Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Gold, translucent, very steady frothy head. Impressive appearance.

S: Light and fresh yeast

T: Oh my. Strong light sugarcane up front. Toasty biscuits with orange marmalade. Aftertaste of citric hop bitterness.

M: You can feel the viscosity on the tongue but it is not too much for drinkability to be hurt. Medium carbonation level helps make it interesting.

O: Huge beer on the palate, very enjoyable drinking experience.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Wine Connection for this freebie! Label notched for January 2010.

I bumped my appearance rating up simply because the ceramic bottle and reflective, colorful label are awesome. The beer itself pours a deep golden yellow with a tall, airy head.

Smells rich with golden raisin, slightly chardonnay, clove, pepper, yeast, and an alcohol finish.

Very in tune with the nose. Sweet golden raisins, various spice notes like clove, some banana notes as well as a warming finish of alcohol.

Very bubbly but enjoyable. Medium bodied.

This is a great beer in a really cool bottle. Very complex nose with great even flavors. These guys have been around for over 350 years for a reason. Get this.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

330ml bottle, best before april 2014

A- Transparent light orange, with very active carbonation visible. 1 finger and a half creamy white head that has awesome retention and lacing

S- Aroma is earthy (yeast), but more on the herbal than on the musty side. Earty but yet fresh with a fruity feel (lemon, orange peel) that also has some spicy/phenolic notes from the alcohol

T- As the smell suggested, freshly yeasty (can't really find better words to describe this) among a fading caramel malt base. Strong spicy/phenolic notes of plain alcohol, clove, maybe pepper, on the back of things. Some light fruity notes as well (orange). Finishes quite dry in spite of the dominant yeast presence, with a pleasant hint of bitterness

M- Medium body with maybe a faint hint of roastiness. Carbonation is really active but never gets harsch, bringing a soft, champagne-like crispness. A warming beer as alcohol is clearly detectable, but never gets annoying

O- May not be your beer if you are not in love with belgian yeast, but i sure am. A complex but yet incredibly drinkable beer

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Was in J'Town, PA at Tulunes and tried the Delirium Tremens that they have on tap...and unfortunately I dont think their CO2 tank was working properly...The color was clear copper, but absolutely not carbonation or head....a dead beer. The smell included spice, clove and some banana/citrus. The taste had a boost from the ABV, but their was definite spice/clove taste. Mouthfeel sucked since it was a dead beer and the higher ABV did not make this a session. Overall though the flavor and smell was good.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Spectacular! One of my favorite beers. Beautiful color and wonderful taste. The high carbonation compliments to complex pallet and aromas. If poured correctly, it has an impressive, yet subtle, head. Initially has a sweet and fruity taste, and it closes with a mild hop and bitter taste. Lots of spice and flavor, truly an enjoyable beer!

2.7/5  rDev -34.5%

The pour was pale and had quite a head as I expected. The smell was so complex, I didn't know how to describe it. One thing I know is that it did not prepare me for the taste. The taste was very strongly yeasty and that did not sit well with me. There were also clove and fruity hops present, but the yeastiness dominated. That immediately prevented me from enjoying this beer. I do not like yeasty beers, so I can't say anything good about this one. If you don't like a dominating yeasty flavour either, then don't even try this one. If you do, I guess you can give it a try. It was a bit sour, even. Very much not my thing.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Review from notes at World of Beer - Fort Myers on 9/29/11.

Poured on draft into a Delirium Tremens glass.

Appearance: Pours a medium gold with a 2 finger foamy white head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast and cloves with a touch of other spices.

Taste: Belgian yeast and clove up front followed by sweet fruit and black pepper in the middle before ending with a mildly bitter finish. Aftertaste is peppery and bittersweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Good drinkability. The elevated ABV% would keep you from drinking multiples, but it's still very good.

Overall: Very good beer overall. I think I prefer this one on draft, which is saying something. Definitely worth trying.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Straw colored and crystal clear with a massive and creamy white head. Fine carbonation is visible.

Aroma: Slightly malty, moderately spicy, with a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Excellent for style, but with a disappointing finish. Banana and clove elements are present, but not overdone.

O: excellent example of style, although it 'pales' in comparison to Delirium Nocturnum.

{slight adjustment based on an on-tap tasting in May 2012}

3.83/5  rDev -7%

Notches on label indicate March 2010.

Transparent yellow against my review screen, but against my off-white wall it's definitely orange. @nd glass is cloudy. 4 to 5 finger white head giving light, but thick lacing. Awesome carbonation. Very fine, as in very tiny bubbles throughout, with a smokey tower of bubbles rising in the center.

Earthy and spicy Belgian yeast merged with lemon and some moderately overripe grapefruit.

Sweet upfront, but then the tastes pf lemon, bitterness and alcohol overbalance a bit. Perhaps I should have left the sediment in the bottle.

Medium to medium-thick with a moderate bite. Alcohol burn is a bit harsh at first, but mellows by the end.

Overall, the beer leaves a good impression, but I believe a bit more maturity would do well for this one.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a reddish golden amber color with huge amounts of carbonation coming from the bottom of the class causing the head to actually grow to be about 3 fingers (I poured pretty slowly, believe it or not). Some thick foamy lacing left behind.

Aroma: Smells 'dirty' with a sour floral scent. Interesting, but hard to pinpoint the exact smells.

Taste: Fruit (almost like juice) supper sweet, bananas, pineapple, minty wintergreen tic-tac taste, honey nectar and a bit of maltiness

Palette: Medium body with a crisp floral finish.

Overall: Good blend of refreshing flavors that come together for a sharp and refreshing beer.

Thanks to my buddy Carl for this coveted sample this one shows a bright pale golden yellow color that is just jumping with speed demon bubbles and a big frothy white head and decent lacing. The aroma is a wheaty, earthy clove, pleasant and likable. The flavor brings apricot banana and a kiss of citrus. Of course there is a clove touch as well. It’s tart and lively in feel with medium body. It’s very drinkable and smooth. A classic.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First time I met it was in a Belgian pub in Holland in a snifter at a good temperature.

Excellent design and unique logo.

Heaps of head. Intense sweet fruit flavour and sweet spices hitting you instantly. High carbonation very balanced with the yeast. Simply delicious and easy to drink for 8.5 % - became very jolly afterwards!

My favourite Belgian elephant!

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this served from on tap into a small goblet in the snifter. The bartender left the head on the beer and didn't pour it out. I had about three fingers of head. It was fluffy, and it stayed on the beer for quite a while.

The beer is an orange, coppery color with a decent of inclusions. It looks like snow inside the glass.

The smell off the top is banana, pineapple, and some belgian esthers from the yeast.

The beer is pretty sweet and fruity. Of course, the belgian yeastiness comes through as well. I also had a decent amount of alcohol presence in the beer. It is pretty strong.

I had a bomber of this about a year ago, and I was drunk after. I recommend this beer, but if you get a bomber; make sure you share it.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A: lots of lace. Clear and straw colored.

S: spicey with light banana and pineapple notes.

T: spicey up front with a bitter fruit finish, banana notes. The yeast character is excellent.

M: very smooth. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied. semi dry finish.

Overall: complex beer, excellent yeast character and decently drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Opaque white plastic (I think) bottle with black specks. Corked and caged, with blue foil covering the top.

Mostly clear pale golden color with a torrent of bubbles rushing up from the bottom to form the foamy white head. Orange zest and spicy phenols in the nose. Fruity esters of orange, pineapple, pear, and melon complement the pale sweet malts. Alcohol is well-disguised, and this one can really sneak up on you if you're not careful. Medium-bodied and crisp with an almost champagne-like mouthfeel. Very refreshing.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into my Stella glass...

This was my first Delirium and I didnt quite know what to expect. It poured a nice golden yellow with about half of a fingers worth of foam, which disipated pretty quickly. They smell was amazing but I had to sniff it several times as I was trying to think of what it smelled like... It came to me that this beer reminded me alot of Hoegarden. But it tasted 2x better than a Hoegarden. In my opinion this is a great beer and I can not wait to hae another.

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%

I really can't wait to drink this beer again because I only had one. Purchased it at Frites Belgian bar and restaurant in Hong Kong. At around US$11.50 per beer, It might be awhile before I have another.

It was a fantastic beer that was served in a Delirium Tremens glass but a bit too cold. I had to let it warm and once it did...wow. It has a great mouthfeel and I noticed some cherry flavors and even a bit of hops . It had a long, sweet finish which I loved. I can't stress this enough, this beer needs to be served at almost room temperature in order to really "taste" it. I wish that I wouldn't have drank half of the beer before I decided to let it warm. Overall an awesome beer. I may review it higher once I have some more experience with it.

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Interesting bottle. A pale, champagne-like colour under a mammoth three fingers of bubbly head fizzing away like rice bubbles. Head has excellent retention and spots of lace coat the glass.

S - Sour, acidic pineapple and champagne.

T - Sweet pears and rockmelon with champagne. A bit of heat as the abv is ever present.

M - Highly carbonated and thin in body.

O - Got better and more complex as it warmed. My bad there as I opened it straight out of the fridge. I can see how some people love this, but it's not for me really.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330mL bottle (17:48 L03-10327; label notches: 4 10 13) poured slowly and gently into a tulip. I learned my lesson w/ the last DT I poured from this confounding opaque bottle when I wound up with a glass full of yeasty chunkies.

Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice clean white head and carbonation erupting from the laser etching @ the bottom of my Duvel glass.

Aroma is clean fruity Belgian yeast.

Taste is bright, fruity, and spicy with a slight mustiness. Nice smooth dry mouthfeel.

Here's another great Belgian beer I should always keep in stock.

2.76/5  rDev -33%

A - Light yellow. A dense yellow going on inside. Not heavy at all. Nice head.

S&T - Fruity. sweet malts, sweet essences going on! bananas, apples, pears! a wheat light feeling.

M - Light, almost watery. very thin. Non sticky at all.

O - Light beer. Banana, sweet nut flavors. Thin, easy to drink!

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

A bottle at Collins Pub in Seattle.

A: Light straw liquid with excellent clarity which had a 1 1/2" white head that dissipated slowly and left a nice lacing.

S: Pepper, citrus hops, and yeast.

T: Peppery up front which transitioned to citrus hops. It had a slightly yeasty finish, but overall I found this beer to be beautiful and subtle.

M: Thin viscosity with a very light level of fine carbonation.

O: A beautiful easy drinking Belgian Strong Pale Ale. World class.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

A-Staw yellow, thick yet fizzy white head. Some slight cascading, but no lacing to speak of.

S-Noble hops, grass notes, Belgian yeast, and some lemon zest.

T-Bright fruity flavors consisting of lemon and white grape fruit juice. Alcohol and Belgian yeast are present. It has a slight hop bitterness with some grassy notes and malt sweetness. This beer is crisp and refreshing. The Belgian yeast isn't overpowering and the hops aren't too grassy like Duvel is in my opinion. It is simply a delicious and complex beer.

M-Carbonated and crisp. Perhaps a little too carbonated.

D-Even given this beer's slightly high abv. I gave it the highest score in regards to drinkability. It is delicious and complex, but it doesn't burn out your palate like some beers. I think one could easily drink a 750 ml bottle of this and enjoy the entire contents with no problem. Therefore, it has a supreme drinkability.

Overall, this is my favorite version of the style. I like it better than Duvel which seems to grassy for me. This beer is a true classic as far as flavor is concerned.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into 6 oz. Samplers to share with the wife.

Poured correctly and received a lot of head, had to stop or it would have overflowed, continued the pour after 2 minutes to fill the tiny glasses. The head was very white and lasted a long time and laced well.

Aroma was like I expected a Belgian to be, Dark fruits, Bannana, but some citrus in there.

Tasted just like it smelled but with a slightly drier finish that Chimay, or La Fin Du Monde.

This was a light to medium feel in the mouth and cleaned out nicely.

Overall, hmmm, it was good but still reflecting on the price of $4.89 a 12 oz. bottle. In that light compared to a Bomber of Chimay Blue they are similarly priced, and Chimay is better. Still it was a nice beer and I wouldn't turn it down, and will buy it again.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at a weird BBQ joint/Mexican restaurant/bar in Culver city California. Served to me in a long tulip glass.

Appearance: Nice golden color, looks a lot like something produced by BMorC. Lacing is nice.

Aroma. Yeah, doesn’t look so hot but it smells good! should be just fine.

Mouthfeel: This beer feels good in the mouth just the right amount of carbonation.

Taste: Very nice Belgium beer presence, lots of fruit and spices.

Overall: A good beer but I thought it was kind of expensive for what I got. I had it at 10$ for a pint, if I can get it at 6-8 then I would be more than willing to buy again otherwise I’d rather drink something else!

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fantastic beer. This has been in my celar for over 3 year. This brew has been waiting for a honest person to truley make this brew what it is. A great brew a must have.This is a great tasting brew and well worth trying again.This ride is a really nice one.

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe