Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
ak14

11-08-2012 01:07:18 | More by ak14
Photo of

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

02-27-2013 02:51:15 | More by

France

1.25/5  rDev -69.7%

Just disgusting.

It tastes like rubber..

Very simillar to Goudale but even stronger (in the same bad way). I really like sweet beers but those ones. I think it's awfull.

The apparence is weak and the carbonnation is decent.

I didn't succeed to drink 1/3 of the bottle.

Even if this bottle is beautiful, the content is not that amazing.

11-25-2011 18:10:24 | More by PopScene

05-18-2013 21:18:08 | More by Photekut
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

1.78/5  rDev -56.8%

Got this one from Ludachris from his trip to Nova Scotia. I double checked the label, and it's not due to go bad until Nov 2011, because I'm not going to lie this beer is getting slammed from this experience.

Appearance: Well, this beer has head that both laces and retains like crazy. This of course must lead to why I'm giving it such a low score. The amount of sediment and particles in this beer is outright revolting. The are dark brown particles in the head, and there are pieces; yes pieces of what looks to be dissolved bread in the beer itself. It's so bad, it's hard to even notice the out of control carbonation. Seriously, this would be a 1, if the head wasn't so impressive and even then, I'm half tempted to anyways. If the bottle itself wasn't wrapped in foil, I'd suspect some form of product tampering.

Smell: It does smell somewhat fruity, with a mainly sour apple scent to it and a dusting of hops and a bit of an acidic odor. It's ok I guess, and it's pretty strong but it just doesn't quite sit right.

Taste: Awful stuff, it tastes like bad champagne, made with barely and apples instead of grapes. No hop presence, no transition of flavors and you can definitely tell it has a LOT of alcohol content. I'm being generous on this one though, because I'm assuming something went wrong when they made this.

Mouthfeel: Way too much carbonation, way too much of an acidic presence. The head tastes sandy and the body has the consistency of drinking watered down oatmeal, with all the sediment floating in it. No redeeming qualities here, whatsoever.

Drinkability: You know what, my brain knows better then to drink this past the 1/8 mark, which was pushing it as is. I'm half tempted to strain it though a coffee filter. Revolting to the taste and seems to be souring in my stomach. This is the fastest I have ever drain poured a beer.

Final Thoughts: One time when I was younger, I left a bowl of corn pops at the table during the day, and didn't get back to it until some eight hours later. Needless to say, my parents were less then impressed, but the remains of those over saturated corn pops are what the particles in this beer remind me of, only that they are a bit smaller.

I truly do hope that this was a bad bottle, because this was seriously a joke. Ludachris, if you are reading this, I'm going to take a picture of the beer, just to show you what I mean. I've never had a beer, so highly rated on BA perform so poorly.

06-23-2009 05:33:59 | More by TheHammer
IrishRedRock

1.8/5  rDev -56.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Well, I didnt like it. The alcohol hits very hard in the taste and smell, but there was also a sweetness which I didnt think fit. If you can stand this stuff, more power to ya. I wont be buying any of this in the near future.

06-24-2002 14:19:40 | More by IrishRedRock
hopshead411

1.8/5  rDev -56.3%

When I poured this beer i was shocked at its dreadful appearance. It looked like carbonated pond water. I thought perhaps they were going for something unique, however one taste told me otherwise. How could a beer that had won so much acclaim taste like moldy wet cardboard??? I have huge respect for the reviewers here on BeerAdvocate so I started reading the best and worst reviews. The best describe an amazing, clear, drinkable beer, and the worst describe exactly what I experienced. I am sure both reviews are correct, and no one is hyping or slandering. My concern is that a high gravity beer should have a good long shelf life, and this bottle was less than three, which points to a quality control problem. It may be unfair, but it is true a measure of a good beer is consistency. I will try Delerium again, but only if someone else pays for it.

If anyone is interested in reading my full review it is at http://www.hopsheads.com/wordpress/?p=185 (this is not a commercial site, just my tasting notes for fun)

04-11-2012 15:31:42 | More by hopshead411
Atch

Wisconsin

1.98/5  rDev -51.9%

Poured into tulip, 11.2 oz bottle

Appearance: very murky orange, descent carbonation, unimpressive head.

Smell: I can't make out much; sour apples?

Taste: This has to be a bad bottle

Mouthfeel: very coarse, not heavy just rough.

Drinkability: My beer is usually finished before the review. I've only had 4 sips of this one.

Overall, I'll have to try this one again from a different store. I poured it like I was pouring a Duvel, and there were abnormal amounts of residue coming out of the bottle, even 1/3 into my pour chunks were coming out. I realize there is a little sediment sometimes, but I've never seen this much. Down the drain with you.

03-07-2007 23:59:03 | More by Atch

02-06-2012 23:45:55 | More by ZinFanDave
GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Alaska

2.08/5  rDev -49.5%

Preface to this review: This is my first authentic Belgian ale. I've had other American made versions, which have created an interest for me.
After i opened the bottle, thin white foam started coming out. I KNOW that this isn't shook up, so what is going on? Beer is obviously hoghly carbonated, as it produced a very large head, thin and bubble, on a gentle pour. The beer is a very pale yellow color.
Taste: What in the hell is this shit?! it has the mouthfeel of champagne, and a similar taste. It's like drinking Cold Duck. The only flavors i'm getting are metal, wheat, and grain alcohol. If i hadn't paid $3.50, i would have probably poured this insipid crap down the drain.
I see that this beer is somewhat highly acclaimedby other BAs. Did I get a bad bottle, or what? I don't know. But i'm in no hurry to buy another to find out.

04-15-2004 16:23:22 | More by GIVEMEBACKMYSON