Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +8%

Vintage 2010
A gentle pour produces two inches of beer in the snifter, and a mountain of white foam that almost overtops. It is almost clear, pale gold, and quite beautiful with its whipped cream tower.

Beautiful aroma of lightly tart yeast, gentle bready sweet, with an aromatic spice and fruity aroma behind it that beguiles. Not a strong bouquet, yet alluring.

My! This is a yummy mixture of uniquely nostalgic yet somehow new flavors, like I'd tasted them in a different, less perfect, way. Tart yeast gently opens into gentle herbal and floral, that follows an easy path of gentle candy, light fruitiness, and biscuit, into a juicy finish of all these flavors in equal proportion, joined by whispers of lemon candy and behind the scenes bitter. The collection of these gentle flavors makes a large taste that is remarkably delicious, complex, uplifting, and interesting.

Mouthfeel is perhaps the best thing about this beer. It is bright in the mouth, perf. carb., easy on the palate, a clean cling to the finish that lasts throughout.

Drinkability: Offered unfettered and limitless access to this beer, I am sure it would be wise to keep abreast of available liver donors.

Impression: Yet another excellent beer from Belgium, home to some some fine brewing magic.

cavedave, Dec 25, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a hazy, darker golden hue with a noticeable amount of carbonation flowing up to the top of the glass. Nice, fluffy white head with good retention. Smells of apples, fresh pears, yeast and some spicy aromas. It has a very balanced and fresh taste, a touch of sweetness at first, some noticeable yeast character throughout the sip, combined with some ripe, fruity notes and just a touch of alcohol with a slight spicy aftertaste. Overall, a nice light to medium bodied brew, a bit intense on the carbonation, and a very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. A fresh and flavorful beer that I could session if I could afford it..

jsdunlop, Dec 25, 2010

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Light tan/yellow, very carbinated at pour. Very frothy 2 inch white head that died down pretty quick

Smell - Lots of fruit, apple, citrus pineapple, grapes, some yeast and malts. Smells sweet and mild

Taste - Not as bitter and much more yeasty then noctunum. The yeast and bread taste mixed with fruit is interesting. Huge pineapple and grape flavor is mixed in well. Fairly sweet but not overboard

Mouthfeel - TIckles the tounge with alcohol and covers mouth with fruity traces and leaves mouth a little sour and dry. Aftertaste is quickly gone.

Drinkabilty - Its pretty smooth and esay going down but its a little weak and too yeasty for me. I prefer the bitter bite of nocturnum moreso. However, this is easier to drink but still its 8.5% alcohol so 1 or 2 is enough.

wvsabbath, Dec 23, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Had on Tap on 12/15.

Looked slightly yellower then plain water with a pure white head. Smelled like Citrus spice with some lemon, orange, and perhaps a hint of apple, though maybe I'm wrong.

Tasted much like the smell, a little bland, I generally thought it wasn't the best mix in flavour. Did a good job of masking the actual ABV.

callmeclemens, Dec 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at this year's Christmas party! Thanks Kirk! Pours a clear golden color..this beer could easily be mistaken for a bud light or coors to the naked eye. Once you get a whiff of it though, you know this is no BMC! The aroma is slightly funky with some amazing yeasty, spicy flavors with lemon zest. The taste is VERY lemony with great additions of coriander, pepper, banana, and delicious Belgian yeast flavors. The mouthfeel is very full-bodied, yet crisp with a bitter hoppy finish. Drinkability is fairly high. Good Belgian Pale!

DovaliHops, Dec 20, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

330ml bottle poured into tulip dec19 2010

A very slight haze in a golden orange body with plenty of bubbles feeding a short lived thumbs width of head that left no lace

S lots of pineapple and yeast with a little spice

T fairly well hopped and again lots of fruit and yeast but I pick up on some soapy flavor I don't remember this beer having

M light in the mouth and it fluffs up and a slight bite and just a little heat from the booze

D for 8.7% it's pretty easy too drink on a cold day but I could see this hurting me on a hot patio

keep an eye out for those pink elephants they can hurt you if you let them

wordemupg, Dec 19, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A: orange, yellow hint of light brown, almost a fair single malt appearance, white fluffy head that shrinks, jaw dropping lacing results.

S: clove, vanilla, ripe fruit, mild smoke flavor.

T: ripe fruit, vanilla, spices, hint of sweetness on the tongue.

M: med/heavy body, goes down like an amazing single malt. strong carbonation.

D: Amazing, but not for everyone. If you want something spectacular or perhaps mild-blowing, this is it. Alcohol warmth will occur and fast. The sweetness is the only thing holding this back from being a much more drinkable beer. Sip and savor this delicious monster!

BeerLover99, Dec 19, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap at world of beer, poured into a tulip glass

A-Muddled yellowish-orange, large foamy white head that dissipates to leave great lacing

S-Sweet fruit and spices, hints of vanilla and clove

T-Fruity, tangy, slight bitterness, leaves traces of vanilla

M-Crisp, very carbonated

D-Very drinkable, the sweetness masks the fact that it's whipping your ass at 8.5%, drink with caution

bboelens, Dec 19, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

appearance; pale straw yellow, slightly cloudy. This beer forms a loose white head when poured and dissipates quickly, leaving a thin collar of foam and a film in the center from constantly rising carbonation.

smell; a nice spicy hop odor with fresh peach straight from the tree on a warm summer day. Bits of wild flower honey holds it all together, with a warm, snuggle-like sweetness. Pretty complex and comparable to Duvel, just a bit milder.

taste; this beer wants to be sweet and a peach flavor comes through, but before the fructose comes through, alcohol sweetness balanced with a floral hop bitterness overpowers it. Of course this is my interpretation but this is what I expect of the style. Some cardamom and citrus rind bitterness in the finish.

mouthfeel; the body is fizzy and heavy with a light finsh, crisp when cold, slick when warm.

drinkability; the alcohol is certainly well hidden and this beer is supreme, definitely an easy drink when taken slow and respectfully, drink too fast and this beer can be a little nasty, well one just might be going to bed early.

Sachsenfreude, Dec 19, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

I AM A BIG FAN OF THE NOCTURNUM. NOW AFTER DRINKING THE THE TREMONS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY OTHER THAN WOW. MY FAVORITE PART IS THE SMELL, THE HEAD ON THIS BEER IS AMAZING. DEFINITELY NOT AS SMOOTH AS THE NOCTURNUM, I WOULD SAY IT DESERVES JUST AS MUCH APPRECIATION. IN THE END THIS IS ONE TASTY BEER.

HeathersBEERguy, Dec 15, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +16%

A. Poured a light hazy copper. lots of particulates an I let it sit for a week and poured very carefully.Small white lasting fizzy head. Not much lacing on the glass. This was a not so good looking brew.

S. OK close my eyes and take a long draw. Lots of fruits apples, pears, grapes very interesting.

T. Yummy fruity up front, apples, bannanas, and pears. Then a slight bitterness folowed by a nice warmness from the alcohol. Slightly spicy on the tongue.

M. Medium bodied nice carbonation, a little on the fizzy side. Dry finish.

D. A nice brew lots of flavors, and great texture. This would have been an A+ but I just didn't care for the appearance.

smibroncos, Dec 13, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

Once again delirium looks like dog-doo. Despite letting sit in the fridge for days, I make the most careful possible pour and wind up with thick, nasty chunks in the glass, even right off the bat, not considering just the last inch or so in the bottle. I even watched a video about how to pour bottle conditioned beer, no dice, I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong here. It's just full of nasty chunks. Not that much head, spotty lacing, slightly foggy golden color.

Smell wise it's fruits, fruits, fruits, apricots with plenty of spiced pineapple, with just a touch of "the smell of the chow-line at the DFAC during basic training."

It's a powerful taste explosion to be sure. Strong pineapple with yeasty fruits, apricots and apples, mandarin oranges, tangy and pungent with hops to at least slightly balance out the fruits. It's actually pretty darn tasty.

Wow with the high carbonation and slick, fruity aftertaste. Pretty good on the mouthfeel.

Drinks better than delirium noel but not by much. The appearance just takes away too much because frankly, it looks nasty. Blindfolded would be the best way to drink beers from this brewery as far as I can tell, in which case I would agree with all the high ratings. Other bottle conditioned beers don't look so terrible, even if you don't pour carefully and get some sediment in there. Why the chunks?

AlCaponeJunior, Dec 12, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

This is one of the best beer that I have drunk. The $5 price tag for 11.2 oz. (about $0.45/oz.) also makes it one of the most expensive.

Pouring it into my ceramic mug I noticed a dense, thick, creamy head that endured for several minutes. The ale was a pleasant clear pale golden hue.

On first taste a sweet maltiness predominated. A lingering but subtle bitterness was readily apparent after the swallow. Any hints of fruit were citrus.

The mouthfeel was an extremely pleasant milkiness. I felt satisfied with the volume contained within one bottle but I enjoyed every last drop.

Pimento, Dec 11, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Served in a tulip glass. The beer is a light clear golden with a huge, thick but light head. The head thins a bit, but stays thicker than most beers. It leaves a little bit of thin lacing. There is a little bit of sediment floating in it, but it doesn't really detract from the appearance.

The aroma is really great. There's a thick fruit aroma of pear, and fermenting apples, a bit reminiscent of wine. There's also an earthy quality and some alcohol presence. The flavor is mild and smooth. Alcohol is well hidden. Fruit flavors are present as well as mild earthy hops.

Mouthfeel is dry and carbonation is high, it has a very champagne like quality. It suits it very well. A great beer.

mjaskula, Dec 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at the Yard House in Las Vegas. Served in a 10oz goblet.

A- poured a clear straw color with a one finger foamy head. Nothing too fancy happening here but I like what I see, and in terms of style its spot on.

S- again, very typical belgian eststers and phenols are present. Overall the smell is wonderful. Extremely fuity and floral at the same time.

T- The beer has an overwhelming cardomon flavor which for the first time in my beer drinking career im loving. Very light hop presence. Some pepper as well.

M- nice thin mouthfeel. Thin carbonation that is fitting of the style.

D- this is delicious and dangerously drinkable. The abv is deceptive. I will buy this again but unfortunnately it will be in a bottle next time.

dubinsky, Dec 09, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a hazy yellow body with a nice white bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Just a little lacing.

Aroma is a combination of sweet citrus fruit with a typical belgian yeast aroma as well.

Nice tart flavor. I'm getting a substantial grape flavor reminding me of a light white wine with some complimentary yeast/bready notes.

Nice level of carbonation and slightly sweet malt backbone makes it easy on the palate.

Easy to enjoy but a fairly high abv. Another solid Belgian.

FanofHefe, Dec 09, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

A brilliant brew. My first experience with this beer was during the Belgium Beer Festival in 2005, and it has been one of my favorites ever since. At first pour, it appears somewhat cloudy with light particulates, and a benign but pleasant smell; however, once it hits your tongue, it is a pleasure to behold. A complex mix of fruit/malt flavors hit the palate, and joyfully dance from front to back to one of the smoothest finishes I've yet discovered. The aftertaste leaves your mouth watering for another drop of this ambrosia. Highly recommended.

xodin, Dec 05, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml served in a chilled glass

Appearance - very easy and clean pour. The beer pours with about 1 finger of head that quickly drops down to some island head. The beer is a clear amber with some fine sediments floating around. There isn't much carbonation.

Smell - the smell is typically what you would expect, some fruit presents...apple, citrus based, I can also pick up some banana. There is a yeast smell as well some hidden spices.

Taste - this is where this beer excels, smooth, full beer on tasting. There is a complete taste of spice and citrus to this beer with a light aftertaste. The beer is complete from the tip of your tongue to the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel - the added carbonation brings fwd a little bitter aftertaste. The banana and citrus also combine with a little stronger presents. The beer becomes a little fuller and offers a great mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This beer has a nice spot in my world! its a solid beer with a great rating. I am told its on tap in Ottawa now, SpinRSX and I will have to hunt it down and give our review!

Swedes21, Dec 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours like a typical Beligian Strong Pale Ale--Hence the "4" in that category. I'd like to give it more, but let's be honest, it's the damn APPEARANCE we're talking about here, so...whatever. I guess what I'm trying to say is: It looks like every other BSPA I've ever had. Not a terribly huge head, which was a little disappointing. Then again, I guess they can't all be Duvel.

The smell, however, is a different story entirely. So much fruit enters my nostrils: Apples, pears, maybe some...pineapple? Oranges? It's all fresh, and very citrusy. The smell is definitely the best aspect of the beer so far. The head's receded fully now, and I really should take a swig, but I'm just so preoccupied with sticking my nose in this damn flute that I can't bring myself to do it! I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. Ahh, drain pour, and I'll be done with it.

Juuust kidding.

My nose hasn't led me wrong, and now my tastebuds are taking the reins, and if the beer is any indication, they're doing a fine job. Crisp, fresh, borderline champagne-like...ahem...SPARKLING WHITE WINE like...oh wait, this is from Belgium, so...ugh, I'm just confusing myself, and I'm undoubtedly confusing you even more. The net-net: This beer tastes just like a BSPA should. It's tart. It's not quite as sweet as Duvel, which probably keeps it from getting a "5" in my eyes. But it's pretty darn perfect. It feels wonderful in the mouth. All of the carbonation makes me feel like I'm celebrating with this baby on New Year's. Really, I'm just settling in to a poker game with the boys. Hey, there's never a wrong time for a good beer!

I really enjoyed this one; glad I tried it. Although next time, I think I'll head back to my trusty Duvel. But this is a close second.

Chadpaq, Nov 28, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

On-tap (!) at Bouchon Las Vegas, enjoyed two glasses with Thanksgiving dinner in a unlabeled snifter.

1/2 finger white head quick dissipation with minimal if any lacing, the glass could have used a quick rinse before pouring. Light gold clear body, multiple streams of carbonation. Nose is dominated by the yeast, some coriander notes, a bit of floral hops, but not much fruity esters, perhaps a bit of lemon but not much. Taste mirrors nose, surprised how how un-fruity this was. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly above average effervescence, some stickiness but a really, really dry finish. Pretty drinkable, though in retrospect I'll have a Duvel next time. Wondering how this compares to the bottled version.

jdense, Nov 26, 2010

I had this beer dozens of times, but I had a bottle last night for the first time in a while and I decided to review it.

A- Golden copper color. Crystal clear with a fluffy white head

S- Ginger, clove, spiced apples

T- this beer always tastes different to me. This bottle had a nice ginger/peach thing going on with some slight clove. Bready undertones and a crisp hop finish.

M- well carbonated with a fluffy white head that will stick to your mustache.

D- this beer is excellent. I drank a whole 750mL to myself and could have drank more.

goatxpower, Nov 25, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

On draft at The Evening Star in Alexandria, VA.

The beer is a mostly clear orange with a huge cap of foam that stretches past the apex of the glass and comes to a point, resembling a snowy mountain top. The aroma is of citrus, Belgian yeast, and alcohol. Delirium Tremens is a good beer, but not a great one. The flavor is more forward than the aroma, with ripe citrus fruits, spices, clove, and alcohol. I find the alcoholic aspect to be too prominent. I would prefer the potency of this brew to be disguised in a bouquet of hops and/or Belgian yeast. The feel is medium bodied, with a warming finish. One of the most easily attainable Belgian beers in the United States, and one that I often see on draft. I'm sure I'll be drinking this again at some point.

Huhzubendah, Nov 24, 2010

First I love the packaging. The beer itself is amazing. The three yeast strains used come together to create creamy, well balance mouth feel. It has an aroma of citrus and spice which is quite pleasant. The flavors and aroma synergy really make this an A++ beer for me.

srbeezer, Nov 24, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a delirium tremens snifter glass.

cork opens with a healthy pop... pours a pale, straw yellow with a tall, two finger creamy white head... some haze to the body... decent retention, lacing.

smells is good, fairly typical of BSPAs with a strong fruit presence (apple, pear, grape, a bit of lemon zest), some belgian yeast and a bit of spice.

flavor follows through nicely with an increased showing of spice and a few peppery notes... really flavorful and tasty; great balance between the fruits, spices, and belgian yeast.

light to medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation. very drinkable.

perrymarcus, Nov 16, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

750 ml bottle - my second attempt at this beer as I had heard great things but was not impressed the first time.

This is a great looking beer - a nice head with a golden orange color. A fair amount of floating yeast in the glass.

The smell is good with a nice fruity flavor.

But the taste let me down. Its a very sweet beer, but I think the yeast is overpowering, making the aftertaste very rough. I was mostly left with a mess of flavor that I could not sort out - call it complex or just call it rough...

Having given DT two tries I will leave it to others to enjoy!

collinsroth, Nov 15, 2010