1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
View: Beers (66) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,768 | Reviews: 1,513 | Show All Ratings:
John

A superb Belgian strong golden ale. Great nightcap.

09-24-2001 13:28:42 | More by John
Morris729

Saved for my 200th Review.
I love the presentation of the big white ceramic looking 750ml bottles, the blue foil tops, and the pink elephants and dancing alligators. Pours a beautiful slightly hazy golden color with a tremendous rocky and foamy white head that billows out of the glass and lasts almost forever and coats the sides of the glass as it slowly dissipates. Nose is fruity and spicy with notes of fresh citrus, sweet malts, and pepper. Very nice! Very smooth and creamy mouth feel with a fine carbonation. Taste is lightly fruity with notes of citrus, sweet honey, and spicy hops. Finish is crisp and lightly sweet. This is one of my all-time favorites. Simply delicious.

02-01-2003 23:11:30 | More by Morris729
MarcGetty

My first glass of Delirium was at Isaac Newton's in Newtown, PA where they had a very colorful sign touting it as "the best beer in the world". The sign was not that far off!

Since my trip to Isaac Newton's I've gone over to Canal's a few times and had ~10 750 ml bottles myself. Each time is a new experience! Delirium tastes great, smells great, has a very interesting high carbonation level, and can make just about any meal.

The only drawbacks are the standard drawbacks of any strong Belgian Ale. You must drink it out of a glass, not from the bottle (duh!) and drinking it along with food is highly recommended.

"What is the deal with the Pink Elephants on the label?" is a common question I get. I tell folks that this beer is from Amsterdam and is spiked with LSD. While this is not true as far as I can tell, it makes a great story for beer luddites.

11-26-2004 15:00:51 | More by MarcGetty
jl8ltj

Wisconsin

This beer is one of my favorites it has an excellent body. It is light but has a definate kick to it. Plus, who can deny the little pink elephant. Definatly a better beer on tap then out of the bottle, but either way you drink it, Tremens is still delicious

02-02-2007 15:14:55 | More by jl8ltj
wizzle

Maryland

One of my all time favorites. Pours a deep golden color with a dense head and heaps of lace.

I get loads of clove, vanilla and cardamom aromas and deep layers of sweet, malty goodness.

All beers should smell this good. Intoxicating, alive, magical.
Great on a hot summer day or on a fall evening with a holiday meal.

07-13-2008 08:13:27 | More by wizzle
SpencerSauce

A beer that exceeded my expectations. Large caged and corked bottle. Cork popped off when i removed the cage, then a little foam started to pour out onto the ground. A little embarrasing. But whatever. Poured into a wine glass. I found nothing bad to say about this beer so i rated it perfect.

A- Heavy with sediment, maybe because my buddy kept hers on it side while she chilled it. Extremely bubbly. Bright golden with thick head when i poured it. Sediment was dancing around but you could not taste it.

S- banana right away, leaving maybe a vanilla taste. It was mildly spicy. AWSOME TASTE.

M-Light on the palate with a great taste. Banana creates its own mouthfeel.

D- this is very easy to drink, i want one right now and its 9:47 in the morning. IMO better than the nocturnom. Although completely diff styles.

04-14-2009 13:48:40 | More by SpencerSauce
PhunkyBeerGuy85

I bought this beer at my local liquor store in a large bottle. I popped the cork and was immediately greeted by the year 2008. lucky me, eh?

Appearance: Rich and hazy. a very dusty, orange/yellow. reminds me of fire in the light.

Smell: Citrus and floral notes immediately apparent. fragrant and hoppy with a ver smooth acohol aroma.

Taste: The same citrus and flowers. Uniquely hoppy, strangely sweet with a bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully carbonated. The alcohol is very present, but very tolerable. leaves your palate feeling very crisp.

Drinkability: one of the easiest belgian style strong pale ales i've ever had. smooth going down, pleasant lingering after-taste, and an overall great beer for any occasion.

I went against my better judgement and bought a big bottle of this beer. i usually have no one to share with, and i rarely will drink a big bottle in one sitting. all i can say about this beer is that i should've bought 2. an absolute must.

02-07-2010 01:42:15 | More by PhunkyBeerGuy85
bebbcorp

Kansas

Bottle is about 2.5 years old and the cork reads 2008. Upon popping of the cork a steady stream of foam comes oozing out of bottle and continues for several minutes until I finally pour the glass. Pour yeilds about 2.5 inches of white creamy head which recedes into a solid lacing sitting so nicely atop this golden yellow beer. Lots of white floaties and a steady stream of bubbles which are streaming from the nucleation point of my claret glass. Carbonation is ridiculous and the intense stream of bubbles have continued for almost five minutes always swirling about the floaters, almost like the beer is dancing for me. Very imppressive looking beverage. Aromas wafting up at me are sweet honey with something sour and malty in the background. Got a ever so slight wift of sweet alcohol. Taste is very light for the abv of the beer and carbonation is almost prickly but still creamy and smooth at the same time. Tasting honey, light use of hops, small bit of breadiness, and maybe almost a slight pear fruitiness followed imediately by a sour, dry, but somehow still wet and creamy finish. Not sure how they got prickly, creamy, wet, and dry all in there at once, but the beer is very complex but still simple at the same time. Very easy to drink and will definately be having again. A+

05-24-2010 00:57:25 | More by bebbcorp
OCBeerBaron

Delirium Tremens is my all-time favorite beer.

A- yellow goodness that's a bit cloudy

S- fresh citrus

T- smooth banana and citrus taste that finishes with a note.

M- pops with flavor and bubbles a bit

D- couldn't imagine a friday evening without it... tasty beer that has some serious strength.

11-01-2010 07:15:20 | More by OCBeerBaron
srbeezer

First I love the packaging. The beer itself is amazing. The three yeast strains used come together to create creamy, well balance mouth feel. It has an aroma of citrus and spice which is quite pleasant. The flavors and aroma synergy really make this an A++ beer for me.

11-24-2010 17:39:48 | More by srbeezer
mrferranto

Saw this beer on Three Sheets back a few years ago, and I finally got around to trying it two years ago. Flat out, may be the best beer I've ever had. I know it was voted that once, but I don't usually pay attention to things like that. It is a truly unique, especially from any macro-brew. It is clearly not for everyone, so take my review for what its worth. Words cannot describe this beer, it is one you have to try for yourself.

12-31-2010 04:34:45 | More by mrferranto
LuthersLager

Every group of guys has a beer geek. The guy who knows each of his pals palettes and tells them what to order at the taproom on Friday night. With my pals, I'm that guy.

I often get asked which beer is my favorite. My reply is always the same, I tell them that is an impossible question. Because the differences from a pilsner to a stout to a trippel are like the differences from a bowl of cereal, to filet mignon to dessert. I tell them the better question is: If I was stuck on a island for the rest of my life with one "beer" which would I choose. My answer has always been Delirium Tremens. Of course this answer would probably change if I ever get to stand at the doors of the Saint Sixtus monks and drink a Westvleteren 12. Delirium Tremens is so complex and delightful I taste something new every time I drink it, I don't believe I could ever get bored with this beer. Even if its the only one I had for the rest of my life.

P.S. this beer is noticeably better on tap than in a bottle. But it would change my answer to the stuck on the island question.

01-09-2011 22:23:50 | More by LuthersLager
adammacmillan

this beer comes in there own 11 oz Tulip Glass. when poured its a Nice golden color with a bit of a creamy fhead. it has a bit of a White wine and fruity taste to it.

Warning high Alcohol content but does not taste like it,

the only bad thing is it cost around 8 Dollars a beer in Chicago

04-16-2011 19:26:14 | More by adammacmillan
Eeroomnhoj

4.98/5  rDev +20.9%

This was a great beer. I have had this beer on several occasions but this one was the best. Maybe I had a bad batch before or maybe I can finally appreciate it. The beer was poured in a frosted mug and there was a half an inch of foam. I did taste a little bit of fruit in the beer but cannot pinpoint which one(s). Enjoyed the first sip as much as the last. I am looking forward to my next glass.

02-03-2013 00:29:03 | More by Eeroomnhoj
saintwarrick

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Had this brewery's Christmas brew before, but this is my first experience with the flagship brew. Pours a nice orangey gold, hazy with yeast, a solid head replenished by the bubbles at the bottom of the glass. Smell is stunning and overwhelming (in a good way): strawberries, grapes and that spicy yeast. Taste is almost as good with those same fruits mixed with a champagne-like flavor, with a faint little peppery kick at the end.

A great tasting brew, one of the best I've had just on flavor alone. A sipping brew, but definitely one I'll enjoy quite a few more times.

06-20-2007 07:04:58 | More by saintwarrick
zee3are0

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

On top at Delirium Cafe, Brussels, BE.

A - Like a typical tripel, almost indistinguishable visually from many mass-produced pilsners. However, the first glance appearance is where all similarities end. Head is strong as opposed to a light foam more typical of Low country beers. Beautiful light-gold.

S - Like pure happiness. Hard to isolate it when you're in the basement room of Delirium Cafe and inundated with cigarette smoke, the pallette of 2400 other beers around you and your loud and happy friends.

T - Where the money is made. Tastes of beer in its purest form, not overtly sweet or spiced like most wheatbeers, nor is it bitter and watery like an atypical pilsner. It doesn't dominate the pallette like a stout or strong lager, and in spite of 8.5% ABV, it's not strong in alcoholic taste. Rather, it is a perfect combination of all of the subtle nuances of hops and yeast without assaulting your taste. When bottled, it seems to gain a hint of alcohol taste that is noticably missing (thankfully) when on tap.

M - Doesn't require effort to enjoy. Effervescent, but not outrageous.

D - Perfect. I can't imagine a perfect day of drinking beer and not thinking of my numerous trips to Belgium. I'd plan entire trips to Europe just to enjoy this at the source. It's a life-changing experience. I highly doubt I'll ever rate another beer in my life as highly.

08-03-2009 22:13:57 | More by zee3are0
Vaison

Delaware

11.2 oz bottle into a goblet

Cloudy golden in color with a huge 3 finger head, which I had to sip from the top to prevent overflow due to my bad pour. It has a very sweet malt and fruit scent which leans toward plantains. It has a spicy pepper, yet sweet citrus taste with a generous amount of yeast present. It is incredibly smooth, refreshing and could be an everyday beer for me. I allow my wife to take a sip from each of my beers and this is one of the few in which she gave a nod of approval.

08-29-2010 20:45:41 | More by Vaison
baxterbrew

Tennessee

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

This poured from the faux stone bottle with the pink elephants with a TON of head. It almost looks like detergent on top of the golden ale. The retention was good, very frothy and lacy on the sides of the glass. The smell is fruity, with a zesty lemony tone. Slightly cloudy in appearance, not chill haze because I poured at room temp. The taste is also fruity with a heavy dose of alcohol. It has the slight burn of a wine going down. Very full tasting and heavy mouthfeel. It's a bit misleading, the color leads me to think pilsner and then it wallops with a heavy fullness. I really like this beer but I wouldn't want to drink a few without planning for a place to stay.

04-26-2007 20:27:51 | More by baxterbrew
Moe55

Iowa

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

Best beer ever. Had this beer on tap at a local bar in Nebraska.

A: Big head with great lacing. Need I say more?

S: Fruity with hints of banana and other fruit.

T: Smooth, complex, with hints of banana and pineapple.

M: Mild carbonation with a smooth finish.

D: Outstanding. Had this in a pint size glass and was feeling it by the end. Trouble because I cant taste the alcohol and could drink this any day and in for any season.

03-24-2010 00:55:00 | More by Moe55
catrone

Italy

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

Pale gold with a medium head that disappeared rather quickly after puring into a glass.
Some sediment was floating and became "trapped" into the head as it floated upwards.

The smell is mainly of fruit (apple), quite sugary, similar to sweet cider.

The taste is according to the smell, sweet and fruity, though the final is dry and set your mouth ready for the next sip.

It's very drinkable despite the quite high ABV.

Definitely one of the best beer ever.

01-09-2011 08:39:45 | More by catrone
RBorsato

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

Golden with lots of sediment after movement.. nice creamy off-white head with excellent carbonation and lace. Spicy Belgian yeast and spicy hop aromas with light fruitiness, cloves, and coriander. Tastes much like it smells and hides alcohol content well. Medium bodied but seems a bit lighter due to carbonation levels.

Note: #1 in Stuart Kallen's "The 50 Greatest Beers in the World" ... times have changed but not far off !!!

Per label: Since 1654

2.003 on cork
Tasted: 04/11/05

($7.19 / 750 ml / 25.4 oz corked and caged white "ceramic" champagne style bottle with bright royal blue foil)

04-15-2005 15:30:29 | More by RBorsato
Chodite

Maryland

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

My first beer review, so please excuse my lack of terminology and overall knowledge.

Had this beer for the first time on tap at Max's in Baltimore (Maxs.com) in a Delirium Tremens snifter *?* glass. I've tried close to 100 beers and this was the best of the best. I felt like I found a pot of gold.

Poured a solid gold color, slightly above average head.

Smelled delicious. Strong fruits and just overall pleasant.

First sip was memorable. Just amazing. No real taste of alcohol, but a full body with hints of fruit (banana??). Went down smooth as can be.

At the time, I didn't realize these were 9% ABV so I had a 2nd (after a Victory's Golden Monkey tripel and a Chimay tripel. YIKES.

So good that I bought the Delirium Tremens glass from the bar.

Unfortunately, not 1/2 as good in a bottle as on tap. If you are trying this beer for the first time, please try to find somewhere that serves it as it should be served. Cheers.

06-26-2007 21:55:24 | More by Chodite
baddy579

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

simply, a great beer, very much worth the 10 bucks for a 750mL.

i bought this beer along with some other Belgian beers-Westmalle Triple Trappist and Orval Trappist Ale. i have to say that it was the best one of the three.

A> color was a hazy golden with some of the malt floating about.pale for what the taste offers, never the less a good looking beer. as i poured the head covered about 2 finger's length on the glass...perfect

S>the smell was almost sweet, but bit bitter...like smelling citrus fruit and hint of banana with good balance

T>undeniably the best part and served very cold...as it fills your moth no taste bud is left out..it tasted as it smelled yet on a more bitter side. the alcohol level at first is not noticeable but as the sweetness of it fades the alcohol becomes present. and as you take the next sip combining it with the smell, the experience becomes even better. as i let my last glass warm up some, the alcohol had the same non-intense taste and feel and the taste and smell became more present..a big thumbs up in my book

D>the beer is very drinkable, as i mentioned, alcohol is not very present and taste is also very well balanced and not extreme at all for a Belgian beer. honestly, this beer would go well with a light meal...i would know, had half the 750 bottle with steamed fish touched with lemon.

02-17-2009 22:36:33 | More by baddy579
mralphabet

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

Got on tap at the The Flying Saucer in Charlotte NC on my birthday (Free !!! for the Birthday Boy) served in the delirium tulip.

A: Clear and golden little bit of white head. Nice carbonation and wonderful lacing....

S: Wow lots of sweet summer fruits going on orange, apples pear, grapes and a hint of spicy Belgian yeast and colindar. Wonderful...

T: Wow again everything in the smell is here.... Dead on Belgian beer.... Alcohol is well hidden here... Complex flavors but basic and perfect.

M: Med to light bodied, perfect carbonation for the style, crisp and very refreshing.

D: The only way I can describe it is Champagne of Beers.... it is like champagne but in beer form.... everything about it is great... one of the best beers I've had (and not because it was free). It is a very solid Belgian beer staple. A must have !!!

08-27-2009 03:46:54 | More by mralphabet
Aiptasia

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

This is my second sampling under the Delirium family. Absolutely stunning. I'm so impressed by this series of Belgians that I want to drink them all.

Serving: 22 oz. bomber into a glass ball jar beer stein.

A: Pours a crystal golden amber waves of Belgium blond into a glass mug. Full three finger head on the pour clings to the sides like Dutch lace on crack. Ten minutes and three gulps in, the beer still has a 1" halo around the perimeter and 1/4" high milky way lacing.

S: Smacks of biscuity lime and lemon zest combined with grassy florals and a fresh garden after a rainstorm.

T: Delicious. Super balanced alcohol esters and pleasant hops even out the sweetness of the malts. Not over-sweet, an absolutely magic equilibrium. Alcohol cleanliness is present on the frontend with the middle tasting of golden delicious apple, citrus, plum and apricots. Finishes with a slight bite of hops to finish dry.

M: Medium bodied and refreshing. Carbonation is slight and the drinking is very easy.

D: It's so tasty with dry fruit notes that you don't taste the alcohol. Much caution needs to be given to this brew as it's strong on the alcohol side. I could drink this beer every night.

02-14-2011 01:23:48 | More by Aiptasia