Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,587 | Hads: 5,149
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I purchased this for my birthday in part from the rave review of a fellow MN BA, Feloniousmonk. From his review and others it seemed like a celebratory beer. Hey, it's even corked like champange. Popped like one too.
Very pleasant aroma that's a mix of light fruitiness (even strawberry like, but also a phennnol banana quality) and mild maltiness like a begian golden ale. Pours with a big full almost chalk white fluffy head that has pretty good staying power. Pale gold color with some haziness. An attractive beer that remains so throughout the drink. As others have written the carbonation lends a lightness and softness, but has an intensity like a sparkling wine. Really quite interesting, but makes it a little filling (surprisingly).
Either I accomodated or the flavor got a little less intense as I continued to pour. Very slight phenol quality. Really quite smooth, especially considering the strength of the alcohol. Nice clean finish, with only a slight dryness that remains. For an ale it actually does beer cooler that warmer. I certainly don't appreciate this like others, but this is a nice beer. If all the subtlties of the aroma were evident in the flavor I'd give it a highter rating. Maybe it's a freshness issue. Nonetheless an enjoyable beer and one worthwhile for a celebration. (1,306 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Strong delicious ale with very nice Belgian Lace. The alcohol is present throuhgout this very serious, very strong ale. Refreshing and delicious with hints of vanilla, and coriander. This is one of the finest beers in the world and always worth seeking out, though not as complex as the bottle version. (302 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34%

Mild aroma similar to a Hefe Weizen I recently had. It has a light yellow orange color with a short head that disappears quickly. It tasted a little sweet/sour to me. Not a bad taste, but I also think my taste buds were a little off from a recent dinner. It gave me a bit of an initial tingly feeling on the roof of my mouth that lasted a fair length of time. (359 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

A very good beer this is. Pours a non translucent but crisp golden tone with much carbonation and a thick white head. It immediately gives off an intense yeasty smell with some of the alcohol and the fruityness.

The taste, starts off with an embracing feel for the carbonation, followed by a deliciously slight sweetness, wheat presence rather similar to some weissbiers, but has a strong perceivable alcohol which adds to a harmonious mix which is finally complimented by a pleasant bitterness at the end, while running down the throat.

I rate it highly but lowered the drinkability as to suggest its high alcohol content may fool you when drinking one-after-another of this excelent brew. (698 characters)

Pour is a hazy golden peach, with a large, solid white head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is yeasty, fruity (apples and pears), slight peppery spice in the back. Flavor is sweet, lot's of apple, some mild spiciness comes in the middle to the end. Medium-full bodied, dry ending. (279 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A few weeks ago, I drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga to obtain some > 6% abv beers - a few trappists, some Stone Brewing Co. beers, and basically whatever else I could find and possible afford. I went up there with a $50 limit to my purchases, and came back with $150 worth of beer. What can I say, I am weak. Nevertheless, the 5 hour trip netted a few choice brews. This is one of them.

Poured a honey gold color with a thin head, but lots of efferevescense that kept a nice Belgian lace on top of the brew for as long as it was in my glass. The aroma was very fruity, with the predominant scent being apples. Green, almost cidery apples. Reminds me of champagne - the color, the bubbles, the smell, it's all very similar. The taste was cidery and fruity on the edge, very crisp along the front of the tongue, then fading to a malt-alcohol finish.

My favorite part of this beer would have to be the bubbles. They don't stop. It keeps the beer refreshing, and very deceptive regarding it's alcohol content - until you stand up. I will certainly be purchasing this beer again on my next trip. (1,100 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, the froofy white'n'blue bottle with foil cap and pink elephants did absolutely nothing to convince my brother in law that this wasn't just another "pansy import". However, in all honesty, it was the bottle that caught my eye.

It poured a reasonably clear golden yellow, with a firm pure-white foamy head (rather like the froth on a cappucino, I'd say). Throughout the entire glass, the head stayed and even grew occasionally.

The aroma was relatively simple: clovey and phenolic, with some citrus zing. The flavour was also fairly simple. Lots of clove, a touch of sweet malt. A bit of bitter hops backs it all up, but overall I found it a bit singleminded at the start, and weak at the finish. Although it's nice and refreshing, I don't find it as interesting and surprising as, say, Orval's.

The body is modest and warm. The firm carbonation is dead on, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I'm getting hard to please as I start to develop experience with different beers, but I was underwhelmed. Nothing exactly -wrong- here, just not a lot of overly right. (1,076 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Hey, didn't white bottles go out in the 70s, along with white shoes on runningbacks? Anyhow, it pours a good-looking gold with a fat white head. The smell is a nice combination of fruit with a slightly medicinal scent and noticeable hops. The taste is nice, but the alcohol isn't well-hidden. It worked better when paired with some Stilton than it did on its own. It's not bad, but it doesn't stack up all that well in the universe of Belgian Strong Ales. (455 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow with yeast floating in the brew. A nice firm white head meets the top of the glass. It takes a few minutes but the head gives away to a nice lace for the rest of the ride to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is sweet with hints of fruit and spices, hints of pepper and malt.

Taste is very surprising and kind of complex. There was a bit of a lemon zest mixed in with malts a touch of bread and hops on the finish.

Overall, an excellent brew that was a delight to drink. A must for all to try (524 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

The ceramic look-alike bottle has pink elephants, dragons, strutting crocodiles, and birds on the label. Interesting to say the least...

Appearance: Pours a dull, pale gold topped with a bright white head that holds at a thin cap.

Smell: Sweet and complex with a blast of tropical fruits, with pineapple being the strongest. I detect a bit of white grape as well. There's a rich honey aroma too, along with a bit of spiciness. Hint of breadiness from the yeast. Holding it all up is a good base of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet and spicy with a delayed hop bite. The fruit flavors are all over the place, with pineapple again being the most obvious. I can pretty much cut and paste everything from the smell to here: spices (coriander and clove?) honey, bready yeast, phenolics, and alcohol. Finishes with a burst of warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated. Almost watery in body with a crisp, dry mouthfeel. It's gets even drier towards the end from the alcohol.

Drinkability: This brew goes down quite easily for being 8.5%abv. I could drink a few of these before they snuck up on me and had me seeing pink elephants... (1,134 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice, crystal clear golden color. Aroma was sweet and alcoholic, very strong. Nice thin layer of head throughout. Lace clung to the glass all the way. Taste was sweet, then became citrusy with a hint of orange and maybe cloves. Mouthfeel was thick, rich and smooth. Alcohol taste was very noticeable. A delightful Belgian. (322 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Delirium Tremens with the Pink Elephant of the label should serve as a valid warning as to this brew's strength. The color is sort of a cloudy butterscotch with orange highlights. A strong alcohol fume rises upon opening followed by hop, clove and sweet malty aromas. Fully malted and highly hopped, this ale is full of raw and wild flavors. Somewhat herbal with a touch of sweetness. Lemon peel and yeasty flavors round this unfiltered, strongly alcoholic ale. (461 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%

Lives up to its reputation and its heritage. Appears as a slightly darker pilsner in the glass but has an extraordinary complex flavor. Ever-slightly sweet, citrus, a nose reminicient of brandy with new flavors coming through with each sampling. The triple-fermentation provides for a great depth of flavor. Packs quite a kick, also.

[Re-reviewed, 05/23/2004]

Pours a bright and lively golden color with a tall, frothy white head. Nose is sweet with fruits both dried and citrus, candy sugar, light malts, faintly peppery. Very complex.

The first sip is malty and sweet with a noticeable alcohol presence. Rich and slightly biscuity with some yeast flavors, light on the hops with some citrus coming through.

Oddly, the sweetness subsides as the beer warms and flavors of white pepper and orange rind emerge amid some cloves and other hidden spices. The delicate balance remains and the palate is not tired and remains suprisingly easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is remarkably light although a bit oily on the tongue. One of the finest and most complex beers I have ever come across. A perennial favorite of mine, my traditional birthday beer to share with friends, although I missed out this year. (1,207 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

This is becoming one of my favorite Belgian ales. Great eggshell painted bottle with little pink elephants on the label. Nice pour of orange tinted cloudy golden body and white froth. Aroma of fruit and a little yeasty. First few sips seemed very effervescent bot smoothed out as it rested. Flavor is great with fruit and and spices with a definate yeast and alcohol presence. Overall sweet and dry. Reminds me of one of the Chimay beers I've had before (453 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Great head on this one, light, very light, and bright white, reminicent of Duvel. The taste was not what I exspected, sweeter than many artisanal pales that I have had though this was not a bad thing. Sour finish like the taste of a grannysmiths apple. The alcohol is very subtle fot the stregnth of this beer, which is 8.5% not 9 as listed above. A very solid beer though I think its winning the world beer champoinships is a little bit much. Not as good as some N. American beers ever, say Fin Du Monde or Hennepin. Still, a great one. (537 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice golden yellow with an abundant head that remained very well. The abundant carbonation helped to ensure that I had a dose of head with each taste. The smell was dominantly sweet and fruity, I noticed a hint of a raison, but there were also hints of spice and yeast. The taste was both sweet and sour, almost like a green apple, but very pleasant and fairly complex. The carbonation and medium to light body made this a very pleasant beer on the palate. This beer also finished surprisingly crisp. Overall this was a very enjoyable brew, but I think if I had the choice I would rather have a Hennepin or a Fin Du Monde. Nevertheless this beer is in elite company, its just not at the top of the pile in my book. (722 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Granny Smith apples are the first thing that comes to mind after tasting this beer. I've never really had a beer that tasted like this before. Surprisingly sour with a citric twang to it. Also deceptively strong considering how easy it is to drink. Not sure I'd buy it again at $9/bottle, but definitely a very interesting beer. (328 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Brilliant golden color, with a thick off-white head that leaves excellent lacing. The aroma is sweet and fruity, and medicinal. The flavor has a mild sweetness, with fruity flavors. It is a bit astringent, with a drying finish. It is medium bodied, but has an alcohol content that will sneak up on you. A very delicious, easy drinking brew. (340 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

I've had this in bottles, and I recall it being a little more lively than the draught version. Perhaps I'm mistaken; it's just a memory. But anyhow...

Pours honey-colored yellow, looks thicker than it is. Sweet and somewhat fruity in flavor. It's missing something though. I'd say it's fair to say this is reasonably similar to Duvel in some respects, and Duvel just has this liveliness and spice that adds something. This one is a bit more straightforward with that fruit candy sweetness characteristic to some of the stronger Belgians. Tasty for sure but could be a wee bit better. (586 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Orange in color witha thick white head. The explosiveness of the cabronation is evident both from the loud pop upon releasing the cork, and the way the bubbles simply rocket up to the top of the glass. Aroma is yeasty, with plenty of spiciness, some orange zestiness, and berry-like fruitiness. Flavor is maltier than I'd expected, and lightly hopped. Alcohol flavor is mild, and aftertaste is cherry-like. I actually found it to be a bit too sweet until I added the yeast -- this gave the flavor a bit more zing and helped to balance. Full bodied and velvety smooth in texture. A very decent beer. (598 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%

One of the Belgian-ist Belgians I've tried. The malt was almost a little overpowering for my taste, but was balanced out with nice lemon and coriander flavors, with a hint of spice. The head was huge (and a beautiful color and consistency), and even though I though I poured it properly it still ran over! The color was a cloudy pale gold, with only a faint aroma of lemon and malt. Alcohol was fairly noticeable, which leads me to believe the content may be a bit higher than 9.0%. I also noticed that the flavors became more subtle and pleasant as the beer warmed slightly and was exposed to the air. All in all, a nice offering, but guess I'm still a Chimay devotee. (669 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 750ml white ceramic looking bottle with a blue foil-covered cork.

I don’t think I could have picked any other better beer for my 100th review than this one. This is an all-around great beer. It pours a clear golden/orange color with tons of carbonation. It’s topped off by a thick and fluffy white foam that fades down into a 1/4-inch head, which retains itself for the entire duration, leaving a sticky lace splattered on the side of the glass. This beer is bursting with a huge arsenal of aromas. Bananas, coriander, malt, alcohol and grapefruit are very prominent, intermixed with subtle hints of vanilla and hops that are blended together splendidly to give this beer an extremely complex nose. I detected a different scent every time I took a whiff. The flavor is just as complex as the aroma. The spiciness of coriander and the tanginess of citrus fruit hit the taste buds first, followed by a mild sweetness, possibly the banana, and then finished off with a mellow bitterness of hops. The vast array of flavors masks the alcohol taste quite well. The high carbonation level gives this brew almost champagne-like qualities, which tickles my tongue. This is an extremely balanced and complex beer, there’s so much going on. If it weren’t for the high cost ($8.99 per bottle) I would always have this beer on hand. I just can’t say enough about this beer. (1,382 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Interesting bottle, whats with the pink elephants? Also like the solid gray bottle.

Color is a cloudy yellow, lots of swirling action as it pours and that big fluffy white head just kept going. Eventually settled down and remained throughout the glass leaving tight, patchy lace.
Smells of fresh lemon and orange with a bit of floral hop notes, very strong on the nose, quite citrusy. Taste is a smooth lemony delight with a little sweet, bitter malt at the start and jumps right into the lemon and orange peels and mixed with a fresh, floral hop and spice. Very good feel, some dryness to it, but its very citrusy wet and smooth. Drinkable, yes sir indeed. (661 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Nice, fast Belgian head -- inflates like an emergency life raft -- with good lacing. Head eventually settles to about 1/4 inch and stays there. The beer itself is slightly cloudy golden yellow. Aroma is a mix of hops, citrus, and flowers.

Taste makes you say "Wow." It starts with malt, followed by a snaps of hops and carbonation. Chewy and spicy.

How do the Belgians make beer that seems to taste different with every sip? Not sure I would have liked this a few months ago, and damned sure that I'm glad that I've kept plugging away at the Belgian beers.

A beer that will bring a smile to your face. (610 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

A good all around Belgian with the to be expected carbonation, high ABV & spice/yeast profile. Pours a slightly orange/yellow/green just barley cloudy color. The head is not impressive at first, but hangs on to every bit of its self & seems to rejuvenate with each tilt. Glorious Belgian aroma of nut-raisin-spice. Clove honey & fruit rounding each other out & shifting slightly more tangy from nose to mouth.

Very high ABV & it at times may over power its self with that, seems to flush out some of the fullness of the flavor. But, on the other hand its bubbly enough to keep the aroma pushed up so it works to re-balance the overall flavor nicely.

All in all a supper yummy quaff, but not something for steady work.

Good with trout or just a good loaf of bread & a jar of cheese wiz.

Ave (804 characters)