. Easy drinking at 4.1 %. Perhaps a tad too much sweetness. (810 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into wheat beer glass.

A - pours a reddish orange pink colour, almost full finger of foam.
S - strawberries, yumm.
T - ripening strawberries, bit of sourness, bit of sweet. Probably closer to a lambic taste than wheat beer.
M - very light, bit of carbonation.
O - I tend to like sweet and sour tasting beers, and fruli is a good example of both. I think it deserves more credit than it gets, the swing in your mouth from sour to sweet back to sour is so much fun. Might have too much of that for sessioning though. (529 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -22.8%

The Fruli is an extremely saccharine fruit beer. When paired with a drier mouthfeel and a hot, stuffy room, it gives me a headache. Disturbingly sweet, disturbingly pink, disturbingly carbonated. I am not a fan. I can see the appeal for fans of soda pop. It is easy to drink several Frulis without noticing the alcohol content (though there is certainly a taste of alcohol in the beverage). Far more on the side of a cooler, based on the astronomical sugar content of this beer. (478 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -5.8%

250 mL bottle, this pours a cloudy, deep ruby link colour, with a large head of soft, strawberry milkshake head. The initial surprise of the pink-hued beer coming out of the bottle is a bit of a shock, beer looks interesting and shows pretty good head retention and lacing is really nice.

Smell is strongly candy-like. Strawberry sweets, with an artificial flavour feel. Maybe can detect a bit of malt but this is so overpoweringly sweet its hard to tell.

Taste is initially a wheaty, strawberry freshness, with a lot of candy sugar sweetness, quite jammy. It doesn't show a lot of the wit character, this is background and overshadowed by the strong fruitiness. Has some of the wheat characteristics but this is needing more balance and less sweetness.

Mouthfeel is very light, carbonation is too, not much crispness, slight dryness on the finish but way too sweet to be considered refreshing.

Hard to imagine getting this again or drinking it on a regular basis. A very candy-like beer, glad it came in such a small bottle because it would be hard to drink much more of it. Interesting idea, and not altogether bad, it is beer, but I was disappointed with this. (1,168 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I found this to be an unexpectedly characterful and satisfying beer.

Deep pink, faintly brownish hint, it had a medium white head with faint pink hue slowly shrinking to foamy top.

Aroma is bright strawberry fruit leather, hint of yeasty dough.

Taste is light, bright strawberry sweetness, light yeastiness, hint of coriander, spice. It is crisp, light, and refreshing, but nevertheless characterful. (403 characters)

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer from Brouwerij Huyghe