Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

I had this for the first time over dinner this evening hamburger steaks, caramelized onions, brown gravy. The name made me smile along with the clever packaging. I purchased a four-pack of the 11.2 oz bottles, poured into a large wine glass.
It poured a hazy yellow-gold color with slightly less head than I had anticipated. Snowflake bits of yeast sediment floating in the carbonation. Larger bubbles than most others I have had in the category.
Very pleasant smells of yeast, understated citrus, and even more subtle leather smells.
Tastes like a Belgian Strong Pale Ale should. Grain, yeast, citrus and hops. All balanced so that none drowns out the others.
Feels light for the alcohol percentage. The alcohol taste was not at all overpowering. Smooth, soft, medium carbonation.
Very drinkable, effortless. Could have one after another, after another. Although tonight I stopped at two. Not my favorite in the category, but DT is a very good to excellent beer. Well worth the $9 for the four pack. I will definitely purchase again and recommend to friends.

Cheers!

holycrapamoly, Jan 05, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

bottle poured into tulip.

Poured a hazy, yellow straw colored body. Large, pillowy off-white head. Retention is great, lacing is great as well. Fairly large amount of carbonation.

Aroma is very clovey. Citrus (orange, lemon zest) and the prototypical Belgian yeast is also in there. Somewhat lacking... it's a very light aroma. There's something I can't put my figure on that's somewhat unpleasant. Perhaps the overwhelming clove.

The taste is a lot better than it smells, however. The citrus comes to the forefront and melds very well with the yeast. Fresh wheat, grain in there as well. Sugary, sweet... but balanced with cloves and slight hops towards the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, it went down smooth. Carbonation is lacking a teeny bit but it's not something that would depreciate the brew. A nice alcohol warmth compliments the finish. Interesting beer, I've had better Belgian strongs however. Again, there was just something about the smell that put me off - I can't place it. Worth a try though.

TMB0424, Jan 04, 2009
4.13/5  rDev 0%

Poured into my official Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy straw color. Medium heavy carbonation pours into a 2 finger foamy white head. Very slowly settles, but a layer of foam remains. Floating particles dance around the body of the brew. Carbonation continues to rise throughout. Pretty substancial lacing.

S: Yeast, wheat, citrus hints and clove.

T: Very prominent yeast and wheat flavor. Sharp lemony hoppy flavor, with a hint of sweetness and spice.

M: Strong alcohol taste. Strong, sharp yeast to start, hoppy and citrus finish, all on a base of wheaty goodness. Still has a light feel.

D: Good drinkability. Good flavor, light feel. A pleasure to consume.

Nice complex flavor, good atmosphere, really strong feel. Strong alcohol taste, but a light feel in the mouth. Good sipping brew. Great quaff. If you like this style, get it.

bmwats, Jan 04, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this in Spartanburg, SC

What a crazy looking bottle. Love dancing, pink elephants!

The beer poured a pale yellow with a 3 finger, white head.

There aroma is mild but smells of grain and light yeast.

The taste certainly is of banana and clove with a medium to strong bitter taste during and after a sip. You also get a taste of sour from the yeast. It's kind of like a wheat beer a saison and an IPA at the same time with a high alcohol content. I liked it quite a bit.

The carbonation in my bottle was medium-high, which I also liked. All-in-all, a very fine find!

Tucquan, Jan 03, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Served from the 25 ounce bottle into a snifter type glass. Cork stated 2007, could have been an older batch.

a - A beautiful golden color with particles floating throughout. Poured with a 2 inch head that lasted for awhile and left I nice film.

s - fruity- lemon, wheat, other scents I can't put my finger on

t - exceptional flavor, for 8.5% this is such a tasty beer, had that classic belgian wheat flavor to me, love the belgian taste

m - extremely smooth, a little carbonation but very enjoyable

d - amazing drinkability, could drink all night and probably wake up really hungover, this beer sneaks up on you though, so watch out

Will buy again.

cvaypai, Jan 01, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

750 ml bottle poured into Chimay goblet.

A - Pours a beautiful straw yellow/gold with a huge fluffy white head that lasts for a long time. Somewhat hazy from the bottle conditioning. Impressive lacing.

S - Yeast, banana, clove, pear, vanilla. Very sweet smelling.

T - Tastes as it smells - sweet and delectable. Candy sugars, slight hint of hops, yeast notes. Alcohol is hidden nicely - only a hint even though it's 9%. Sweet, sugary aftertaste.

M - Medium body, semi-syrupy due to the alcohol. Good amount of carbonation.

D - Incredibly drinkable, especially for such a high ABV. So good that you have to watch yourself.

An excellent beer - highly recommended!

gciccarelli, Dec 30, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

This has been one of my favorites for a long time. I'm having one after a long hiatus so here's a fresh impression.

A beautiful golden straw color is capped by a long-lasting soapy head. A slightly sour smell and taste that is hard to describe but once you smell it again you know what it is. This beer will leave you feeling completely stoned.

mattloaf1, Dec 29, 2008
4.13/5  rDev 0%

direct from the distributor in beijing (vandergeeten).

no importer's label this time. the brewer's label seems to indicate a "best by" of june 2011

crystal clear, golden blond with deep straw tones. decent head soon fades to just a wispy layer and a creamy, foamy ring. moderate lacing which improves in the later half.

aroma starts with yeasty esters of pear, white grapes, and slightest hint of banana. notes of fresh cake batter and faint vanilla, followed by whiff of noble hops, then finishes with more esters and phenols.

taste also begins with fruity note, then some candy sweetness (plus that faint banana/tropical note), and then an intense mix of hop grassiness and moderate bitterness, plus phenols, along with a very faint acidity. this carries into a semi-dry finish that lingers with esters and light phenols, and gets slightly cleaned up by a flash of alcohol.

smooth, not thin. moderate carbonation for body.

a flamboyant beer that isn't as balanced and refined as duvel, but is still tasty and dangerously alluring, esp. with its seductive fruity esters.

tai4ji2x, Dec 28, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I was cleaning out a closet today and I found this beer review that I had written earlier this year.

Delirium Tremens is a hazy, quite sparkling, golden ale with small particles floating in it. It has a foamy white head that shows good retention and leaves good lacing. The aroma has notes of sugar, barnyard, leather, nutmeg and candy, like Mike & Ikes. It is medium-full bodied; soft and smooth with a dry finish. It has a very full flavor that's slightly sweet. There are notes of leather, black pepper, apple and phenol. It has a warm, boozy aftertaste. Quite classic!

yesyouam, Dec 28, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +9%

A- Hazy transparent bubbly liquid with a nice big foamy head.

S- Very nice relaxing smell. potent floral hops along with fruity belgian yeast. Honey, rose, and farmy scents also noticed

T- Taste is great. No flavor is overpowering and the overall effect is a brilliant combination of fresh floral hops along with farmy/fruity yeast and earthy/sweet malts. Some bubblegum sweetness

M- Not overcarbonated. Well done with a moderate body

D- Drink extremely well for the large 8.5%ABV

EnojysAnyBeer, Dec 27, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

750ml poured into Gouden Carolus goblet

Appearance: Somewhat hazy pale yellow color with plenty of bubbles and some yeast particles floating around. Half inch white head.

Smell: Reminds me of a triple. A lot of light crisp fruit aromas such as apple, grape, pear, and apricot all blend together with a slightly bready background.

Taste: Very juicy apple and grape flavors right away. The pear and apricot are there but not as prominent in the taste as they are the smell. Also some sour white grape with a very subtle biscuit like background. The fruit flavors really take the center stage though.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, light bodied, but still manages to coat the tongue.

Drinkability: High ABV but light body means this beer is deceptive. I'll probably be a bit tipsy after finishing this bottle so I'll have to eat a substantial meal to level myself out.

Overall: I've seen this brew advertised as "the best beer in the world" but I have to respectfully disagree. Delirium tremens is really quite nice for the style and has it's complexities but I've had superior Belgian ales and even better American made Belgian style ales. The being said this is still a damn good beer and I recommend it, especially if you're into Belgians.

optiontwo, Dec 25, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

A=good looking golden brew with white head and major lacing.

S=fruity, maybe orange, almost tropical

T=I have never had this type of beer before, and I was fairly impressed. First impression was that it would be too hoppy for my leanings, but as the drink went on , I appreciated it more.

M= perfectly smooth and none too carbonated

D=a bit too pricey but otherwise good if not slightly heavy.

sonicdescent, Dec 19, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

4/21/09
Revisiting Delirium Tremens, I find that my palate is much happier with it and I'm revising my score accordingly. The Belgian earthiness has won me over. It's a really nice strain of yeast, and we're fortunate to have it so widely distributed. I really don't know what I was talking about describing the flavor as orange soda-like. On the other hand, I was trying a fresh small bottle before, and now, I'm having a large bottle which has been in my cellar for at least six to eight months. At any rate, this beer is great. Now, I just need to do a Belgian beer tournament, so that I can compare it to the competition.

12/19/08
One of my least favorite popular Belgian beers. This is very good beer, but I can't see ever buying it again. I've had it probably six or so times, and I always have a similar opinion. First, the beer is over-carbonated. It's not a bad looking beer, but the head generally doesn't always stick around when it's actually in the glass, as opposed to when it's crawling its way out of the top of the bottle. To a certain extent, the beer looks and tastes like orange soda. I do enjoy the flavor, but it's very one note, in my opinion. On top of that, comparisons to the Duvel are hard to avoid, and DT loses in that matchup. DT seems to lose a matchup against any of the top widely distributed Belgians. Ok, any of the strong Belgians, oh Leffe. Anyway, I love the bottle and the glass. I don't know how it ages, but I would be happy to try a vintage bottle to see if the complexity goes up as the age does. This is a beer that is simply good while most of its competition is great.

popery, Dec 19, 2008

A - Tall puffy white head, what else would you expect from a belgian? semi cloudy golden color. Minimal lacing.

S - Sour hops, roses, apple, and pear. refreshing.

T - Pungent fruity off the bat, flowers apple and pear primarily. then the sour hops kick in and after the swallow it leaves a dry not yet ripe pear aftertaste. I noticed the alcohol on the way down and during the aftertaste, but it was a welcome flavor.

M - The mouthfeel is rather like eating a granny smith or an unripe pear, but very juicy, mouth watering. A bit dry on the finish.

D - I drank a 750ml bottle of this, and that was plenty. I finished it gladly, however I wouldn't drink more than two 12 ouncers of this unless I was really in the mood and willing to spend some money.

Deingeist, Dec 19, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a thin translucent yellow, big white head, bubbly, already disappointed by the dillluted color and the false promise of "best beer ever" on the label.

Smelled of slightly sour hops, corked beer so it may have gone bad.

Taste was light and slightly sour.

Satisfying carbonation, evanescent and light on the palate.

Quaffable with a light nose, but ultimately unsatisfying for the price

Pup, Dec 12, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml bottle, poured into Duvel glasses.

Appearance - Wow! Lots of floaties! Not just some, but a whole bunch, like OJ with extra pulp. A bit unappetizing, to be honest. Color is good, head is good, but wow, the floaties look really weird. Had to check the other reviews to make sure I didn't have a bad bottle.

Smell - fantastic. Like a good champaign, lots of fruit, lots of apple and pear. Literally mouth watering aroma.

Taste - starts of strong, with an explosion of fruit tastes, with a strong malty sweetness. The swallow brings out the hops, and the aftertaste is like a bite of fresh pear. Absolutly no flavor hint that this is 8.5 ABV.

Mouthfeel - luscious. Smooth and juicy, pairing very well with the flavors and the aromas. The carbonation is fairly strong, but not biting.

Drinkability - very good, a beer this smooth, this fresh, this light, and this tasty would be easy to drink several of; although with the steep ABV and price, it might be a decision you would regret in the morning.

WalrusJockey, Dec 10, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Call me a sucker for a cool looking bottle. Had been meaning to try this one for a while..

Pours a foamy 3 finger white head, with slight haze in the body. Dark yellow in color with a great deal of floating grains

In the nose, there is tons of banana and orange peel, which gets smoothed out very nicely by more then refreshing lemony scent. It all blends together so well.

A splash on the palate reveals banana immediately. Finishes with strong orange. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of over the top orange, but this is far from that. Lemon is slightly noticeable all the way through, again really pulling it all together.

Incredibly crisp from start to finish, with an overwhelming sense of refreshment, but a little bit too bubbly

CoolJosh, Dec 10, 2008

I let this bottle warm up for about 15 minutes before opening it.

A: Golden straw color. Pours with lots of carbonation and bottles with a thick fluffy head that sticks around. Pretty cloudy with lots of floaties... not hugely appetizing, but it doesn't totally turn me off. I didn't notice this before from this beer on tap. Maybe I poured too vigorously...

S: Straw, sweet pale malt, fruity yeast esters, reminiscent of champagne.

T&M: Light body with fairly high carbonation, tingles on my tongue. Slight sweetness from the pale malt, spiciness from the hops that adds to the tingle from the carbonation. Tart and fruity yeast esters linger at the back of my tongue.

D: Higher on tap than in the bottle. This is one to sip and savor, but I could definitely put down a few glasses at the beginning or end of a session.

PiecefulToker, Dec 08, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Original Rating Date:
August 30, 2008

Pours a cloudy pale. Yellowish. Super creamy head that flows out of the bottle during the pop, without even shaking it. Smells and looks like a hefeweizen. Tastes banana, tropical. Citric. Extremely refreshing, great summer beer.

Vendetta, Dec 07, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Standard golden beer, very translucent with a very weak head but very effervescent.

S: Since the head was so weak, it was pretty hard to get a nice smell. But it was interesting: some honey sweetness, some peppers and cloves.

T: It was good, nothing to be very excited about. Comes up front with the peppery feel. Then there are some cloves and the sweetness kicks in last. Nice hop bitterness that wasn't very present in the smell. Alcohol was wonderfully hidden.

M: Very nice here, I didn't expect that. Very creamy ale at the right temperature with a medium to full mouthfeel, which is very high for a beer of that style.

D: Alcohol is high, but nicely hidden. I wouldn't have trouble drink some of them but the high ABV will slow me down some day.

flipper2gv, Dec 06, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a corked bomber.

Appearance - Pours a pale, clear gold with a 1 1/2 finger bright white, fluffy head. Highly carbonated and almost dizzying to watch. There's a small amount of lacing, but it's barely there. The head dissipates to a thin covering by the time I finish half a glass.

Smell - A really strong, peppery, effervescent scent with some light malts. It's surprisingly pungent.

Taste - Some upfront banana taste and a sharp, peppery sort of taste. It's not necessarily peppery in taste, but it has the same effect on my mouth as eating a lot of black and white pepper on food does. It finishes with just a slight alcohol taste and some crisp malts that last in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Really light and clean. It's really carbonated, but considering that it still goes down pretty smooth.

Drinkability - Even highly carbonated, it goes down fairly easy. With such a crisp, clean taste, it's hard not to drink this faster. At the same time, though, there is a lot of carbonation, and the higher ABV keeps it away from being sessionable.

HitokiriNate85, Dec 04, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Straw colored. Huge head. Large effervescence. Floaties in this beer, didnt know it was bottle conditioned. Would rate higher without the floaties. They look like gelatanous beer clumps.

Smell: I don't care much for the aroma of candi sugar, and that's all this presents. Still not as rancid as I usually encounter with this type of belgian.

Taste: Better than expected. Not as cidery as I thought it would be. Light hop bitterness in the finish. Very sweet. Taste is light but very flavorful. Nice.

Mouthfeel: Excellent. Thick yet balanced with the carbination. Well done.

Drinkability: Nice beer but I'm not as impressed as others are. I wish it didn't have the floaties as it really turned me off to drinking it.

Squelch, Dec 04, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Golden and clear in color, nice foamy head

S - Aroma of yeast, malt and fruit ester (banana), alcohol is surely apparent

T - Bit like the smell, great combination of yeasty breadiness and sweet malts, little bit hoppy in final

MF - Medium body, with slightly a good dry finish and sharpness, over carbonnated

D - One of my favorite, worth a try, well-balanced, really in the style

Clubchat, Dec 01, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Been looking forward to this one for a while, and with a name like Delirium Tremens it's got to be good right? Don't know, but we'll soon find out. A deep, dense off-white head rises quickly above this golden brew. From the middle of the bottom of the tulip a column of swift bubbles rises which keeps the head intact for a while. Circling the bubbles is an army of sediment soldiers. After the head decides to fade a deep sheet of pocked lacing is left behind. Smells bready, sweet, spicy and phenolic. Tastes of sweet malts, dried fruits, florals, yeasts and bananas. There's a good, welcomed hit of alcohol heat in the throat. Mouth-feel is medium to full-bodied, and there's big carbonation as the aforementioned stream is still going fairly strong, although a bit abated. Excellent.

stephens101, Nov 26, 2008
4.13/5  rDev 0%

The colour is golden and the head creamy and light, the first sip warms the throat and belly like an old woodstove does a log cabin.

Delirium is lightly hopped and surprisingly malty for such an airy, sunshine beer. Goes down exceptionally smooth considering the high abv. Litterly could drink it all night (might be in rough shape though) The first smell is fruity almost hefe-like. Also has a first taste of bananna like a hefe as well. I've had it on tap and in the bottle ( perferred on tap) Nice and creamy. I can't wait to try the Noctrum

cleeze, Nov 24, 2008