Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer - Brouwerij Huyghe

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-17-2003

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

A: hazy red with a little wispy head

S: strawberries, tons of sugar.

T: same as the smell basically, super sweet and barely anything else going on.

M: syrupy and heavy.

D: well, i don't think i'd want another anyways. nothing special here, there are much better fruit beers out there.

2.89/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured ontap, a hazy dull red in appearance with some pink colored foam.

The beer smells quite fruity, strawberries fill the nostrils.

Taste is more akin to a strawberry soda than a true beer. Dull lambic qualities and over the top fruit and sweetness dominate the palate. It succeeds fairly well with the strawberry taste, the only downfall being the lack of beer qualities. Malt body is faint. If strawberry soda is a favorite of yours, you must try this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lingering sweetness.

Drinkability: A sweet strawberry beer sure to please the ladies and non-beer drinking friends.

Had on tap at Rose Alley, New Bedford

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/2 inch head, fluorescent pinkish-purple in color, cloudy

Smell: strawberry cocktail

Taste: strawberries, passionfruit, some wheat. Kinda like a strawberry cocktail.

Mouthfeel: sweet but not as sweet as I expected, medium carbonation throughout, light body

Drinkability: I dunno, I guess this may be a beer. It tastes more like a strawberry cocktail that I would expect to get on a cruise ship. As an overall beverage, it is not bad. But if you are looking for a strawberry beer, go with Covington’s or Sam Smiths

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't like the beer at all. I loved the look of the bottle and that's pretty much it.

I tried this beer in a wheat beer glass. The color is nice with it's pink color and the smell is just pure strawberry, wich smell really good.

But I just found that it taste more like a strawberry cooler than beer. I reviewed it on 3 separate occasion with different kinds of glasses and directly from the bottle but I still didn't like it. Althought I found it better tasting directly from the bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

So I've shyed away from Früli until now, mostly because I thought it was a straightforward super sweet fruit beer. FInally reading the back of the label revealed that it's a white ale with spices and strawberry juice. Sounds like an alright choice for aSunday afternoon. On to the beer:

All 250 ml of the bottle fits inside the Hoegaarden glass. It looks more like a fruit beverage that a beer with its pinkish, beet red flesh. The foam on top is low and creamy in texture, slowly dropping off the edge of the glass. The smell of sweet strawberries are met. While pleasant, it smells more like a juice with added sugar than sweet and tart strawberries. I'll learn more whe I taste it.

My nose was correct. Tasting it, it is a very sweet strawberry flavor. On it's own, it could be okay. With a white ale backdrop, the fusion doesn't get along great. Spiced coriandor interupts the strawberry juice and becomes unappealingly spicy and bland. The low yet bubbly carbonation doesn't help much in this case either. While it is somewhat drinkable, it's not wildy appealing.

I've had worse fruit beers than Früli, though I'd expect better from the makers of those pink elephant beers. Not balanced well enough.

2.91/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance - Comes in a nice bottle with a red foil top which is a bit tacky. Grapefruit juice like color as expected with a nice inch of pinkish foam that laces fairly well with a retaining head. The beer itself has a cloudy, which makes me question it some, but I'm honestly not sure if that's normal for a fruit beer.

Smell - A nice smell of strawberries and sugar with an almost sparkling wine scent to it. I think I might be catching a little bit of barley and orange in the background but it's overpowered by the sweetness.

Taste - Well, it's not a bad taste that this beer has, it's that it honestly tastes more like I'm drinking sparkling, strawberry icewine with less of a kick. It honestly tastes like strawberries with a light syrupy taste with a touch of coriander in the background. There is practically no wheat, grain, malt, hop or any beer like qualities to this drink.

Mouthfeel - You don't really see it in the beer, but there is a bit too much carbonation. If the beer tasted more like a beer, this would be ok, but because it tastes so fruity it comes off with the taste you'd expect from spoiled juice. Aftertaste is nice though and a bit dry and certainly doesn't linger.

Drinkability - This beer is quite light, and not that hard to put down, but honestly, as a beer, this stuff is not drinkable. I know I have a sweet tooth but not an entire pint worth of it. Honestly, if you served it in sniffers or even tall shot glasses I could see it being a decent oddball desert drink.

Final Thoughts - Upon reflection, I see why they made the fancy bottle for this beer. This is probably made to appeal more to the sweet wine drinkers crowd. Really, I would have re-branded it a strawberry malt liqueur because it is a beer in name only. The only way I would buy it again would be if I was told to bring something weird to a party.

2.91/5  rDev -15.9%

250mL bottle from the LCBO in Toronto. Pours a nice, cloudy dark brown. Smells like children's cough syrup - ugh. The taste is, not surprisingly, of strawberries. Better than children's cough syrup anyway. This is like strawberry juice. (Well, I suppose it IS strawberry juice.) Which isn't so bad, I suppose - unless you were hoping for something resembling a beer.

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

Best before January 2007.

A: Hazy, orange-brown, white head, very little retention, but it leaves some lace. Not bad for it's weight, but not impressive for a Wit.

S: Strawberry with an assertive, funky, tartness.

T: Sweet/tart balance tends to tip to the tart side. Fruity strawberries (somewhat fake flavour), slightly bready. It's something different to try, but not very engaging.

M: Light body is acidic & fairly dry. Moderate carbonation.

D: Could be refreshing on a hot summer day, but it tastes a little fake.

2.94/5  rDev -15%

Smells like a whole lot of strawberries. Looks like unfiltered apple juice. Taste is quite sweet and strawberry-y, but a touch artificial. Slight bitterness doesn't go well with the fruitiness of the berries. Supposedly this has coriander and orange peel in it as well, but I don't really taste it. I guess this is what one would expect from a strawberry beer, but really, it's just a novelty. Not really a good idea...

2.96/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orange-brownish pink which reminded me of what you'd get if you mixed orange and cranberry juices in roughly equal proportions, with the exception of the fairly small light pink head. Honestly, I could barely bring myself to taste it. Smell is, unsurprisingly, dominated by strawberry, but was very sweet, and had yeasty undertones. Not bad, but not beery. Taste is sweet strawberry, like yogurt, but with a slightly tart yeast in the finish. Mouthfeel is flat, rather like the aforementioned juice combo, and drinkability is okay, but I'm put off by how utterly disgusting it looks.

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours out a red clear with very little bubbles.
Smell is strawberry. Very Very Straw Berry. Jelly Jam/ Grandma's preserves. It is sugar and strawberry.
Taste is too sweet for my palate.
Mouthfeel is sugary sticky and doesn't leave the mouth.
Drinkability is not much here. Way too sweet.

3.02/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Strawberry pink as expected & not transparent. slightly bubbly though. There was no head at all, only the thinnest of lacing left around the top of the glass. I added an extra point here simply because it was different to me, otherwise it would have rated slightly lower.

A very strong smell of strawberry from the second the bottle is open. Smells very much like strawberry flavoured hard candy. A very a nice aroma but nothing like your usual beer smell.

A nice, strong strawberry flavour to begin with that is very similar to a Bacardi breezer or a sparkling rosy wine. The beer like after taste is not to good though & has a kind of musty feel to it that lingers in your mouth. Starts very well but this doesn't last & in the end I was sick of drinking it after a few mouthfuls.

This one was light bodied with plenty of carbonation and a lot of fizz in the beer, almost like drinking a fizzy soft drink and totally unlike a beer. Quite an easy going mouthfeel.

A nice, pleasant beer to start with that goes downhill after a couple of drinks and starts to make you wish you stuck to a 'normal' beer. Good as a one of change but I was glad it came in a 250ml bottle as you would have probably given up on it after that much.

More beer reviews & lists at:

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

The red-foiled 250 ml bottle opened with a puff of strawberry smell...surprise. Poured, the beer is a definite orange colour; carrot juice colouration. Extremely unclear, with a tomato juice look. The lees are a sludgy near-purple. 1 cm of cream-head, bone white, which evaporates quickly to a thin layer. For me, the best part of this beer is the unique appearance. The aroma is basic and painfully uncomplex: all I sensed, besides the most ephemeral sniff of malt wheat, was strawberries; strawberry jam. Sweet to the extreme, and the aroma really is that simple. The taste is much of the same. Extreme strawberry extract. There IS a little yeast and some faint wheat. Perfumy in the middle, along with some tangy citrus. Soapy licorice, and sour candy. The finish is tart, with hints of the coriander under the cloying strawberry. The taste, like the aroma, is unbalanced with very limited drinkability, unless you love strawberries, and nothing else in a beer. Medium carbonation. As a strawberry drink, this might rate highly; but it is deficient in what it purports to be: a beer. I am a sweet-beer lover in the extreme, but this needs to have SOME complexity and balance.

3.04/5  rDev -12.1%

This is a strawberry beverage. I would hesitate to call it beer.

Serve this to anyone who doesn't like beer and they will love it, mostly because it tastes like a cooler.

As for me, I found it to actually be quite enjoyable. Once I got over the fact that it tasted nothing like beer, I started to like it.

This "beer" tastes only like strawberries, but hey, I like strawberries, so it was appreciated.

It was perhaps a little too sweet, a little cloying at times.

3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Pours a very pink color. Points added for a decent head with good retention on it. Most fruit beers screw that up.
S- Smell is of strawberries, sweet, with just a hint of coriander and orange, as advertised. They promised strawberries and delivered. There is just a little beat of yeasty twang as well. But largely strawberrry.
T- The taste is more sour whereas the nose suggested sweet. Coriander, orange, and wheat are vaguely present. As it warmed the yeastyness became more apparent to me.
M- Light with low carbonation, which is good, as overcarbed fruit beers tend to seem like soda.
D- It's not bad, for a fruit beer, but in the end, it's still something of a novelty beer and not something i seek to sessionize.

3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

A - This beer poured a copper-red color that produced a small head with a slight pinkish hue, which left no lacing and had minimal retention

S - The amomas of this beer were overtaken by the strawberries

T - The beer components were knocked out by the strawberry juice component, not a lot to work with here

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light, crisp body, with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - Being a mix of fruit juice and beer, this wasn't very appeasing to me

3.06/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours hazy red, not much carbonation or head. The aroma of this beer is really something -- it's powerfully strawberry, like sticking your nose into a jar of jam. Very appealing, assuming you're really into the idea of strawberry beer. But i was disappointed with the taste -- it's less strawberry lambic than just strawberry juice, a powerfully sweet, syrupy brew with no real malt or hop presence. I can imagine someone who loves sweet strawberry confections being into this, but it's not something I'd ever pick up again.

3.07/5  rDev -11.3%

Hmm, I was expecting more out of this.

A- Looks good- a light copper color with carbonation bubbles, though no head and almost no lacing.

S- The best part. It smells delightfully like strawberries, but that's its biggest strength and falls flat everywhere else.

T- Tastes horribly bland and watery. It really tastes just like strawberry flavored water. I can get a big bottle of that for about fifty cents (and that actually tastes better due to more carbonation), whereas this was $3.50 and not even 12 oz and tastes more bland. It's not *bad*, mind you, just bland as all hell.

M- A little thin and watery, but that's what I'd expect from a fruit beer anyway.

Overall, horribly disappointed for the price, and I normally love fruit beers. I'll be sticking to Delirium Tremens.

3.08/5  rDev -11%

Review from notes on May 22, 2009. Poured from an undated 8.4 oz cute little bottle.

A - Slightly hazy, reddish orange with an off-white and rose-tinted 2" head in a tulip. Yielded some lacing. Pretty cool color.

S - Tart berries with a hint of strawberries. Slightly bitter aroma as well, perhaps of orange peels? Somewhat funky, reminiscent of a saison with strawberry syrup.

T - Very sweet, like a strawberry orange soda. Some coriander maybe? Not much else though. A touch of bitterness in the finish reminds me that this is still a beer and not a soda.

M - Refreshing and light bodied with high carbonation. Sticky and syrupy finish.

D - Quite drinkable, although if I want a beer, I would rather have something less sweet and soda-like. This is why I must detract 0.5 from the score.

Overall - Swirled and added the residual yeast into the glass when there were about 3 oz left. The yeast added a bit more fullness to the body, a bit of texture, and takes some of the cloying sweetness away. I paid about $3 for this and I'm going to go ahead and say that it's worth the novelty factor but I probably won't be getting this again. All in all, not a horrible beer though, just quite different from what I'm used to in terms of fruit beer.

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

wow. amazed at how red this beer actually was. looks like a slightly cloudy shirley temple. really. with a small white head on top.

smells like strawberry syrup. really. with maybe just a hint of hop somewhere if you look for it.

taste like strawberry pop, straight up. you can slightly still tell that its a beer.

if this had a tad bit more carbonation, it would be strawberry pop. but the mouthfeel is fine, a nice medium body. left a sweet stickiness on the lips, thats how sweet it is.

heres where this beer fails, i simply didnt find it drinkable. had it at a pub in dublin our of curiousity. had a great taste, but the novelty soon wore off, and by the time i got midway through, i was ready to get rid of it. way too sweet to drink a whole pint of this. and nothing that anybody would order another of, im certain.

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Drank on a Saturday night at the Porterhouse Temple Bar location -it was on tap as part of their Belgian Beer Festival.

Poured a hazy light copper-nice for a wheat beer with a small head that lasted about a minute or so.

Smelled strongly of strawberries-but I guess that was the idea in the first place.

The strawberries hit your tongue and mouth right away and the carbonation is light and bubbly-almost like an apple juice or something. There isnt much wheat beer taste really as the berry taste is strong almost artificial.

This is a light going down beer and there isnt too much to it so I could see how some people could drink plenty of these-but it isnt really for me. Overall it is an interesting take on a fruit beer, but I think that I will try something different next time.

3.15/5  rDev -9%

A: Appearance of red fruit punch with a bit of head that quickly vanishes to leave a ring of bubbles that cling to the glass.

S: Strawberry jam with that syrupy sugar aroma. Also picking up some orchard fruits like apples and pears. Yeast faintly through the dominant berry smell, and some sparkling mineral water aroma present too.

T: Very sweet and syrupy strawberry upfront with hints of crisp apple and ripe banana. Tart and dry in the middle but quickly disappears to finish oddly bland and empty.

M: Light mouthfeel with below average carbonation I'd say for this style.

D: Not sure I would seek this out again, but glad I finally got around to trying this. Not a big fan of this style done with the syrupy sweet, almost artificial-like, taste.

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Früli Strawberry Beer is a hazy, reddish light brown beer with a small film of an off-white head that has decent lacing. It has a powerful strawberry aroma, like strawberry candy. It's light bodied, papery and crisp with very fine carbonation. It's sweet with flavors of strawberry candy, bread, maybe apples and some bitter coriander. It's very unique but pretty artificial tasting.

3.16/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A very beery, sulfrous, puke-like surge of aromas release from the freshly cracked lid. The color is brownish rose. The head is curled and gurgly. As it airs out, the aromas become more of a straightforward ferment of ripe strawberrys, strawberry juice and strawberry jam. Toasted malts and beer aromas seem to clash there. The flavors are quite sweet and juicy. Low-acid, unbitter and strawberry juice flavored -- this is not for the "beer" purist. Sweeter than the Lindeman's fruit beers, not to its credit.

3.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from an 8.4 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

Had a small light pink head that vanished rather quickly. The smell is all strawberries. Kind of like a strawberry daiquiri, or a strawberry wine cooler. More strawberries in the taste, of course. More watery and tart than I would have liked it to be.

It's an okay beer, but not worth the $3.69 I paid for a single bottle. I don't even think it would be worth $2.

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer from Brouwerij Huyghe