Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
GlassFreeek

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a large Tulip glass. This beers pours a nice 4 finger head into the glass.

A: Awesome, what can I say? The bottle is awesome, I really love the presentation of this beer. This beer has a nice golden hue to it with a lovely foamy heady.

S: Typical Belgium Ale w/ a little more sweetness and fruitiness.

T: Love it! Can' resist the next sip, I really feel this is one of those staple beers in a Belgium Ale lovers house. Everything you're looking for and more!

MF: Like Champagne-espue for a beer, amazing, IMO.

Overall I tend to enjoy this beer thoroughly and was one that got me started into my Belgium Ale craze.

08-06-2011 00:11:32 | More by GlassFreeek
harrymel

Washington

3.75/5  rDev -9%

33cl bottle. Label notched, 01, 10

A: Pours a yellow grain ale with three fingers of loosely packed eggshell head which falls over a few minutes to a thick quilt. No lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Sweet bready grain with hints of coriander and metallic yeast. Hints of floral notches on the ends of this beer. Smells nice.

T: Banana, grain, yeast, earthy mushroom like flavor. A hint o astringency a la yeast off-flavors. Sweet on the front and slightly dry and bitter on the finish.

M: Medium to light bodied ale with very high carbonation. Dry finish.

O: This is a good beer in the bottle, in the US. This is a great beer on tap in Brussels.

08-03-2011 07:40:23 | More by harrymel
Crossmd

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Out of a Sam Adams pint glass. $10 in a bomber.

Pours beautifully with a vortex of carbonation and foam that sits confident and lofty at a good 2.5 fingers high for a substantial amount of time. This is the beer they use for the commercials.

Smell is sort of nonexistent. Some fleeting nuts, light dried fruit (apricot?) some hops maybe, but really nothing to write home about. For any beer, I can't really compensate for style here.

Taste starts with a rush of effervescence that rounds out slightly with the same nutty fruits that were in the nose. Finishes nicely, and this is where I start to just get excited about it. For a beer of this weight, I believe that the finish is considerable, with all of the best parts of the hops hanging out nicely. I wish there were more.

Overall, the style it achieves. Though, this is one that I guess that I respect more than I appreciate- I can understand what it's trying to do. Where it comes short though, is that I'm putting it continually up against Duvel, which I believe to be (IMO) the pinnacle of the style. Here it can't really compete, I believe. For $10USD/bomber, I'm expecting a lot, and Duvel has a smoothness and elegance about it that makes it for me, truly the champagne of beers(sorry High Life..) In the interest of fairness, I think it comes down to a comparison between the Duvel that knows absolutely what it is and seeks to achieve it perfectly - and the Delirium that comes relatively close, but doesn't have the same finesse.

I'm really not afraid to call this beer out on where I think it comes short. It doesn't have a ton of flaws, it just isn't worth the price it commands. For many this one I think is just going to be different strokes.

88.5.

08-01-2011 05:23:24 | More by Crossmd
socon67

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Yellowwith a coppery hue. A nice white foam on top, and some lacing.

S - Scents of tropical fruits. Very sweet smelling, and has a candy sweetness.

T - Tastes of fruit and candy is tempered by the acidity of belgian yeast that gives a sharp bite at the end. Very well, balanced and enjoyable.

M - If it wasn't quite so sharp at the end I'd lioke this even more. But Delerium is a wonderfully balanced belgian pale with a smooth body. Can easily have a few of these.

O - This is just a very enjoyable beer that is a good fit for many occasions. Another example of qulaity belgian brewing.

07-26-2011 03:15:22 | More by socon67
Dan3279

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

One of my all time favorite beers that I usually bring out for special occasions but last night was the very first time I have ever had it on tap and I figured that this was the best time to write my review. This is a special beer to me because it was a beer that my Dad turned me onto several years ago and I always think of him when I drink it.

The beer was served to me in a snifter glass and had a clear, pale yellow body and a nice two inch white head. The aroma was excellent with wheat, yeast, malt, honey and dried fruits. The taste is just awesome, with the Belgian yeast, fruit, and some hops balanced in.

The beer is medium bodied and crisp with a lot of carbonation, almost like a champagne. At the same time it is an easy beer to drink and leaves you wanting more with each sip.

07-24-2011 19:43:57 | More by Dan3279
augustgarage

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip. Like many people in the U.S., this was one of the first Belgian ales I tried...to avoid the resulting nostalgia I've waited several years to revisit and review this beer.

Citrine with titanium yellow highlights - furious bubbles feed an immense rocky surging head of ivory merengue. Brilliantly clear. Near perpetual retention.

Peppercorn, lots of malt, a bit of honey, and clean noble hop notes in the nose.

Caramel, mint, bubblegum, and floral notes on the palate - the yeast strains vie for your attention, each contributing subtle phenolics to the flavor profile. The alcohol picks up and then fades a bit in the extended medium-dry finish.

Medium-bodied, seems lighter (is this filtered?) than you might expect...effervescent and spritzy all at once.

For many people Duvel is the standard-bearer for the style, but DT seems more archetypal to my tastes. It is hard to find fault with either, though neither have the depth of flavor of the best examples of the style.

07-23-2011 06:08:14 | More by augustgarage
WillCarrera

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a bright golden yellow, with a few fingers of frothy white head.

S- Candy/medicinal smell, yeast and some clove-like spice, light fruits. I'm also picking up on a bit of a root-beer-like sassafras smell.

T- Similar to the nose, the phenols are really huge with lots of medicinal, candy/bubblegum and clove flavors and a bit of the sassafras I picked up in the nose. The alcohols are pretty sweet but the clove spice stays through the finish and keeps things interesting. Hop bitterness is moderate but detectable.

M- Medium bodied, lots of crisp carbonation, finishes dry.

O- A delicious beer with great flavors and balance. Very drinkable and refreshing.

07-23-2011 03:10:37 | More by WillCarrera
bfields4

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Very pale golden. Head comes billowing off this beer in a big off white foamy fury that retains throughout the beer.

Clove and light banana are present but in a Belgian yeast way not so much of a hefeweizen style. Little hints of pepper and other spices are also present.

There's a nice champagnish bitter flavor coupled with hops right away. The bitter mellows into a nice candi sweet apricot tropical fruit flavor. Hints of green apple are also present. The alcohol provides a late hit to finish this beer off very nicely.

Lots of carbonation make this beer nice and light easy on the tongue. The alcohol is present but well incorporated. A very solid beer, and I'm glad because it would be depressing if they had such a great label and an inferior product.

07-19-2011 02:21:40 | More by bfields4
BEERME528

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

I was fortunate enough to enjoy this at the Delirium bar in Brussels. I can understand why many people consider this the most tasty beer in the world. Unique label, awesome bar, and a delicious taste that goes down smooth. A must buy for any beer drinker.

07-18-2011 17:03:52 | More by BEERME528
TheHoppiest

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Delerium Tremens branded snifter that I got last year at a Heinen's beer tasting. Pours a honey gold with minimal white head that settles into a small dollop slowly swirling in the middle. The head happily reactivated to a fizz if swirled.

Has a fruity, syrupy smell, like apples and apricots with hints of grapes. Floral notes, with honey and hints of grass underneath round out the aroma.

Sweet honey, white grapes, and malt combine for a mead-like experience. There is little to no bitterness and absolutely no hop presence in the pleasant, easy drinking ale. Rather, the finish has the slightest hint of sour, enough to grip but not bite.

Light bodied, especially for an ale clocking in at 8.5%. A mild tang at the mid-tongue finishes an otherwise way to easy to drink ale.

While I can appreciate the quality of this brew, it is simply too sweet and fruity a beer for me. In that vein, it is a lot like DFH's Midas Touch. Good to pull a sip or two, but slightly cloying as you get half-way through. If sweet, honey/fruit beers are your thing, give it a try.

07-17-2011 20:33:49 | More by TheHoppiest
atr2605

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A- pours a golden color with a large white head with above average head retention. Pretty good clarity as well
S-Sweet malt with citrus and a green apple/ pear aroma. Almost has an aroma similar to some hard ciders.
T- A little spice up front with the green apple/ pear fruitiness and the yeasty flavor in the background. Nice hop bitterness that rounds out the flavor and gives the beer a crisp finishing characteristic.
M- medium bodied, alcohol content is well hidden
O- Very enjoyable beer. It's extremely drinkable and I would definitely purchase again. A well crafted beer.

07-15-2011 00:12:40 | More by atr2605
hiku7

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

My wife had this on tap one night at a restaurant and declared it her favorite beer.

So, I had a sip, then a few weeks later, bought a 750 ml bottle, which we opened on our anniversary, tonight.

So much for the background. I only mention it because the bottle was extremely overcarbonated and the cork popped harder than a champagne bottle and was followed by a rush of foam all over the table. Not what I was expecting. The on tap version did not have nearly as much carbonation.

Once the carnage ended, I saw a straw to yellow hazy brew with lots and lots of carbonation. The brew sat beneath a towering pillow of white foam that persisted despite my incremental pouring.

The smell was lemony, peppery, slightly phenolic, and a bit buttery. No noticeable hops. The taste was the same, with a bit of alcohol warmth, though not too much considering the ABV. Very slightly sweet, but crispness in the finish.

Mouthfeel was creamy and dangerously drinkable for the ABV. Slight oily citrusy tartness in the finish.

Solid Belgian ale.

07-12-2011 04:13:29 | More by hiku7
dbmernin83

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Oh the elephant beer. Had it off and on for the past 7 years.
Pale golden, almost looks like Bud LIght with a pillowy white head.
Yeast and alcohol esters on the nose. A little grain.
Slightly sweet, a touch of funk, alcohol esters, citrus notes.
Crisp finish and high carbonation make it dangerously drinkable and refreshing, especially on this hot summer evening.
While I tend to stray towards saisons, this is one Belgian strong pale I will come back to year in and year out.

Serving type: nitro-tap

07-07-2011 06:38:22 | More by dbmernin83
Brunite

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

A: A very pale yellow with a snow white head. Lots of carbonation but the head quickly slips away.

S: Sour apple, pear, white grapes, champagne. Some pepper-like spiciness as well.

T: The taste is fruity as is the smell. A dry bitterness with some light alcohol burn.

M: Lots of carbonation. Creamy head is formed by swirling the glass.

O: A decent beer but less than I had hoped for, BSPA is not my favorite style...I'd prefer a BSDA or Saison.

07-06-2011 03:15:12 | More by Brunite
gopens44

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Clear and golden with a thick foam, well retained head

S - Biscuity with a ton of what was a cross between circus peanuts (the candy) and bananas. As it warmed up a touch I got a hint of sulfur maybe? coming across my nose

T - The sweet and fun taste of bubble gum with a wonderful slightly spicy Belgian yeast taste, followed up with what
I can only describe as a slightly earthy taste.

M Clean, dry and medium bodied. Slightly bitter aftertaste that doesn't linger altogether too long.

O - Wonderful beer that has maybe a bit more complexity than Duvel, but doesn't have that same champagne style punch and overall consistency that Duvel has.

07-05-2011 18:46:44 | More by gopens44
Simmy7000

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

22 oz bottle

A-Pours a clear yellow color, 2 finger head that recedes at a decent pace leaving light lacing throughout.

S- Smells of wheat and yeast with a mix of sweet, fruity overtones.

T- Opens up with a mix of fruit and wheat before the yeast kicks in. Some faint spice throughout. Do not detect any hops. Everything was going great until a huge alcohol and at some points even acetone/chemical like qualities appeared in the finish. Was still able to finish the drink but this definitely ruined the great opening and overall drink for me.

M- Crisp and light-bodied with good carbonation. However, the large alcohol presence once again brings this category down.

O- Not really sure what happened here. Smelled fine, opening taste was great and promising but a very intense alcohol/chemical presence took over and ruined the drink for me. My friend was sharing with me and he noticed the same thing I did. He has had this on tap before and claims it tasted nothing like this. Would definitely like to try another bottle or on-tap in the future.

07-03-2011 03:10:50 | More by Simmy7000
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a chimay goblet.

Appears with a golden yellowy hue, and a large head that quickly subsides to leave a tiny lacing on top.

Smells nice, like fruits and a bit of alcohol.

The taste is unfortunately dominated by a very high level of carbonation but heres what I can get through it: pale malts and fruits at the start but a nice bitterness coming through at the end from a hop taste finishing it off with an alcohol warmth. As you drink the carbonation harshness turns to more of a sharpness which complements the fruit.

Overall a very good beer. Nice but deceptively alcoholic.

07-02-2011 20:18:09 | More by CwrwAmByth
JerseyKirk

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Golden pale yellow. 3 finger white head. Highly carbonated. Fluffy head.

S: Bready and slight citrus notes. Faint clove.

T: Banana, Clove, Wheat Yeast Esters, tiny bit of alcohol.

M: High carbonation and thin.

O: It was just ok. Standard belgium pale ale with just more alcohol. I could take it or leave it. Honestly feel its only popular due to bottle artwork and high abv. BUT I will say its one of the best balanced belgium beers I've had.

07-02-2011 16:17:05 | More by JerseyKirk
distantmantra

Washington

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

On tap at Steak Frites. Brussels, Belgium. Notes from April 2011.

A: Clear yellowish gold color with a decent head.

S: Smells of malt, honey, banana and yeast.

T: Yeast, spice and fruit flavors are at the forefront of this beer.

M: Full flavor with a medium body. Medium carbonation and the alcohol is not apparent.

D: The first beer I had in Belgium. Not my favorite style, but definitely worth trying.

07-01-2011 22:08:48 | More by distantmantra
notchucknorris

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours a clear golden color with a one finger bone white head.

S: Light aromas of pale malt, honey, white wine and some spices whose identities I can't quite pick out.

T: Green apple, lemon, a bit of white pepper, cloves, and a bit of grass. Really nice and light and way easy to drink for the ABV. Definitely a keeper.

06-30-2011 00:52:52 | More by notchucknorris
rickyleepotts

Arizona

This beer was served with a lemon wedge. The bartender here at The Beer Sellar even said, “This beer is supposed to be served with a lemon wedge.” So I took the wedge, rimmed my glass, and poured the beer into my glass. The beer is very light in the glass, almost like a summer beer, something you drink on a hot summer day. But I know this beer is not a seasonal, as those dancing alligators are too hard to forget. (There are dancing alligators on the label.)

Since there was a lemon on the edge of the glass, after I poured the beer I just tossed the lemon in. The beer also smells like a lemon… granted, the edge of the glass was just doused with a lemon wedge, but you know what I mean. Lots of citrus circling the nose. You get a lot of that on your first taste, too.

The beer looks as if it will have a ton of carbonation, but it really doesn’t. As a matter of fact, the beer is quite smooth and has an excellent mouthfeel. Then you are hit again with that summer-citrus thing I was talking about earlier. There is, toward the back of the palate, a subtle change in flavor… but nothing that lasts, or is noticeable to really investigate. Past that, it’s a very drinkable beer that I could enjoy time and time again. (Maybe I just like lemons…)

06-28-2011 02:40:17 | More by rickyleepotts
beergod1

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Like Nocturnum, my favorite of the Delirium family, this beer has nice white fluffy head. The beer pours orange/gold, and the head lasted through the entire glass. Fruity aroma and taste, almost excessive carbonation, I can watch that all day looking into a light.
Delicious with lots of bready, yeasty qualities and punctuated with a bit of spices. Some hop notes, especially in the finish. Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Dry finish leaves you wanting more. Extremely smooth for the high ABV. Hard to believe I like the Nocturnum more, Guess I need to buy one and find out why.

06-28-2011 00:06:44 | More by beergod1
DavidST

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Served out of a 330ml bottle, the bottle is pretty impressive and I doubt there is a better bottle out there for keeping light out.

This pours a yeast cloudy yellowish color which a frofty white head which quickly dissipates and doesn't leave much lacing. The smell is nice, it has that Belgium aroma, its kind of sweet and pleasant. Very nice mouthfeel medium to light thickness with bubbly carbonation. The taste is pretty good, it has that fruity / musty belgium taste which good with a strong aftertaste. Overall a pretty tasty beer, but I've had better.

06-25-2011 03:21:52 | More by DavidST
BoitSansSoif

France

A-Nice-looking clear yellow-gold with billowy head, good retention.

S-Biscuity malt, honey and juicy fruit, spice, faint banana, Belgian yeast w/faint gunpowder.

T-Was initially hit by a metallic taste on the first sip, but subsided. Even rich pale malt with lots of spicy phenols, light fruit, big bouquet in the finish with blast of spice, dry hops, and alcohol.

M-Medium-bodied with full-flavor, alcohol heat, evenly balanced with moderate carbonation that is just right.

D-A pretty hefty beer. I like it a lot, but I only want one every few months, and one at a sitting. A filling, satisfying beer.

06-24-2011 18:40:57 | More by BoitSansSoif
drowninginhops

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In Duvel glass. From notes.

A: Pale golden in body with a 2 finger white head. No lacing.

S: Sweet malt smell, yeast is the most prominent smell here.

T: Fruity alcohol well hidden. Light on hops.

M: Average body.

D: Not bad might benefit with aging.

06-22-2011 01:20:12 | More by drowninginhops