Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,590 | Hads: 5,156
1.3/5  rDev -68%

Just disgusting.

It tastes like rubber..

Very simillar to Goudale but even stronger (in the same bad way). I really like sweet beers but those ones. I think it's awfull.

The apparence is weak and the carbonnation is decent.

I didn't succeed to drink 1/3 of the bottle.

Even if this bottle is beautiful, the content is not that amazing. (343 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -55.9%

Got this one from Ludachris from his trip to Nova Scotia. I double checked the label, and it's not due to go bad until Nov 2011, because I'm not going to lie this beer is getting slammed from this experience.

Appearance: Well, this beer has head that both laces and retains like crazy. This of course must lead to why I'm giving it such a low score. The amount of sediment and particles in this beer is outright revolting. The are dark brown particles in the head, and there are pieces; yes pieces of what looks to be dissolved bread in the beer itself. It's so bad, it's hard to even notice the out of control carbonation. Seriously, this would be a 1, if the head wasn't so impressive and even then, I'm half tempted to anyways. If the bottle itself wasn't wrapped in foil, I'd suspect some form of product tampering.

Smell: It does smell somewhat fruity, with a mainly sour apple scent to it and a dusting of hops and a bit of an acidic odor. It's ok I guess, and it's pretty strong but it just doesn't quite sit right.

Taste: Awful stuff, it tastes like bad champagne, made with barely and apples instead of grapes. No hop presence, no transition of flavors and you can definitely tell it has a LOT of alcohol content. I'm being generous on this one though, because I'm assuming something went wrong when they made this.

Mouthfeel: Way too much carbonation, way too much of an acidic presence. The head tastes sandy and the body has the consistency of drinking watered down oatmeal, with all the sediment floating in it. No redeeming qualities here, whatsoever.

Drinkability: You know what, my brain knows better then to drink this past the 1/8 mark, which was pushing it as is. I'm half tempted to strain it though a coffee filter. Revolting to the taste and seems to be souring in my stomach. This is the fastest I have ever drain poured a beer.

Final Thoughts: One time when I was younger, I left a bowl of corn pops at the table during the day, and didn't get back to it until some eight hours later. Needless to say, my parents were less then impressed, but the remains of those over saturated corn pops are what the particles in this beer remind me of, only that they are a bit smaller.

I truly do hope that this was a bad bottle, because this was seriously a joke. Ludachris, if you are reading this, I'm going to take a picture of the beer, just to show you what I mean. I've never had a beer, so highly rated on BA perform so poorly. (2,454 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Well, I didnt like it. The alcohol hits very hard in the taste and smell, but there was also a sweetness which I didnt think fit. If you can stand this stuff, more power to ya. I wont be buying any of this in the near future. (225 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -52.7%

When I poured this beer i was shocked at its dreadful appearance. It looked like carbonated pond water. I thought perhaps they were going for something unique, however one taste told me otherwise. How could a beer that had won so much acclaim taste like moldy wet cardboard??? I have huge respect for the reviewers here on BeerAdvocate so I started reading the best and worst reviews. The best describe an amazing, clear, drinkable beer, and the worst describe exactly what I experienced. I am sure both reviews are correct, and no one is hyping or slandering. My concern is that a high gravity beer should have a good long shelf life, and this bottle was less than three, which points to a quality control problem. It may be unfair, but it is true a measure of a good beer is consistency. I will try Delerium again, but only if someone else pays for it.

If anyone is interested in reading my full review it is at http://www.hopsheads.com/wordpress/?p=185 (this is not a commercial site, just my tasting notes for fun) (1,020 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -50.5%

Poured into tulip, 11.2 oz bottle

Appearance: very murky orange, descent carbonation, unimpressive head.

Smell: I can't make out much; sour apples?

Taste: This has to be a bad bottle

Mouthfeel: very coarse, not heavy just rough.

Drinkability: My beer is usually finished before the review. I've only had 4 sips of this one.

Overall, I'll have to try this one again from a different store. I poured it like I was pouring a Duvel, and there were abnormal amounts of residue coming out of the bottle, even 1/3 into my pour chunks were coming out. I realize there is a little sediment sometimes, but I've never seen this much. Down the drain with you. (665 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -48.8%

Pours a pale cloudy yellow. It's a very heady beer with an explosive head that finally recedes and hold at about 2". Lot's of carbonation continues to bubble and stir up the large amount of yeast that made it into my snifter with a careless pour. The yeast looks like chunks of grapefruit or orange peel in my glass. I'm not real impressed with the appearance.
Smells musty and medicinal.
Taste is very similar to a witbier in my opinion. Lot's of yeasty flavors. Citrus sharp lemon lime flavor.
Mouthfeel is very carbonated and I can feel the yeast in my mouth, but that is my fault.
I hate to admit this one was a drain pour. I'd choose the Nocturnam or Noel over this one for the Delirium beers, (702 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -48.3%

Preface to this review: This is my first authentic Belgian ale. I've had other American made versions, which have created an interest for me.
After i opened the bottle, thin white foam started coming out. I KNOW that this isn't shook up, so what is going on? Beer is obviously hoghly carbonated, as it produced a very large head, thin and bubble, on a gentle pour. The beer is a very pale yellow color.
Taste: What in the hell is this shit?! it has the mouthfeel of champagne, and a similar taste. It's like drinking Cold Duck. The only flavors i'm getting are metal, wheat, and grain alcohol. If i hadn't paid $3.50, i would have probably poured this insipid crap down the drain.
I see that this beer is somewhat highly acclaimedby other BAs. Did I get a bad bottle, or what? I don't know. But i'm in no hurry to buy another to find out. (843 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -45.1%

The waitress recommended this at dinner last night. For that alone I should have reduced her tip, but she meant well.

The appearance is unfortunately the color of urine! Head falls flat quickly, no lacing. Flavour is a mash up of bannana/grapefruit/spice that misses the mark all around. But somebody's bound to like it! (321 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -44.8%

I had high expectations for this beer, having heard good things about it. I was underimpressed. I gave it high marks for clarity. Too much head. No matter how I poured it (at 40 degrees into a room temp glass) I ended up with 80% foam. The head was beautiful though, white and lacey. I detected zero hop aroma and very very little hop bitterness. No alcohol flavor either. The sweet, slightly burnt malt and sugar profile came through strongly. Lots of candi sugar I guess. (473 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -43.6%

Maybe I missed something with this one, as it is rated so highly by other BA's. I poured this into a glass so I could see what I was getting into. It poured beautifully enough and had a good head which seemed to linger, and linger, and linger. The smell was OK but I didn't find it all that pleasing, which should have been a warning sign. I guess the taste really threw me off. I didn't like it at all. Maybe I have a terrible palate, but all I got from it was metal, maybe some slight spiciness, grains and did I mention METAL. This is not one I plan on buying again. Maybe I'm missing the appeal, but the Belgians should stick to Lambics (640 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

750ml, 2010 vintage.

Pours a clear, pale golden yellowish orange color with golden straw colored hues and a frothy, pillowy 2.5 finger white head that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Visible carbonation bubbling up and chunks of soapy lacing left behind.

Slightly earthy aroma with hints of grass and straw along with some grassy hops, pale malt, crisp light fruit and zesty spice. There's a pretty strong yeast presence with hints of bread, sweet alcohol and estery light fruit notes. Hints of apple and pear as well as that odd belgo bubblegum character. Slight peppery spice note in the nose.

Medium bodied with lots of harsh tight carbonation and strong alcohol flavor which hurts the mouthfeel. Lots of zesty spice with hints of pepper and coriander dominate the front end and linger over the earthy hop notes, pale malt and sweet boozy heat into a dry finish. The alcohol is much stronger in this beer than I remember. Really hot for it's ABV with warmth in the finish. This takes away from the pleasant light fruit notes and earthy, grassy notes. Underneath the spice and alcohol there are hints of apple, pear, banana and bubblegum. I used to really like this beer but now find it astringent and one dimensional. I'll have to revisit in another few years. (1,300 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured a fine yellow with much residue & with a moderate white head.
Smell was sweet with a hint of cloves
The taste was overwhelmingly of cloves with a bit of sweetness..."YUCK"
Aftertaste not so pleasant and long lasting.
Ok ...so this is my first beer with cloves but I just didn't like it & my son Nathan found it foul.
Cost $3.99 for a 11.2 oz bottle

Maybe this is good beer but the cloves are a taste I just freaking hate. (437 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pretty disapointed. I expect a Belgian Strong to have penty of sweetness and yeast flavors. It should be very complex.
Basically felt like was drinking a Shock Top. Minimal depth of flavor. Strong cooreander (which I hate). Little hoppines.
Color was hazy straw.
No reason to go out of your way to get this. (309 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -39.4%

I poured this expensive overpriced wash into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer had a great pile of a head and was very nice. Smell was bready and I thought this might be great blond ale. Taste was terrible though, it was a bit spicey but had a sour taste that just was not good to me. Now if you like a belgian ale you should try it I guess, but for me I will not buy again. (375 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I was disappointed in this one. 2014 bomber poured into Duvel glass. Pears, apples and citris with a little funk on the nose. Bright straw color with sharp carbonation typical of a Belgian style beer. It bites the tip of the tongue nice for a refreshing rush and crisp mouth feel. The finish however, made me feel like I just ate a bowl of applesauce. I hate applesauce. (370 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -38.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a golden-orange color with a light airy head that turns to a film very fast. There's a ton of floaters in the beer... presumably yeast debris. Excessive.

Smell: Light aroma, fruits and some spices. The smell of alcohol is also present.

Taste: The flavors seems to be obscured by the overactive carbonation. All I really get are some light spicy/fruity flavors and a bunch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat excessive carbonation as mentioned above. Light-bodied and generally smooth, but has some alcohol sting.

Drinkability: The alcohol in the taste makes this difficult. As does the general lack of taste.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but this Belgian ale I really do not enjoy! Too much alcohol flavor (I've had plenty of beers with 9%+ alcohol that have that flavor well-masked), unappetizing appearance, and generally mediocre flavor. I'll pass in the future! (936 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -36.9%

Hmmm.. coolest thing about this beer is the bottle. I'm not the biggest Belgian fan, so my reviews of them aren't as high as other peoples. This beer actually tastes very similar to most of the other Belgians that I've had, with the exception of Chimay Blue, which is my favorite.

Lots of floaters in this thing. Clear golden with a sweet aroma.

Tastes pretty much like it smells except its much too carbonated for me to enjoy. I don't really care for it.

This is probably a good example of the style but again I don't care much for Belgians. I want to try as much as I can though and I'm glad I got to try this one. Just not for me. (636 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

A - Pours a very murky gold with a two finger white head. Left a decent amount of lacing.

S - Smells like mustard up front, a lot of pepper and clove, along with wheat. Definitely weird.

T - Once again, mustard up front, followed by some pepper and hay. Finished with some bubblegum.

M - Medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, this is the weirdest beer I have ever had. I'm giving it a solid three because I'm simply not sure what to think about it. (465 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34%

Mild aroma similar to a Hefe Weizen I recently had. It has a light yellow orange color with a short head that disappears quickly. It tasted a little sweet/sour to me. Not a bad taste, but I also think my taste buds were a little off from a recent dinner. It gave me a bit of an initial tingly feeling on the roof of my mouth that lasted a fair length of time. (359 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

The pour was pale and had quite a head as I expected. The smell was so complex, I didn't know how to describe it. One thing I know is that it did not prepare me for the taste. The taste was very strongly yeasty and that did not sit well with me. There were also clove and fruity hops present, but the yeastiness dominated. That immediately prevented me from enjoying this beer. I do not like yeasty beers, so I can't say anything good about this one. If you don't like a dominating yeasty flavour either, then don't even try this one. If you do, I guess you can give it a try. It was a bit sour, even. Very much not my thing. (625 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.3%

Delerium Tremens poured a cloudy gold/yellow color with a nice head. The aroma was strong and yeasty (mostly cloves). The taste was bitter and very sour. It was really hoppy and citrusy (mostly grapefruit) with malt way in the background. As it warmed the malt became a bit more pronounced and some sweetness started coming into play, but not enough for me. The finish was dry and citrusy. I'm sure there was a lot going on here but it was not to my tastes. (457 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33%

Appearance: Mildly cloudy, pale yellow color. It looks a bit like a cloudy Budweiser or something. The head is about 2 fingers worth and dissipates quickly with little lacing.
Nose: The familiar Belgian style smell, but it's nothing impressive. A little fruity - I get white grapes.
Taste: I get that grape taste, with some red apple in there as well. The taste hits you right off the bat, then fades almost as quickly as it arrives. There's a faint hint at Belgian goodness, but does not have any lasting power.
Mouthfeel: It's very thin. It feels a bit watery. There carbonation doesn't jump out at all. It's present, but doesn't play a role one way or the other.
Drinkability: Great I suppose. There's no overpowering flavor to wear out the palette and the 8.5 ABV doesn't make itself known much at all.
Overall: Belgians make mediocre beer too. There is nothing special about this. There wasn't one part of this beer I was impressed with. Though you could probably get into some trouble because you can slam it back pretty easily. I imagine this is what Belgian college kids play Beirut with. Sweet bottle though. (1,121 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Poached cinnamon pears, dark and musty cider, a string herbal/medicinal note as well as floral perfume.

Taste: Limited drinkability, but very distinctive. Yeasty, medicinal cinnamon/nutmeg, dry. Almost rotten pear and plenty of stale cinnamon and mineral notes. Unique, but not to my liking too much. Also, pretty darn bitter, especially for a belgian. Finish is fairly dry, ripe pear, not quite as spicy and a little butterscotch.

Notes: I didn't have it with food, but I think this would go much better with food. (547 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

Had this beer on tap at the Squealing Pig in Providencetown, MA. Served in a Belgian beer snifter, cool.

A-gold-blonde body and a creamy white head

S-yeast and clove smell.

T-yeast and clove flavor, some veggie, some spice and alcohol.

M-light, well carbonated

D-little off tasting with the veggie flavor but otherwise okay. I might pass on this next time. (361 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

Normal bud light/ miller lite color. head vanishes with the quickness. Smell was sweet/rubbing alcohol type smells. Taste was alright. Oily, butttery. More like wine flavors. Mouthfeel was creamy frothy smooth going down. Keeps my mouth wet. drinkability was alright, i liked it but nothing special. I would drink it again maybe. (329 characters)

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe