Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
adam42381

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Review from notes at World of Beer - Fort Myers on 9/29/11.

Poured on draft into a Delirium Tremens glass.

Appearance: Pours a medium gold with a 2 finger foamy white head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast and cloves with a touch of other spices.

Taste: Belgian yeast and clove up front followed by sweet fruit and black pepper in the middle before ending with a mildly bitter finish. Aftertaste is peppery and bittersweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Good drinkability. The elevated ABV% would keep you from drinking multiples, but it's still very good.

Overall: Very good beer overall. I think I prefer this one on draft, which is saying something. Definitely worth trying.

10-07-2011 22:52:57 | More by adam42381
chinchill

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Straw colored and crystal clear with a massive and creamy white head. Fine carbonation is visible.

Aroma: Slightly malty, moderately spicy, with a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Excellent for style, but with a disappointing finish. Banana and clove elements are present, but not overdone.

O: excellent example of style, although it 'pales' in comparison to Delirium Nocturnum.

{slight adjustment based on an on-tap tasting in May 2012}

10-04-2011 02:40:14 | More by chinchill
obywan59

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Notches on label indicate March 2010.

Transparent yellow against my review screen, but against my off-white wall it's definitely orange. @nd glass is cloudy. 4 to 5 finger white head giving light, but thick lacing. Awesome carbonation. Very fine, as in very tiny bubbles throughout, with a smokey tower of bubbles rising in the center.

Earthy and spicy Belgian yeast merged with lemon and some moderately overripe grapefruit.

Sweet upfront, but then the tastes pf lemon, bitterness and alcohol overbalance a bit. Perhaps I should have left the sediment in the bottle.

Medium to medium-thick with a moderate bite. Alcohol burn is a bit harsh at first, but mellows by the end.

Overall, the beer leaves a good impression, but I believe a bit more maturity would do well for this one.

10-02-2011 03:13:15 | More by obywan59
blincoln

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a reddish golden amber color with huge amounts of carbonation coming from the bottom of the class causing the head to actually grow to be about 3 fingers (I poured pretty slowly, believe it or not). Some thick foamy lacing left behind.

Aroma: Smells 'dirty' with a sour floral scent. Interesting, but hard to pinpoint the exact smells.

Taste: Fruit (almost like juice) supper sweet, bananas, pineapple, minty wintergreen tic-tac taste, honey nectar and a bit of maltiness

Palette: Medium body with a crisp floral finish.

Overall: Good blend of refreshing flavors that come together for a sharp and refreshing beer.

09-26-2011 01:42:03 | More by blincoln
Durge

Connecticut

Thanks to my buddy Carl for this coveted sample this one shows a bright pale golden yellow color that is just jumping with speed demon bubbles and a big frothy white head and decent lacing. The aroma is a wheaty, earthy clove, pleasant and likable. The flavor brings apricot banana and a kiss of citrus. Of course there is a clove touch as well. It’s tart and lively in feel with medium body. It’s very drinkable and smooth. A classic.

09-25-2011 02:58:40 | More by Durge
Seyhan

Turkey

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First time I met it was in a Belgian pub in Holland in a snifter at a good temperature.

Excellent design and unique logo.

Heaps of head. Intense sweet fruit flavour and sweet spices hitting you instantly. High carbonation very balanced with the yeast. Simply delicious and easy to drink for 8.5 % - became very jolly afterwards!

My favourite Belgian elephant!

09-23-2011 13:50:41 | More by Seyhan
ummswimmin

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this served from on tap into a small goblet in the snifter. The bartender left the head on the beer and didn't pour it out. I had about three fingers of head. It was fluffy, and it stayed on the beer for quite a while.

The beer is an orange, coppery color with a decent of inclusions. It looks like snow inside the glass.

The smell off the top is banana, pineapple, and some belgian esthers from the yeast.

The beer is pretty sweet and fruity. Of course, the belgian yeastiness comes through as well. I also had a decent amount of alcohol presence in the beer. It is pretty strong.

I had a bomber of this about a year ago, and I was drunk after. I recommend this beer, but if you get a bomber; make sure you share it.

09-23-2011 00:49:17 | More by ummswimmin
kylehay2004

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A: lots of lace. Clear and straw colored.

S: spicey with light banana and pineapple notes.

T: spicey up front with a bitter fruit finish, banana notes. The yeast character is excellent.

M: very smooth. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied. semi dry finish.

Overall: complex beer, excellent yeast character and decently drinkable.

09-21-2011 02:46:33 | More by kylehay2004
NeutroMan

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Opaque white plastic (I think) bottle with black specks. Corked and caged, with blue foil covering the top.

Mostly clear pale golden color with a torrent of bubbles rushing up from the bottom to form the foamy white head. Orange zest and spicy phenols in the nose. Fruity esters of orange, pineapple, pear, and melon complement the pale sweet malts. Alcohol is well-disguised, and this one can really sneak up on you if you're not careful. Medium-bodied and crisp with an almost champagne-like mouthfeel. Very refreshing.

09-21-2011 01:07:05 | More by NeutroMan
brewadelphia

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into my Stella glass...

This was my first Delirium and I didnt quite know what to expect. It poured a nice golden yellow with about half of a fingers worth of foam, which disipated pretty quickly. They smell was amazing but I had to sniff it several times as I was trying to think of what it smelled like... It came to me that this beer reminded me alot of Hoegarden. But it tasted 2x better than a Hoegarden. In my opinion this is a great beer and I can not wait to hae another.

09-19-2011 22:10:20 | More by brewadelphia
RollTide05

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

I really can't wait to drink this beer again because I only had one. Purchased it at Frites Belgian bar and restaurant in Hong Kong. At around US$11.50 per beer, It might be awhile before I have another.

It was a fantastic beer that was served in a Delirium Tremens glass but a bit too cold. I had to let it warm and once it did...wow. It has a great mouthfeel and I noticed some cherry flavors and even a bit of hops . It had a long, sweet finish which I loved. I can't stress this enough, this beer needs to be served at almost room temperature in order to really "taste" it. I wish that I wouldn't have drank half of the beer before I decided to let it warm. Overall an awesome beer. I may review it higher once I have some more experience with it.

09-15-2011 15:23:59 | More by RollTide05
dansmcd

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Interesting bottle. A pale, champagne-like colour under a mammoth three fingers of bubbly head fizzing away like rice bubbles. Head has excellent retention and spots of lace coat the glass.

S - Sour, acidic pineapple and champagne.

T - Sweet pears and rockmelon with champagne. A bit of heat as the abv is ever present.

M - Highly carbonated and thin in body.

O - Got better and more complex as it warmed. My bad there as I opened it straight out of the fridge. I can see how some people love this, but it's not for me really.

09-14-2011 01:40:15 | More by dansmcd
draheim

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330mL bottle (17:48 L03-10327; label notches: 4 10 13) poured slowly and gently into a tulip. I learned my lesson w/ the last DT I poured from this confounding opaque bottle when I wound up with a glass full of yeasty chunkies.

Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice clean white head and carbonation erupting from the laser etching @ the bottom of my Duvel glass.

Aroma is clean fruity Belgian yeast.

Taste is bright, fruity, and spicy with a slight mustiness. Nice smooth dry mouthfeel.

Here's another great Belgian beer I should always keep in stock.

09-13-2011 05:19:31 | More by draheim
enzocc

2.8/5  rDev -32.2%

A - Light yellow. A dense yellow going on inside. Not heavy at all. Nice head.

S&T - Fruity. sweet malts, sweet essences going on! bananas, apples, pears! a wheat light feeling.

M - Light, almost watery. very thin. Non sticky at all.

O - Light beer. Banana, sweet nut flavors. Thin, easy to drink!

09-09-2011 01:09:47 | More by enzocc
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

A bottle at Collins Pub in Seattle.

A: Light straw liquid with excellent clarity which had a 1 1/2" white head that dissipated slowly and left a nice lacing.

S: Pepper, citrus hops, and yeast.

T: Peppery up front which transitioned to citrus hops. It had a slightly yeasty finish, but overall I found this beer to be beautiful and subtle.

M: Thin viscosity with a very light level of fine carbonation.

O: A beautiful easy drinking Belgian Strong Pale Ale. World class.

09-06-2011 06:16:55 | More by DaftCaskBC
thegodfather2701

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

A-Staw yellow, thick yet fizzy white head. Some slight cascading, but no lacing to speak of.

S-Noble hops, grass notes, Belgian yeast, and some lemon zest.

T-Bright fruity flavors consisting of lemon and white grape fruit juice. Alcohol and Belgian yeast are present. It has a slight hop bitterness with some grassy notes and malt sweetness. This beer is crisp and refreshing. The Belgian yeast isn't overpowering and the hops aren't too grassy like Duvel is in my opinion. It is simply a delicious and complex beer.

M-Carbonated and crisp. Perhaps a little too carbonated.

D-Even given this beer's slightly high abv. I gave it the highest score in regards to drinkability. It is delicious and complex, but it doesn't burn out your palate like some beers. I think one could easily drink a 750 ml bottle of this and enjoy the entire contents with no problem. Therefore, it has a supreme drinkability.

Overall, this is my favorite version of the style. I like it better than Duvel which seems to grassy for me. This beer is a true classic as far as flavor is concerned.

09-05-2011 21:51:45 | More by thegodfather2701
Mario61Aler

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into 6 oz. Samplers to share with the wife.

Poured correctly and received a lot of head, had to stop or it would have overflowed, continued the pour after 2 minutes to fill the tiny glasses. The head was very white and lasted a long time and laced well.

Aroma was like I expected a Belgian to be, Dark fruits, Bannana, but some citrus in there.

Tasted just like it smelled but with a slightly drier finish that Chimay, or La Fin Du Monde.

This was a light to medium feel in the mouth and cleaned out nicely.

Overall, hmmm, it was good but still reflecting on the price of $4.89 a 12 oz. bottle. In that light compared to a Bomber of Chimay Blue they are similarly priced, and Chimay is better. Still it was a nice beer and I wouldn't turn it down, and will buy it again.

09-05-2011 13:08:53 | More by Mario61Aler
ChanChan

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at a weird BBQ joint/Mexican restaurant/bar in Culver city California. Served to me in a long tulip glass.

Appearance: Nice golden color, looks a lot like something produced by BMorC. Lacing is nice.

Aroma. Yeah, doesn’t look so hot but it smells good! should be just fine.

Mouthfeel: This beer feels good in the mouth just the right amount of carbonation.

Taste: Very nice Belgium beer presence, lots of fruit and spices.

Overall: A good beer but I thought it was kind of expensive for what I got. I had it at 10$ for a pint, if I can get it at 6-8 then I would be more than willing to buy again otherwise I’d rather drink something else!

09-05-2011 05:34:45 | More by ChanChan
Casey10

Maine

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fantastic beer. This has been in my celar for over 3 year. This brew has been waiting for a honest person to truley make this brew what it is. A great brew a must have.This is a great tasting brew and well worth trying again.This ride is a really nice one.

09-05-2011 02:58:07 | More by Casey10
vfgccp

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

A – Nice white head with great retention. Clear, light gold body.

S – Banana, nutmeg, wheat, and sweet cherries.

T – Banana, pecans and wheat roll into a soft and sweet malt center. Lemon zest acidity cleans out the finish with a tangerine fruitiness.

M – Super soft, medium/full body for the style.

O – A great beer, soft and sessionable on the palate.

09-04-2011 18:08:34 | More by vfgccp
chefelf

I don't know why I waited so long to try this but I just had it the other night. After ten years of wanting to try it I figured it was finally time. That's what I call initiative!

Overall this was a very nice beer. It's not Belgiany in the way that I typically love Belgian ales. I'd explain that more clearly if I knew exactly what it was that was missing. It was very good, don't get me wrong. It may have just been a little fruitier than I'd been expecting.

At any rate it's a very nice beer and I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Belgian ales.

09-04-2011 13:07:33 | More by chefelf
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a bright, mostly clear golden color. The foamy, off-white head is initially fairly tall. Retention is sturdy, and the head leaves some rings of lacing on the glass.

S: Quite fruity and spicy in the nose. Apples, peaches, and pears are prominent. Definite spice, with some phenols. Some honeyish maltiness is also present.

T: Lightly bready, with some sweetness up front. Spicy yeast character is a bit more prominent than the nose had suggested. Some moderate phenols and pepper. Fruitiness is also quite high. Peach, pear, and golden apple flavors are vibrant, along with some lesser tropical notes. Alcohol is prominent, but not overly hot; overall, it's integrated appropriately.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is perky but not explosive. Generally dry, but not bracingly so. Alcohol adds a light amount of heat.

D: A very tasty and complex Belgian ale. There's a wide array of yeast byproducts that contribute to this flavor profile, which manages to be both vibrantly fruity and characteristically spicy. Another beer I'd just never gotten around to trying, but I'm glad I finally have.

09-04-2011 00:08:55 | More by Clydesdale
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours just like a Tripel; pale golden with an enormous white thick head that sinks slowly into decent lacings.

S: Lots of spices/herbs and yeast (a hint of brett?). Dryness. Malt. Really citric. Some wheat? - ripe bananas in the smell.

T: Spicy/herby and really yeasty. At first there is so much ripe bananas, that this feels more like a Wit than anything else. But there is also lots of other fruits.

M: Aftertaste is rather long and sour/bitter. Body is full and carbonation very modest. Smooth!

O: This was a very nice beer. I expected much, and I was not dissapointed.

09-03-2011 18:05:51 | More by Evil_Pidde
DTJPPR

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

From notes on 04-09-2011. Poured from 750mL bottle into Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a nice golden amber color with lots of floating particles and a thick white head. Lacing sticks throughout.

S - Very big phenolic smell with citrusy hops, bananas, grapefruit, and honey. Splendid smell coming off this one!

T - Nice, full bodied flavor for the style. The phenolic flavors run strong and are evened out with a citrusy note along with honey in the malts. There is also a little bitterness from the hops that makes for a fantastic swirl of flavor. There's a hint of alcohol in the swallow, but not really that noticeable. This is a very balanced beer.

M - Clean mouthfeel despite the floaties. Goes down easy and only has a little dryness.

O - The funky bottle, little pink elephants, and fantastic smell and taste of this one makes for a beer that delivers on its hype. I can really see why people really like this stuff.

08-31-2011 18:10:32 | More by DTJPPR
Holland

From a bottle (which is beautiful) poured into a tulip glass

A: look at the head! It's large, and stays throughout the glass. The pour is a cloudy amber. I poured this at about 40 degrees F, and the head was spectacular.

S: citrus, earth, and esters. A bit of alcohol is present, but just a touch so it doesn't throw you off. I smell some sweetness in the end.

T: pale malt, fruity esters, grass, and finishes with bitter hops. As it warms, it becomes sweeter.

M: smooth until the tiny carbonation hits. Fine bubbles (not quite like Fleur, but good) that take up the hops and make it a nice finish.

O: drinkable, and relatively cheap and available. I like all of those things, and it tastes delicious. Certainly a go to if there isn't something else there.

08-27-2011 01:03:31 | More by Holland