Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
3.12/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

On tap at Oasis in Rockford, IL.

I don't really get what the hype is with this beer. Sure, it tastes like a typical belgian, if you can get around the massive alcohol taste. It's so uninhibited, that I'd even go so far as to say that I've had 15% ABV brews that are smoother than this. It's cloying, distracting, and out of place. The mouthfeel is too syrupy and thick, and it allows the alcohol to cling to your taste buds and distract you from further sips. If you want a pretty or fragrant beer, you could do worse, but in taste, I can't recommend.

2.4/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pretty disapointed. I expect a Belgian Strong to have penty of sweetness and yeast flavors. It should be very complex.
Basically felt like was drinking a Shock Top. Minimal depth of flavor. Strong cooreander (which I hate). Little hoppines.
Color was hazy straw.
No reason to go out of your way to get this.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap in a Delirium Tremens cervoise at Brasserie Beck (Washington, DC). Reviewed from notes.

A: Slightly hazy golden with short cap of bright white head with decent retention and a thin rim of lacing.

S: A more herbal, earthy hops note with moderately grainy pilsner malt sweetness and relatively hefty dose of sweet alcohol. Yeast esters of pear and apple are in there too.

T: The flavor is also more herbal hops dominated than most other BSPAs. The alcohol note is sweet and strong, a little too up front for my tastes. There are luscious fruity pear, grape, bubblegum, and apple esters, mostly apple and grape, which work pretty well with the sweetish pilsner maltiness. There is a light bitter edge, but the beer is fairly well-balanced. THis is just a little too heavy on alcohol bite for me.

M: Appropriately light in body with spritzy carbonation, right on for style.

O: Give me Duvel every day of the week but there's nothing dreadfully wrong with this beer -- it's just a bit too heavy-handed with alcohol presence for me.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A tremendous beer. I picked up a bottle at my local liquor store (Freeman's Liquor Mart in OKC) after Delirium finally came to Oklahoma. Served at 45F in a pint glass.

A- Golden with some haze. Large, foamy head gives way, only after a bit of coaxing to great sticky lacing. A ring of head remains throughout the pint.

S- Perhaps the strongest point of this beer is the smell. When cold, I get pear and apple smell. As it is allowed to warm I can detect just a bit of funk. Really balanced.

T- Really nice balance between malt and hops. Malt gives way pretty quickly to hops, but not overpowering bitterness. Did I mention this beer is really balanced between malt and hops?Absolutely no alcohol burn. Really, really good beer. Maybe my ONLY gripe is that I wish a bit of the funkiness was a bit more pronounced, but that's a personal preference and I'm not faulting the beer for that.

M- A bit heavier than I was expecting, but it works really well with the carbonation of the increased carbonation. I'm glad this beer isn't thin or else I may drink way too many.
O- My first time with Delirium is an absolute treat. This will not be my last time. The beer is about as meticulous and balanced (there's that word again) as you'll find in a Belgian--no less one that is 8.5%.

I have a tough time finding fault with this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

24 oz bottle

A - golden brown pour

S - Caramel and fruity notes

T - The same as the smell, fruity with some caramel. Absolutely delicious

M - Thick and smooth

Overall - This is one of my favorite beers. Recommended to anyone who loves Belgian beer.

3.5/5  rDev -15%