Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

A brilliant brew. My first experience with this beer was during the Belgium Beer Festival in 2005, and it has been one of my favorites ever since. At first pour, it appears somewhat cloudy with light particulates, and a benign but pleasant smell; however, once it hits your tongue, it is a pleasure to behold. A complex mix of fruit/malt flavors hit the palate, and joyfully dance from front to back to one of the smoothest finishes I've yet discovered. The aftertaste leaves your mouth watering for another drop of this ambrosia. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml served in a chilled glass

Appearance - very easy and clean pour. The beer pours with about 1 finger of head that quickly drops down to some island head. The beer is a clear amber with some fine sediments floating around. There isn't much carbonation.

Smell - the smell is typically what you would expect, some fruit presents...apple, citrus based, I can also pick up some banana. There is a yeast smell as well some hidden spices.

Taste - this is where this beer excels, smooth, full beer on tasting. There is a complete taste of spice and citrus to this beer with a light aftertaste. The beer is complete from the tip of your tongue to the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel - the added carbonation brings fwd a little bitter aftertaste. The banana and citrus also combine with a little stronger presents. The beer becomes a little fuller and offers a great mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This beer has a nice spot in my world! its a solid beer with a great rating. I am told its on tap in Ottawa now, SpinRSX and I will have to hunt it down and give our review!

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours like a typical Beligian Strong Pale Ale--Hence the "4" in that category. I'd like to give it more, but let's be honest, it's the damn APPEARANCE we're talking about here, so...whatever. I guess what I'm trying to say is: It looks like every other BSPA I've ever had. Not a terribly huge head, which was a little disappointing. Then again, I guess they can't all be Duvel.

The smell, however, is a different story entirely. So much fruit enters my nostrils: Apples, pears, maybe some...pineapple? Oranges? It's all fresh, and very citrusy. The smell is definitely the best aspect of the beer so far. The head's receded fully now, and I really should take a swig, but I'm just so preoccupied with sticking my nose in this damn flute that I can't bring myself to do it! I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. Ahh, drain pour, and I'll be done with it.

Juuust kidding.

My nose hasn't led me wrong, and now my tastebuds are taking the reins, and if the beer is any indication, they're doing a fine job. Crisp, fresh, borderline champagne-like...ahem...SPARKLING WHITE WINE like...oh wait, this is from Belgium, so...ugh, I'm just confusing myself, and I'm undoubtedly confusing you even more. The net-net: This beer tastes just like a BSPA should. It's tart. It's not quite as sweet as Duvel, which probably keeps it from getting a "5" in my eyes. But it's pretty darn perfect. It feels wonderful in the mouth. All of the carbonation makes me feel like I'm celebrating with this baby on New Year's. Really, I'm just settling in to a poker game with the boys. Hey, there's never a wrong time for a good beer!

I really enjoyed this one; glad I tried it. Although next time, I think I'll head back to my trusty Duvel. But this is a close second.

3.8/5  rDev -8%

On-tap (!) at Bouchon Las Vegas, enjoyed two glasses with Thanksgiving dinner in a unlabeled snifter.

1/2 finger white head quick dissipation with minimal if any lacing, the glass could have used a quick rinse before pouring. Light gold clear body, multiple streams of carbonation. Nose is dominated by the yeast, some coriander notes, a bit of floral hops, but not much fruity esters, perhaps a bit of lemon but not much. Taste mirrors nose, surprised how how un-fruity this was. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly above average effervescence, some stickiness but a really, really dry finish. Pretty drinkable, though in retrospect I'll have a Duvel next time. Wondering how this compares to the bottled version.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

I had this beer dozens of times, but I had a bottle last night for the first time in a while and I decided to review it.

A- Golden copper color. Crystal clear with a fluffy white head

S- Ginger, clove, spiced apples

T- this beer always tastes different to me. This bottle had a nice ginger/peach thing going on with some slight clove. Bready undertones and a crisp hop finish.

M- well carbonated with a fluffy white head that will stick to your mustache.

D- this beer is excellent. I drank a whole 750mL to myself and could have drank more.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

On draft at The Evening Star in Alexandria, VA.

The beer is a mostly clear orange with a huge cap of foam that stretches past the apex of the glass and comes to a point, resembling a snowy mountain top. The aroma is of citrus, Belgian yeast, and alcohol. Delirium Tremens is a good beer, but not a great one. The flavor is more forward than the aroma, with ripe citrus fruits, spices, clove, and alcohol. I find the alcoholic aspect to be too prominent. I would prefer the potency of this brew to be disguised in a bouquet of hops and/or Belgian yeast. The feel is medium bodied, with a warming finish. One of the most easily attainable Belgian beers in the United States, and one that I often see on draft. I'm sure I'll be drinking this again at some point.

First I love the packaging. The beer itself is amazing. The three yeast strains used come together to create creamy, well balance mouth feel. It has an aroma of citrus and spice which is quite pleasant. The flavors and aroma synergy really make this an A++ beer for me.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a delirium tremens snifter glass.

cork opens with a healthy pop... pours a pale, straw yellow with a tall, two finger creamy white head... some haze to the body... decent retention, lacing.

smells is good, fairly typical of BSPAs with a strong fruit presence (apple, pear, grape, a bit of lemon zest), some belgian yeast and a bit of spice.

flavor follows through nicely with an increased showing of spice and a few peppery notes... really flavorful and tasty; great balance between the fruits, spices, and belgian yeast.

light to medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation. very drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

750 ml bottle - my second attempt at this beer as I had heard great things but was not impressed the first time.

This is a great looking beer - a nice head with a golden orange color. A fair amount of floating yeast in the glass.

The smell is good with a nice fruity flavor.

But the taste let me down. Its a very sweet beer, but I think the yeast is overpowering, making the aftertaste very rough. I was mostly left with a mess of flavor that I could not sort out - call it complex or just call it rough...

Having given DT two tries I will leave it to others to enjoy!

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Reviewed from notes. Aw, the first beer that really got me into craft beer. Had this at in Paw Paw, Michigan on a whim after seeing that somewhere had rated it the number one beer in the world. I wouldn't even put it in my top 100 now, but at the time it was by far the best thing I'd ever tasted.

Pours a nice golden color with a bit of peach coloring and a nice white head that leaves behind a really nice dose of lacing. The nose is quite fruity and spicy with some light pepper plus peach, sweet malt, light stone fruits, and a bit of Belgian yeast. Taste is equally as complex and really just melds some tropical, citrus, and stone fruits together really well and adds in a touch of booze. Nice feel. Drinks quite well and is always a bit nostalgic for me.

2.87/5  rDev -30.5%

I was fortunate to receive a 22oz. bottle as a gift (thanks, Justin!) because I never would have bought this for myself. The cork popped with little effort or fanfare. I poured it into an imperial pint glass.

The color is a bright, golden yellow and a thick white head quickly formed. I was a bit thrown off by all the solids floating in the glass...is this beer unfiltered? The head dissipated to a nice 1/4 inch thickness that remained intact. There were no lacings on the glass.

The aroma is very distinct and one-dimensional: pineapple. That's all I got. No hint of coriander or spice like I expected for this style.

Pineapple remains most prevalent once I tasted it. I picked up a bit of an earthy aftertaste with banana notes. This beer is surprisingly sweet and "spritzy" feeling in the mouth, yet finishes dry despite zero presence of hops. I almost feel like I'm drinking a can of pineapple Crush soda. This doesn't feel very "beer-like" to me.

The light and sweet mouthfeel masks the 8.5% ABV and the gassiness gave me a bad case of the hiccups. Each hiccup left me with a taste of bananas. While it's no secret I'm not a fan of Belgian-style beers, I have found others I've enjoyed (Victory Golden Monkey). This beer is not one I would recommend if you're not a big fan of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

The bottle is unique from most beers. Cork popped nicely. Poured into a tulip.

A- Deep cloudy gold with a tall foamy head and champagne bubbles. Sea foam lacing is beautiful.

S- Lightly sweet with citrus notes. Hops is in the back with hints of apple and peaches.

T- Notes of malt. Bread and honey with strong hints of orange zest, clove, and allspice. Nice banana finish.

M- Medium body, spritzy with a dry finish.

D- Clean, crisp, complex and refreshing. Very lively and vibrant with sweet and citrus fruits driving through. Very drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured great. Nice head, golden color.

S- Sweet. Hoppy.

T- This is where it lost me! Aftertaste is like walking into a dirty bathroom and no one has flushed!

M- Not heavy. We had it at room temp, but I'm sure wouldn't been better cold!

D- Smooth. Wouldn't mind drinking it again.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz painted brown bottle into a pint.

Pours a nice golden color with a fluffy white head and ample carb. Some floaties swirling around make it interesting.

Smells of slight malts, candy sweetness, belgian yeast.

Very sweet beer, delicate malt notes deliver a bready flavor, accompanied by a powerful candy and fruity like sweetness. Yeast plays a role by kicking in a slight spice. Good luck finding hops.

Mouthfeel is a little wet, medium bodied.

Very drinkable, but watch the ABV.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

The cork on the bottle popped to the ceiling when I opened the bottle. It poured a clear medium yellowish color with a one finger white head. The smell was of various fruits and spice. This beer had a crisp and clean feel and was highly drinkable. It is one of my favorites.

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%

on-tap at Bulls Head Public House in Lititz, PA

A- a very clear yellow that leaves some frothy head that dissipates semi-quickly for a Belgian. Leaves little lacing.

S- Citrus, Peaches, Sugar and Belgian Yeast

T- all sorts of fruit. Bananas, Peaches, Pineapples, with a really muted candy sugar note. The Belgian yeast taste really, really nice on this one. A touch of hops bitterness on the tail end drys things out.

M- thin, and bubbly.

D- Significantly more drinkable than most Belgians, I can have more than just 1. This is really, really good Belgian beer.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

I am not sure quite why this is rated so highly in beer surveys. It is good, but it pales in comparison to other Belgian standouts such as La Chouffe. This beer is perfectly nice, but not one I will remember longingly.

Pours bright clear yellow with a dense white head that leaves no lacing. The aroma is sharp and slightly vinegary. The flavor is highly fruity, with apricot, lemon, allspice, peach. The mouthfeel is thin and extremely prickly. Wish it had more substance.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

The color of this beer is a golden color. Has a fizzy head that mellows to a slightly creamy head. Smells like a belgian trippel. Malty with a hint of candi sugar. The taste is very sweet and fizzy. The alcohol shines through very slightly. It is a drinkable beer.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Pale Yellow with bits of dregs that look like small snowflakes. Extremely tight thick white head.

S- Whoa very phenolic. But second whiff and some citrus is comming out.

T- Very light on the tounge. First is a blast of spicy, peppery yeast. That fades into a crisp malt. Finishes with a great citrus note, prehaps a bit grassy. Alcohol is well hidden.

M- Highly carbed. It's a light and crisp.

D- This is a fantastic beer. This is one that you really don't want to share. Great Belgian.

Delirium Tremens is my all-time favorite beer.

A- yellow goodness that's a bit cloudy

S- fresh citrus

T- smooth banana and citrus taste that finishes with a note.

M- pops with flavor and bubbles a bit

D- couldn't imagine a friday evening without it... tasty beer that has some serious strength.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Bomber poured into tulip.

A - opened w an explosion. Poured a thin straw yellow w a tall frothy head. Really vibrant carbonation.

S - yum. Bubble gum, banana, citrus, candied sugar, clove. Almost saturation like. Really inviting.

T - taste follows the nose. Nice medley of citric flavors. A touch bitter. Pretty subtle.

M/D - smooth, nothing to write home about. Nothing offensive or notable about it. For a SBPA, I find that there are better options at this price point, but always a solid goto and it isn't odd to see it as an option at a restaurant or a bar.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color topped with a decent white head. The aroma is pretty strong for the BSPA's I've had. The strongest that comes to me is ripe green apple, with some pear and spice.

The taste is right on the aroma. Bold, crisp fruity flavors. Apple, pear, and a little banana come to mind. Mildly sweet with a little clove and black pepper spice. The finish is somewhat dry with a slight tang and bitterness. The alcohol is certainly present, but well integrated.

Mouthfeel is medium-thin and smooth with a lively carbonartion. Tremens has big aroma and flavor, and is very drinkable. Easily surpasses my experience with the Nocturnum.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Smell is a diverse one...there's definite sweet fruit, peppery spices, Belgian yeast and some alcohol showing through as well.

Pours a nice, cloudy blonde in the glass with a small head.

A nice fruit sweetness of a tropical nature is evident from the get go here. When held in the mouth, it has a distinct melon flavor to it. With that is a good dose of Belgian yeastiness...and some of the pepper found on the nose. Pretty good sweetness here without being cloying...delicious. Finish has a bit of tanginess to it...and a smattering of hop bitterness that closes it out. The alcohol doesn't seem evident for me, which is impressive given the ABV.

Definitely a very drinkable and recommended Belgian classic here. I could drink this all day....but definitely wouldn't because it would get dangerous really fast!

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a snifter at Durty Nellie's.

Time to revisit one of my initial forays into international craft beer. It pours a clear golden straw topped by over a finger of white froth. The nose comprises coriander, wheat, banana, clove, and ginger. The taste holds notes of banana, lemon zest, clove, rye bread (nearly a sourdough), and a light sprinkling o' black pepper. The body is a sorta hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a very nice brew, just as good as I remember it being. Now I've gotta re-grab the other Deliriums...

A good strong golden ale, rather iconic in the years since its creation in 1989, and a bit over-hyped.

Presentation: 750 ml corked and painted brown bottle resembling white ceramic (the initial batch seems to have been done with cheap overstocked bottles from a German brewer, and after the success they stuck with the painted appearance.) Blue label with pink elephants, masked green gators and purple dragons riding a golden ball, golden touches in the fonts with the name of the brew (Some argue that the meaning on the label resides on a metaphor of the ingredients, while the brewery notes that it was the design of an art student who flunked graphic design and got a couple of cases as payment.) Cork notes date (2009) and label offers a notched date (04 09). Shows Alc. by Vol. (8,5%) Served in a snifter.

A - Hazy gold pour, good frothy head and retention with some surface memory and touches of lacing.

S - Yeasty and fruity nose, with a spicy touch.

T - Good yeasty range with the same spicy touch, coriander, maybe a tad peppery, and a fruity nuances toward the finish, peachy with a grassy hint.

M - Medium-full with high carbonation, and a push for a dry touch in the finish.

D - Nice drink, pleasing to have with a nicely integrated boozy side.

Notes: All in all it is a good brew, the style and how the fruity profile come together might not be my thing, and in some circles it is slightly over-hyped, in particular if one thinks of other offerings out there. But all in all it is a good brew.

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe