Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer - Brouwerij Huyghe

Van Diest Früli Strawberry BeerVan Diest Früli Strawberry Beer

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-17-2003)
4.58/5  rDev +33.1%

A- it looked pink as I poured it, like cotton candy. as it filled it turned a dark amber color, yet still a pink hint.
S- seriously smells like.. strawberries. and.. cream
T- tates like STRAWBERRIES! like a shirley temple.
M- very carbonated. close your eyes, champagne?? So light.
D- I could drink a six pack. maybe more. low alcohol though right..

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't like the beer at all. I loved the look of the bottle and that's pretty much it.

I tried this beer in a wheat beer glass. The color is nice with it's pink color and the smell is just pure strawberry, wich smell really good.

But I just found that it taste more like a strawberry cooler than beer. I reviewed it on 3 separate occasion with different kinds of glasses and directly from the bottle but I still didn't like it. Althought I found it better tasting directly from the bottle.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer pours a rather lovely strawberry color with a splash of faded red that picks up a dirty brown. The head is a fat collar of tiny white bubbles.

Smells... too good to be true. At first, a lucious ripe strawberry comes through, but at the tail end, it just screams "artificial." Almost! That's about all there is to this one.

I get a similar impression from the flavor. It starts with a distant thin sweetness, but it then takes on a slight astringent dryness. This then fades to a nice but fake strawberry with a touch of coriander, but the fakeness of the flavor reminds me of hookah bar strawberry tobacco or strawberry hard candy. Ah, I just found it! It reminds me of some strawberry incense matches I found in high school. Not so hot...

Feels light and thin but then explodes into a quick wash of raspy bubbles that disappear as soon as they rise.

This beer is just all right with me. The fake strawberry is pretty obviously fake.

4.05/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 8.4 oz mini bottle with unique striped foiling.

Pours a murky brownish red with a small mildly pink head that quickly dissipates. Not the strongest lookign brew.

Smell is amazing, pure strawberry with a little yogurt scent. Smells soooo delicious, not really like beer though.

Taste is well of strawberries what else? A little bit of yogurtyness and some smokey malt flavor. Not too bad. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, this is a delectable dessert beer.

Overall, yes it is a fruity beer, but still worthy.

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

Poured into a pokal.

The body is pink and hazy. Like the colour of berry punch. There's a solid two fingers of cotton candy head floating over top of it. The head is moderately well retained, and the walls of my glass are covered in sticky lace left behind as it recedes.

It smells like strawberries and sugar. Candy. It smells slightly tart. The strawberry smell is very natural.

Intense sweet strawberry flavour. It's both sweet and mildly sour at the same time. Very mild wheat twang in the finish. No hop presence whatsoever. As with the scent, the strawberry flavour is very natural tasting.

It tastes and smells exactly how I'd expect a sugar-sweetened witbier and strawberry juice to taste, and its delicious.

Without the yeast poured in, its a little thin. Swirl and pour the yeast to give it a little bit of substance. Even so, you really feel the blend of 30 percent fruit juice in this beer. It's on the light side with medium carbonation, but still feels sticky. This works really well as a light, intensely flavoured, and extremely satisfying dessert. Especially in the summertime.

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%

250ml bottle. Lunch on a patio, on a hot, sunny day. Internal fruity beer switch firmly locked in the 'on' position.

This beer pours a hazy pink and orangish brown colour, and kind of looks like fresh pressed apple cider, with a single finger of pink-tinged soapy white head, which leaves a bit of low-lying storm cloud lace as it swiftly disappears.

It smells of sweet strawberry juice, faint pale grain, and berry sugar. The taste is slightly tart strawberry juice, candy sugar, mild grainy, wheaty malt, and some faint citrus notes. Simply fruity, this one is.

The carbonation is moderate, and active enough to pull this a bit farther away from straight-up fruit juice, the body a sticky, fruit-juice-like medium-light weight, and a tad cloying. It finishes sweet, sugary, and fruity.

A decent enough, soft white ale, soaked to the nuts with real strawberry juice. Fine by me, for when you want beer, but at the same time a fruit smoothie. One's my limit, though I've seen others putting these back like water at various establishments around town.

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

I could smell this one as soon as I popped the cap. Tropical fruits, mango, kiwi and, of course, intense strawberry. A very high sense of citric acid, since the smell itself is like sticking an orange up your nose. Very champagne-like.

Nearly no head except for a slight pink ring and central transparent island.

I was expecting a more "off" strawberry flavor, likening to strawberries about to spoil due to a hint of that smell, but the taste is extremely pure and refreshing. Doesn't drink like a beer at all, but as said before, champagne. Extremely crisp with nearly no noticeable hops or malt flavor. Very surprising.

Definitely a dessert beer or, (at the very least) something to spark your girlfriend's interest and keep her from buying Boone's farm.

I really don't know how to rate this, but a part of me says to rate it well because if they can make a beer that doesn't taste like beer . . . they must know what they're doing.

Overall, give it a whirl and when you really want to impress someone, this is the perfect conversation piece.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a bottle for my wife & thought what the heck? So I got a bottle for me; here goes:

Pours an effervescent caramel/orange with a pinky of cream colored head. Average head retention & very good lacing

S: Strawberry jam & kiwi

T: Strawberry jam, a hint of watermelon & a touch of acidity up front. More of the same as it warms, plus a touch of dryness. Finishes with jolly rancher-like sweetness, plus a touch of dryness

MF: Light bodied & pleasant carbonation levels

Pretty refreshing, reminds me of a strawberry nehi beer shandy. Nothing I'd session on, but would happily use this a dessert course beer or just a whistle wetter, not bad, some tartness would've helped IMO. Ocer priced at $4 for 8.8 ozes

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

A - This beer poured a copper-red color that produced a small head with a slight pinkish hue, which left no lacing and had minimal retention

S - The amomas of this beer were overtaken by the strawberries

T - The beer components were knocked out by the strawberry juice component, not a lot to work with here

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light, crisp body, with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - Being a mix of fruit juice and beer, this wasn't very appeasing to me

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a flute glass a pinkish red with a thin diminishing head that leaves slight lacing. Aroma is strawberries, that is all. The taste is loads of strawberries with a slight amount of witbier flavor poking through. The beer is quite light and crisp, but the sweetness dominates. This one seems like nothing more than a gimmick beer.

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Früli Strawberry Beer is a hazy, reddish light brown beer with a small film of an off-white head that has decent lacing. It has a powerful strawberry aroma, like strawberry candy. It's light bodied, papery and crisp with very fine carbonation. It's sweet with flavors of strawberry candy, bread, maybe apples and some bitter coriander. It's very unique but pretty artificial tasting.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

This is a strawberry beverage. I would hesitate to call it beer.

Serve this to anyone who doesn't like beer and they will love it, mostly because it tastes like a cooler.

As for me, I found it to actually be quite enjoyable. Once I got over the fact that it tasted nothing like beer, I started to like it.

This "beer" tastes only like strawberries, but hey, I like strawberries, so it was appreciated.

It was perhaps a little too sweet, a little cloying at times.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Another fruit beer which you could probably convince me was some sort of soda if I didn't know what was being served.. It is quite tasty, however, and delivers the strawberry flavor in a way superior to other strawberry beers.. It smalles like strawberry shortcake and fruity champagne, tastes like strawberry champagne (rather, strawberry carbonated wine).. Mouth is light and easy, crisp carbonation. Easy to drink at first but the sweetness could really become a bit much.. Like many fruit beers, it tastes more fruit than beer, but maybe thats a good thing. A lot of fruity beers (that use sweeter fruits, at least) that showcase the beer aspect often are too enjoybale.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Review from notes on May 22, 2009. Poured from an undated 8.4 oz cute little bottle.

A - Slightly hazy, reddish orange with an off-white and rose-tinted 2" head in a tulip. Yielded some lacing. Pretty cool color.

S - Tart berries with a hint of strawberries. Slightly bitter aroma as well, perhaps of orange peels? Somewhat funky, reminiscent of a saison with strawberry syrup.

T - Very sweet, like a strawberry orange soda. Some coriander maybe? Not much else though. A touch of bitterness in the finish reminds me that this is still a beer and not a soda.

M - Refreshing and light bodied with high carbonation. Sticky and syrupy finish.

D - Quite drinkable, although if I want a beer, I would rather have something less sweet and soda-like. This is why I must detract 0.5 from the score.

Overall - Swirled and added the residual yeast into the glass when there were about 3 oz left. The yeast added a bit more fullness to the body, a bit of texture, and takes some of the cloying sweetness away. I paid about $3 for this and I'm going to go ahead and say that it's worth the novelty factor but I probably won't be getting this again. All in all, not a horrible beer though, just quite different from what I'm used to in terms of fruit beer.

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from an 8.4 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

Had a small light pink head that vanished rather quickly. The smell is all strawberries. Kind of like a strawberry daiquiri, or a strawberry wine cooler. More strawberries in the taste, of course. More watery and tart than I would have liked it to be.

It's an okay beer, but not worth the $3.69 I paid for a single bottle. I don't even think it would be worth $2.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

Served lightly chilled in a flute glass.

Pours a pretty rose amber color with a moderate amount of tiny bubbles escalating up the glass throughout drinking. Thin off white foamy head dissipates into a thin ring quickly.

Smells primarily of ripe strawberries with a light scent of orange and woodiness.

Taste of fresh strawberries. Sweet tasting, but not overly sweet. There is a light hint of orange and coriander and a slight bitterness on the back taste. It was much better than I expected. The strawberry flavor is natural.

Light bodied, champagne-like, with the right amount of carbonation. The downfall is that it is too sticky. It leaves your mouth and lips sticky; but it doesn't taste sticky. The flavor is very short lived; the taste is long gone and the stickiness remains.

The mouthfeel makes this beer much less drinkable. The taste and smell are commendable.

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Poured light pink to red with a tiny head that disappeared quickly and small slowly rising bubbles. Wide lacing was left on the glass as it was consumed.

S - Smeels distinctly of strawberry.

T - Sweet. The strawberry seems to hide the "white" flavor but, you can taste a little in the finish.

M - Syrupy. A burst of bubbles when you swallow. Left a sugary feeling in the mouth.

D - A dessert beer. Maybe with or literally in strawberry shortcake. Could possibly be paired with a salad. I found the white finish to be slightly unbalanced with the sweetness, but that is probably just a personal tick. I don't think it would bother many people and I would definitely get another one.

Served - 8.4oz bottle into tapered flute

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle from Party Source.

Poured reddish/amber color with a moderate off-white head that lasted and produced good lacing. Average sweet strawberry aroma. Medium body with a smooth thick texture and soft carbonation. Medium sweet fruity flavor with a sweet finish of moderate duration.

Fruit brew, not my style.

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle

A: Pours a semi-opaque light red body with a small off-white almost pink head with low retention and no lacing.

S: YUM. Strong strawberries with hints of orange wheat and traces of some spiciness.

T: Strong strawberries hit upfront turning into hints of "beer" the ending still has strong wheat with hints of strawberries and other fruits.

M: Well carbonated with little bubbles dancing across the tongue.

Overall: I enjoyed this, not the best of the style, but for the price it's amazing.

4.45/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours an amber peach color with really pretty damn good head retention and lacing. This beer really looks pretty impressive. The nose on this beer is likewise impressive, with a huge nose of sweet strawberry and honey. If you like strawberries, the aroma on this beer is nothing short of amazing. On the palate, this beer is likewise amazing. Yes, it's pretty sweet, but the amount of strawberry flavor the brewer managed to get in this beer is incredible. The beer has sort of a honey, strawberry, strawberry tea flavor. It's fairly sweet, but the sweetness plays well with the flavor profile IMHO. Moutfeel is fairly light, but that's what I would expect with a beer having this abv. Drinkability is exceptional. Granted, it's hard to think of this as a beer, but whatever you want to call it, it's delicious.

I don't know. I really don't understand the low scores with this beer. I guess it's a bit sweet and fruity, but there is so much flavor and the strawberry flavor is so pure. Granted, I wouldn't want it all the time, but I'd order it from time to time. This beer is flat out delicious.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Despite a vigorous pour, all I get is an unusually red beer with no hint of any head at all. The nose is pleasantly sweet and strawberry-like. Tastes genuinely like strawberries, but it's too sweet for me. Needs tartness. Rather thin-bodied.

Huyghe makes some of the best and worst beers in Belgium... a huge difference in quality in their lineup. This isn't the worst, but it's pretty low on the scale.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

I like strawberries. I like beer (otherwise I wouldn't be here). But the two together had me hopeful and worried (Wild Blue). This was the beer for the salad course at the beer dinner on 4/4/09 at Kindling.

A: This pours red with a creamy pink head. With the actual beer part of this being a Belgian wheat beer I wasn't surprised that it was cloudy with the typical sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S: When we started pouring this one I could smell it across the room. There might be other, more subtle, aromas in there but the strawberry covers them.

T: Eventually you can taste some of the other beer elements but they come more on the mid to trailing edge. Up front (no surprise here) it's strawberry. With this having 30% fruit juice it's hard to avoid the strawberry. On the trailing edge you get some of the wheat beer spiciness. Pairing this up with the salad course I think helped cut the sweetness.

M: Light, bubbly yet not over carbonated.

D: On its own, I know I would not want more than one at a session. I would want something to cut the sweetness (like at the dinner). It was a little sweet for me but I feel it is worth the experience.

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

I wanted to like this as I do enjoy fruit beers, but this one didn't do it for me.
Pours a really fizzy pink color. Looks like a rose champagne.
Smells like strawberry syrup, but there's a little bit of yeast going on.
The taste is just too sweet. I think the idea of strawberry juice could've worked, but it's clearly sweetened juice. There's a tiny bit of beer flavor in there, but it's hiding beneath what reminds me of a wine cooler.
Mouthfeel is fizzy, which actually does work for what they're shooting for. No complaints.
This was only a 10oz bottle, and that was enough.
Better than a wine cooler or alcopop, but if you want something fruity, the Lindemans lambics cost the same, give you more, and definitely have more of a beer presence.
Not horrendous, but at $5 I won't revisit it.
I'm a little surprised I didn't enjoy this more, but I just wasn't into it.

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

If you ever wanted to drink a beer that tastes like strawberry milk, Fruli is the beer for you

pours a pinkish red color with a creamy head that is a few shades lighter than the beer.

the beer tastes like strawberries. extreme strawberries, and not just super sweetness like you find in most fruit beers. its a smooth drinker.

this is an excellent desert beer. i dont know if i could have more than one, simply because its more strawberry than beer.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

I reviewed this beer tonight while listening to Panda Bear's album "Person Pitch." There is no freshness date on the bottle. I poured it into my Ommegang chalice, after letting it warm up just slightly from the fridge temperature.

A: A blossoming three fingers of light pink head rose up quickly. The body of this beer is a murky rose pink, with peach highlights. It seems almost brownish. The head retention is good. However, despite the quality head on top, this beer looks dull and murky. Also, be on the look out for the sludge at the bottom of the glass. It isn't pretty, and it doesn't taste good.

S: The smell is a force to be reckoned with. The scent of strawberries practically billows out of the glass. The sweet scent of ripened strawberries overpowers any other aroma. In my opinion, even though it smells like genuine fruit, it is just a bit overdone.

T: Up front, it tastes very much like strawberry juice. It is almost puree-like. The tip of the tongue picks up a lot of sweetness; then, as the liquid migrates towards the back of the mouth, a welcome tartness causes the tongue to salivate. It is a welcome balance to that almost cloying sweetness. It is surprisingly dry at the swallow, exhibiting the refreshing characteristic of witbier. The aftertaste is mostly strawberry with (finally) some back-up from the Belgian spices. A soft orange peel...grains of paradise maybe? I think the flavor is very well crafted, remaining balanced for a fruit beer. Good idea combining fruit beer with Belgian white.

M: The carbonation is light and spritzy, lifting the beer right off the tongue. It's medium body is full of residual sugars. Some could think this beer to be overly sweet. There is a lot of sugar left behind in the mouth after the swallow. Yet, the carbonation is just right, making this beer much, much more palatable.

D: I don't think I would ever want to consume more than one of these 11 oz. bottles in a night, or even in a week. It should rate higher, since it is a fruit beer and has low alcohol. This should be a tasty summer treat, yet I find it too heavy for that role. It is a good beer, and an excellent concept, but it falls short here.

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer from Brouwerij Huyghe