Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Tremens Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer was served in a tulip glass. It came a honey gold with a half centimeter of foam rubber head. The bubbles in the glass were lazily making their way to the top in no particular hurry. Didn’t leave much lacing, however. Smelled of honey, light brown sugar and pears with a spicy pear-like yeast and a little banana. Tasted of smooth light molasses, pears, banana, plumbs and green grape. There was a clean, dry spicy yeast here with a slight hop finish. The mouth feel was very heavy, but not very viscous with only a slight carbonation. Kind of felt watery. This is a very nice beer, but the mouth feel is a big turn off.

I must say, I had this on tap this time, but EVERY time in the past when I’ve tried a bottle, there were huge clumpy yeast balls floating around in it.

DarkerTheBetter, Dec 15, 2005

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a thick fine textured head. Spices mingle with a citrusy aroma, very similar to a hefeweizen.
Taste is slightly bitter with a citrus overtone, spices assert themselves quite well. Creamy mouthfeel with a lingering bitterness on the palate. Overall, a pretty decent beer but not the best that Delirium has to offer.

LarryV, Dec 09, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: The first thing I notice is the VERY big, white, soapy head. The beer itself is a semi-hazy golden-bronze. A sassy-looking ale.

Smell: Very complex. Yeasty, bready, clove-infused, somewhat vinous. A lot of fruit/vegetable aromas, including celery, tomato, bell pepper, and apple, and there's definitely a sage-like character to it. Smells a bit like sake, too. Alcohol is highly detectable. Wow!

Taste: Hmm... not what I expected. Bread/yeast are the dominant flavors, with some stewed tomato-like sweetness and tang and light, herbal spice. Would go well with Italian or Chinese food, or any cuisine high in glutamates.

Mouthfeel: Nice body. Very smooth and slightly chewy.

Drinkability: The high alcohol (and price) is a tad prohibitive, but this is very drinkable. Would be great to serve at a dinner with friends. Strong enough to stand up against flavorful foods, subtle enough to not be intrusive, but interesting enough to raise some eyebrows. Good stuff!

soulgrowl, Dec 06, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

This is my first Belgium Strong Pale Ale, and it is certainly a nice one. I was very pleased by the design of the bottle. Not incredible detailed, but it did seem kind of an interesting choice for a bottle. It had some nice figures on it that kept you curious as to what laid inside. The creamy white bottle texture set the mood as to what would come next.

A: Lasting foamy white head, golden body, and somewhat cloudy texture. The appearance is what I expected. The head was pretty nice though I thought.
S: Strong smells of sweet exotic fruits and spices that give this beer a lot of character, not like anything I’ve smelt before.
T: Lots of carbonation! Even more of those sweet fruits with some spice and hops mixed with a bit of bitterness at the end which grows stronger as it warms. It has a bit of a candy like sweetness especially due to the high carbonation I think.
M: High carbonation levels that shock your tongue and palate a little, it has a bit of an alcoholic kick about it as your taste buds warm up to the taste, or maybe they hide in shock. It does leave an interesting aftertaste.
D: Not the most drinkable beer out there, especially initially. It helps to drink this one slowly at first because it does get smoother as you drink it. Maybe it has something to do with the carbonation and blend of fruits that just keeps you from taking it all in too fast. I don’t know if I could drink too much of this, but in a lot of ways it can be very comforting, especially on a cold day. The alcohol levels should keep most satisfied. I started to feel it long before I was finished.

I am looking forward to trying this on tap sometime soon. Good beer that had a nice lasting impression on my palate, definitely not the first thing to have in a drinking session. As for my first BSPA, I will definitely search out some others because I am quite impressed by the style.

ovrlrd, Dec 06, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -16.9%

With it’s very remarkable label with the pink elephants, this one draws very much attention.Color was dark orange, little murky, lots of flaky yeast, Too much carbonation for my liking.
The smell was that of malt, hops and fruity, spicy. Also some solvent-like smell, like Westmalle tripel.
Taste was malty, fruity, loads of hop, bitter, herbs, straw and very dry. Measuring the FG was 1006. From well informed sources I know that this beer contains grains of paradise, ginger and coriander, which explain the fruity, exotic taste.
Aftertaste was bitter, but this faded away pretty fast.

Absumaster, Dec 02, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear golden color with a half inch of head made up of small white bubbles. I poured it a bit too aggressively, so I go a tad of sediment from the bottom of the bottle :-( The head stayed for at least a minute to fall to a small ring maintained by the bubbles rising.

Aroma: Super reserved aroma. I get a little citrus from what I believe are hops, and there is a bit of a Sulfur aroma that I am guessing is the result of a bunch of Pilsner malt. There is a dry wheat-like aroma noticeable as it warms a bit. As well, there is a bit of a metallic aroma coming out in the warm beer.

Taste: The beer is really dry and refreshing. I expected it to be a bit chewier from the aroma, but instead the beer is well attenuated and fizzes its way right across your palate. There is a lemony citrus component that I didn't get in the aroma at all. It shows up in the middle of the profile. The beer finishes dry with a minimal chalky flavor to mix with the warming to linger long into the finish.

Opinion: When you get a beer like this, it is hard to classify it. It is in the same category as Duvel, but it is in no way a Duvel clone. This beer is flavorful, while it has a reserved aroma. It is really clean, but I am afraid that this beer may be oxidizing a bit to make the dry chalky flavor more noticeable. This is a tasty beer, but I would like to look for a fresher example.

SkeeterHawk, Dec 01, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

I am drinking the ale from a chalice-style glass.

Appearance: Golden ale, very translucent. No sediment or other unknown floaties noted.

Smell: I've got a bit of a cold, but I clearly smell some spices (maybe a touch of honey?). The smell is pleasing, and I can smell the alcohol in the brew.

Taste: Clean, crisp taste. There is not an overwhelming hops taste. I also clearly taste the alcohol, as this weighs in at a hefty 8.5%. The balance is nice though and I don't feel like I am drinking liquor.

Mouthfeel: Feels very nice on the palate. Spices again come through when the ale is allowed to warm on the tongue. There is a bit of an alcohol aftertaste, although it is fleeting and does not drag down the beer.

Drinkability: This beer fits nicely into the style. It is strong but very drinkable provided that you have a designated driver. I encourage the drinker to allow the beer to warm up a bit to room temperature, as it brings a whole new level of taste to the beer.

akorsak, Nov 27, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazy pale gold, with a nice two finger head slow slowly fades to a thick cap, and leaves thick sheets of lacing.

Smell; citrus, hay, cloves, and just a bit of alcohol.

Taste; cloves and spices, a little lemony citrus, followed by that barnyard hay, and finishing with a bit of an alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is nice and thick, but gets a bit of a hit due to a little to much carbonation for my liking. Wouldn't mind having more of these if they were available in my area.

RedHaze, Nov 22, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Nice pale yellow- a good bit hazy. The head is very large and foamy white. As it recedes very slowly, it leaves an ample wet lace behind.

Aroma is very light- nicely fruity, spicy and sweet..

Flavour is yeasty up front- a woody maltiness builds behind, and it finishes with some licorice and spice.

Liquid is just under medium thickness, with a high light carbonation.

Not the most drinkable I've had before....but not bad. There's a hearty core that might get slightly intense if you're expecting something as light as it looks in the glass.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Nov 15, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a light golden color, with a fizzing white head that just explodes in the pour, even when poured with care. While it drops down to a cap very quickly, that cap stays around as I can *see* it being replenished just as quickly as it tries to fade. Tons of visible carbonation.

Smells of bananas, cloves, and spices.

Tastes of champagne, limes, and raisins. The hops hit as an almost lemongrass dryness. Very dry but balanced.

Mouthfeel is fizzy, tingly, and dry. It is intensely carbonated, and this thins the body out quite a bit. Probably a good thing, as it would be pretty dry otherwise. An almost vinegar aftertaste is left behind.

It's a slow sipper, due to the dryness and carbonation, but rewarding enough to keep working on. I wonder how it'd stack up after being aged?

waldowin, Nov 02, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ah, what a special beer. Beautiful yellow to orange/amber color with an enormous, thick, rocky head that lasts. The smell is heady alcohol with yeast, sweet malt, and more alcohol. It is heady and wonderful. Drinkability is hurt a little by the booze, especially if it warms too much; but don't drink it too cold either. Wonderful stuff really. Perhaps not the most graceful alcohol in the world but very enjoyable.

texashammer, Oct 31, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a light yellowish-orange with a thick (and I mean THICK, watch how you pour this!) head that settles down to a 1/2 finger covering. WOW, higher than expected carbonation, tons of bubbles endlessly rising to the top of the glass. Aroma is almost candy-sweet & fruity. Taste is malty, with some hints of banana & clove thrown in. Very lively and crisp on the tongue with some alcohol bitterness on the swallow. Very smooth and almost TOO drinkable for an 8.5% abv belgian. I may be seeing those pink elephants sooner than I thought!! Damned good stuff!!!

CJfromPhilly, Oct 29, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -29.8%

Dance with the pink elephants as you enjoy this brew. Pours a light reddish-brown color, with not much head. The flavor is sweet, and seems to change from moment to moment. I can smell candy, spice, and fruit, but all at different sips. And sip you should, because the 9% ABV will trample you like a herd of elephants!

alysmith4, Oct 25, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this beer on tap at Old Chicago. Very nice ale that I would describe as a combination between a Hefeweizen and a Pale Ale. It has citrusy flavors and a subtle hop flavor that becomes more prominent as the drink goes on.

There is a lot of alcohol in this guy so I think I could not drink many. Despite being a head busting 9% (still a newbie ;)) the alcohol is relatively well concealed.

I would definitely order again!

--Joey

Joey7F, Oct 22, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Poured this beauty into a the Delirium Tremens glassware (tulip shaped goblet). Pours with a one inch or so head and a fair amount of carbonation. A great hazy golden color. Head sticks around pretty well and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Smells very yeasty, fruity, candy-ish. Has a bit of a sweet hay smell to it.

Taste: Tastes is fruity, yeasty, strong, but not overpowering. Catch a hint of the alcohol but nicely balanced considering the content. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is pretty good on this. Full body, glides over the tongue with a great finish. Has a bit of a creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. This is something I'd make a regular in my rotation if I could afford to do so.

stof0048, Oct 18, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A belgian beer, strong like a fruity, powerful beer like most of the belgian strong beers; beer with generous cuantity of alcohol; good like an appetizer; for cheese and german cuisine; in general a superior belgian beer; full bodied; try serve in a goblet glass; 90% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 17, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

This is one of many "new" Beligian selections at John's Grocery in Iowa City. After trying it a few times, it's began to grow on me when at first I was disappointed that it didn't quite live up to its hype.

The beer pours to a pale blond color with a thick creamy white foam that sticks around for the whole glass and leaves a great lacing. When held to the light the beer reveals an excellent carbonation and a few chunks are noticable, but nothing remotely disturbing (almost looks like carbonation).

The smell is a bit hoppy with some funky yeast and candi sugar sweet. Very nice balance of aromas. Doesn't overwhelm like many belgian beers but doesn't pull any of its punches either.

The taste is a slightly sweeter extension of the nose. The candi sugar is on the forefront with some funky malty and yeasty flavors followed by a herbal, grassy hop. Very little bitterness despite the hoppiness, but has a dry alcohol burn in the finish. Has a very creamy body and coats the mouth for an even drier alcohol burn. This is a good one to enjoy as the weather begins to cool down.

neonbrown82, Oct 17, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 11.2oz pseudo-ceramic bottle. Two 4s are stamped on the back label, but I don't think this has anything to do with freshness. Wish the name was a little less frightening...

A - Golden pale yellow. Pours a hefty head, billowy and fluffy. Nice carbonation streams throughout the beer's life.

S - Fruit, floral & spice, just a hint of alcohol, malty goodness

T - Nice n' sweet, fruit is dominant, not a trace of alcohol. I'm getting just a tinge of bitterness in the aftertaste. Not quite as complex as I like, but its pleasant anyway.

M - Lots of carbonation. BEERchitect was right when he said it nearly numbed the mouth.

D - Not too shabby. Alcohol is well hidden, but you may feel it later. Good year round: warming in winter, light & fruity enough for summer (for those of us with distinct seasons).

Overall, I've had better Belgian Strong Pale Ales, but I'd choose this over lots of other beers in a heart beat. Wish I had some fine cuisine to go with this tasty brew. Instead, I am dining on Kraft Mac & Cheese. Alas, such is the life of a BA in college.

gmcfarre, Oct 14, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Tasted on 9th Oct 2005, a 330ml bottle with a BB date of March 08. Gimmickey gray bottle, with a dodgy blue label with pink elephants, green alligators et. Cost me a staggering €3.95 in Molloys, Dublin.

I have been meaning to try this for some time, but it is not always available. Poured into a Chimay glass a nice hazy golden colour with a noisy bubbling off-white head. Head deteriorated to leave a light lacing.
Smell was muted, light fruits present.
Taste was a bit of a shock; a mouthwash type sensation overpowering the other fruity flavours. No malts, and little hops tasted.
Mouthfeel was fresh and fairly lively.
Drinkability; it improved as I got through it, but I'm afraid that this one is not really for me.

JohnfromDublin, Oct 10, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

I was so impressed by this Belgian pale.

I love the bottle, which I have added to my overall appearance score above. An opaque whiteish-gray bottle with pink elephants on the label....brilliant! The beer itself poured into the glass a lovely golden color with a pure white head, that lasted almost the entire beer. Maybe it would have faded..if I didn't drink it so quickly from the pure ecstasy of it all.

Great smell, some definite either clove or corriander (can't really tell between the two yet), and that lovely banana smell that lingers nicely on my slightly pedestrian tastebuds as I drink it. In my somewhat limited experience of drinking Belgians, this had all of the characteristics that I attribute to a great Belgian-style ale.

The special bonus was no tangy aftertaste, like it was sitting for too long, or was stored in a tin can. Nice, clear, crisp, perfect!

Smittysguinness, Oct 07, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +15%

Pours a lazy yellow color with a hazy chill. A fantastic head retention that lasted throughout the drink as a whole. Really no gaps. The lacing was good but did decrease over time.

The nose has a fruity aroma with a complex Belgium malt and sweetness. There is a slight campaign feel to it with the carbonation. Some apples and peaches mix with a flowery nose mixed with honey. Some phenol smells but rather light for a high ABV.

The taste is great. A complex malt but more of a lighter Belgium pale was noticeable. Stronger esters and a good banana flavor are present. A smoothness to it with some lighter spice flavor, mostly coriander. Lighter fig taste with an apple tart rounds out a great tasting Belgian beer. The hops blend smoothly with the malt and a more noted candy flavor overall. A great tasting Belgium.

Overall the taste is very smooth with medium to light carbonation. The beer is very easy to drink with a hidden high ABV to it. Great taste and such a smoothness that not all Belgians can do.

Oxymoron, Oct 02, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Great beer. It kept evoking thoughts of grapefruit. A hint of tartness. Bitterness smooths out and does not linger. Of course classic Belgian yeast flavors. This is pretty much the definitive example of the style for me. I pick one of these up nearly every time i travel (since we don't have these in AL because of arcane beer laws yadda yadda).

Bonhoeffer, Sep 30, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

750 ML bottle with the cork dated 2005.

Pours a clear true golden brew with a beautiful snow white head.

Smell is sweet apples and peaches, spices, coriander, flowers and honey. A slight sour scent to this like granny smith apples. And for some reason I smell an ocean breeze in here, something gives the impression of salt in the smell.

Taste is sweet and spicy from the start. Lots of fruit flavors, apples and peaches with a little plum in there too. Lots of floral flavors like lavender and daisies. Spices are mostly cinnamon and black pepper corns. Subdued hopping I can't really detect anything other than a mild herbalness and a faint woody flavor. Clean flavor for a Belgian without any trace of funk.

Mouthfeel is good.

Dangerously drinkable for the strength of this brew. Embarrassing that I had not reviewed this beer yet since I drink it quiet often. Flavor is very different when it is served on tap.

Zorro, Sep 30, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. It was served in a Delerium Tremens glass, which has cute little pink elephants on it, as if to say "You drink too much of this, you're gonna hallucinate!", which I believe you would!

Arrives a very cloudy banana gold with a 1/2 finger head of off-white foam. The head quickly drops to islands and a ring, with intermittent splotches of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is honey sweet, with pilsner malt and just a hint of spicy hops. As it warms you can pick up candy sugar and a touch of alcohol.

Flavor is kind of sweet, yet tart, fruity, with pears and pineapple. Sort of citrusy, also, with notes of lemons. Not much in the way of hops, with just a noticeable hop bittering present. This is actually refreshing, considering the size of this beer. The aftertaste is sweet, tart, and a little hot from alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet, with soft to medium carbonation. This does have a tartness to balance some of the sweetness. Finish is sweet and tart.

This is a very nice beer, well balanced for its size. A good representation of the style, and a good blend of sweet and tart flavors. I think it could be a little more complex; there's no real spiciness to speak of, but it's still recommended.

jakester, Sep 12, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

This is actually a pretty cool beer, even in spite of the new age "white" sticker. I picked up this Belgian import at an SAQ in Quebec City, and was really impressed. It almost puts me in mind of a good Unibroue brew.

It poured a very hazy dark golden color, with abundant fluffy white head that stuck around and laced my glass. The smell was sweet and yeasty, with fruity and spicy overtones that were complex, but not overpowering. Overall.. it looked and smelled yummy.

As for the taste... very very not bad. It goes down very easy, and you can barely taste the 8.7% alcohol content. Like the smell, the taste is slightly sweet and very complex, with numerous fruity textures involved. It's moderately carbonated, with a clean and refreshing aftertaste. This is one I'd definitely recommend, and one that I'd definitely pick up again.

EMV, Sep 11, 2005