Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

poured on-tap into a DT snifter, the beer follows most of its characteristics found when poured from the bottle. Its mild and smooth while having enough interesting qualties to the flavor to keep each sip enjoyable. Fruity belgian pale with just a touch of spice. Estery and acetaldehyde notes in the flavor, just as from the bottle. The mouth is full-bodied for a pale, not watery and with crisp carbonation. Straw-like color with foamy head. Easily drinkable, you could definitely have nothing but DT all night and (barring the quick intoxication) not wind up feeling too full or put off by sweetness/spice/anything in the flavor.

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

The foam poured out of the bottle when I popped the cap. Surprisingly, the head was moderate and bright white, receding quickly. The beer has a bright yellow color, relatively transparent.

I might be drinking this a little too cold, so I am going to take my time. There are some very nice Belgian sugars in the nose. The beer is highly carbonated. The sugars are fairly muted at this temperature, and a lot of sourness pervades. The beer is very volatile and foams in the mouth.

I don't know, I'm not that impressed. The malts are sour, and any of the good sugar taste is hidden. And it's very highly carbonated. I love their brew pub in Brussels, though!

Presentation: 11.2oz pretty painted faux-ceramic foiled bottle

Appearance: Fairly bright dark gold beer; I rushed the pour at the end a little bit so the typical big flakey Delirium yeast is present, there's a big super creamy white cap as well, with tons of Champagne-like CO2

Smell: BIG yeast and spice with maybe just a hint of banana; classic BSPA

Taste: Very mild for the strength; everything comes together pretty smoothly; there's light fruity Belgian yeast, hints of spice, candy sugar, obvious warming alcohol, and a bit of dusty yeasty dryness at the end

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied

Drinkability: This could be a bit dangerous, though you do notice the alcohol as it warms

Conclusion: Good example of the style...always a classic

2.72/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: Mildly cloudy, pale yellow color. It looks a bit like a cloudy Budweiser or something. The head is about 2 fingers worth and dissipates quickly with little lacing.
Nose: The familiar Belgian style smell, but it's nothing impressive. A little fruity - I get white grapes.
Taste: I get that grape taste, with some red apple in there as well. The taste hits you right off the bat, then fades almost as quickly as it arrives. There's a faint hint at Belgian goodness, but does not have any lasting power.
Mouthfeel: It's very thin. It feels a bit watery. There carbonation doesn't jump out at all. It's present, but doesn't play a role one way or the other.
Drinkability: Great I suppose. There's no overpowering flavor to wear out the palette and the 8.5 ABV doesn't make itself known much at all.
Overall: Belgians make mediocre beer too. There is nothing special about this. There wasn't one part of this beer I was impressed with. Though you could probably get into some trouble because you can slam it back pretty easily. I imagine this is what Belgian college kids play Beirut with. Sweet bottle though.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

I've had in a bottle and on tap.

Ths is a good overall ale, its got a good gold color with a pretty good white head. There is some lacing here, but nothing great.

It has a decent aroma smelling a little citrus and very hoppy.

It tastes good but nothing special. Its a strong ale you can drink, kinda like Duvel.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a pale hazy gold with mega fucking floaties in it. Like, that wasn't a bad pour, it just has large yeast flecks all through it. Bead is strong, as is head, off-white in colour and sizzles softly but retains, without sinking. Lacing is pretty decent. Looks unique, if nothing else.

Nose is very Belgian and particularly sour. Has a good belt of vinegar and green grape skin, a slightly meaty or tomatoey edge as well. Not much spice but a fair amount of funk, quite champagney and reasonably nice.

Taste is very similar - very sour, tangy and kind of funky. Fair amount of wild barnyard character with a furry aspect at the back of my throat. Flavours of vinegar, underripe cherry, tomato and unripe berries. Noticeable alcohol towards the back, isn't really hidden because the beer finished quite short. Most of the flavour is on the front and while there is a nice citrusy kick to the back, it fades away and the boozey strength hits you at the same time. A bit phenolic on the mid as well, but is really dominated by a sour flavour throughout. Lacks that Belgian spice, although the yeast is obviously well utilised to create all that funk.

Mouthfeel is quite tangy, with a strong carbonated feel, maybe too much. Feels nicely thick though, just burns a bit.

While I don't really enjoy this, it's obviously a respectable beer, and in spite of its heavy flavour and character I detect a lot of fine, subtle touches throughout the palate. It's very meticulous, even though the end result doesn't agree with me much.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from 750 into snifter.

A- Pours pale straw yellow with a lively active head. Small, loose bubbles. Lacing is minimal but still present.

S- Plums are at the front. Malt sweetness, perhaps. Dextrin-like qualities. Faint tea/honey fragrance

T- Light, yet delicious. This beer is mildy flavored with a tart sweetness; a fleeting taste at first sip. Very very nice, giving this a 5 for amazing flavor.

M- Again, wonderful. Decent carbonation (but not too much) keep this feeling like a fizzy cider or apple juice. Simply put: awesome.

D- Fairly high with respect to the alcohol content. A 750 is a tall order, but delicious. Split with a friend to have a good time. I can't say enough good things about this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

A- Hazy gold with tons of bubbles and a two finger head.

S- Banana, fresh citrus zest with some mellow spicyness.

T- Biscuity malt makes up the backbone the whole way. Fruity esters showcasing banana, green apple and lemon bring about some complexity. A mild pleasing bitterness brings up the finish along with peppery alcohol.

M- Refreshing, carbonation is a little on the harsh side.

D- A nice go to Belgian beer.

Not my favorite but it's worthy of being a staple belgian beer.

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

Delirium Tremens produces massive amounts of bright white head, even with the gentles pour. It actually takes about five minutes to pour an entire 33cl bottle. The body is golden in color with lots of sediment floating around, and the lacing sticks well to the sides of my glass.

Aromas are floral with hints of dextrin, honey, and pear.

I taste grape, cotton candy, and a slight brisk husk finish.

The mouthfeel is very prickly, coarse, and ends with a presence of alcohol.

This brew is well balanced and complex with lots of different angles of character.

3.8/5  rDev -8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Pale like a pilsner. Head starts out huge but fades disappointingly quickly.

S: Very fruity and spicy. Very reminiscent of bubble gum.

T: Again, big on the bubble gum. A bit of alcohol tingle. The sugary sweetness becomes rather cloying in a hurry.

M: Heavy and syrupy but with carbonation.

D: This was actually the beer that brought me into the craft world. I was attending a law school function at Brasserie Beck, and this was one of the beers available. It inspired me to look into other Belgians, and from there, I moved into the American craft scene. So it definitely has nostalgic value for me. It still holds up fairly well in its own right, but there's a ton of other Belgians I'd have before it.

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%

11.2floz bottle into duvel tulip

A - A bright yellow/golden colour with a huge fluffy white head, creamy and bubbly. Looks exactly like a duvel (especially since it is in the duvel glass!). the characteristic huge head and color make it look like a great beer. The big head doesn't last very long, though the layer it does leave is about half a fingers worth. Lacing is abundant and all over the glass.

S - just cut granny smith apples are the only really noticeable scents coming out of this one. Not too overwhelming either. It might be because the drink is still cold or that this is just the way the brew is, but the initial scent is broad malt notes, all subtle, and then come out the apple notes.

T - taste is reminiscent of a sparkling white wine: slightly fruity with some dry alcohol definitely bearing its own in the taste. Initial taste has dry tartness like a white wine, maybe some yeast presence but mainly this fruity dryness, which I equate to a white wine. Yeah, the tastes in the finish are definitely of fermented white grapes with some alcohol. Aftertaste is a fruity grape flavour, with some sweeter malt in the rear. Taste fades quickly leaving a simple sweetness in the mouth.

MF&D - good body, nothing special though. The carbonation quickly fades from its former, abundant, self. Perhaps a bit thin in body, though debatable (was a lot more appetizing when much colder)

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Poured with a huge, frothy white head that was mostly diminishing to about 1/2-finger size. Body was cloudy and dark yellow, with lots of particles (some quite large) floating around. High carbonation. Great aroma... heavy yeast, with some citrus in there as well. Medium body on the palate, slightly creamy, and very fizzy. Flavor is initially sweet and slightly acidic, and finishes with a long-lasting alcohol taste that causes some warmth in the back of the throat. A very solid Belgian strong pale ale... not my favorite, but still damned impressive.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a clear golden with a big rocky white head. Plenty of lacing left on the glass.

Smell is dominated by the phenolic scent with some fruity background.

The taste is also dominated by a big phenolic taste. A big banana and bubblegum taste followed by a sweet apple and fig taste in the background. A lot of sweetness rounded out by some alcohol as it warms.

The mouthfeel is a medium with a little crispness from the carbonation.

This is very drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

I had an empty bottle on my shelf because I like the unique color and wild trippy label. Then I looked on the list and saw that I forgot to review this. So, I bought another one.

This beer caught me off guard and had an incredible uncontrolled head. Eventually, I got it all in the glass. Lace stayed on the glass throughout, but I wa surprised that the hea went away to a less than quarter inch layer.

The flavor was much like Duvel with a few differences. The taste was hops and citrus. A rather dry finish but in a good way. The mouth feel is not as good as I expected with not quite enough carbonation, at least for what I expect. The beer is strong yet very drinkable. My kids got to go to the bar where they brew this stuff. I am now jealous.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Served in tulip. Poured a beautiful hazy gold color. A bright white head had decent retention and left great lacing.

A lovely spiced aroma greets the nose, with some fruit scent blended in. Flavors follow along but are more prominent. Those spicy, yeasty flavors are what is expected of the style, and well done in this example.

The body is just shy of full, but very pleasant and satisfying. The drinkability is exceptional, but you should use caution if you have more than a couple.

A far above average example of the style.

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

My girlfriend swears this beer makes her delirious. I think it makes me drunk. Pours a nice gold with low carbonation and 1 1/2 finger head. Oakey scents. Very smooth, almost, watery. Typical sweet Belgian alcohol taste but not too strong. I've had the bottle, which was much better. "How Sweet it Is" just came on and the beer is tasting better. Feels so fine.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Picked up a bottle to have at Beer Run in C'ville... just finished rubbing some hop cones up through my hands, so I'm having to let the hoppy aroma settle a bit to properly smell it.

A: Crisp and clean looking golden blonde. Creamy white head holds up amazingly well... one of the best retentions I think I've seen in quite some time.

S: Alcohol, yeast esters, and a touch of leafy hops. I tend to miss hops in a lot of Belgian ales, so it's nice to smell them in there.

T: Somewhat spicy, sweet esters providing a touch of a fruitiness, though with a touch of solvent flavour to it. The alcohol is not particularly hidden, but it does add a nice dynamic to the beer.

M + D: A richer, medium body. Touch of dryness on the finish, but it's right on the back, I find. Slightly syrupy until that point, and a bit of alcohol warmth. I'm kinda surprised that it took so long to get into this one, but I suppose late is better than never. An enjoyable brew.... eventually, I'll be back for more.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a murky straw colour. Sediment was not noticeable at first but on a more thorough look quite a bit of it was seen floating amidst the haze. Good thing I'm not scared of sediment! Head was out of control. Make sure to pour this one nice and slowly. Retention was very good (unfortunatley for me thanks to my over robust pour). Lacing was marvelous.

Smell was a peppery spiciness, and a lot of fruity esters. That acidic grape skin kind of aroma you get in many dry whites. But theres a very nice malt base behind all of it. I got a whiff of a fairly pungent acidity at times, which added a lot of character to me but like all things pungent could be a drawback to those who don't dig it.

A fruitiness, astringency mixed with some sweetness. Lots of phenols. Alcohol is evidently very well hidden as I'm really tipsy now and wasn't intending on getting to this stage, but the alcohol is still present enough to add its own character to the proceedings. Theres a very smooth malt backbone that reminds you this is a beer and together with a slight bitter hoppiness at the end provides a perfect balance to all the sweetness and astringency and spiciness.

It's a heavy drink but not really heavy bodied. Lots of fizz acts to lighten this brew up a lot too. At first this gave me a wet sensation but by the end I was finding this very crisp and dry.

I found this very drinkable for the style. Usually these strong, fizzy and astringent 'champagne' like ales leave my mouth feeling stale but this is the first exception I've found, and as mentioned the malt backbone gives a smoothness that balances the rest of it out. Saying that, I wouldn't really want to drink more than one.

Really enjoyed this, not my favourite kind of style but I loved this one all the same

1.79/5  rDev -56.7%

Got this one from Ludachris from his trip to Nova Scotia. I double checked the label, and it's not due to go bad until Nov 2011, because I'm not going to lie this beer is getting slammed from this experience.

Appearance: Well, this beer has head that both laces and retains like crazy. This of course must lead to why I'm giving it such a low score. The amount of sediment and particles in this beer is outright revolting. The are dark brown particles in the head, and there are pieces; yes pieces of what looks to be dissolved bread in the beer itself. It's so bad, it's hard to even notice the out of control carbonation. Seriously, this would be a 1, if the head wasn't so impressive and even then, I'm half tempted to anyways. If the bottle itself wasn't wrapped in foil, I'd suspect some form of product tampering.

Smell: It does smell somewhat fruity, with a mainly sour apple scent to it and a dusting of hops and a bit of an acidic odor. It's ok I guess, and it's pretty strong but it just doesn't quite sit right.

Taste: Awful stuff, it tastes like bad champagne, made with barely and apples instead of grapes. No hop presence, no transition of flavors and you can definitely tell it has a LOT of alcohol content. I'm being generous on this one though, because I'm assuming something went wrong when they made this.

Mouthfeel: Way too much carbonation, way too much of an acidic presence. The head tastes sandy and the body has the consistency of drinking watered down oatmeal, with all the sediment floating in it. No redeeming qualities here, whatsoever.

Drinkability: You know what, my brain knows better then to drink this past the 1/8 mark, which was pushing it as is. I'm half tempted to strain it though a coffee filter. Revolting to the taste and seems to be souring in my stomach. This is the fastest I have ever drain poured a beer.

Final Thoughts: One time when I was younger, I left a bowl of corn pops at the table during the day, and didn't get back to it until some eight hours later. Needless to say, my parents were less then impressed, but the remains of those over saturated corn pops are what the particles in this beer remind me of, only that they are a bit smaller.

I truly do hope that this was a bad bottle, because this was seriously a joke. Ludachris, if you are reading this, I'm going to take a picture of the beer, just to show you what I mean. I've never had a beer, so highly rated on BA perform so poorly.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Light yellow color with lots of carbonation and a good white head.

S: Fruity, sweet, spiced, and some yeast.

T: Very nice spice and that wonderful Belgian yeast flavor, some mild fruit. Also a dryness that I found pleasing.

M: Very crisp and dry beer. Very bubbly, too.

D: Great drinkability, goes down very easy, even with a considerable alcohol content.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Aroma - Clove spice, raisins, and plenty of sweetness.

Appearance - Clear, yellow, good carbonation and a big white head.

Taste - A good balance of spice and dryness and a sweet fruitiness that balances this beer out. Just a straight up good tasting beer.

Notes - Good level of carbonation on the mouthfeel. A tasty beer that might be in my top 10.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Poured a cloudy, orange color with golden highlights. It had a large, foamy, thick, rocky head that left some nice sticky lace.

S - It smelled of dried fruit, yeast and clove. There was a sweet caramel nose.

T - Rich malty taste with dried fruit, like raisin and plum. It had a nice spicy yeast flavor.

M - This had a nice crisp mouthfeel with a dry finish. A medium bodied beer with a warm alcohol presence.

D - This is a really good brew. Even better on tap than from the bottle.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Beer pours up with a big, creamy head that lingers. The rich gold color is true to style. The aroma is lemon and orange zest, clove, maybe some warm banana notes (banana bread?). The taste is honeysuckle, clove, and a citrus finish... all balanced by the sweetness of light malt. The beer has the perfect amount of carbonation and a mouthfeel that is light and smooth without being watery. I picked this beer up on a lark, and I was surprised and delighted with what I discovered.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml bottle split with a coworker

Pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with a large long lasting white head. Sweet, Belgian yeasty nose, lots of bubblegum with some mild vanilla notes and a small touch of bitterness. Quality malt character with a semi sour green apple note, ive noticed that the Tremens doesnt have the sharp spice character normally associated with Tripels. Round and smooth with almost no alcohol presence. Lots of carbonation, medium bodied and very drinkable. Classic, without a doubt.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Ordered this at Spike's last night as the last beer on my "Around the World" list. I'm wearing my sweet new T-shirt right now.

Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter.

Appearance: Body is pale gold and clear with tons of suspended yeast particles that resemble orange juice pulp. Lively carbonation feeds a thin, white, fizzy head for the entire session. Head is quite sticky and drags a lot of stringy lacing.

Smell: Sour malt, dough, clove, and spice. Alcohol also detected. Pleasant.

Taste: A collection of sour, floral, and spicy notes. Good deal of malt in this one, though there are definitely some spicy hops in the finish. Clove, flowers, and dry alcohol complete the flavor spectrum.

Mouthfeel: Generously carbonated, warm, dry, and spicy.

Drinkability: This is a slow drink, though I enjoyed it quite a bit. No way in hell am I ever paying $8.50 for a 330mL bottle again (price at Spike's), but I could see myself buying another one of these elsewhere at some point.

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe