Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.48/5  rDev +8.7%

A- Clear gold body with a fluffy, white head that sticks a bit.

S- Pale malt with some sweet/tart fruit aromas going on with a slightly herbal hop aroma.

T- Dry, Belgian pale malts leave a overall dry taste, but it's interrupted with lots of fruity flavors and some tart and earthy yeast. Really well-balanced. Slight medicinal after-taste.

M- Medium body with a crisp carbonation.

D- Really drinkable beer; a great way to finish an evening.

3.71/5  rDev -10%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle undated, acquired through a trade with Viggo.

Pours a nice pale yellow with a decent head but I am amazed by how much sediment there was in the bottle. Remember next time not to pour out the last bit. Balls of heavily flocculated yeast give the beer an unfortunate brown hue. The aroma I was really enjoying with a bit of banana, an aroma that initially I could only describe as fruity but later realized was that of apple juice and nice and enjoyable level of belgian funk...

The beer tasted nice, but nothing great. The sweetness with a bit of the apple hangs on. Very little of the belgian funk plays in the palate, which I find incredibly disappointing. Carbonation is OK, biting but lower than I expected for what I know of the style. Very drinkable, with none of the higher ABV coming through but just not what I was hoping for...

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A-A bright golden color with about a fingers width head with a slight lacing.

S-smells of belgian yeast and crisp fruit like apple and maybe some slight citrus.

T-Sweet and crisp with apple and slight pear and a small amount of hops.

M-Crisp and refreshing light to medium bodied sweet like a carbonated apple/pear juice..

D-way too high for a brew with an 8.5abv tasty,tasty and tasty...

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle with cork marked 2009 into a DFH signature glass.

A- Pours an amber/gold with very little head. Based on reviews I've read, I'm not sure where the massive head is. Perhaps a bad pour on my part, but not sure. Does leave some lacing however.

S- Some spicy Belgian yeast comes through along with some tart apple.

T- Some sweet fruitiness with a slightly tart edge up front before a rather dry finish with a slight bitterness.

M/D- Pretty light and smooth with decent carbonation. Goes down pretty easily as well. Could probably put away a few.

I have tasted this before, and I remember it being much more carbonated and a bit lighter/fluffier. I guess this may just be a slightly flattened bottle. Still quite tasty though, and a good complement to its cousin BSPA Duvel.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

bottel 33 cl poured in a delirium tremens glass

A: Pours a dark dark golden color with a lot of head initially. It eventually dissipates to about a finger. A good amount of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Belgian yeast, sweet citrus and apple. Also some faint hops. Smells light and refreshing.

T: Very sweet up front, with tastes of apple and pear dominating. Also some citrus. Just a touch of bitter hops kick in on the finish to provide a great balance.

M: Light to medium bodied, good amount of carbonation. Crisp and refreshing. Where is the 8.5% abv?

D: I've always loved this beer. It's a great example of the style.
perfect brew

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

330ml into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden honey, dense head, vigorous carbonation.

Scent of slightly sweet malts, yeast and very prominent phenols, I'm worried.

My worries are borne out, medicinal phenols are pronounced. While medicinal at least they are not of the band-aid kind but medicinal none the less. I know some folks consider this just another note in a complex brew but I just don't get it as it simply isn't pleasant to my taste buds, it lingers in the back of my throat. I think brussel sprouts suck too but people keep eating them . . . . .
cheers
jd

future bottles were better received

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I am finally writing a new review after 2 1/2 years almost. What better beer to review than one of my two favorite Belgian Strong Ales.

Poured into a Delirium Tremens globe. Almost overflowing with a 3 finger head that stays around for awhile. Lacing fills the inside of the glass.

A- Has a nice golden color with a cloudy appearance. A
Beautiful beer with bubbles rising from the bottom of the
globe into the sudsy head.

S- Smells strong of alcohol but has a has a nice fruity smell as
well.

T- The taste of this beer is second to none imo. It is fruity and
crisp but, at the same time, has an alcohol kick to it that
you can tell is there.

M- This beer feels very good on the palate. Even though it
has an ABV of 8.5%, it still goes down very smooth.

D- This is a very drinkable beer. It might be a little to heavy for
those used to 5% abv and below beers.

In closing, this is one of the finest beers in the world. I really enjoy it each and every time I get the chance. I highly recommend this beer! Peace out beer freaks.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - light hay colored with tons of yeasty sediment. Massive white billowy head which died rather quickly. Unremarkable lacing.

Smell - very subtle yeast, malted wheat, and pungent phenols. Also new bread.

Taste - is sweet and bready up front, then bitter, with a rather tart finish. Definitely perceived alcohol but not till the end. Very enjoyable over all.

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied with tons of carbonation, very effervescent

Drinkability - dangerously drinkable, would definitely enjoy a few of these before falling over in my chair.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Poured an opaque yellow/gold with an extremely foamy head that took quite some time to dissipate.
S - Caramel with banana and a hint of citrus
T - Honey and banana with a light citrussy flavour and slight bitter/tartness of aftertaste which balances the sweet
M - very smooth and refreshing
D - Rather drinkable and I would drink more if the price per bottle wasn't so damn high here in Australia.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

A:Pale hue, almost yellow with some hints of orange, completely translucent, an abundant white-headed
(nearly three fingers) beer with a creamy texture, excellent retention and significant residual in the glass. Constant and heavy carbonation.

S: very fancy aroma of citrus and fruit with light alcohol perception

T:With a first taste of slightly sweet behaves, with hints of honey and fruit, acidity is almost imperceptible, but in his final you can note the complexity of the beer with a fine bitterness
and the alcohol presence accompanying the whole way.
In his extended ending it can be noticed some wasting making it kind of chewy.

Medium body, despite the volume of alcohol relatively easy to drink.

3.74/5  rDev -9.2%

Served in a cognac snifter.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, straw blonde. Head isn't as full or as lasting as I had expected but not bad. Leaves diminishing lacing. Reminds me of a "frosty" pale ale or lager.

Smell: Unlike any beer I've sniffed before. Smells strongly of sweet gum. Notes of citrus (orange?) and a slight earthiness reminds combines with the other aromas, reminding me of fragrant bananas. I'm talking the distilled, concentrated kind of bananas here. Unique, a plus for summer time drinking, I would probably scoff at this if I was tasting in the winter.

Taste: The taste follows the aroma only in the slightest. Clear on the front of the pallet, a little sweetness following in the middle and finishing with a touch of bitter hops. The smell greatly influences the taste. The beer takes on a much sweeter, slightly wheaty tone, and leaves the slight taste of gum/bananas on the back of my tongue when I inhale the aroma. When I stifle my sense of smell, however, the beer tastes much like a well brewed lager or pale ale, but lacking most of the hoppy bitterness that you might find on the back end of such beers.

Mouthfeel: Nothing bad to say here. A nice, medium-light body which is characteristic of wheat beers and lighter ales.

Drinkability: Infinitely drinkable. The only reason I ding the drinkability of this beer is that it does not particularly engage me (which would make me want to drink more). This beer has a solid flavor profile which does not fatigue the pallet.

Overall a good beer. I fear that my ratings are indicative of my mild dislike for the belgian style (much in the same way that I no longer enjoy watching the barca style that spain's national team inherited from holland). I recommend this beer to anyone who hasn't tried it because of its quality and reputation but I will probably never buy a second bottle unless tasting with those who have not yet sampled this brew.

2.77/5  rDev -32.8%

Had on-tap at The Grisly Pear on MacDougal below W 3 St for $9.
I had looked away for a moment and by the time I looked back, the bartender had finished pouring it into a Verizon(yes, the phone company) pint glass. I didn't complain, but he then later mentioned that if I ordered it once he was gone, it would be served in a "different" glass. He did this to give me more beer, though I'd rather have had the glass. I was then distracted as a Sixpoint truck rolled up and was delivering kegs across the street.

A- Crystal clear yellow straw body with two finger of quickly receding fluffy head.

S- Yeast and metal aromas with some sweet yellow apple.

T- Very strong yeast and metal flavors with clove and dried fruit flavors present.

M- Light bodied, lightly carbonated.

D- I only had the one. I couldn't bear the strong metallic flavor. This is my first time having it on tap, I do remember preferring the Nocturnum to this, but I don't remember it being this bad. I'll hafta pick up a bottle and try it again.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

11.2 oz. faux-ceramic bottle, dated January 2010

A - Pours hazy pale gold with a massive, sticky white head. Highly effervescent. Thick, long-lasting cap with nice Belgian lace.

S - Wheat, yeast, citrus peels, bubblegum, a little tropical fruit and floral hops. Would've liked a touch of alcohol and phenols/pepper.

T - Follows nose, good and balanced. Swallow reveals a fair bit of hop bitterness which lingers with a faint orange note. A trace of pepper barely tickles the back of the throat.

M - Medium-bodied with lively carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth.

D - Not quite as splendid as its cousin Duvel, but a great BSPA nonetheless.

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Classic wheat coloring, a hazy pale yellowy. A good two fingers of cloudy white head. Nice lacing. high carbonation keeps the beer breathing throughout.

S: Citrusy and orange, some sourness.

T: Citrus and spice and very nice. Fantastic for a wheaty beer.

M: Bubbly. Not bitter or thick. Very smooth, creamy like skim milk.

D: Great all the way through

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a nice goblet at a local bar in College Station, Texas.
The color was a nice clear golden straw with a nice white head with some lacing
The aroma was pleasant the nose with hints of fruit and yeast, almost tart.
Taste was good with flavors of malt and a nice bitter floral hops, a little spice and tart to it with a bread taste to it and some bubblegum interesting but Good.
Mouthfeel was a nice light and good feel with a nice amount of carbonation
Drinkability is excellent
They price is rather unappealing but it is still a fantastic beer and a nice change of pace from others

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tall weizen glass.

Cloudy yellow in color, with a rather large head that holds for about two minutes. I can see the bubbles rising up, as if this were a champagne or perhaps a sparkling wine. I'm also seeing clouds, rather than lace.

I'm getting a citrus-type nose, stashed deftly behind a well-done spice sensation. Can't wait to drink it.

First taste - Oh. My. God. Nice and buttery smooth. When one speaks of balance, this is what they're talking about. Citrus up front, I sense a lemon/orange mix. And then there's that Belgian yeast, giving off a lovely but measured spicy note, maybe anise. At the finish, I can pick up the hops (a slightly grassy feel), and I catch the malt, which produces a fantastic but not overpowering caramel flavor. I'm a fan of this beer.

As to drinkability, this is one I would not share with my NASCAR beer-drinking friends, as all the fascinating stuff would be wasted on them. They'd like it, they just wouldn't know why, and I'd rather share this with the enlightened. I love this beer.

This would be outstanding with a perfectly prepared steak. I get hungry at the thought of it.

4.26/5  rDev +3.4%

Served into goblet from corked bottle. Opened with a strong pop- from which I suspected overcarbonation- but the carbonation level is perfect. Pours golden yellow with a medium-thick head that slowly dissipates but never disappears. Flavor is light- too light for such a strong ale- which makes this a happily dangerous beverage! The flavor profile is different but the total package is very reminiscent of Duvel.

The corked bottle, painted to resemble a ceramic bottle, does a wonderful job of keeping the beer fresh from the harmful effects of ambient lighting. This is a beer which I suspect is always a good choice from stores which aren't careful with their care of beers.

This beer would pair very well with lemon sauces and fish; it's bright flavor brings out spices and should do a great job of cutting rich sauces and bbq.

This is highly recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle with pink elephants, green alligators, and red dragons dancing around yellow suns on the label.

Appearance- The head on this is monstrously huge; it literally takes up almost half of the glass, and that's from a relatively conservative pouring pace. I could only pour in 3/4ths of the bottle before the head threatened to spill over.The color is a light, mostly transparent yellow with significant carbonation bubbles. Thick lacing sticks to the sides even after the head subsides (which takes a few minutes).

Smell- The initial aroma almost reminds me of a Pilsner with its light malty scent, but there are also light, fruity yeast and something that can really only be described as bubblegum. A strange mineral undertone keeps it from being truly appealing.

Taste- The fruity malt from the scent shifts to more of a honey taste on the tongue, followed by the slightly spicy, bitter hops. There are fruity esters evident in the aftertaste, which is pleasant but not strong. The hints of bubblegum return in the taste. It lingers on the top of the back of your throat, subtly tempting you to take another sip as you savor it.

Mouthfeel- It's definitely on the lighter end of the body spectrum but not in a bad way. The carbonation which caused that insane head isn't as noticeable in the body itself.

Drinkability- This is the best damned bubblegum I've ever had. If Delirium Tremens were less expensive, it would be near the top of my list of lighter beers with which to make a delicious drinking session.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

This Belgian Strong Pale Ale pours a clear golden color with a thick white head that dissipates after a minute and leaves a layer of foam on the surface.

The aroma is light malt (perhaps pilsner) with some yeast and light fruit from the yeast. There is a tartness that comes through, quite mild, and a mineral and almost metalic aroma along with a subtle bubblegum smell.

Taste is pale malt and bright fruit with a forward hop bitterness. It begins with light, dry malt and some tartness that transitions into dry fruit flavors and some faint bubblegum. Toward the finish there is hop bitterness, very dry malt and some spicy and yeasty flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate to light with above average carbonation.

Overall this is a fairly light, dry and flavorful beer. It has a decent complexity and is fairly easy drinking. It hides its alcohol well.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

WoW!! What's going on here. A innocent enough looking pale golden colored ale. But the first whiff is all kinds of things. Spicy pear and cinnimon, along with the booze and other spices.
First sip is yummy!!! Big collection of flavors. Spicy cloves, rum soaked pears, crisp apples, plus a whole lot more. A great complex ale that I need to have a lot more so I can discover even more flavors.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my all-round favorite beer. Just the smell is amazing. Very rich, fruity aroma.

Most people are very surprised when tasting this pale ale. Complex flavoring is more what one would expect from much darker ales. Very pleasant combination of sweet pear and nectarine and a cinnamon-nutmeg spiciness. Very hard to put my finger on it.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

Banana Cream Pie Float anyone? This beer is simply fantastic and consistent and can be enjoyed by itself or with a wide array of food. The packaging is one of a kind and really makes a statement about the quality you are getting. The aroma is like smelling a freshly baked banana cream pie in a bake shop with hints of vanilla, yeast, and orange. It tastes nothing like it looks, as you may be expecting a light flavor. The flavor is rich, velvety, and well balanced. I imagined frying bananas and a sprinkling of orange and lemon zest, but having a nice hop and malt balance with notes of a sourdough starter. Even though this beer is on the higher medium body scale, it is easy to drink. The finish is long, creamy, and leaves the banana flavor around for a while. My favorite paring with this was a seared foie gras, brioche, and banana/apple chutney.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Delirium Tremens comes in a cool white bottle with blue foil wrapping. An elegant touch. Pale rosy yellow. Nice frothy white foam and highly concentrated, even invisible carbonation. I also see floating yeast in the glass...lots of it.

Smell: Banana, orange, and cloves. Smells like a combination of a hefeweizen and a witbier even though it looks nothing like either.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Heavily malted and moderately hopped. Great balance of acidity of orange and creaminess of the banana. A bit watery in the finish. No evidence of alcohol.

Drinkability: Delirium Tremens lives up to its name; it leaves you delirious. I don't mean it makes you drunk, but it definitely has a dizzying effect on you. Wonderful and unparalleled.

Overall: See drinkability. Definitely experience this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap poured into a 33cl Delirium Tremens snifter, at Delirium Cafe in Brussels.

Pours a nice light golden yellow with a huge fluffy white head that looks fantastic and billowy but it slowly fades. Nose is light, hoppy and sweet - very yeasty and bready.

Taste is sweet and sharp, not much bite from the alcohol which is surprising given the strength, but it's nice. This has crazy low gravity it's amazing. Very clean finish with a light hoppiness, this is excellent on tap if you can find it.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a slightly hazy yellow color with extra large white fluffy head, good lacing, and lively carbonation. lots of lacing remains as the head quickly recedes. lots of spices in the aroma, same in the taste with some citrus lemony hints. light body and thin slick texture. smooth and very easy to drink. finishes sweet and tart with a light bitterness. moderately sweet with long flavor duration. excellent brew!

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe