Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
domtronzero

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a cloudy, golden amber with a huge rocky white head. Tons of lacing left all over the glass, lasting until the finish. Aroma is crisp and light. Full of fruity esters and a nice grassy hop presence. Taste is malty and spicy and full of the typical Belgian flavors: banana, clove, spice, but it isn't too strong and isn't a fully complex as some of the other Belgian strong ales. Definite hop bitterness is noted, and is well balanced by the sweetness of the Belgian flavors. Mouthfeel is great. Crisp, refreshing, and exceptionally smooth, despite the high abv. An excellent beer for drinking any time (just be careful - a magnum bottle is enough to make me very happy for the evening).

09-02-2007 01:13:19 | More by domtronzero
Sorgasm

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

ordered one at my local bier house. came with its own pink elephant stemware. poured a very attractive light golden color with very nice head.

pleasant smell of green bananas and citrus.

honestly, i was a bit disappointed by the taste. it was sweet with nice fruity highlights, undermined however by the prominent alcohol and what i can only describe as a very generic belgian-nes.

mouthfeel was very appropriate for a strong pale, but nothing too exciting.

drinkable, but i was disappointed enough not to order another..

08-31-2007 22:20:35 | More by Sorgasm
dnichols

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a 750 ml bottle into chilled tulip.

A: Vary pale blonde color with an abundant white head that didn't last very long. However, the frothy foam left a nice lace on the side of the glass that was pleasing to the eye. There were small flakes of yeast that reminded me I was dinking a beer of some substance.

S: Foremost is the aroma of bananas and cloves. This is followed by a light lemony citrus aroma. There is a lingering hint of alcohol but it does not overwhelm and serves to remind me that I am drinking a beer not a fizzy banana flavored soda.

M: Fizzy from the heavy carbonation, light with little aftertaste except a wee bit of an alcohol presence.

D: This is what a “lite” beer should be. It’s crisp and refreshing when served cold. It’s a bit on the light side for a “strong pale ale” but on a long hot day I could care less. This is a fun beer for a day in the park.
Comment: I fist enjoyed this beer at Staminee de Garre. I was a Belgium novice and I was swept away by the mystique of the boast of the “best beer in the world.” My tastes have matured but Delirium Tremens will always have a special place in my heart.

08-24-2007 02:06:48 | More by dnichols
bboven

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Presentation- 12 oz bottle poured into two 6 oz plastic hotel cups as I was getting ready for my wedding. Bright gold color with tons of head that lasted as long as the beer did.

Yeasty, fruity, alcohol esters are pretty apparent.

The sweet taste hides the alcohol almost completely, but you can feel it warming you up all the down. Fantastic.

Sticky and lots of carbonation.

Very enjoyable, but by design you couldn't handle too many. A great beer on a great day.

08-13-2007 00:25:45 | More by bboven
willjansen

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

330ml Bottle - Best before January 2010. ABV listed on bottle as 8.5% (Imported to Australia). Served in snifter.

Appearance - Somewhat hazy, pale golden color. Great sustaining head on a medium pour that slowly reduces to side-sticking lace. Light layer of head remains until the end of the beer.

Smell - Complex aroma that is difficult to describe, but overall it is mainly sweet with some fruitiness and slight, yet distinct spice smells (cloves) coming through in alternating waves. Maltiness with little hoppiness is predicted.

Taste - Similar to the smell with quite a dominant malty kick and all of the sweetness that comes with it. Toffee/caramel is coming through along with the same spices detected in the nose. Warming alcoholic notes remind one of the ABV. Complex taste, but distictly Belgian. No strong aftertaste except perhaps a lingering bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Excellent mouthfeel and one of the highlights of the brew. Smooth, creamy texture and fairly light body for the ABV. Carbonation is on the strong side, but appropriate and pleasant.

Drinkability - Unique beer, no doubt, but one that for some reason I only seek out every few months because "I haven't had a Delerium in while." Great during colder weather when higher ABV spiced beers are nice... Try ore or three on tap at Delerium Cafe in Brussels - amazing bar and decent flagship beer.

08-12-2007 10:16:29 | More by willjansen
joe1510

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

750ml
$8.99
Binny's Orland

For some reason I've always passed by this without ever picking it up. Pours deep golden but looks more straw golden when held to the light. Tiny proteins suspend in the glass adding a slightly hazy appearence. A two finger extremely airy head formed on the pour that faded to a thin skim coat. Leaves almost no lacing at all. Good looking body.

Unique aroma. Has a lot of the typical BSPA aromas including some nice fruity esters. Ripe pear and green apple show themsleves. Pale malts and a sugary medicinal aroma. Mild spicing that's hard for me to detect. The head has to be roused to get any aroma at all but it's very inviting when it's there.

Flavor is along the same lines as the aroma. Lots of fruity esters including the pear and apple from the smell along with some grapes and even some peaches occasionally. Mild sugary punch in the middle makes things really enjoyable. As it warms theres a complimentary alcohol spiciness.

The body is on the lighter side of medium but it has a wonderfully lush mouthfeel. Takes a little time but it does eventually dry out. Mild alcohol warmth as this beer warms.

Easy drinker with a good refreshing quality and lush but thirst quenching body.

My first sample from Brouwerij Huyghe and not my last. This beer really didn't impress me at first but as it warmed it became much more complex. And this was after letting it sit for 20 minutes out of the fridge before opening.

08-12-2007 02:21:16 | More by joe1510
gmfessen

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a hazy, pale golden color with a huge bubbling head and bits of particulate being bounced around by the aggressive carbonation. The smell is very enjoyable and complex. Hints of fruit and Belgian candy sugar mix with an almost weizen-like cloveyness to form quite the smell. The taste is also quite good; a light grape-like fruity maltyness that does a perfect job of covering the alcohol - almost to the point of making the alcohol indiscernible. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a full, creamy carbonation to boot. Given the abv rating along with the smoothness and drinkability of this beer makes this one dangerous brew. Excellent all around and a must try. I've been seeing these pink elephants for a few years now and this was the first one I've managed to get my hands on. Go get your own!

08-08-2007 03:43:55 | More by gmfessen
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Fake looking ceramic bottle, cool label. It's Belgian so I'm expecting to get a buzz on after one of these.

Nice looking, aprocot in color, hazy like a good Hefe. Thick head that holds it own for a good 3 minutes before fading away, no real lacing though.

For a Belgian strong, this one had a faint aroma,,,I caught some faint peach/approcot fruitiness and some slight raisin like sweetness.

Taste was mildly sweet, with some well balanced spiciness. Some fruitiness....aprocot again...sheesh.

Carbonation holds up throughout, giving this beer a crisp, yet medium bodied mouth feel.

Goes down rather nicely, although obviously not a session beer given the high ABV..which BTW you may not even notice.

08-04-2007 04:48:33 | More by Shadman
John_M

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

There are a lot of things I like about Max's in Baltimore. One of those things is that they have DT on tap as a regular there. So this is a fall back beer for me. On those rare occasions when I can find nothing on Max's beer list I want to try, this is always the beer I order.

The beer pours a light gold color, but with a dense, persistent head and fabulous lacing. On the nose I get aromas of lemon zest, ginger ale and lime. This beer is so complex on the palate. There is considerable tartness, but with a beam of sweetness running throughout. Nevertheless, I get sour cherry, melon and banana, with a touch of honey as the beer warms in the glass. This beer is amazingly light on its feet for such a big beer, and has a very pleasing, smooth mouthfeel throughout. As the beer warms up there is even a hint of gingerale/rootbeer, intermingled with all the other flavors, including some lemon/lime citrus.

This beer actually comes across as pretty thirst quenching, and in my mind is the perfect marriage of sweet and sour. A very nice beer.

07-21-2007 16:34:45 | More by John_M
MrMcGibblets

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

served in a goblet, this was a clear deep straw in color with a nice white head and lacing. the aroma was phenomenal. i was surprised and amazed with the powerful and unique bouqet on this one-bananas, bubblegum, tropical fruit, flowery honey, and peppery spice. this smelled like candy, i think i spent more time inhaling this one than drinking it. this had a nice bit of sweetness to start with a bit of a sour finish, which i'm not a fan of. i just prefer a bitter finish in my beer. this did have some bitterness on the back end but the sourness was a bit more noticeable. medium-bodied and quite drinkable but the abv makes it suffer a bit in this area. a must try beer due to it's uniqueness and complex nose.

07-20-2007 05:57:58 | More by MrMcGibblets
choyhosoi

I poured this one and noticed it left a little head as I continued drinking. The color was a weak gold IMO and the smell had a fruity smell to it.The taste was pretty good not too bitter considering the alcohol content, and I would recommend this one to anyone who comes across it

07-18-2007 02:27:39 | More by choyhosoi
BigJTrucker

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Purchased this 12oz bottle from the State Liquor Store. Pours a opaque yellow color similar to a witbier. Light wight head settles very quickly. Smells of fresh fruit, perhaps apples or pears. Tastes faintly sour, maybe like apricots or other dried fruit.i'm also not detecting much hop bitterness, other than what you might expect from a european pale ale. Light and fizzy mouthfeel. Very light and easy to drink, flavor may be a bit different for some tastes, but it's nice. Certainly wouldn't mind trying again.

07-07-2007 02:37:23 | More by BigJTrucker
ChrisA

750ml bottle enjoyed on my 35th birthday. An excellent way to get the party started. I am amazed that the ABV is 9%. Extremely drinkable and fresh. It poured a golden color and was very effervescent. Crisp apple cider was on the nose and palate. Plenty of sediment that was hopefuley yeast.

07-02-2007 16:08:19 | More by ChrisA
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance- very bubbly, could see sediment also, nice golden color

Head- Had good lacing

Smell -coriander, citrus and fruits

Taste- Yeast,cloves, citrus, very refreshing.

Mouthfeel- very carbonated

Drinkability- Very drinkable, I enjoyed it a lot. Not one of my favorite belgians though

07-01-2007 17:36:24 | More by Beerbuddha
BucBasil

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a small bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a cloudy orange with a four finger head that sticks arounds for a good while, but not as long as I would have liked. Held to the light I could see small flakes of something (maybe yeast?) floating around. I'm told this is normal, but still a bit off-putting and detracting from this rating. Very little lacing, which is strange for this style, in my opinion.

Smell: Odd but inviting... Fruits at first, but then you can smell the alcohol and something else, perhaps honey.

Taste: Very refreshing and crisp. I loved it. Light fruits such as pear and golden apple, but then finishing sweeter, fulfilling the honey found in the nose. No aftertaste to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, which I think adds to the refreshing nature of the beer. Howevre I would have liked it a bit lighter to allow the taste to linger a bit longer.

Drinkability: The light and refreshing nature of this brew is deceiving at 9% ABV. I don't really want another at this point.

Notes: I'm not sure I'll buy again in the future... This seems like it wants to be Duvel, but comes short, especially in the appearance. I enjoyed it, but not enough to choose it over Duvel again.

06-30-2007 23:57:27 | More by BucBasil
MarkSCCOT

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

A. A bubbly carbonated pale amber with a quickly dissipating head. Great Lacing.

S. Spicy coriander, citrus fruity smell.

T. Yeasty clove like citrusy taste, very refreshing.

M. Highly carbonated, my choice, but not everyones.

D. Highly drinkable although the abv catches up quickly. A great example of a belgian pale ale.

06-30-2007 21:57:18 | More by MarkSCCOT
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Spicy & sweet smelling. I smel aromas of caramel, honey, & cloves... something reminds me of coriander too.

Cloudy, hazy golden/orange. Good sized tight white head. Head disapates quickly to a thin cover. Some lace.

Tastes spicy at first. Some bubble-guum in the finish. Not as sweet as the aroma suggests, so I guess the bittering hops have done thier job. It is sweeter in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied. I'd say this is bottle conditioned, but it doesn't say that anywhere on the bottle. Lots of fine carbonation...very fine, but prickly.

Overall, It's a great Beer! Very complex, there's a lot going on here.

06-30-2007 16:26:22 | More by BrewSomerville
Metalmonk

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

The big cap looks like whipped cream, with its fluffy peaks, and there's a ton of carbonation feeding it. The color is a dirty golden yellow with good clarity. Lots of lace buildup too. A very good looking beer.

Aroma is honey, lemon, wildflowers, lots of yeast, and something that reminds of lightly toasted sunflower seeds. Typical of the country's best pale ales, which is to say it's pretty great.

Flavor brings in spiciness to balance the sweeter flowery elements. A mouth-watering bouquet of spices both sweet and sharp, smooth citrus and gentle earthy grain, along with a subtle bit of sour-ish yeast. Could drink this every day.

A little too much carbonation, which can distract from all those amazing flavors...almost. The character is bold enough to withstand the fizzy rush...or maybe it's just this bottle? Would love to compare it with a glass on tap.

The flavor is superb, and that's what counts. Its alcohol is well-hidden--or make that well-incorporated. A quintessential Belgian pale ale, and it goes down wonderfully. A thing of joy and celebration...and delirium tremens, apparently.

06-29-2007 22:09:16 | More by Metalmonk
basica

Singapore

3.75/5  rDev -9%

I read and heard a lot about this Belgian strong pale ale and when I finally manage to find it
in Brussel Sprouts, I was really quite happy. This Belgian ale has been highly regarded and it
comes in a really nice opaque bottle with nice blue foil and pink elephants prancing all over
the label. I think the Belgian version is 9 ABV; the one I have goes at 8.5 ABV. I served the
Delirum Tremens in my Duvel glass and I have to admit that this beer pours out almost exactly
like the Duvel. Bright golden with a big generous head boasting of good retention. The first
disappointment came when I went ahead to sniff at the opening of the tulip glass. The smell
was yeasty but with a certain sharp pungence. The taste was yeasty, spicey and tart (cake or
cream like) hardly any fruity notes except the occasional dash of citrus. The sharp pungence from
the smell was not really felt during tasting except when the beer hits the throat but that was
not really significant. The body was nice and close to full with an apt amount of carbonation
giving this strong ale great mouthfeel. Going strong at 8.5 ABV does not detract the drinkability
of this beer and it goes down silky smooth. The after taste was very lasting and started off as
yeasty and spicey. After the taste sits around for a bit, a certain sweetness kicks in with a
slight citrus taste. The Delirium Tremens is a good beer but not really my type of beer. It is
not the best Belgian blond ale I had; I do not really click with the taste but I would still
say that this is a good beer with a certain uniqueness of its kind.

06-27-2007 17:05:17 | More by basica
Chodite

Maryland

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

My first beer review, so please excuse my lack of terminology and overall knowledge.

Had this beer for the first time on tap at Max's in Baltimore (Maxs.com) in a Delirium Tremens snifter *?* glass. I've tried close to 100 beers and this was the best of the best. I felt like I found a pot of gold.

Poured a solid gold color, slightly above average head.

Smelled delicious. Strong fruits and just overall pleasant.

First sip was memorable. Just amazing. No real taste of alcohol, but a full body with hints of fruit (banana??). Went down smooth as can be.

At the time, I didn't realize these were 9% ABV so I had a 2nd (after a Victory's Golden Monkey tripel and a Chimay tripel. YIKES.

So good that I bought the Delirium Tremens glass from the bar.

Unfortunately, not 1/2 as good in a bottle as on tap. If you are trying this beer for the first time, please try to find somewhere that serves it as it should be served. Cheers.

06-26-2007 21:55:24 | More by Chodite
PittBeerGirl

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Translucent champagne body with virtually no head. Leaves no lacing. Somewhat bubbly.

S- Smells lightly of citrus and spices.

T- Great balance of citrus, spice, and wheat upfront. Finish is very clean and dry with nothing lingering with the exception of subtle hints of alcohol warmth. The overall flavor is on the light side.

M- Light body and medium carbonation. Similar to the body of a champagne or triple.

D- This is a drinkable and great brew. I finished mine rather quickly. Great by itself or paired with spicy foods.

06-26-2007 03:04:32 | More by PittBeerGirl
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

I had this at the Beer Bistro in Toronto on June 21, 2007. The aroma was malty and the beer was a golden colour. The first mouthfeel provided a soapy taste to it. Future tastes provided less soap and a clove/nutmeg taste. Overall I was pleasantly surprised as the higher alcohol content wasn't as evident as I thought it would be.

06-25-2007 01:30:15 | More by cyrenaica
bigpatvoodoodad

2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

Maybe I missed something with this one, as it is rated so highly by other BA's. I poured this into a glass so I could see what I was getting into. It poured beautifully enough and had a good head which seemed to linger, and linger, and linger. The smell was OK but I didn't find it all that pleasing, which should have been a warning sign. I guess the taste really threw me off. I didn't like it at all. Maybe I have a terrible palate, but all I got from it was metal, maybe some slight spiciness, grains and did I mention METAL. This is not one I plan on buying again. Maybe I'm missing the appeal, but the Belgians should stick to Lambics

06-20-2007 17:28:53 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
saintwarrick

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Had this brewery's Christmas brew before, but this is my first experience with the flagship brew. Pours a nice orangey gold, hazy with yeast, a solid head replenished by the bubbles at the bottom of the glass. Smell is stunning and overwhelming (in a good way): strawberries, grapes and that spicy yeast. Taste is almost as good with those same fruits mixed with a champagne-like flavor, with a faint little peppery kick at the end.

A great tasting brew, one of the best I've had just on flavor alone. A sipping brew, but definitely one I'll enjoy quite a few more times.

06-20-2007 07:04:58 | More by saintwarrick
letsgopens

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

This fella pours a light pale gold with a medium head that recedes quickly and leaves little lace. I would venture to say that nothing stood out.

The aroma is not much to write home about. I've found that this brew is one of those that some people just don't get. I know people that swear it’s unbelievable. I felt somewhat underwhelmed. A dose of wheat and yeast, hints of citrus.

The flavor reveals citrus, banana, grainy wheat, Belgian yeast, and a hint of growing warmth that dies early. The finish involves more banana and citrus with a rather unappetizing metallic quality. That, I believe, is the deal breaker for many people. You either enjoy that quality, or you don't. I, for one, tend not to.

The texture is rather starchy and a bit warm. Overall interesting but not exceptional in my humble opinion.

06-19-2007 02:13:19 | More by letsgopens