Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer - Brouwerij Huyghe

Van Diest Früli Strawberry BeerVan Diest Früli Strawberry Beer

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-17-2003)

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

This HAD to have come to me in either a trade or as a gift! I am not down on Fruit Beers, but unless they come in a CAN, they are among the last that I will reach for when given a choice. As you might imagine, this was not high on my list of bottled beers to drink and like so many, it got shunted to the side to become part of my bottle backlog. I am fully engaged in the Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014 and it is time for this one to see the light of day.

From the bottle: "Belgian White Ale brewed with spices (coriander & orange peel) with natural and artificial flavors added."; "Produced with a centuries old brewing process, Fruli is a premium white Belgian ale brewed with fruit juice."

Hmmm. Is it a Fruit Beer or a Belgian Wit with fruit juice as an adjunct? No wonder Los Hermanos Alstrom want to re-categorize these hybrid styles. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate on BeerAdvocate right now.

I thought that I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle, so I employed a very gentle pour. The carbonation in this was fantastic, producing a brief finger of fizzy, pink head that simply fizzled out, becoming wisps. Color was a hazy pinkish-amber (SRM = N/A) and I found myself giggling at it. Nose was like strawberry preserves! I have been thinking of my grandmothers a lot recently and they were the ones who initially taught me to do home canning. My paternal grandmother was really into jellies and preserves, which are tougher than simply putting up vegetables for the winter. This reminded me of her kitchen on some days. Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, like soda pop or seltzer water. The taste was very much strawberry, coming in very sweet and then becoming tart, like those SweetTart candies I remember as a kid. Finish was more tart than sweet, but it still struck me as awfully sugary. I have a feeling that I may not be its intended audience. I would probably serve it with dessert if I had to drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

4.93/5  rDev +43.3%

Had this beer on tap at the Conwy Castle Hotel in Wales, UK last week. It was listed as a "dessert beer" on the their menu along with the chocolate mousse, raspberry tart, etc. While I am not a fan of fruit / vegetable beers (and can understand why others have rated this beer so poorly), this beer quite simply blew me away. It was awesome! Even the two wine drinkers at the table loved it, one of whom is 79 years old! For me, the taste was what did it for me - like drinking a strawberry shortcake - it is just a perfect example of what this brewery must have intended. Reminded me of a New Glarus raspberry beer I tried about a year ago, only better. I will seek this out if I can find it in the States and drink it on special occasions for dessert.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%