Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance- very bubbly, could see sediment also, nice golden color

Head- Had good lacing

Smell -coriander, citrus and fruits

Taste- Yeast,cloves, citrus, very refreshing.

Mouthfeel- very carbonated

Drinkability- Very drinkable, I enjoyed it a lot. Not one of my favorite belgians though

07-01-2007 17:36:24 | More by Beerbuddha
BucBasil

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a small bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a cloudy orange with a four finger head that sticks arounds for a good while, but not as long as I would have liked. Held to the light I could see small flakes of something (maybe yeast?) floating around. I'm told this is normal, but still a bit off-putting and detracting from this rating. Very little lacing, which is strange for this style, in my opinion.

Smell: Odd but inviting... Fruits at first, but then you can smell the alcohol and something else, perhaps honey.

Taste: Very refreshing and crisp. I loved it. Light fruits such as pear and golden apple, but then finishing sweeter, fulfilling the honey found in the nose. No aftertaste to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, which I think adds to the refreshing nature of the beer. Howevre I would have liked it a bit lighter to allow the taste to linger a bit longer.

Drinkability: The light and refreshing nature of this brew is deceiving at 9% ABV. I don't really want another at this point.

Notes: I'm not sure I'll buy again in the future... This seems like it wants to be Duvel, but comes short, especially in the appearance. I enjoyed it, but not enough to choose it over Duvel again.

06-30-2007 23:57:27 | More by BucBasil
MarkSCCOT

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

A. A bubbly carbonated pale amber with a quickly dissipating head. Great Lacing.

S. Spicy coriander, citrus fruity smell.

T. Yeasty clove like citrusy taste, very refreshing.

M. Highly carbonated, my choice, but not everyones.

D. Highly drinkable although the abv catches up quickly. A great example of a belgian pale ale.

06-30-2007 21:57:18 | More by MarkSCCOT
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Spicy & sweet smelling. I smel aromas of caramel, honey, & cloves... something reminds me of coriander too.

Cloudy, hazy golden/orange. Good sized tight white head. Head disapates quickly to a thin cover. Some lace.

Tastes spicy at first. Some bubble-guum in the finish. Not as sweet as the aroma suggests, so I guess the bittering hops have done thier job. It is sweeter in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied. I'd say this is bottle conditioned, but it doesn't say that anywhere on the bottle. Lots of fine carbonation...very fine, but prickly.

Overall, It's a great Beer! Very complex, there's a lot going on here.

06-30-2007 16:26:22 | More by BrewSomerville
Metalmonk

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

The big cap looks like whipped cream, with its fluffy peaks, and there's a ton of carbonation feeding it. The color is a dirty golden yellow with good clarity. Lots of lace buildup too. A very good looking beer.

Aroma is honey, lemon, wildflowers, lots of yeast, and something that reminds of lightly toasted sunflower seeds. Typical of the country's best pale ales, which is to say it's pretty great.

Flavor brings in spiciness to balance the sweeter flowery elements. A mouth-watering bouquet of spices both sweet and sharp, smooth citrus and gentle earthy grain, along with a subtle bit of sour-ish yeast. Could drink this every day.

A little too much carbonation, which can distract from all those amazing flavors...almost. The character is bold enough to withstand the fizzy rush...or maybe it's just this bottle? Would love to compare it with a glass on tap.

The flavor is superb, and that's what counts. Its alcohol is well-hidden--or make that well-incorporated. A quintessential Belgian pale ale, and it goes down wonderfully. A thing of joy and celebration...and delirium tremens, apparently.

06-29-2007 22:09:16 | More by Metalmonk
basica

Singapore

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

I read and heard a lot about this Belgian strong pale ale and when I finally manage to find it
in Brussel Sprouts, I was really quite happy. This Belgian ale has been highly regarded and it
comes in a really nice opaque bottle with nice blue foil and pink elephants prancing all over
the label. I think the Belgian version is 9 ABV; the one I have goes at 8.5 ABV. I served the
Delirum Tremens in my Duvel glass and I have to admit that this beer pours out almost exactly
like the Duvel. Bright golden with a big generous head boasting of good retention. The first
disappointment came when I went ahead to sniff at the opening of the tulip glass. The smell
was yeasty but with a certain sharp pungence. The taste was yeasty, spicey and tart (cake or
cream like) hardly any fruity notes except the occasional dash of citrus. The sharp pungence from
the smell was not really felt during tasting except when the beer hits the throat but that was
not really significant. The body was nice and close to full with an apt amount of carbonation
giving this strong ale great mouthfeel. Going strong at 8.5 ABV does not detract the drinkability
of this beer and it goes down silky smooth. The after taste was very lasting and started off as
yeasty and spicey. After the taste sits around for a bit, a certain sweetness kicks in with a
slight citrus taste. The Delirium Tremens is a good beer but not really my type of beer. It is
not the best Belgian blond ale I had; I do not really click with the taste but I would still
say that this is a good beer with a certain uniqueness of its kind.

06-27-2007 17:05:17 | More by basica
Chodite

Maryland

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

My first beer review, so please excuse my lack of terminology and overall knowledge.

Had this beer for the first time on tap at Max's in Baltimore (Maxs.com) in a Delirium Tremens snifter *?* glass. I've tried close to 100 beers and this was the best of the best. I felt like I found a pot of gold.

Poured a solid gold color, slightly above average head.

Smelled delicious. Strong fruits and just overall pleasant.

First sip was memorable. Just amazing. No real taste of alcohol, but a full body with hints of fruit (banana??). Went down smooth as can be.

At the time, I didn't realize these were 9% ABV so I had a 2nd (after a Victory's Golden Monkey tripel and a Chimay tripel. YIKES.

So good that I bought the Delirium Tremens glass from the bar.

Unfortunately, not 1/2 as good in a bottle as on tap. If you are trying this beer for the first time, please try to find somewhere that serves it as it should be served. Cheers.

06-26-2007 21:55:24 | More by Chodite
PittBeerGirl

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Translucent champagne body with virtually no head. Leaves no lacing. Somewhat bubbly.

S- Smells lightly of citrus and spices.

T- Great balance of citrus, spice, and wheat upfront. Finish is very clean and dry with nothing lingering with the exception of subtle hints of alcohol warmth. The overall flavor is on the light side.

M- Light body and medium carbonation. Similar to the body of a champagne or triple.

D- This is a drinkable and great brew. I finished mine rather quickly. Great by itself or paired with spicy foods.

06-26-2007 03:04:32 | More by PittBeerGirl
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -31%

I had this at the Beer Bistro in Toronto on June 21, 2007. The aroma was malty and the beer was a golden colour. The first mouthfeel provided a soapy taste to it. Future tastes provided less soap and a clove/nutmeg taste. Overall I was pleasantly surprised as the higher alcohol content wasn't as evident as I thought it would be.

06-25-2007 01:30:15 | More by cyrenaica
bigpatvoodoodad

2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

Maybe I missed something with this one, as it is rated so highly by other BA's. I poured this into a glass so I could see what I was getting into. It poured beautifully enough and had a good head which seemed to linger, and linger, and linger. The smell was OK but I didn't find it all that pleasing, which should have been a warning sign. I guess the taste really threw me off. I didn't like it at all. Maybe I have a terrible palate, but all I got from it was metal, maybe some slight spiciness, grains and did I mention METAL. This is not one I plan on buying again. Maybe I'm missing the appeal, but the Belgians should stick to Lambics

06-20-2007 17:28:53 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
saintwarrick

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Had this brewery's Christmas brew before, but this is my first experience with the flagship brew. Pours a nice orangey gold, hazy with yeast, a solid head replenished by the bubbles at the bottom of the glass. Smell is stunning and overwhelming (in a good way): strawberries, grapes and that spicy yeast. Taste is almost as good with those same fruits mixed with a champagne-like flavor, with a faint little peppery kick at the end.

A great tasting brew, one of the best I've had just on flavor alone. A sipping brew, but definitely one I'll enjoy quite a few more times.

06-20-2007 07:04:58 | More by saintwarrick
letsgopens

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

This fella pours a light pale gold with a medium head that recedes quickly and leaves little lace. I would venture to say that nothing stood out.

The aroma is not much to write home about. I've found that this brew is one of those that some people just don't get. I know people that swear it’s unbelievable. I felt somewhat underwhelmed. A dose of wheat and yeast, hints of citrus.

The flavor reveals citrus, banana, grainy wheat, Belgian yeast, and a hint of growing warmth that dies early. The finish involves more banana and citrus with a rather unappetizing metallic quality. That, I believe, is the deal breaker for many people. You either enjoy that quality, or you don't. I, for one, tend not to.

The texture is rather starchy and a bit warm. Overall interesting but not exceptional in my humble opinion.

06-19-2007 02:13:19 | More by letsgopens
BitterLover

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured at 50F from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Hoegaarden goblet. Gotta love that pink elephant on the label :-) I let it sit until it warmed to about 58F.

A - Pale golden color with a nice thick white head that was about 3/4" thick, but didn't last very long. Quite cloudy, with a noticeable yeast cloudiness at the bottom of the goblet.

S - Yeast is foremost, then cloves with a light citrus aroma (but I can't pick out any particular fruit).

A - Definately spicy up front, kind of like some of those spiced teas that they call 'chai', followed by a tanginess that is almost sour, but balanced by a sweet maltiness. Very nice!

M - Light with a bit of an alcohol presense.

D - This is a sipping beer that you'll want to savor to get a feel for the depth of flavor that it offers.

06-18-2007 02:25:21 | More by BitterLover
diego

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

It has a hazy blonde color with a good amount of carbonation. The head started out as about an inch of white foam. It has strong citrus and yeast nose. The yeast is distinctive and you can taste it as well as smell it. It tastes a bit foamier than it looks with some spices. Maybe nutmeg? This is one of my favorite beers.

06-12-2007 22:57:07 | More by diego
MTNboy

Germany

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Overall I have to say I recommend this one as a sipping beer or a beer that goes with a nice meal.

Appearance- Slightly cloudy, hay like gold and it leaves a decent lace.

Smell- A good yeast and malt mixture with a little fruit fallowing.

Taste- It reminds me of some of the wheat beers I would drink when I lived in Bavaria. Just with a little more fruit spice and alcohol.

Mouthfeel. It tingles a little with some after taste that lingers.

Drinkability- I like it but it is a beer that I could only drink once and a while. It is definitely a warmer.

06-12-2007 20:15:41 | More by MTNboy
Nesued

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - Pours a very crisp golden color. A slight hazy but not what I would consider an "unfiltered" hazy. A small one-finger head formed on the pour that faided to a slight ring of a head that remained. The head was fed by a very thin carbonation, not much to speak of actually.

Smell - Did smell a bit yeasty but some spice overtones. Didn't really have a whole lot of an alcohol aroma or presence. Did also have a sweet presence with a very "christmasy/spicy" appeal. The pairing of all of the aboves made for a very distinctive aroma that is unique to Delirium products.

Taste - The spicy notes take center stage in this offering. Did have a crisp "won't stay on your tongue" appeal. Medium body that seems to finish with a mellow offering. The finish is well worth waiting for. Warm this beer up and the smoothness really takes off as the bottle empties.

Mouthfeel - Letting the beer wander allows the carbonation to work a bit more of the density to the product. It is a medium-body beer but it feels more dense the warmer it gets.

Drinkability - I've had several Delirium products and this is the first time I've actually sat down and provided a review. Overall this is a good "sipper" with a wide-mouth chalice adding to the creation of a nice representation of Belgian Strong Pale Ale. This is a staple of what I keep in stock.

06-11-2007 21:13:27 | More by Nesued
khiasmus

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Pours a beautiful cloudy golden color, with three fingers of white head that lasts for a couple minutes before dissipating to a ring. Bubbles constantly though, like a champagne.

S- Bubblegum and golden raisins. A bit of yeast, and a hint of alcohol far in the back. Has a wonderful aroma with faint hints of licorice, cotton candy, citrus and alcohol.

T- Sweet malt and citrus up front, with some yeastiness and white bread coming to support. A lingering almost sour finish with a faint touch of alcohol. Quite good, but not as good as the nose.

M- Light and bubbly, with high carbonation, and a slightly dry but very clean light finish.

D- So light, it's highly drinkable. The dry finish makes you want more... and it's dangerously good for 9%.

06-03-2007 19:43:36 | More by khiasmus
willjschmidt

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into my Delirium Tremens glass.

A: A very clear goldenish yellow color with a huge thick white head. Etching on the bottom of the glass (similar to Duvel) provides a steady stream of carbonation and therefore a constant head. Nice lacing as well.

S: Spicy, sweet and alcoholic.

T: The initial taste is that of the bitter hops and the peppery spices. There is some fruit in the middle followed up by a medicinal aftertaste. There is a distinct honey like sweetness to the brew as well. The alcohol is warming towards the end and it finshes crisp and dry.

M: Medium bodied, slightly syrupy, nice amount of constant carbonation.

D: Drinkability is good, it's a tasty beer. A very nice example of the Belgian strong pale ale style, but not the best out there.

05-31-2007 02:07:40 | More by willjschmidt
OWSLEY069

It pours a nice lighter color, smells of strong alcohol and a trace of fruits, apple or a light grape. Taste, well there sure is some alcohol in there, that is for sure, and a nice end. A beer to take your time with and sip, by the end you might see the elephants dancing!

05-30-2007 20:53:51 | More by OWSLEY069
DavidSeanNJ

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Please note: Although this is my first official review of this beer, I have had this one numerous times.

The bottle was very pleasing to look at- a glass bottle covered in a ceramic like material- corked- blue foil around the neck of the bottle. The beer itself was just as pleasing with a hazy golden pale yellow color- lots of head on this one- almost half an inch.
This fine ale smelled of spices and tropical fruits- most notably bananas. Taste was similar- spice, spice, spice- highly carbonated as well.

Personally, I could not detect the high ABV in this beer. Smooth as could possibly be. A highly drinkable beer for such a high ABV (around 8.5% listed on bottle).

Delerium Tremens is a lovely beer- a great example of the style.

05-26-2007 03:58:44 | More by DavidSeanNJ
brendan13

Australia

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Hazy golden colour with what I found quite a small head for the style. This had been sitting in my fridge for a couple of days & I took it out and sat it on the bench for 15 minutes & poured it slowly & still lots of yeasties got in. Not a bad thing but ruins the appearance a bit.
Spicy notes pretty much dominates the nose which follows on to the taste with some sweetness coming through as well. The alcohol is present as you'd expect in a 9% beer but not too overbearing.
A fairly highly carbonated beer with a syrupy mouthfeel.
This is a very nice beer but the price & ABV obviously limits the drinkability. Great to bust out for special occasions.

05-23-2007 09:51:59 | More by brendan13
DoubleJ

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

I first had this five months ago while visiting Toronto. I walked into a beer bar (Smokeless Joe's) with only exotic beers, and my knowledge of exotic beer was more limited then. The guy sitting next to me recommended that I try Delirium Tremens; he proclaimed it to be the best beer in the world. Well, I wouldn't say it was the best beer in the world, but still damn good. I bought a 750 ml bottle from BevMo to reassure that this remained good stuff. Love the bottle label, it looks like a circus is being performed. Well, on to the beer:

Poured into a chalice, its hazy blonde in color with a big, fluffy head that rises nicely. Yeasty and fruity (such as apricots) in scent, more of the same in the taste, with the peppery flavors less dominant. The unique part of this beer is its smooth as silk feel and its easy drinking for the style. I managed to finish the whole 750 ml without much trouble...

One difference of the Delirium I had to Toronto and the one I had at home was the alcohol content. It was 8.7% ABV labled on the bottle in Toronto, but 8.5% ABV labled on the bottle here in SoCal. But anyway, after finishing the whole bottle, things started to feel a little different. They don't call this Delirium Tremens for nothing!

05-16-2007 21:25:22 | More by DoubleJ
jeffjfindley

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

It's 4:20 PM on Sunday, May 13th, 2007. Mother's Day. This is my 100th review and I've been deliberating all week what I would review. I considered Alesmith's Wee Heavy, but it's too hot. That'll happen soon, but not today. I'm listening to Clara Rockmore's "The Art Of The Theremin".

I have never seen a prettier beer. Dreamy golden color and a head that I would never have believed could have come out of a bottle if I hadn't seen it. Carbonation is visible, and lovely. I brought my face close to sniff it, and along with a big, cool foamy kiss on the lip I was blessed with soaring notes of coriander, cinammon, and bananas. If I said the flavor was spicy before a federal court I would be cited with perjury. This thing is alive, my friends. You can taste the carbonation the way you can in a Perrier water, along with a big blast of alcohol. Bigger hop presence than most Belgians. Mouthfeel is rich, and exciting, tingly and clingy. This is the reason I love beer.

It's 4:40 and my 100th review is coming to an end, and so is the subject. This has been a sublime experience. Next stop, Initiate status!

05-13-2007 23:43:58 | More by jeffjfindley
ThirdCoast

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

ST: A 11.2 fl oz cream colored bottle with black specks. A blue foil covered the cap.

A: A Nice hazy yellow, with a huge 2 inch head that slowly disapates. Particles stay suspended in the beer. Very cool.

S: Sweet, some slight banana, very nice. Spicy, fruity.

T: Complex....Spices, mixed with hint of sweet flavor.

M: Easy to go down, not too heavy on the mouth.

D: I would order this, its a nice easy beer that would be a great beer to introduce to your "Bud Lite" friend.

05-08-2007 02:40:44 | More by ThirdCoast
dbalsock

Vermont

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

App: Pale orange with lots of white fluffy head... lots. There was some nice lacing, but it wasn't a lot and didn't stick to the glass for long.

Smell: Yeasties and malt mix to give an aroma similar to an imperial hefeweizen (yes I know that doesn't exist). There may be some very subtle hops in there, but the malt dominates the seen. The Yeast gives a banana taste, and with the malt I get a lightweight, alcohol banana bread feel.

Taste: The hoppage is much more apparent in the taste than the nose, as they ride in style with the hearty light malts. The alcohol is present and adds some complexity, and the hops round it off on the aftertaste. Yeast isn't so much a factor after the nose, which I appreciate. This isn't overly complex, or even somewhat complex as far as my palate is concerned.

Mouthfeel: A little bitter, but fairly smooth and sharp from the alcohol. It does, however, leave a strange dryness on the roof of my mouth.

Drinkability: I really wouldn't sit through more than one glass of this again... and would only do that if going through a bottle at a bar with some friends. I think there are much better for the style, but also much worse.

05-06-2007 17:22:26 | More by dbalsock