Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Golden and clear in color, nice foamy head

S - Aroma of yeast, malt and fruit ester (banana), alcohol is surely apparent

T - Bit like the smell, great combination of yeasty breadiness and sweet malts, little bit hoppy in final

MF - Medium body, with slightly a good dry finish and sharpness, over carbonnated

D - One of my favorite, worth a try, well-balanced, really in the style

Clubchat, Dec 01, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Been looking forward to this one for a while, and with a name like Delirium Tremens it's got to be good right? Don't know, but we'll soon find out. A deep, dense off-white head rises quickly above this golden brew. From the middle of the bottom of the tulip a column of swift bubbles rises which keeps the head intact for a while. Circling the bubbles is an army of sediment soldiers. After the head decides to fade a deep sheet of pocked lacing is left behind. Smells bready, sweet, spicy and phenolic. Tastes of sweet malts, dried fruits, florals, yeasts and bananas. There's a good, welcomed hit of alcohol heat in the throat. Mouth-feel is medium to full-bodied, and there's big carbonation as the aforementioned stream is still going fairly strong, although a bit abated. Excellent.

stephens101, Nov 26, 2008
4.13/5  rDev 0%

The colour is golden and the head creamy and light, the first sip warms the throat and belly like an old woodstove does a log cabin.

Delirium is lightly hopped and surprisingly malty for such an airy, sunshine beer. Goes down exceptionally smooth considering the high abv. Litterly could drink it all night (might be in rough shape though) The first smell is fruity almost hefe-like. Also has a first taste of bananna like a hefe as well. I've had it on tap and in the bottle ( perferred on tap) Nice and creamy. I can't wait to try the Noctrum

cleeze, Nov 24, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy yellow with gold hues and a two finger cloudy white head of large bubbles that settles to a one finger head with retention to the end and lacing down the glass. Aromas of banana, clove and a sweet citrus frutiy yeast. Banana up front flavor mixes with sweet and sour citrus, bubblegum, liquid yeast and sweet malt. Light body, highly carbonated, there is a dry, powdery finish. Easy drinking despite the 9%.
This is joining the regular rotation.

scottg, Nov 21, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Poured with a moderate head, slightly off-white in colour which reduced to a thin bumpy layer with minutes. The colour is of dark golden hues, crystal clear and easy to see through.

Smell: Lots going on here. Some banana-y phenolic scents, some bubble gum, a detectable bitterness and some alcohol. Reminiscent of a Hefeweizen....

Taste: Hits you up front with an intensely interesting flavour...Kind of bitter, musty, some banana...a somewhat strong taste of juniper/gin that comes in around the finish.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, with lively carbonation which leaves the mouth feeling kind of dry.

Drinkability: At 9% ABV, this is a sipper, but one which I could sip perhaps all night....

darklordlager, Nov 20, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Stopped by Yardhouse with budster OlieIPA for a drink. Second time here and after browsing the menu, I felt the selection was dismal. Last time I had a goblet of Arrogant Bastard (can't go wrong there) and this time I ordered the Delirium Tremens. On their menu it was listed as a Belgian Strong Ale. Over here it's listed as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Semantics.

Kinda clear-ish pale gold color. Bartender wouldn't know head if he paid for it.

Fruity smell. Some nanas. Taste big time of banana and clove. Wondered aloud if I was drinkng a hefe.

Seemed slightly thin and/or watery to me. No troubles drinking it and it was fairly nice but I don't believe I'll be revisiting.

Overall: next

PatronWizard, Nov 20, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

9%, eh? Well that explains a thing or two. Pint at the Only Cafe in Toronto.

Nice honey coloured pour with a slight haze and a creamy off-white head. The nose is spicy and fruity, with a mixture of mulling spices, peach and pears. The flavour brought in most of the elements from the aroma (again some pears, peach and cinnamon), and mixed together it reminded me a little bit of bubblegum. Clove is definitely more prominent in the flavour than the aroma, and there's also some good sweet malts here. Full-bodied mouthfeel, with aggressive carbonation, which I felt stopped it from feeling to sticky and syrupy.

A very solid Belgian, though next time I'll perhaps opt for a smaller nightcap!

bobsy, Nov 17, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

It pours a hazy straw with a big-ass white head. Good lacing.

The aroma is becoming oh-so-familiar and equally pleasant. Spicy Belgian yeast. And plenty of it.

Tastes like Duvel and North Coast PranQster had a tasty baby. Spicy, sour and with a nice dose of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is bubbly, but not quite champagne-like. It's a little more full than -- say -- Duvel, but not quite as sharp.

This is good shit. That much is for sure. That said, you can't put back much of this tasty beer in one sitting. The abv will quickly catch up to you and throttle the hell out of you. For what it is, it's fantastic, though.

BigJim5021, Nov 13, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Electric straw color pour. A nice lace effect.

A spicy smell, with a somewhat fruity taste.

The taste is sweet, yet has a bit of a bite to it. You want to drink this one slowly and enjoy it. I like to allow it to warm up a bit and enjoy the different flavors that present themselves as it does so.

The mouthfeel stays around for a while, as does the alochol effect after drinking this one on an empty stomach.

The drinkability is above average. I enjoy to drink this beer in environments that are dark lit, for example the Mercury Lounge in Santa Barbara, while enjoying their popcorn.

In conclusion, this may be a popular beer because of the elephant logo, but I truly enjoy this beer and the flavors it presents.

2LBrew, Nov 10, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Good, solid, sweetish-malty beer with a pretty decent balance of hops. Not, as advertised, the "Best beer in the world", but certainly worth drinking from time to time. I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't choose it over all possible options.

Clear straw yellow, pretty carbonated, and heady. Light lacing. Looks pretty. The silly glass is a little over the top.

snaotheus, Nov 09, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Very deep golden color throughout. With an extremely white foam head that has erratic lacing. Good looking stuff from the start. Lots of hovering particles within the cup.

S: Nothing too special about the smell but it's deeper than most light brews of similar caliber. Hovers over the glass very thick.

T: High-intensity, colorful, explosive. Those are the words that came to mind when drinking this beer. Very interesting taste, haven't really tried a beer like this before. I like it but it is taking getting used to.

M: Nice and smooth when held in the mouth. Can tell it packs a lot of hops and contents. Quality.

D: The beer is very intense and continued drinking only shows this aspect more. Once I began drinking it more I started liking it more and more and the taste improved as well.

Overall: Not what I expected at all, in a good way! Very high alcohol content that you can barely tell. Really explosive light beer. Recommended!

Psilo707, Nov 06, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

I'm writing this review after having this beer with lunch today, though I've been a long-time fan. Hard to resist on tap! However, my temptation was not fully satisfied with the brew I was served. I'll get to the reasons why, but as testament to how proper serving methods can enhance/hinder a good beer, I've chosen not to review Delerium Tremens as a whole but rather the DT I was served at lunch today. Next time I get my hands on a 4pk I'll serve myself properly and revisit. Here goes...

A: Normally this beer has a frothy head of medium-sized bubbles that eagerly greet the drinker - today, my beer arrived in a cone-shaped 8oz mead glass that gave the frothy head no support at all. I also have a suspicion that the bartender let the head overflow so as to minimize the foam - VERY poor job! Oh, to think of all the lovely DT molecules overflowing down the drain.... uggggh. The beer itself is a sharp, pale yellow that nearly sparkles. The color alone is inviting and remarkably innocent.

S: Spicy cloves, herbs and phenols dominate the smell. You start to get the idea that this is no fizzy pee-pee beer right away. But yet again, because of the odd glass selection, the usually delicious and potent smell is a tad less potent. This glass is really irking me... doesn't allow for a decent head and it just lets those wonderful smells fly away so quickly. I swear revenge!

T: "Those earthy cloves and spices sit so beautifully in the mix you might drift away on this wonderful beer. Tangy hop character and spicy sweetness drift off on slow warming alcohol notes. VERY deceptive alcohol here... you'll notice after you slobber all over this one you're, well, kinda slobbering yourself." That's how I would have described the taste, had it not been SO FUCKING COLD. This isn't Coors! This is a beer to be respected, to be in awe of! Instead of the enlightening taste experience above, my first sip is.... just cold. Luckily this beer is good enough to fight through the ignorance surrounding it. And I need to violate my previous rule - I just can't mark it down for the bartender's error. DT doesn't deserve that.

M: ...but I WILL hold true here. DT already has a very active and biting carbonation, and when it's served barely above freezing it's just not pleasant. In fact, this is probably the biggest problem area for me with how it was served. Though it still tastes great, it's really not that easy to keep on the tongue. As the beer warmed up it was noticeably more pleasant, though.

D: Normally, this beer pulls solid 4+s in my book. Just not so this time.

Not to beat a dead horse.... but please respect beer! This fine, fine brew was totally disrespected in my eyes today. And at $8 for an 8oz (which was not specified on the menu, by the way) I feel totally taken. In fact, I even had to order another, simpler beer to wash away my liquid sorrows. Such is the life of the beer guy.

speakorspasm, Nov 05, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Light golden champagne-esque look to it with a rush of bubbles zooming to the film left after a fizzy, thick head disappeared.

Smells like a comforting old crocheted blanket from Grandma's house that has been in the family for years. Hints of chalky smartees candy, cheap JC Penny cologne and limestone rock!

Musty, funky, fizzy and tart. Somewhat dry on the palate. Strange, yet delightful blend of flavors and textures. Champagne like carbonation, but not champagne sweetness/overly-dryness. Drinking this makes me think of the IHOP Rooty-Tooty-Fresh&Fruity commercials. Hides the alcohol very well.

A bit pricey, but is a most pleasurable experience. Quite unique. I think I will get the 750mL next time instead of the miniscule 11.2oz.

twiggamortis420, Nov 04, 2008
4.13/5  rDev 0%

750 ML ceramic bottle with blue foil over cage & cork > chimay goblet.

A light, frosted-white hued golden color pours out looking very active, big carbonation, very fast bubbles create a pure-white, milky and smooth 2" head that from the top looks just like the first layer of untouched early mouring snow fall. The dissipation is as slow as it gets, the rushing bubbles keeps a 1/4" white cover over the liquid at all times.

The nose has all of the right ellements: Herbal spicey yeast upfront, banana's and cloves, Strawberries and cream, honey-sweet scented malt. Spicey and herbal overall.

The flavor is a clean wheat flavored malt, semi-sweet, big earthy and herbal flavor's of allspice, corriander, rounded out with slight fruitiness of wild strawberries and banana's. The balance of flavor's is conservative with a very natural effect on the palate. Light to medium bodied, it's light and refreshing but the smooooth finish is amazing, i love how the good belgian ale's have a creamy covering of foam at all times to create a silky-smooth creamy effect on the feel. It can't be beat! In a word, it feel's Luxurious. The flavor's are soo clean that there is no residual sourness or bitter ness from leafy hops. The hops are subtle but add a mildly bitter and earthy effect right at the end.

The presentation is great too, a unique bottle with a great lable, the pink elephant's, dragon's and strutting crocodile's are classic.

GratefulBeerGuy, Oct 27, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

I feel bad, because before reviewing this there were 666 bottles that had been reviewed. that my fiends, is awesome. especially given that it's almost halloween.

so, do you like sparkling cider? I do! it rules! in fact, that is exactly what this beer reminds me of! looks like it, pours like it, smells like it. except, this will get you drunk!!

radshoesbro, Oct 26, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours with a quickly dissipating white head and a semiopaque gold body. Looks like a scotch except with carbonation and the haze from the yeast particles.
S: Mainly fruits--banana, but also some tropical fruits like mandarin oranges and passion fruit. Smelled like a fruit smoothie and a glass of champagne at the same time.
T: The banana flavor sticks out much more in the taste. Leaves a residual yeast taste that lasts for awhile.
M: Decently carbonated, full, but refreshing.
D: Would definitely not expect this to be the 9? abv that it is; hides it well.

lhaqq, Oct 26, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

While pouring the beer, the blonde/honey colored beer looked great. The color was murky and the head only complimented the beer in positive ways, though I wish it had stayed around a little longer.

The smells of the beer were extremely sweet. Fruit flavors (grapes, apples, and pears) were most apparent as well as the sweet yeast used in brewing. Strangely, the smells reminded me of white wine (pinot grigio to be specific), which was a disincentive to me; I want beer, not wine.

Just as it smelled, there was a clear taste of grapes. Additionally, pears, honey, apples, and chai spices came through and actually blended together to create a simple candy-like taste. As I got through the beer more and more, I found that the carbonation died down. Although the beer was drinkable, the most frustrating part of the beer was that at points, the alcohol came through the calm, thin texture. On a positive note, the best part of the beer was how hard it hit. At 9% ABV, I was nice and toasty, and the complimenting warming flavors made me feel great.

I felt that this beer was a little overrated and built up into something spectacular, but still enjoyable.

Finkel, Oct 20, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a clear golden with little to no head. Fruity and full of other flavors and aromas that I can't put my finger on. A little nip of alcohol, but nothing to turn me away from this beer. The smoothness and high alcohol mixture can make a couple of these sneak up on you, but that isn't that bad of a thing in this case. Interesting packaging as well. One of my favorite Belgian Strong Ales.

Likeburning, Oct 18, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

So lately I've been reviewing some brews with my good friend finkel for the Drexel University newspaper and people have been bothering us to review Delirium Tremens for ever.

I haven't had it in a while and it felt like time to comeback and review. So lets dive in.

Look: Pours with a hazy honey/blond color with nice rocky head. As the beer begins to settle it leaves some lacing but very little. The head quickly dissipated and so did the carbonation? Maybe there was some soap residue or maybe it was the etching in my Duvel glass.

Smell: Hits me with a bomb shell of a Belgian yeast. Some honey and other fruits I can't put my finger on.

Taste: As I took my first sip a warming sensation slid down my throat. The brew is inebriating and its not hiding it. Some sour tartness in the back as my tongue. Tastes of honey, pears, and light Belgian candy sugars. As the pink elephant warms up the sourness begins to move to the sides of the tongue. Towards the end I could actually taste the alcohol right through the beer. Not sure what that is about???

Feel: On the thin side but no where near watery. Light carbonation. Everyone speaks of such carbonation but once again maybe I'm not cleaning my glasses good enough.

Drinkability: Not to sure about this one. Tasty but I would need a break after drinking a few of these.

Notes: Honestly this is the second time I've thought about this. What's with the hype over this brew? You wana have something mind blowing go get your self something from de dolle, arabier preferably if you want to stay with in the style, or maybe some piraat. Back to my glasses, maybe its my glasses letting this beer down but I had two different glasses a Piraat, with out laser etching, and a Duvel glass, with laser etching. With the last few sips out of the Duvel glass the alcohol came right through. Not very pleasant.

Until next time,
Kraig

devils3cups, Oct 17, 2008

A: Nice golden yellow color. big white head that slowly goes down. leaves a good lace

S: lots of spice and fruits

T: sweet taste at first, a little banana, lots of spice at the end and some alcohol

M: Medium

D: for 9% this is very drinkable but there was something about it that made it just good and not excellent for me

william5586, Oct 17, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Havent had this beer before because the white ceramic bottle has always creeped me out, not sure why.

Anyway, 11.2oz poured into chalice.

A: Holy sediment Batman! Honey yellow color with a thick bright white head with big diameter bubbles. Nice lacing with some of those chunks mixed in. Screw the burger I had with it, got my proteins in this thing.

S: Juicy pear and honey. Not much with the hops at all with all the banana yeast being dominant.

T: Matching the aroma, pear and banana. As it warmed with the yeast warming, the banana flavors completely take over. Spices were quite strong, balanced the alcohol, almost took on the chai spices- hints of cardomam, ginger.

M: Fluffly and amply chewy, literally.

D: A good Belgian beer. Good to sip on, more flavor than a dubbel would have but Im sure that one at a time is good enough for me.

marcpal, Oct 16, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a cloudy, light orange with a good head and lace down the glass. A citric hop smell hit me first, slong with some other fruit, dark and tropical and some minor malt sweetness. Smooth and balanced on the whole with a medium body and alright carbonation. While there are a lot of fruits in the taste, apple, orange, pear, berries, there are also some figs and a caramel/honey syrupy sweetness and texture on the outside of the beer. Also had some spiciness to it, and a little sour crispness with some of the fruit taste. Finishes warming and with a spicy fruit taste. A pretty good pale ale, although a tad sour for my liking.

clayrock81, Oct 15, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Got this on-tap at Trappeze in Athens, GA.

Pours a clear golden color with a smooth one-finger white head. I've had this from the bottle before and the carbonation isn't as intense on-tap. The head recedes to a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a medium-sized ring around the glass. The lacing doesn't stick around too long.

Smells mostly of light fruits - pears with some banana and citrus - with a little spiciness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. The tastes all work well together even though they're not very pronounced. There's also a nice Belgian sugar sweetness throughout.

Mouthfeel is good. There's a good thickness with grainy carbonation. It goes down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. The flavors aren't too overbearing and the grainy carbonation doesn't hurt things.

Overall this is a solid Belgian with a cool logo. I can see myself ordering this again, and it's definitely worth a shot.

glid02, Oct 13, 2008

750 ml bottle dated 1-07 poured in to a goblet.

Pours a clear golden color with a bright white head. Steady carbonation flow.

Orangey smell with a belgian hop snap and some chalky belgian yeast.

Bright flavor of orange, hops and yeast.

Carbonated full mouthfeel is classic belgian.

Nice drinkability for a 9% abv- it is not noticable.

aubuc1, Oct 11, 2008

Nice golden color but the head is the key to appearance on this one. Creamy white head with sticky lace. Bubbles are so fine that it looks like a layer of whipped cream on the top, not foamy or bubbly at all. Smell of mild fruityness, bananna, apple, apricot. Not very bold on the nose but mild and subdued. Some yeastyness and a little spice show up also. Taste has a little more umph than the smell. Same mild fruityness and spice just more noticable. 9% is well hidden. Full body with a smooth finish. There is no doubt that this is a quality brew with no flaws. The flavor profile is not as in your face as many of the extreame beers but is very full in a somehow subdued way. A great sipper to take your time with and enjoy what shows itself with each sip. This is one I will go for every now and then.

beermanbrian, Oct 10, 2008