Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer - Brouwerij Huyghe

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-17-2003

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at the biermarkt. Review is based on drinking some of my gf's drink. Poured a cloudy pink, with almost no head but good amounts of lacing clinging to the glass. Nose was primarily super sweet strawberries and sugar. There must've been some sorta fruit juice added.

Taste is strawberries, sweet and tart finish. Points were knocked off all around because this just wasn't much of a 'beer' at all. Tasted more like a strawberry wine/cider. Not a beer, but delicious nonetheless.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

on tao 12 oz serving

A- pours a clear pink color with a light head no lacing
S- strawberry cake with light wheat
T= strawberry spritzer with some cake and bread tastes
M-crisp and light with medium carbonation a little dry sweet sugar
O-more like a strawberry soda than a beer

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

I like strawberries. I like beer (otherwise I wouldn't be here). But the two together had me hopeful and worried (Wild Blue). This was the beer for the salad course at the beer dinner on 4/4/09 at Kindling.

A: This pours red with a creamy pink head. With the actual beer part of this being a Belgian wheat beer I wasn't surprised that it was cloudy with the typical sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S: When we started pouring this one I could smell it across the room. There might be other, more subtle, aromas in there but the strawberry covers them.

T: Eventually you can taste some of the other beer elements but they come more on the mid to trailing edge. Up front (no surprise here) it's strawberry. With this having 30% fruit juice it's hard to avoid the strawberry. On the trailing edge you get some of the wheat beer spiciness. Pairing this up with the salad course I think helped cut the sweetness.

M: Light, bubbly yet not over carbonated.

D: On its own, I know I would not want more than one at a session. I would want something to cut the sweetness (like at the dinner). It was a little sweet for me but I feel it is worth the experience.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a flute glass a pinkish red with a thin diminishing head that leaves slight lacing. Aroma is strawberries, that is all. The taste is loads of strawberries with a slight amount of witbier flavor poking through. The beer is quite light and crisp, but the sweetness dominates. This one seems like nothing more than a gimmick beer.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%

I've tried this in the past and recall liking it. Having been bombarded with great stuff over the summer, I thought I would give this a try again and see how it measures up.

Pours a cloudy reddish color, pretty much exactly like strawberry juice, with one finger of head. Head quickly evaporates. No real lacing.

Smell is a sweet, creamy strawberry scent that reminds me of candy.

Taste follows from the scent. Sweet, creamy strawberry like candy. A bit too sweet for my tastes, like an overly sugary jam almost. Bit of a dry finish. Strawberry flavor also doesn't linger very long.

This is more of a desert beer than a regular sessional beer to me. Accompanied with the proper pairings, such as other fruits, and I am sure this would be quite fantastic. By itself, I would probably pass it over in favor of other stuff.

3.32/5  rDev -3.8%

250ml bottle.

pours a reddish pink murky ale in the glass. Puffy off white cap. Nice lacing,

Ample aromas of real strawberry and wet mustiness.

Flavor is like a strawberry soda that had a wet horse blankets soaking in it. Nice balance of real fruit and lambic...

... but again it is the adjunct sugar that frigs up the drink.

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

Served lightly chilled in a flute glass.

Pours a pretty rose amber color with a moderate amount of tiny bubbles escalating up the glass throughout drinking. Thin off white foamy head dissipates into a thin ring quickly.

Smells primarily of ripe strawberries with a light scent of orange and woodiness.

Taste of fresh strawberries. Sweet tasting, but not overly sweet. There is a light hint of orange and coriander and a slight bitterness on the back taste. It was much better than I expected. The strawberry flavor is natural.

Light bodied, champagne-like, with the right amount of carbonation. The downfall is that it is too sticky. It leaves your mouth and lips sticky; but it doesn't taste sticky. The flavor is very short lived; the taste is long gone and the stickiness remains.

The mouthfeel makes this beer much less drinkable. The taste and smell are commendable.

3.34/5  rDev -3.2%

250 ml bottle served cold into glassware. Cost was about $2.60 CDN.

Appearance - Pink in color, capped by just under a finger of white head with a pink tinge to it. Quite a few active bubbles and the head presents some lasting power. Quite hazy.

Smell - A plethora of ripened strawberries covered in sugar.

Taste - Again a bunch of fresh strawberries, a little oversweet, but not excessively so like other fruit beers. Not a lot else.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and refreshing with a light body and slightly above average carbonation.

Overall - A tasty albeit expensive fruit beer that is pretty good as strawberries go. However, unless I'm offered this again I won't be picking it up since the taste and enjoy-ability just don't match the price.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a cloudy strawberry red color (how appropriate) with a 1/2 inch tan fluffy head which dissipates quickly; a lot of sediment floating around in the bottom of the glass. Leaves decent spotty lacing.

Smells of strawberry, sweet malt, yeast or grains, cotton candy, sugar, orange peel and artificial sweeteners...very, very sweet nose, like a kid's fruit juice.

Tastes like it smells, with the flavor of strawberry, cotton candy, sugar, candy like Skittles, Starburst or taffy, sweet malt, yeast, caramel, orange peel and a ton of artificial sweeteners or candy sugar. This is by far the sweetest beer that I've ever had, but it seems to go down easy and not be too offensive with the over the top sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and creamy, with a medium body that feels heavier than it is because of the juice-like sweetness; very light to no carbonation, this is almost too watery as this beer went down very easy. I had to force myself to sip it, otherwise I would have chugged it like a glass of juice.

Overall it was enjoyable, but it was too sweet for my liking to have this on a regular basis. It was a nice experimental beer and I'm glad I tried it because I'd never seen a strawberry beer prior to this one. This is a beer that female non beer drinkers would like and is a good desert beer, but only one at a time. Not my type of session beer, but it's worth trying for its uniqueness.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Pour cloudy pink color with a light pink head. The head on this beer has moderate retention and there is noticeable lacing.

S - Like strawberry jam. Thats about it

T - Like a light strawberry soda. Nothing but strawberries in the taste. Taste kind of artificial.

M - Light bodied. Good carbonation. Probably the best part of the beer.

D - Wouldnt be to hard to enjoy a few of these. I dont think i would seek it out again though. 2.49 for a tiny bottle is kinda steep. maybe if it was a 12oz or a pint bottle i would buy it again.

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Comes in a 250 ml brown bottle, red foil around the neck and cap. Pours out a dense cloudy light red, nearly pink, with a large pinkish head with good retention, plus some lacing. At first the nose is a big hit of strawberry Hubba Bubba, but some weak notes of wheat can be picked up underneath. The flavour is also predominantly strawberry, with lighter notes of wheat and coriander becoming apparent near the finish. The mouthfeel is sparkling and refreshing. Very sweet as a whole though. A nice little bevvy for those into this kind of thing, I don't tend to mind them in small doses. But lets put it this way, if you don't like fruit beers then stay away, as you'll despise this.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

Now this is a very interesting brew, in that I am pleased that I tried it and happy that I bought just one.
The appearance is very nice with the colour mixture of strawberry and orange.
The crown was short but ended with a nice glass ring.
The body is full.
The carbonation is undetermined due to the cloudiness of the brew.
Aroma is strongly of the strawberry.
The taste starts very sweet but is quicky offset by the orange peel.
Initially strawberry and finishes to the orange peel.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

This HAD to have come to me in either a trade or as a gift! I am not down on Fruit Beers, but unless they come in a CAN, they are among the last that I will reach for when given a choice. As you might imagine, this was not high on my list of bottled beers to drink and like so many, it got shunted to the side to become part of my bottle backlog. I am fully engaged in the Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014 and it is time for this one to see the light of day.

From the bottle: "Belgian White Ale brewed with spices (coriander & orange peel) with natural and artificial flavors added."; "Produced with a centuries old brewing process, Fruli is a premium white Belgian ale brewed with fruit juice."

Hmmm. Is it a Fruit Beer or a Belgian Wit with fruit juice as an adjunct? No wonder Los Hermanos Alstrom want to re-categorize these hybrid styles. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate on BeerAdvocate right now.

I thought that I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle, so I employed a very gentle pour. The carbonation in this was fantastic, producing a brief finger of fizzy, pink head that simply fizzled out, becoming wisps. Color was a hazy pinkish-amber (SRM = N/A) and I found myself giggling at it. Nose was like strawberry preserves! I have been thinking of my grandmothers a lot recently and they were the ones who initially taught me to do home canning. My paternal grandmother was really into jellies and preserves, which are tougher than simply putting up vegetables for the winter. This reminded me of her kitchen on some days. Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, like soda pop or seltzer water. The taste was very much strawberry, coming in very sweet and then becoming tart, like those SweetTart candies I remember as a kid. Finish was more tart than sweet, but it still struck me as awfully sugary. I have a feeling that I may not be its intended audience. I would probably serve it with dessert if I had to drink it again.

3.38/5  rDev -2%

Pours a dark salmon color with a white pink candy head. A very thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. One of the thickest I have yet seen, and it takes a lot to shake it up. Pouring in the sediment changes the color to a warmer brown. Smells like chalky strawberry candies. Taste is chalky as well. Very fruity and artificial. Taste is a lot like pink runts. Pretty light and sort of coating like medicine. A definite easy drink, but I don't think I could drink more than two in a row, the chalky sensation would take too much away from the enjoyment if I were to session with this.
Cheers.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a two finger faint pink head that fades quickly, leaving some lace. Cloudy pink/amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Strawberry nose. Flavor is wicked sweet liquid strawberries. This is a summer beer. $3.85 for a 250ml bottle from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH.

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

250 ml. bottle topped with red foil.
Poured into my Pioneer Brewing Co. Dopplebock tulip.

Rich frothy pinkish resiliant head. Pink lace stays throughout the beer.
Cloudy pinkish/orange color. Medium carbonation.
Has the aroma of strawberry yogurt starburst smoothie with some over-ripe bitterness. Very sweet, no discernable hops or malt.
Has the taste of very ripe strawberries. I'm surprised I'm not finding any little black seeds in my teeth after drinking this. Less a beer and more a fruit smoothie.
Slight bitterness towards the end of the beer, and finishes a bit dry. Cloying, but not overly. Still no hops that I can tell. Much lace still present.
Sweeter than any fruit beer I've had to date. Very tasty. Would have been nice with some chocolate covered strawberries.

My wife said that this tasted like what rotten fruit smells like. What does she know.

3.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well, what's to say? It's a beer spritzer. Good cold sittin' on the patio, but not a serious drinkin' beer.

Hazy red-pink colour, no head or lace to speak of. Lots of strawberries on the nose and on the palette, just enough in the background to remind you that it's built on a beer base. Everything works together well enough.

I like strawberries and this was tasty enough that I'd do it again. Frankly, I'd rather drink one of these before tipping up a Belle Vue Kriek. It is what is is – a tasty summer novelty beer. Have some fun with it, but don't expect anything serious to develop.

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured into a chalice by freshness date.

It shines by a cloudy pinkish red body with small pinkish white head. Load of fruity, juicy, tart and sweet of strawberry in both aroma and flavor also with a tinge of some spice and syrup, malt is there with a bready touch to make it to feel like strawberry soft cake.

Mouthfeel is rather smooth with light-bodied and crisp carbonation, dry finish. This is quite spirited and refreshing by an appropriate mixture of wheat and strawberry.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Poured from a smallish 8.4 fluid ounce (250 ml) bottle a hazy, orangish pink with floating bits of fruit which are lifted up by the robust carbonation only to fall again. Initial 1/4" white head fades quickly to the rim leaving globs of sheet lace.

N: Obligatory strawberries up front with some wheaty grains, slight must, sweetness and corriander spice. The strawberries lend a faint plastic/cheesy character.

T: Like a sweet strawberry soda, but balanced by the wheat with some orange zest. Initially the sweetness comes with the first sip and then is muted.

M: Light body and semi-full carbonation. Fruity and zesty wheat throughout from start to finish.

O: Balanced fruit and wheat with orange and faint corriander was surprisingly pleasant. Easy drinking at 4.1 %. Perhaps a tad too much sweetness.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

250ml bottle poured into a 13.5oz tulip.

A - Pours a glowing, vibrant cherry red, with a small fizzy head of pinkish-white bubbles. Very cloudy. Decent head retention and some nice lacing for what it is.

S - Beer ingredients are minimal. Very little malt here, and no hops at all. Big fruity character, but rather artificial feeling. Strawberries are there, but this smells more like candy than fruit. Really just smells like a fruit-roll-up, honestly...

T - Artificial strawberry flavor and a surprising malt backbone; quite bready. Subtle notes of vanilla and citrus come through. Still has a distinct fruit-roll-up quality to it. Simple and refreshing, but not really my thing.

M - High carbonation with a light body. Pretty much what one would expect with a brew like this.

D - Probably not something I would buy again, as this really strikes me as a beer for the non-beer-drinker. And between this and the like-minded Liefmans Fruitesse, I'll opt for the latter in the future.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle pours a hazy ruby body with a small light pink head. Some spotty lace is on the goblet.

Aroma of strawberry jam and strawberry jolly ranchers.

Light medium body, medium carbonation and a prevailing natural and artificial strawberry sweetness.

Taste is strawberry jolly ranchers with some strawberry jam. I'm not picking up any yeast, pepper, or coriander notes, maybe a hint of mustiness. Finishes with a strawberry note and leaves a strawberry jam aftertaste.

How many times can you type "strawberry" in a beer review? If you like strawberry jam or jolly ranchers, you might want to try this one, but its more artificial than natural and a bit cloying.

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer from Brouwerij Huyghe