Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Ratings: 5,105 | Reviews: 1,633
Reviews by match1112:
3.4/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pretty much tastes like miller fortune. Not worth $15.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tried it on draft at Leesburg Public House (Leesburg VA). Loved it because I don't care for hoppy beers.
Later bought it in bottles from Jungle Jims (Eastgate OH). Not as good in bottle, but a good beer.
Negative is high price.

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a huge blooming head,the aroma is a little spicey and fruity.The taste was definently yeasty and spicey with some juicy fruit notes as well.This beer has some very yeasty flavors to it the alcohol creeps up on ya after it sits awhile.Pretty good Belgian pale but thought it might be a little better.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Granny Smith apples are the first thing that comes to mind after tasting this beer. I've never really had a beer that tasted like this before. Surprisingly sour with a citric twang to it. Also deceptively strong considering how easy it is to drink. Not sure I'd buy it again at $9/bottle, but definitely a very interesting beer.

2.8/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and very cloudy with a modest head that laced well.

Smell – Nice malt and yeast aroma with big orange characteristics. There’s also some light spiciness in the nose as well. I can pick up the standard coriander and white pepper, among others.

Taste – This one is lighter than I expected. The malt and yeast are barely there. The spicy orange flavor dominates. The 8.5 ABV comes on a little too strong on the pallet, too.

Mouthfeel – This was kind of flat. Some of the other reviews go on about the carbonation, so maybe I got a bad bottle.

Drinkability – This one just didn’t do it for me. The absence of a strong malt base made this one go down more like a witbier than a BSPA.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought this so I could culture the yeast to make a starter for a DT clone I was whipping up...well, not enough yeast to get the starter going. But, this is one damn fine brew:

Note - the alcohol can vary from 8.5 to 9.2 % - mine was the 8.5% variety.

Poured into a pint glass, not all of it would fit.

A - 4 - pale gold, with a small head with fine bubbles. Hardly any carbonation going on. May be due to the minute quantity of yeast for bottle conditioning.

S - 3.75- nose is complex, no hops. reminiscent of allspice, some cherries, a little pepper, bready, earthy. very pleasing to my sniffer.

T - 4.5 - OMG! As smooth as a baby's bottom. Not hot at all, given the alcohol content. A very clean ale, bread and allspice dominate, with a little pepper on the back end.

M -3.25- almost flat, small bodied. may be the bottle was old? I'd probably have to try it again.

O - for a big brew, this is SOOO easy to drink. I don't think the lack of carbonation hurts the score. Would have rated it higher if it had more carb, and if it was 9.2%. Definitely on my Beershelf HoF. Would like to try it on tap sometime....

3.1/5  rDev -24.9%

I had always seen this beer sitting with the other 750ml Belgians at various beer purveyors in and around New York City. The bottle seemed gimmicky, but I finally caved and bought one.

The smell was nice and spicy, a bit like a Brooklyn Local One, but the taste was much more sour. I wasn't really expecting this, and I'm not a huge fan of this flavor. However, it was nice to have something surprisingly different.

Ideally, I'd have just one smaller 330ml bottle (do they make this?), but I'll probably finish the whole bottle.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a sunshine yellow, bright golden color with a fluffy white head; volatile beer that produces a large head with a modest pour, moderate lacing on the way down. Some sediment floating around in this hazy, golden abyss of a beer.

The nose is really great; full of sweet esters and savory alcohol. Deep spices, clove and pepper come to mind. Fruity sweetness from the malts and bread-like yeast are also apparent. Smells very akin to a sweeter version of a tripel. Then again, what's the real difference between a tripel and a BSPA anyway?

First sip hits the mouth very crisp and tight, lots of carbonation. Warmth piles up from the alcohol, slightly medicinal in character. This is counterbalanced immediately by an abundance of sweet and fruity esters; bananas, bubblegum, cloves, pineapple, white pepper, apple skins - all noticeable on the palate.

Slight bitterness and floral tones make their way into the beer near the tail end, giving a nice balance to the sweetness. The finish leaves your mouth with a yeast flavor in the back, complete with a decrescendo of sweetness, spice, and mild bitterness that fade out perfectly. Medium body, almost on the thick side - heavy carbonation.

This is my favorite brew from the guys over at Huyghe. It's quite strong at 8.5% ABV and could easily sneak up on you, so take this one slow. You'll want to savor it, anyway. This is some very tasty stuff.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First time I met it was in a Belgian pub in Holland in a snifter at a good temperature.

Excellent design and unique logo.

Heaps of head. Intense sweet fruit flavour and sweet spices hitting you instantly. High carbonation very balanced with the yeast. Simply delicious and easy to drink for 8.5 % - became very jolly afterwards!

My favourite Belgian elephant!

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delirium Tremens 25.4 oz corked and caged. Belgian strong pale ale 8.5% alcohol, poured into ommegang oversized wine glass. Imported 3/2010.

A- Pours a beautiful crisp and clear yellow orange fluid that boast a one inch head that lingers the whole brew. Lacing is excellent with spider web links top to bottom.

S- Smell is of Belgian yeast, sweet grainy malts, mild alcohol esters, with hints of grassy hops.

T-M- Taste is a massive amount of grass, lemon, pear, and starfruit hoppyness. Maltiness is a light but appearent sweet prune and fig bite. Yeasty bite is what follows in a musty and chalky mouthfeel that creates a mild carbonation slipping down the tongue smoothly.

D- Dangerously drinkable with nothing less than a triple taste for a strong pale ale alcohol content to tell you differently.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

A great Belgian Trippel with a high alcohol content at about 8.5%. Exactly what one would expect from a traditional belgian ale, very spicy and unique yet full bodied and strong. Additionally, it comes in a very cool white ceramic bottle.. A great beer to start exploring belgian beers with!

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

As humorous as the name is, it does go against the BA ethic. It's not cool to make fun of alcoholism, especially a withdrawal symptom that can kill you. </> gets off high horse.

This beer has a great rep, so I am looking forward to trying. I purchased it at the new Jewel in the West Loop, Chicago.

A: Poured from a 1 pint 9.4 fl oz bottle in to a tulip glass, it gave a nice big fluffy two finger head. I had to be careful with the pour because the head rose so quickly. Color is dark straw and hazy. Fast moving pillars of carbonation rising to the surface. Head becomes craggy and creates instant lacing. Great head retention.

S: Has a nice yeasty, malty aroma. There is a freshness, like straw. There's some fruit, some candy sweetness and a tart citrus type kick. Pretty complex nose.

T: Malt front and fruit finish with a dry, crisp aftertaste. There is a hint of hop but only just enough to give it a little bitterness with the dry thirst quenching wheat-esque aftertaste. Complex stuff going on in the taste too. Some candy, honey, spices including coriander and cloves. Fruit comes across like pear to me. The alcohol doesn't stand out but after a couple of glasses, I started to feel the warmth. There is a lot going on but it is well balanced and not aggressive at all. The overall impact is a tanginess but not cloying. An enjoyable drink.

M: Nice smooth medium mouthfeel. Plenty of carbonation but gentle in the mouth.

D: This is a fine brew. I am not the biggest fan of the style but I can appreciate a good beer when I drink one. Not a session beer but nice to sip out of my tulip glass. I'd like to pair this with good food.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a chalice style glass.

A: Golden yellow, clear, with about 1/2" of white foamy head. Great head retention with tiny clinging bubbles lacing down the glass. Looks fantastic!

S: Spiced fruit smells with hints of malt and a very mild yeast on the nose.

T: Light malts perfectly matched with hops and spices; additional flavors of apricot and crisp apple or pear kissed with honey. Flavors run to the dry side. Clean finish with little linger. Very nice.

M&D: The body of this brew is relatively light and quite carbonated. The carbonation is abundant and persistent, with large bubbles reminiscent of soda pop. Despite the bubbles, it goes down quite smoothly. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Highly recommended!!

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Poured a straw color, very clear, lots of carbonation with a big creamy white head. Head died down as I drank but was there and left a lot coating the sides of the goblet.

S - The first smell that hit me out of the bottle was a sweet bubble gum aroma. As I poured this dissipated some and I caught some esters, alcohol, and sweet and sour aroma.

T - Crisp, dry, fruit flavors. The phenols hit me first to be replaced with estery...uhhh...undertones I guess I will say. The esters are definitely there but they are nice and light, not overwhelming or too sweet and fruity.

M - This is a dry beer, it attenuated well. Nice tingle from the carbonation, alcohol warm on the way down, and even a little creaminess from the head.

D - The light and crisp character lends itself to good drinkability even considering the high alcohol content. Can be sneaky for sure.

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

One of the best looking bottles in beerdom. The bottle color/design lets no light in whatsoever, practically assuring freshness. Wire cap holds a dated cork underneath (my bottle was dated 2004) and the whole shebang is wrapped up in foil.

The beer itself looks a lot like a whitbier. The head retains for quite a while, and in my snifter, it never disappeared, or even settled below 1/4 inch. Champagne-like bubbles constantly rising to the surface.

Scent reminds me much of a whitbier as well. Fruity, light, effervescent tones abound. Smells like it is going to be very refreshing.

Taste is a sheer delight. Delirium Tremens is every bit as refreshing as it appears and smells. Like a Belgian whitbier with extra kick and body. The typical Belgian yeasty flavors are kept to a minimum here, which is a plus for me. Pleasantly citrusy, but not overly sweet.

D.T. leaves your palate feeling very clean and reenergized. Good, moderate amount of carbonation.

If I'm having a Belgian beer, Delirium Tremens is pretty much the one for me. I prefer it to all the other big name Belgians and the American made Belgians as well.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Served in a tulip glass, this was a clear yellow, medium head, some lacing. Aroma was all light, sweet fruit. A nice fruit taste, balanced by the hops. It, however, had more substance to it than I thought, and it tasted better as it warmed. Very nice beer, one I would drink again, but on this night there were others waiting.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Darkish color 1"head, beautiful aroma, almost champagne like, sweet, carmelly, a little thick, yet nicely bubbly, full round exquisite taste. A real classic. My next mission, now that a neighbor several reviews ago mentioned that it was on tap on the east side, is to try what I assume will be the river of Eden. A classic!!

3.76/5  rDev -9%

This came to me with good sized (2") white head that stayed around for several minutes and dissipated down to a small frothy head and eventually just some lacing by the time I finished. It was a nice yellowy gold color. This had a nice light smell...nothing outstanding. The taste was slightly malty with some bitter flavors that I can't describe. There was a little fruit flavor as well. This was a very nice beer on-tap and I would certainly have it again.

3.04/5  rDev -26.4%

Just need to start by saying that my beerbud and I thought the Drafting Room was tapping us Delirium Nocturrnum, but after some questioning and emailing... that Blitheringidiot found out that they were given the incorrect keg!

The Tremens poured out a clear and light golden champagne like, tonsa bubbles shooting up the tulip glass. Little bit of creamy white head around the edge. Scents of champagne, the white grapes are very pronounced.

Strange thing here, I have always really liked Tremens, but the first thing I noticed in the warmed glass of ale was a taste similar to adult cough syrup... not the yummy flavored ones that you would sometimes take an extra swig of... more like nyquil or the ones you feel the need to do a chaser after. Dont know if it was just this batch, or this nights... but it left me very disappointed.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Patra for this wonderful birthday gift. This one bubbled up right out of the bottle as I opened it. It poured a nice golden blond color with an aggressive foamy white head. Little bits of yeast sediment were floating in the beer that was otherwise clear. The aroma has lovely notes of yeast, sweet fruits and spice. The flavor doesn't disappoint. Doughy yeast and malts mix with sweet fruits, pineapple and candy. The body is medium and the carbonation is lively. Overall it's very refreshing yet complex. Very good I must have more!

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

The beer has a cottencandy bubblegum aroma 3.0

The beer is golden with a nicewhit head 3.5

The taste is sweet and malty and has a pale malt flavor but it Is alittle to much candi sugar for me

Its light brew but too sweet for me and being that its the same price as an Allagash I don't think ill have againm anytime soon

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%

To be honest this is my second beer of this style ever so I don't have much to compare it to.

A: golden yellow, foamy white head that lasts forever. lots of floaty chunks.

S: apples and pears. don't really smell beer at all.

T: fruity. apples and pears at first. as it warms I get some bananas and then warmer yet some alcohol.

M: holy carbonation batman! super bubbly. reminds of the feel of champagne. as it warms up the alcohol feel is more present.

O: probably pretty good for the style. a lot different than the Imperial Stouts I drink and review most nights. I could see myself liking this though.

Bright yellowish hue, good lace effect that holds most of the way.

Sweet and phenolic aroma and flavour, peppery and fruity on a moderate body. Faint refined honey-like malt flavours mingle with the reserved yet concrete hop bitterness. Drying finish shows the alcoholic esters as well as some solvent higher alcohols that seem to leave as quick as they came in.

A deceiving treat, as it will catch up on you if you don’t watch out, deceiving alcohols come through the back.

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

11.2 oz bottle, capped not corked, with the most annoying foil wrapping in the industry. Pours into a goblet a clear honey gold with an enormous white pillowy head. Excellent retention and sheets of lacing. Nose is of overripe bananas. Mouthfeel has plenty of carbonation and seems a bit thin. Initial taste of lemony citrus, evolving into sweet malts. Hops come forth about midway, and a dry hop bitterness rules until the goblet empties. Slight alcohol burn is present to remind you of the high abv. There's a mustiness here, as well, as with so many Belgians. Clean aftertaste. Not my favorite Delirium, and its taste doesn't live up to its promising appearance. Still, a nice Belgian Pale Ale I wouldn't mind keeping around.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

on tap, pours a very light straw/amber color, a bit cloudy, white delicate head, leaving classic Belgian lacing. Sugary, yeasty, spicey nose. Notes of apricots, raisins, candi sugar, smoke. Complex and interesting stuff. Alcohol present, but fairly well in the background. Medium bodied. highly carbonated. I love this stuff, give it a try! my wife still refers to this stuff as "Rocket fuel" even after trying it many times.

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe