Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
joeysmokedporter

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Served in a Samuel Adams glass on draft.

A: Pours clear gold with a 2-finger rocky, persistent head. Lacing present as the beer is consumed.

S: Belgian yeast, pear, apple, sugar, grain; somewhat champagne-like.

T: The pear and apple flavor dominate. Less subtle than Duvel, the apple flavor borders on cider. Some sweet grain taste present, and the Belgian yeast character - a tart, dried-fruit-like taste, tends to balance the apple flavor. A slight alcohol flavor is also noticeable but definitely more in the background. Some bitterness at the end.

M: A light, effervescent feel to this beer.

D: Dangerously drinkable. For a relatively high alcohol beer this one flies under the radar, much like its counterpart, Duvel. I would like the pear/apple flavor to be more subtle but all in all a winner.

03-01-2008 12:54:33 | More by joeysmokedporter
tobyandgina

Nevada

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

I was impressed that a local bar actually had this one on tap.

White, frothy head when placed in front of me. The head lasted a good while, too. It also had a pretty clear body.

A very light malt, light hops smell. Pretty heavy in the yeast department. A hint of soap and must also present.

On the palate: a thick texture, medium body. The flavor duration was very short.

A little too yeasty for my taste.

02-29-2008 21:44:49 | More by tobyandgina
JackWeizen

Rhode Island

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

I picked up a 750ml corked bottle today. This stuff is golden in color, clear, and forms a big fluffy cloud-like head that has nowhere to go.

Smell is fruity. Belgian yeast, malt, some hops. The taste is subtle. Its sweet, then malty, then it dries out. I always get a champagne flavor from this stuff. Nothing much to talk about on hop flavors. Just the basic bitterness in the background to balance out the malt, which seems like mostly light base malt. I do get a bit of that sweet but dry candi sugar taste, as well as some spiciness, which may just be the yeast, but could be something else.

This stuff goes does quite well for me. Its highly carbonated, and refreshing. The alcohol doesn't get in your face. The beer is balanced. Its flavorful, but not confusing to the palette.

I recommend this beer to anyone who likes big Belgian ales.

02-27-2008 23:53:02 | More by JackWeizen
czfreeman

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

I have been looking foward to a Delerium brew for quite a while. Had a taste of the Nocturnium and procured this earlier. Pours out a superbly foamy head, rises out of the top of my chalice for a full 30 seconds at least. Active carbon ation bubbling away under the huge pillow the beer has produced. Wow what a snapshot BSPA. Somewhat hazy beautiful golden-straw color. Smells of yeast,tart lemony aromas. Biting on the tongue, flavors of lemony-apricots, cherries, slight burn in the throat. Very long sweetish aftertaste that is cut pleasently by the tartness and carbonation. Wow, one of the bes example of this style I have sampled thusfar I must say. I believe I will take the Noel out of cellaring and refrigerate for soon consumption. $16.99 for a four pack of this-Hell yes!

02-20-2008 05:56:47 | More by czfreeman
paulthebeerguru

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a Delirium snifter. Pours a straw yellow, with a haze to it. Beautiful solid white head on top that retains about a half of an inch, which eventually leads to great lacing. Sharp and sweet aromas, sweet breakfast malts, almost has a sour aroma reminding me of Calabaza Blanca from Jolly Pumpkin. It could just be an off bottle. Sweet flavors of raisins, honey, and winter spices. Some sour flavors in the finish. Very high carbontion, smooth mouthfeel, the sweets hit the palate perfectly. Very drinkable, and very enjoyable. I actually enjoyed the slight sourness.

02-19-2008 21:50:54 | More by paulthebeerguru
ojclark

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle in a Delirium Tremens glass. Clove, orange aroma with yeasty bready and alcohol components noticable as well. Slightly cloudy gold/orange color with thick, frothy, mostly lasting off-white head and some lacing. Lots of fine bubbles coming up from bottom of glass. Lots of alcohol in flavor along with bitterness, clove, and orange with slight sweetness and acidity. "Belgian" character was subdued but definitely present. Medium carbonation, Short, dry finish with aftertaste of alcohol, bitterness and slight sweetness/sourness.

02-17-2008 17:08:19 | More by ojclark
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in my Maudite snifter (11.2 oz. bottle). Poured a murky golden orange with a voluminous white head and bits of yeast floating in the solution. Head was extremely fluffy with excellent retention that finally subsided into a thin layer of foam and begian ringlets. Some lacing, but somewhat spotty. Spicy nose with the presence of clove, citrus fruit and belgian yeast. Taste similar to nose with the additional presence of lemon zest. Extremely lively mouthfeel. Very effervescent across the entire tongue and mouth, but a little too much burn. Alcohol was very well-hidden, with a clean, crisp astringency at the end. Very drinkable brew, but be careful because experience has taught me that a couple of these sneaks up on you pretty fast.

02-14-2008 01:20:02 | More by Jwale73
morimech

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy honey color with a large dense white head. Head retention is excellant. Heavy lacing is left on the glass as the beer is consumed.

The smell is dried fruit, Belgian yeast, and just the slightest hint of alcohol.

The taste mimics the smell except the yeast spice is more prevalent. There are nice fruit flavors like pears and apples. The alcohol is not detectable. A nice flavor combination that finishes slightly dry.

The body seems light with a good dose of carbonation. Goes down quickly which could be trouble considering the ABV.

This beer tastes great but the expense and ABV will make it a very infrequent purchase for me.

02-12-2008 23:53:31 | More by morimech
avalon07

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

By far, one of the oddest-looking bottles of beer around. Fortunately, it's actually a good beer and not just a novelty.

Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass, giving a golden color with a cloudy appearance. A bit more yellow in color than you see with some other Belgian strong pale ales, but nice-looking nonetheless. Had a good quarter inch of head on it that lasted just the right amount of time. Also had lacing that lasted throughout.

Had a very citrusy smell about it, along with some yeast.

This beer has an excellent taste. The fruit - maybe some peach - was the main attraction. Went down very smoothly, with not much bitterness.

There was a decent amount of mouthfeel, as you're apt to find in Belgian beers of this caliber.

This is definitely a drinkable beer. Very vibrant, refreshing and easy to drink.

02-12-2008 14:39:25 | More by avalon07
MrIncognito

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle from behind the bar into a Delirium Tremens tulip. I wish they had let me pour it for it was served to me with not much head.

This is my first belgian strong pale ale so I'm learning here.

A - beutiful hazy gold color with champaign bubbles. Great lacing.

S - fruity essence of orange and maybe some raspberry. I actually smell some wheat presence

T - Much like the smell, which I think is always good. It's like your nose and mouth are in harmony. I really taste some orange going on here with a hint of raspberry. This tastes very much like champaigne with grand marnier mixed in... but so much better. Dry like champaigne but not as dry. Crisp, refreshing. I don't taste the alcohol much at all. Gets less dry as it warms and the fruitiness mellows out.

M - feels like champaign with mouth-tingling carbonation. A great sipper. Dry, yet quenches.

This is a very interesting beer for me as it is my first Belgian strong Pale Ale. I really like it. Others around me at the bar thought it was wierd, but I'll definitely drink again.

02-07-2008 13:04:05 | More by MrIncognito
Homerbag

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Pours a pale yellow with big pillow head. Very nice in the pink elephant tulip.

Smells like fruit, belgian yeast and candi sugar, some alcohol heat prevalent.
Tastes somewhat malty, some spice, touch of sweetness. Alcohol is concealed nicely, this will creap up on you.
Feels crisp, thick enough to coat the tounge, thin enough to have another.

Very good beer, great example of Belgian pales.

02-04-2008 23:45:56 | More by Homerbag
hoegaardenhero

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

a: a nice deep amber/brown color with no head but that is to be expected because of the relatively high alcohol

s: hints of sweet dark malts, darker fruits, and some appley scents and hints of brandy alcohol

t: strong alcohol flavor but a really pleasant kind of alcohol; deep roasted malts; very brandy-like

m: a little syrupy but still pretty smooth, very lightly carbonated

d: very strong predominant alcohol flavor but at the same time the flavors are pretty enjoyable; definitely a good strong beer

02-04-2008 06:22:49 | More by hoegaardenhero
GJ40

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

I sampled this is a chalice. It pours beautifully. It has a clear, light golden color and a thick but not overwhelming head. It just looks perfect. The aroma was mild but very pleasant and typical of the style. The flavor was complex and stronger than I had expected.

I really enjoyed this and plan to follow up with a few more next time I make a run for Belgians.

02-03-2008 22:21:36 | More by GJ40
lowbrau68

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

Giant, fluffy head which dissipates suprisingly fast. Pale golden color w/lots of "chunks" (just how I like it!). Aroma is fruity w/notes of apple and citrus, also a bit spicy. Mouthfeel is light-medium, which I like in a Belgian as it tends to hold up better as the beer warms. Taste closely matches the aroma, citrusy and spicy, very refreshing, somewhat tart beer. Like most Belgian beers, drinkability is good given its complexity (and 8.5% ABV). If you like Duvel and other Belgians, chances are you'll like DT.

01-31-2008 01:31:33 | More by lowbrau68
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Cellared for six months.

Pours a clear yellow/light orange and bubbly as hell. Good fluffy head that retains quite well and leaves some lace. A few sediment chunks in here despite a careful pour. Nose is spicy with some fruitiness. Taste is fruity with good spice. fruits through the middle. A very dry finish with the slightest bit of vinous flavor. The mouthfeel is thicker than one would expect, which I prefer. Drinkability is good but a little bit abrasive b/c of the excessive carbonation. This is a great beer. I am a bigger fan of the nocturnum and the noel, but this one is also a classic decision when you just dont feel like shopping for a while in the beer store.

01-28-2008 03:21:07 | More by AKBelgianBeast
aquatonex

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

First timer at TJ Finley's, noticed the large elephant on the tap.

Pours a pale gold with a short white head, a fair bit of lacing as well. Nose is not as complex as I would expect, mostly floral hops, slight sweetness, alcohols. Taste follows with the same, mainly hoppy and heady. A good option for when you still want some good ABV but not all the weight of a normal Belgian.

01-27-2008 03:20:14 | More by aquatonex
CortexBomb

3.83/5  rDev -7%

Pour is light golden into my tulip, a light head on top. Smell is heavy on the yeast with some light pear-like aspects. Both fairly standard for the style.

The flavour is smooth drinking Belgian goodness: light fruits are present in abundance with granny smith apples and pears being the most prominent. These pair nicely with the Belgian style yeast. A nice example of the style.

The mouth is medium, not overly thin, but not remarkable either. Nothing particularly special or disappointing here. Drinkability, good. It's a tasty beer that I always enjoy having. I don't pick it up with great regularity, but it's certainly something that I always enjoy when I do.

The bottom line: If you like Belgian Pales then Tremens is a standard. It's not one of my absolute top tier favourites, but if you're in the mood for a Belgian pale, then you can do a lot worse than this.

01-24-2008 00:35:23 | More by CortexBomb
Gehrig

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I just tried this for the first time during lunch with my better half, enjoying Delirium over a Reuben and an extremely fresh fruit salad. The Delirium easily held up its end of the bargain. The appearance was good, but the head thin, perhaps from the waiter's pour into a big-bodied Delirium glass. I liked the color, a somewhat cloudy orange. Lots of fruit on the nose, with some ginger and cloves for spice that impressed. Magnificent taste, full of orange, pear, cherry, and a hint of banana, ideally blended with the spiciness. Well carbonated, the texture was smooth and slightly on the effervescent side. It would have been all too easy to order a second Delirium, but it was only 11:30 after all, and I had some work to do.

Great beer, one I'd be remiss not to both recommend and look to cellar.

01-23-2008 18:11:47 | More by Gehrig
slvrmon82

Delaware

4.45/5  rDev +8%

This is my first Delirium and man is this amazing.

A - A crystal clear Belgium white with a little bit of yeast bits for carbonation. Not thick and cloudy like most I have seen.

S - Very light and fruity with the hefewiezen smell to it.

T - Very smooth. Ridiculously smooth. Not heavy or yeasty. Amazing.

M - Blown away by all the bubbles and still has that creamy head to it. Delicious

D - Lots could be had of these. Hidden 8.5 % Very well.

Definitely wont be my last delirium.

01-17-2008 03:38:43 | More by slvrmon82
bigeyedfish

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A big review for me- the first beer I ever had that made me realize that beer could be otherworldly good, the first beer I ever got legally at Euglogy and my first Belgian beer. Really a big deal for me. 750 mL caged, corked bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

Dark-yellow-just-a-shade-below-golden color body with a finger of pure white head; the head is pretty quick to dissolve, leaving patches of half-a-finger head, patches of no head whatsoever and patches of some bubbles and a little head. Impressive, but not as much as when it comes from a tap. You can't win them all.

Really huge nose of mostly Belgian yeasts; some fungus-like elements linger within the nose, along with hints of what may or may not be mint and vanilla; their appearance is sporadic and never at the same time. Also, some brown sugar and the slightest hint of fruit, mostly coming from the Grannysmith Apple species, but also encompassing some Tangerine-ness.

A really smooth, refined, classic taste. After the initial flavor of yeast, some vanilla/tangerine in the mid palate which leads to a subtle finish of apple juice. Some hops/medicinal bitterness on the mid-palate, before the transition from yeast to tangerine/vanilla. If it's possible, it's almost too smooth a beer; a couple months ago I recommended this beer to a friend who has a similar palate/tastes (with the exception being his hatred for Flemish Sours equaling my love for the style) and he absolutely hated it, right in front of me, from the first sip (which to be honest, had a major damper on the beer I was drinking, Hop 15 IPA- so there's how you know I have a lot emotionally invested in this beer); his major complaint was that it was too lacking- I think that that is its greatest strength.

There is not much mouthfeel here; a lot of the fluffiness of the beer sits on the top of your mouth, and it leaves a pretty sweet (when used as an adjective in the California-surfer context, ie, 'let's go catch some sweet waves') coating that's more than enjoyable. There is not a lot of outer-palate grip and not even a lot of front-to-back top of the palate grip; like the taste, it's subtlety is its greatest strength. There's enough of a palate grip that you have to try to find it, but once you do you love it for its hard-to-findness.

Before I started to drink great beer, one of my friends told me that this was one of the better beer's the world of beer had to offer. This was a girl who is four/five years older than I am and has a palate in beer I respect more-than-significantly; while I was still unable to get into PG-13 movies she was bringing six packs of microbrew to college parties; in short, she, without knowing it, served as a guide to the beer advocate I am today. I can't write about this beer without straying into a mini-autobiography, mentioning my closest friends in the same breathes as my favorite beers. Whether it serves as the reason to start drinking good beer, the first beer I was legally served at one of the better beer bars in all of the country or a constant I can always go to when I want to be reminded of why I drink beer, this is a beer that never fails to deliver. Can I drink it all night? Abso-frekin-lutely. Will I regret it in the morning? (see the first rhetorical question). Do I care? Not so much. In the end, as a chick flick once said, you just want to be with the ones you love. You get a 5.0 Delirium Tremens.

01-17-2008 03:32:31 | More by bigeyedfish
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

A purchase made while on a trip to Milwaukee this past summer.

Appearance - Pale golden brown with foamy white head that stands two inches tall within the snifter. There is a medium amount of carbonation present and yeast is floating throughout. I'm not of fan of the yeast floats but I love the bottle which pulls my score for this strong pale ale up.

Smell - The scent is malty and a subtle fruitiness.

Taste - The flavor is a firm malt. The ending has an alcohol taste to it but it still finishes very well. The taste is smooth and easy to sip.

Mouthfeel - It feels to be packed with carbonation. However, I think that feeling is just the texture of the beer. I think the Huyghe family was going for this texture. I think it actually helps bring out the flavor and the 'head' in this Belgian.

~ This is the second Delirium I've had and I have to say, it will not be the last. It is a fine beer and I urge others to enjoy it as well. WJVII and drizzam, that means you guys!

01-16-2008 02:22:58 | More by cdkrenz
HombreWing

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

11.2oz bottle...glass- modified Duvel

Eyes: 3 finger light billowy head..leaves quickly.
Chunks abound but I hesitate for bad marks as it dosn't really interfere w/ the hazy golden colour that would be w/o the chunks

Nose: Perfumey hops and honey malts

Tongue: sweet honey malts...balanced by yeast spice/very very subtle autolysis and the lower Alpha Acidic hops. Finishes dry on the top of the tongue and tangy on it's sides all at the same time ...niiiice. For it's strength, no alcohol noticeable

Texture: Thin for it's ABV

Overall experience: I would love to be able to afford this beer all the time...but I can't

01-12-2008 04:49:08 | More by HombreWing
MisterClean

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

330 ml from local BJs. I just love the fact they serve belgians there and the menu is secret from most patrons. Poured nice golden color with slightly foamy, white head. Nose had hint of bananas with cooked cane sugar. Taste was excellent! Cane sugar, granny apple finish with, that slight bit of belgian sourness. The mouthfeel was warm, but not of alcohol. Definitely would drink another if I didn't want to sample other Belgians.

01-11-2008 02:10:49 | More by MisterClean
beerbutcher

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

on tap at the great lost bear in delerium tremens tulip with one 1/2 finger bright white head atop a rich golden beer. head descends slowly with slight lacing.

the aroma is softer than i remember of the bottle version. slight herbal hop aroma and very clean fruitiness with dry peppery phenols.

the taste is quite mellow. theres a mild fruity/malty body with the sugary midpalate, though not sweet. it fleshes out and the fruity/herbal hop tang grabs on and turns faintly floral. it's just firm enough to hold it together, not dominating. where's the alcohol? the finish is lovely, dry, and refreshing with a slight trace of sweetness backed by a judicious hop balance.

has the consistency of a beer half it's strength without the kick of alcohol i tend to expect. this beer is dangerously drinkable, really. incredibly light on it's feet with great subtlety and deft balance. oh, and a slight whiff of belgian funk.

01-10-2008 02:40:25 | More by beerbutcher
armock

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a white head

S - Is of fruits malt and yeast

T - Is a little fruity with malt nicely balanced

M - There is a lot of carbonation in this brew

D - This is a good after dinner beer to sip and relax with worth a try

01-05-2008 23:26:53 | More by armock