Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,600 | Hads: 5,186
3.33/5  rDev -18%

Poured from an 11.2oz faux-ceramic glass bottle. Color was a hazy dark yellow. Large persistent white head - like whipped eggwhites - and large central column of carbonation rising to the head.
Smell was spicy, peppery with some citrus with an astringent alcohol aroma lurking underneath.
Taste: very faint malty taste quickly overwhelmed by a citrusy, pepper taste. Bitterness and rather too-strong alcohol flavor comes through at the finish.
Feel: carbonation gives this beer a creamy, velvety texture once it settles down on the tongue.
Drinkability: just a bit better than average. Overall, not too bad but a bit off due to the ill-concealed alcohol content. I can find others of this style I'd rather have. (715 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer pours a hazy yellow color with a moderate head and some lacing on the glass. The aroma was similar to the Delirium Noel but with not as much spice. Bartender tapped it into a really cool Delirium tremens goblet that had the pink elephants on it. The flavor was a little strong at first, but I got used to it after a few drinks (maybe the alcohol numbed my tastebuds). I really didn't care much for the flavor because the spicyness was too strong and the wheat/yeast flavor was too prominent. (501 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

11.2oz bottle

A bit too tangy for me.

Pours a dusty gold. Medium head with little lacing. The scents are very citrus and hops. A big wheat and yeast smell as well. Heavy alcohol on the nose as well.

The flavors are heavy citrus, hops and some bread. There is grain and grass as well. There is a heavy alcohol flavor. Too much for me. Carbonation is present in the flavors as well. The malts are weak for this brew. The hops get all the attention. It is not hoppy like an IPA though. Very Belgian in its style.

It has a nice crisp feel to it but because of the wheatiness of the brew it builds in the mouth. An unpleasant overwhelming mouthfeel. (657 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The bottle is really something extra, it's coated in plastic trying to resemble a ceramic container. The label has pink elefants and brightly coloured crocodiles and dragons on it. To top it all off the top is covered in blue foil.

This brew pours golden clear. It's got a decent head which stick around for a while but it aint as frothy as you'd expect.

Not much of an interesting smell, a bit yeast, a bit fruit...reminds me alot of Duvel...

The taste is so so imho. Sweet and hoppy together with alcohol essenses...the finish is also a bit bitter and hoppy. The taste ain't bad but it aint great either.

Overall I have to say this is a medium good beer, it's not bad but I'd definately choose a number of other brews ahead of this one. That's why I'll go against the stream and will not give it a superrating. My 0.02$. (834 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

330ML bottle, dancing alligators and elephants..

Pours out a murky golden brown. Smell is yeasty, with some malt overtones and spiciness. Taste is smooth, a little spice (maybe allspice) in there with the fruity malt characterand the alcohol backbone. Nice solid tasty offering. Will drink this again without hesitation.. (324 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a huge blooming head,the aroma is a little spicey and fruity.The taste was definently yeasty and spicey with some juicy fruit notes as well.This beer has some very yeasty flavors to it the alcohol creeps up on ya after it sits awhile.Pretty good Belgian pale but thought it might be a little better. (333 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

Darkish color 1"head, beautiful aroma, almost champagne like, sweet, carmelly, a little thick, yet nicely bubbly, full round exquisite taste. A real classic. My next mission, now that a neighbor several reviews ago mentioned that it was on tap on the east side, is to try what I assume will be the river of Eden. A classic!! (324 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Light gold color, large white foamy head. Yeast and Vanilla in the aroma. Sweet and fruity. Flavor of apples, vanilla, coriander, clove and orange. Not much of a hop taste. Alcohol is prevalent. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and a little dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Interesting, but kind if average.. (323 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

I have stolen away from the pachyderm to sample what may be in this grey bottle with fine blue foil wrapping. A fragile procedure must ensue as I am easily a thousand times larger than this small 11.2 ounce bottle. With care, I pry off the cap with my well-worn tusk of ivory, being diligent not to tip the contents with my brutish movements. Using my trunk, I empty the contents...

Appearance is hazy yellow, an interesting contrast against my pale wrinkled pink skin. Pours with a big frothy head, reduces to a finely bubbled crown. There must be bubbles rising throughout the glass, but even with my large eyes, I am only permitted access to viewing the ones close to the glass's edge, as the pink elephant must maintain some semblance of mystery to the processes therein...

Sitting on my haunches, I delicately hold my trunk over the glass for a whiff - aahhhh...appealing yeast and an enticing spicy, peppery sensation. Slightly sweet smelling as well, and I am inclined to plunge my trunk into the glass and empty the contents in a flash...but the thought of emptying the contents of my nose into my mouth somehow seems inappropriate, not to mention unappetizing, so I restrain myself, and gently caress the glass with my trunk and bring it to my waiting lips.

Not wanting to waste any flavor of this wonderful experience, and yet fully aware of my over-sized tongue, plus the fact that the remaining pachyderm troops could find me out at any moment (there's only so many places I can hide, you know), I tenderly pour some of the contents into my mouth. A very complex taste. Lightly sweet and yeasty up front, some clove elements giving way to some hefty carbonation. Delicious peppery spices and some nice tartness for further depth. Alcohol presence now, not much, and a noticeable hop bitterness. These last two tastes invert as the beer warms, more alcohol feel, less hop showing. Finishes sweet and spicy, lingering and beckoning for another taste.

Mouthfeel is solid and coating, fairly heavy, and believe me, I know heavy. Above average carbonation makes my mouth tingly and happy, Usually, a 9%er such as this limits itself for drinkability, but the multi-layered flavors make it hard to say no, especially out here in the savannah after eating roots and shrubs all day. So I will give it a few bonus points for that as I struggle mightily to lift my heavy frame to all fours and once again seek out my pack to rejoin, ultimately social creature that I am. (2,483 characters)

Served in aperitif style glass. Serving temperature was cellar.

This beer was served a pale yellow color that had a slight haze to it. Decent head that was white in color with good density, and while it lasted, it created a nice lace approx ½ the way down the glass, then as the foam subsided to nothing, but a small ring, the lace became non-existent. The aromas were of dried fruits (pears, strawberry, tropical), spices, light hops, some sweet malt and a hint of yeast and alcohol. The flavors were dominated by the fruits (pineapple), some spices (clove, pepper), hops, sweet honey, malt (light), yeast, and nice warming alcohol. Finished with a slight dryness mixed with alcohol on the tongue. Medium bodied. Sweet, spicy and dry came to mind while drinking this beer. All the flavors seemed to be very nicely balanced; each aroma and flavor seemed to compliment one another well. A must try. (901 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Delerium Tremens

'Pink elephants on parade!'

Presentation: 11.2 fl oz. dipped brown glass bottle. Trademark pink elephants adorn the label and foil top.

Appearance: Very pale golden yellow. Pours a 2 inch head in my chalice and the lacing is nonexistant although I know for a fact it is usually there.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy--cloves and bananas.

Taste: Everytime I have this beer, I fall in love all over again. Sweet up front with some corriander spicyness and a little bite from the carbonation and alcohol. The back end offers subtle hops and a hint at some buttery diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and creamy all at the same time, not as full bodied as some belgians, but still impressive.

Overall: A formidable belgian brew well worthy of its marketable name. This beer is at its pinnacle when at cellar temparature, as with many belgians. (861 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

750 ml bottle. Poured a clear golden color, with a massive head that stuck around for quite awhile. Leaving lots of nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is fruity, almost like a Weizen with it's banana like aroma. Taste is again like that of a weizen with a spiciness, that leaves behind an rather odd taste. Heavy on the carbonation, and a dry finish. But I find that I really don't care for this. It was ok but i'd pass on this again. (431 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%

Light colored body with a phenolic aroma that brings out some spicyness to it. First taste is of a malt sweetness that I can only accumulate to as honey. More nondescript sweetness comes into play later. Lots of spices are here. Mainly noticeable is pepper from the phenols. Alcohol is definitely noticeable and gives this beer an added dimension. The finish is a fruity one. Tasty. (382 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I purchased this for my birthday in part from the rave review of a fellow MN BA, Feloniousmonk. From his review and others it seemed like a celebratory beer. Hey, it's even corked like champange. Popped like one too.
Very pleasant aroma that's a mix of light fruitiness (even strawberry like, but also a phennnol banana quality) and mild maltiness like a begian golden ale. Pours with a big full almost chalk white fluffy head that has pretty good staying power. Pale gold color with some haziness. An attractive beer that remains so throughout the drink. As others have written the carbonation lends a lightness and softness, but has an intensity like a sparkling wine. Really quite interesting, but makes it a little filling (surprisingly).
Either I accomodated or the flavor got a little less intense as I continued to pour. Very slight phenol quality. Really quite smooth, especially considering the strength of the alcohol. Nice clean finish, with only a slight dryness that remains. For an ale it actually does beer cooler that warmer. I certainly don't appreciate this like others, but this is a nice beer. If all the subtlties of the aroma were evident in the flavor I'd give it a highter rating. Maybe it's a freshness issue. Nonetheless an enjoyable beer and one worthwhile for a celebration. (1,306 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Strong delicious ale with very nice Belgian Lace. The alcohol is present throuhgout this very serious, very strong ale. Refreshing and delicious with hints of vanilla, and coriander. This is one of the finest beers in the world and always worth seeking out, though not as complex as the bottle version. (302 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34%

Mild aroma similar to a Hefe Weizen I recently had. It has a light yellow orange color with a short head that disappears quickly. It tasted a little sweet/sour to me. Not a bad taste, but I also think my taste buds were a little off from a recent dinner. It gave me a bit of an initial tingly feeling on the roof of my mouth that lasted a fair length of time. (359 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

A very good beer this is. Pours a non translucent but crisp golden tone with much carbonation and a thick white head. It immediately gives off an intense yeasty smell with some of the alcohol and the fruityness.

The taste, starts off with an embracing feel for the carbonation, followed by a deliciously slight sweetness, wheat presence rather similar to some weissbiers, but has a strong perceivable alcohol which adds to a harmonious mix which is finally complimented by a pleasant bitterness at the end, while running down the throat.

I rate it highly but lowered the drinkability as to suggest its high alcohol content may fool you when drinking one-after-another of this excelent brew. (698 characters)

Pour is a hazy golden peach, with a large, solid white head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is yeasty, fruity (apples and pears), slight peppery spice in the back. Flavor is sweet, lot's of apple, some mild spiciness comes in the middle to the end. Medium-full bodied, dry ending. (279 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A few weeks ago, I drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga to obtain some > 6% abv beers - a few trappists, some Stone Brewing Co. beers, and basically whatever else I could find and possible afford. I went up there with a $50 limit to my purchases, and came back with $150 worth of beer. What can I say, I am weak. Nevertheless, the 5 hour trip netted a few choice brews. This is one of them.

Poured a honey gold color with a thin head, but lots of efferevescense that kept a nice Belgian lace on top of the brew for as long as it was in my glass. The aroma was very fruity, with the predominant scent being apples. Green, almost cidery apples. Reminds me of champagne - the color, the bubbles, the smell, it's all very similar. The taste was cidery and fruity on the edge, very crisp along the front of the tongue, then fading to a malt-alcohol finish.

My favorite part of this beer would have to be the bubbles. They don't stop. It keeps the beer refreshing, and very deceptive regarding it's alcohol content - until you stand up. I will certainly be purchasing this beer again on my next trip. (1,100 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, the froofy white'n'blue bottle with foil cap and pink elephants did absolutely nothing to convince my brother in law that this wasn't just another "pansy import". However, in all honesty, it was the bottle that caught my eye.

It poured a reasonably clear golden yellow, with a firm pure-white foamy head (rather like the froth on a cappucino, I'd say). Throughout the entire glass, the head stayed and even grew occasionally.

The aroma was relatively simple: clovey and phenolic, with some citrus zing. The flavour was also fairly simple. Lots of clove, a touch of sweet malt. A bit of bitter hops backs it all up, but overall I found it a bit singleminded at the start, and weak at the finish. Although it's nice and refreshing, I don't find it as interesting and surprising as, say, Orval's.

The body is modest and warm. The firm carbonation is dead on, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I'm getting hard to please as I start to develop experience with different beers, but I was underwhelmed. Nothing exactly -wrong- here, just not a lot of overly right. (1,076 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Hey, didn't white bottles go out in the 70s, along with white shoes on runningbacks? Anyhow, it pours a good-looking gold with a fat white head. The smell is a nice combination of fruit with a slightly medicinal scent and noticeable hops. The taste is nice, but the alcohol isn't well-hidden. It worked better when paired with some Stilton than it did on its own. It's not bad, but it doesn't stack up all that well in the universe of Belgian Strong Ales. (455 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow with yeast floating in the brew. A nice firm white head meets the top of the glass. It takes a few minutes but the head gives away to a nice lace for the rest of the ride to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is sweet with hints of fruit and spices, hints of pepper and malt.

Taste is very surprising and kind of complex. There was a bit of a lemon zest mixed in with malts a touch of bread and hops on the finish.

Overall, an excellent brew that was a delight to drink. A must for all to try (524 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

The ceramic look-alike bottle has pink elephants, dragons, strutting crocodiles, and birds on the label. Interesting to say the least...

Appearance: Pours a dull, pale gold topped with a bright white head that holds at a thin cap.

Smell: Sweet and complex with a blast of tropical fruits, with pineapple being the strongest. I detect a bit of white grape as well. There's a rich honey aroma too, along with a bit of spiciness. Hint of breadiness from the yeast. Holding it all up is a good base of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet and spicy with a delayed hop bite. The fruit flavors are all over the place, with pineapple again being the most obvious. I can pretty much cut and paste everything from the smell to here: spices (coriander and clove?) honey, bready yeast, phenolics, and alcohol. Finishes with a burst of warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated. Almost watery in body with a crisp, dry mouthfeel. It's gets even drier towards the end from the alcohol.

Drinkability: This brew goes down quite easily for being 8.5%abv. I could drink a few of these before they snuck up on me and had me seeing pink elephants... (1,134 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice, crystal clear golden color. Aroma was sweet and alcoholic, very strong. Nice thin layer of head throughout. Lace clung to the glass all the way. Taste was sweet, then became citrusy with a hint of orange and maybe cloves. Mouthfeel was thick, rich and smooth. Alcohol taste was very noticeable. A delightful Belgian. (322 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Delirium Tremens with the Pink Elephant of the label should serve as a valid warning as to this brew's strength. The color is sort of a cloudy butterscotch with orange highlights. A strong alcohol fume rises upon opening followed by hop, clove and sweet malty aromas. Fully malted and highly hopped, this ale is full of raw and wild flavors. Somewhat herbal with a touch of sweetness. Lemon peel and yeasty flavors round this unfiltered, strongly alcoholic ale. (461 characters)

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe