Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Reviews by JaredKent:
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: A tad lighter than I had expected. The bottle obviously gives no hint to what is inside, but I was expecting something a bit more amber. A beautiful head is formed on the initial pour and holds wonderfully throughout the entire tasting. Roughly a 9 SRM.

Scent: The first thing I smell is a hint of that traditional Belgian funk. Nothing that takes over the beer, but just enough that says, "We are now landing in Belgium, I hope you enjoy your stay." The next thing on my nose is fruit. There's banana from the esters, but also something sweeter, tropical, berry-like. We are talking bubble gum esters here. Underneath all bubble gum is a malt driven beer that is just asking you to take a sip.

Taste: The aroma is so heavy on the esters that the taste took me a bit by surprise. I taste the beer that was hidden underneath the bubble gum aromas. The flavors of the pale malt are much more prominent on the tongue. A hint of that Belgian flair just like on the nose. My biggest surprise here was the definite presence of alcohol. Not quite as smooth as the fruity aroma lead me to believe. A little bit of harshness on the back but nothing overbearing.

Mouthfeel: As previously mentioned this beer isn't quite as smooth as I was expecting. The alcohol is omnipresent, which I'm not a huge fan of. The carbonation is high with lots of tiny bubbles.

Overall: I was a bit surprised by this one. The aromas brought me to a place that reminded me almost of childhood, but the flavors didn't quite follow. This was an enjoyable beer to drink, but the initial conflict between the aroma and flavor threw me off. I would definitely say I enjoyed this beer, but I enjoyed each aspect separately. The aromas and flavors just weren't speaking the same language to me.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a huge blooming head,the aroma is a little spicey and fruity.The taste was definently yeasty and spicey with some juicy fruit notes as well.This beer has some very yeasty flavors to it the alcohol creeps up on ya after it sits awhile.Pretty good Belgian pale but thought it might be a little better.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Granny Smith apples are the first thing that comes to mind after tasting this beer. I've never really had a beer that tasted like this before. Surprisingly sour with a citric twang to it. Also deceptively strong considering how easy it is to drink. Not sure I'd buy it again at $9/bottle, but definitely a very interesting beer.

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and very cloudy with a modest head that laced well.

Smell – Nice malt and yeast aroma with big orange characteristics. There’s also some light spiciness in the nose as well. I can pick up the standard coriander and white pepper, among others.

Taste – This one is lighter than I expected. The malt and yeast are barely there. The spicy orange flavor dominates. The 8.5 ABV comes on a little too strong on the pallet, too.

Mouthfeel – This was kind of flat. Some of the other reviews go on about the carbonation, so maybe I got a bad bottle.

Drinkability – This one just didn’t do it for me. The absence of a strong malt base made this one go down more like a witbier than a BSPA.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought this so I could culture the yeast to make a starter for a DT clone I was whipping up...well, not enough yeast to get the starter going. But, this is one damn fine brew:

Note - the alcohol can vary from 8.5 to 9.2 % - mine was the 8.5% variety.

Poured into a pint glass, not all of it would fit.

A - 4 - pale gold, with a small head with fine bubbles. Hardly any carbonation going on. May be due to the minute quantity of yeast for bottle conditioning.

S - 3.75- nose is complex, no hops. reminiscent of allspice, some cherries, a little pepper, bready, earthy. very pleasing to my sniffer.

T - 4.5 - OMG! As smooth as a baby's bottom. Not hot at all, given the alcohol content. A very clean ale, bread and allspice dominate, with a little pepper on the back end.

M -3.25- almost flat, small bodied. may be the bottle was old? I'd probably have to try it again.

O - for a big brew, this is SOOO easy to drink. I don't think the lack of carbonation hurts the score. Would have rated it higher if it had more carb, and if it was 9.2%. Definitely on my Beershelf HoF. Would like to try it on tap sometime....

3.05/5  rDev -26%

I had always seen this beer sitting with the other 750ml Belgians at various beer purveyors in and around New York City. The bottle seemed gimmicky, but I finally caved and bought one.

The smell was nice and spicy, a bit like a Brooklyn Local One, but the taste was much more sour. I wasn't really expecting this, and I'm not a huge fan of this flavor. However, it was nice to have something surprisingly different.

Ideally, I'd have just one smaller 330ml bottle (do they make this?), but I'll probably finish the whole bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a sunshine yellow, bright golden color with a fluffy white head; volatile beer that produces a large head with a modest pour, moderate lacing on the way down. Some sediment floating around in this hazy, golden abyss of a beer.

The nose is really great; full of sweet esters and savory alcohol. Deep spices, clove and pepper come to mind. Fruity sweetness from the malts and bread-like yeast are also apparent. Smells very akin to a sweeter version of a tripel. Then again, what's the real difference between a tripel and a BSPA anyway?

First sip hits the mouth very crisp and tight, lots of carbonation. Warmth piles up from the alcohol, slightly medicinal in character. This is counterbalanced immediately by an abundance of sweet and fruity esters; bananas, bubblegum, cloves, pineapple, white pepper, apple skins - all noticeable on the palate.

Slight bitterness and floral tones make their way into the beer near the tail end, giving a nice balance to the sweetness. The finish leaves your mouth with a yeast flavor in the back, complete with a decrescendo of sweetness, spice, and mild bitterness that fade out perfectly. Medium body, almost on the thick side - heavy carbonation.

This is my favorite brew from the guys over at Huyghe. It's quite strong at 8.5% ABV and could easily sneak up on you, so take this one slow. You'll want to savor it, anyway. This is some very tasty stuff.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First time I met it was in a Belgian pub in Holland in a snifter at a good temperature.

Excellent design and unique logo.

Heaps of head. Intense sweet fruit flavour and sweet spices hitting you instantly. High carbonation very balanced with the yeast. Simply delicious and easy to drink for 8.5 % - became very jolly afterwards!

My favourite Belgian elephant!

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delirium Tremens 25.4 oz corked and caged. Belgian strong pale ale 8.5% alcohol, poured into ommegang oversized wine glass. Imported 3/2010.

A- Pours a beautiful crisp and clear yellow orange fluid that boast a one inch head that lingers the whole brew. Lacing is excellent with spider web links top to bottom.

S- Smell is of Belgian yeast, sweet grainy malts, mild alcohol esters, with hints of grassy hops.

T-M- Taste is a massive amount of grass, lemon, pear, and starfruit hoppyness. Maltiness is a light but appearent sweet prune and fig bite. Yeasty bite is what follows in a musty and chalky mouthfeel that creates a mild carbonation slipping down the tongue smoothly.

D- Dangerously drinkable with nothing less than a triple taste for a strong pale ale alcohol content to tell you differently.

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

A great Belgian Trippel with a high alcohol content at about 8.5%. Exactly what one would expect from a traditional belgian ale, very spicy and unique yet full bodied and strong. Additionally, it comes in a very cool white ceramic bottle.. A great beer to start exploring belgian beers with!

3.75/5  rDev -9%