Delirium Tremens | Brouwerij Huyghe

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Reviews: 1,642 | Ratings: 5,467
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Dance with the pink elephants as you enjoy this brew. Pours a light reddish-brown color, with not much head. The flavor is sweet, and seems to change from moment to moment. I can smell candy, spice, and fruit, but all at different sips. And sip you should, because the 9% ABV will trample you like a herd of elephants!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this beer on tap at Old Chicago. Very nice ale that I would describe as a combination between a Hefeweizen and a Pale Ale. It has citrusy flavors and a subtle hop flavor that becomes more prominent as the drink goes on.

There is a lot of alcohol in this guy so I think I could not drink many. Despite being a head busting 9% (still a newbie ;)) the alcohol is relatively well concealed.

I would definitely order again!

--Joey

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Poured this beauty into a the Delirium Tremens glassware (tulip shaped goblet). Pours with a one inch or so head and a fair amount of carbonation. A great hazy golden color. Head sticks around pretty well and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Smells very yeasty, fruity, candy-ish. Has a bit of a sweet hay smell to it.

Taste: Tastes is fruity, yeasty, strong, but not overpowering. Catch a hint of the alcohol but nicely balanced considering the content. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is pretty good on this. Full body, glides over the tongue with a great finish. Has a bit of a creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. This is something I'd make a regular in my rotation if I could afford to do so.

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%

A belgian beer, strong like a fruity, powerful beer like most of the belgian strong beers; beer with generous cuantity of alcohol; good like an appetizer; for cheese and german cuisine; in general a superior belgian beer; full bodied; try serve in a goblet glass; 90% recommended.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

This is one of many "new" Beligian selections at John's Grocery in Iowa City. After trying it a few times, it's began to grow on me when at first I was disappointed that it didn't quite live up to its hype.

The beer pours to a pale blond color with a thick creamy white foam that sticks around for the whole glass and leaves a great lacing. When held to the light the beer reveals an excellent carbonation and a few chunks are noticable, but nothing remotely disturbing (almost looks like carbonation).

The smell is a bit hoppy with some funky yeast and candi sugar sweet. Very nice balance of aromas. Doesn't overwhelm like many belgian beers but doesn't pull any of its punches either.

The taste is a slightly sweeter extension of the nose. The candi sugar is on the forefront with some funky malty and yeasty flavors followed by a herbal, grassy hop. Very little bitterness despite the hoppiness, but has a dry alcohol burn in the finish. Has a very creamy body and coats the mouth for an even drier alcohol burn. This is a good one to enjoy as the weather begins to cool down.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from 11.2oz pseudo-ceramic bottle. Two 4s are stamped on the back label, but I don't think this has anything to do with freshness. Wish the name was a little less frightening...

A - Golden pale yellow. Pours a hefty head, billowy and fluffy. Nice carbonation streams throughout the beer's life.

S - Fruit, floral & spice, just a hint of alcohol, malty goodness

T - Nice n' sweet, fruit is dominant, not a trace of alcohol. I'm getting just a tinge of bitterness in the aftertaste. Not quite as complex as I like, but its pleasant anyway.

M - Lots of carbonation. BEERchitect was right when he said it nearly numbed the mouth.

D - Not too shabby. Alcohol is well hidden, but you may feel it later. Good year round: warming in winter, light & fruity enough for summer (for those of us with distinct seasons).

Overall, I've had better Belgian Strong Pale Ales, but I'd choose this over lots of other beers in a heart beat. Wish I had some fine cuisine to go with this tasty brew. Instead, I am dining on Kraft Mac & Cheese. Alas, such is the life of a BA in college.

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Tasted on 9th Oct 2005, a 330ml bottle with a BB date of March 08. Gimmickey gray bottle, with a dodgy blue label with pink elephants, green alligators et. Cost me a staggering €3.95 in Molloys, Dublin.

I have been meaning to try this for some time, but it is not always available. Poured into a Chimay glass a nice hazy golden colour with a noisy bubbling off-white head. Head deteriorated to leave a light lacing.
Smell was muted, light fruits present.
Taste was a bit of a shock; a mouthwash type sensation overpowering the other fruity flavours. No malts, and little hops tasted.
Mouthfeel was fresh and fairly lively.
Drinkability; it improved as I got through it, but I'm afraid that this one is not really for me.

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

I was so impressed by this Belgian pale.

I love the bottle, which I have added to my overall appearance score above. An opaque whiteish-gray bottle with pink elephants on the label....brilliant! The beer itself poured into the glass a lovely golden color with a pure white head, that lasted almost the entire beer. Maybe it would have faded..if I didn't drink it so quickly from the pure ecstasy of it all.

Great smell, some definite either clove or corriander (can't really tell between the two yet), and that lovely banana smell that lingers nicely on my slightly pedestrian tastebuds as I drink it. In my somewhat limited experience of drinking Belgians, this had all of the characteristics that I attribute to a great Belgian-style ale.

The special bonus was no tangy aftertaste, like it was sitting for too long, or was stored in a tin can. Nice, clear, crisp, perfect!

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a lazy yellow color with a hazy chill. A fantastic head retention that lasted throughout the drink as a whole. Really no gaps. The lacing was good but did decrease over time.

The nose has a fruity aroma with a complex Belgium malt and sweetness. There is a slight campaign feel to it with the carbonation. Some apples and peaches mix with a flowery nose mixed with honey. Some phenol smells but rather light for a high ABV.

The taste is great. A complex malt but more of a lighter Belgium pale was noticeable. Stronger esters and a good banana flavor are present. A smoothness to it with some lighter spice flavor, mostly coriander. Lighter fig taste with an apple tart rounds out a great tasting Belgian beer. The hops blend smoothly with the malt and a more noted candy flavor overall. A great tasting Belgium.

Overall the taste is very smooth with medium to light carbonation. The beer is very easy to drink with a hidden high ABV to it. Great taste and such a smoothness that not all Belgians can do.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Great beer. It kept evoking thoughts of grapefruit. A hint of tartness. Bitterness smooths out and does not linger. Of course classic Belgian yeast flavors. This is pretty much the definitive example of the style for me. I pick one of these up nearly every time i travel (since we don't have these in AL because of arcane beer laws yadda yadda).

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%

750 ML bottle with the cork dated 2005.

Pours a clear true golden brew with a beautiful snow white head.

Smell is sweet apples and peaches, spices, coriander, flowers and honey. A slight sour scent to this like granny smith apples. And for some reason I smell an ocean breeze in here, something gives the impression of salt in the smell.

Taste is sweet and spicy from the start. Lots of fruit flavors, apples and peaches with a little plum in there too. Lots of floral flavors like lavender and daisies. Spices are mostly cinnamon and black pepper corns. Subdued hopping I can't really detect anything other than a mild herbalness and a faint woody flavor. Clean flavor for a Belgian without any trace of funk.

Mouthfeel is good.

Dangerously drinkable for the strength of this brew. Embarrassing that I had not reviewed this beer yet since I drink it quiet often. Flavor is very different when it is served on tap.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. It was served in a Delerium Tremens glass, which has cute little pink elephants on it, as if to say "You drink too much of this, you're gonna hallucinate!", which I believe you would!

Arrives a very cloudy banana gold with a 1/2 finger head of off-white foam. The head quickly drops to islands and a ring, with intermittent splotches of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is honey sweet, with pilsner malt and just a hint of spicy hops. As it warms you can pick up candy sugar and a touch of alcohol.

Flavor is kind of sweet, yet tart, fruity, with pears and pineapple. Sort of citrusy, also, with notes of lemons. Not much in the way of hops, with just a noticeable hop bittering present. This is actually refreshing, considering the size of this beer. The aftertaste is sweet, tart, and a little hot from alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet, with soft to medium carbonation. This does have a tartness to balance some of the sweetness. Finish is sweet and tart.

This is a very nice beer, well balanced for its size. A good representation of the style, and a good blend of sweet and tart flavors. I think it could be a little more complex; there's no real spiciness to speak of, but it's still recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

This is actually a pretty cool beer, even in spite of the new age "white" sticker. I picked up this Belgian import at an SAQ in Quebec City, and was really impressed. It almost puts me in mind of a good Unibroue brew.

It poured a very hazy dark golden color, with abundant fluffy white head that stuck around and laced my glass. The smell was sweet and yeasty, with fruity and spicy overtones that were complex, but not overpowering. Overall.. it looked and smelled yummy.

As for the taste... very very not bad. It goes down very easy, and you can barely taste the 8.7% alcohol content. Like the smell, the taste is slightly sweet and very complex, with numerous fruity textures involved. It's moderately carbonated, with a clean and refreshing aftertaste. This is one I'd definitely recommend, and one that I'd definitely pick up again.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Much paler and lighter than I was expecting. As for the 9% ABV, but do not believe it. Could not find a hint of it in the beer. Served in a 10.5oz goblet it poured very pale gold. Very similar to apple juice. No head and no visible carbonation. However, there was just the slightest of carbonation that made this beer extremely light on the tongue with a slightly dry and crisp finish. Flavor was sweet malts at first without any recognizeable hops. Picked up just whiffs of a lot of other flavors, such as honey, cloves, pepper, lemon, yeast and fruit (apples). Threw the glass down far quicker than I intended.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

33cl bottle, pours a cloudy apricot color and makes a fluffy white head. Lacing cascades down my glass with very compact, dense bubbles drifting down as I imbibe this. Strong yeast in the nose with a hint of vinegar. Light peppery spice flavor with coriander, lemon, yeast and alcohol. Medium to full palate with peppery carbonation, finishes quite dry. Excellent strong pale, I really enjoyed it.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

I ordered this on tap and was a little miffed when they brought it to me in a bottle because they said the tap ran out. Nonetheless, it is quite is extraordinary beer down to every detail, even the bottle.

It pours a delicious golden color and has a wonderfully fruity smell. Like most beers in this style, it is malty and strong and also has some fruity overtones.

The fact that it was "elected the greatest beer ever" is up for debate, but it was quite good.

Pours a golden color with some orange tints steady supply of bubbles is feeding a nice off white head that is creamy looking falls slowly and leaves some lace behind.

Aroma is malty some sweetness and fruity bananas, peaches mingle with some spice clove and flower aromas.

Taste is malt fruity some light sweetness with a noticable alcohol bite. Finish is the lingering alcohol warming you along with lasting fruitiness pear, apricot some hints of hops and peppery spice and earthy yeasts mixed with clove.

Mouthfeel is medium but light felling crisp clean nice summer brew except for the warming feeling, already warm enough need to move to Alaska.

Drinkability is good nice have had before but haven't reviewed not the best but drinkable plus good and dangerous at 9%.

3.54/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is probably the sixth time I've had Tremens. This time at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Melbourne. I've throroughly enjoyed the beer everty time I had it, but this bottle I got tasted a little off. Or maybe it was just me. In any event, I'll review based on the averages of my experiences, not just this particular bottle.

Tremens pours a lovely slightly-hazy dark straw color with a huge, fluffy, white head. Pretty beer, that's for sure.

The smell is a bit sweet for my taste, but I'm a hop head so what do you expect. The beer smells thouroughly yummy though.

The taste is a slightly warm mouth (it's 9 percent, afterall!) but the alcohol is otherwise really well hidden. Taste has a maltier character than you might expect. A really well balanced brew, but this particular bottle wasn't as good as I'd remembered.

Mouthfeel is great on this beer. Just the right mount of carbonation. I find a lot of Belgians too champagne-like in carbonation, but Delirium is spot on.

Drinkability suffers a little due to high alcohol, and again, this bottle wasn't as drinkagle as I'd remembered. I'll write another review the next time I have the beer.

3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Smaller bottle poured into the Delirium Tremens glass with pink elephants.

Hazy, cloudy gold pour with two fingers of white bubbly head and streaming carbonation.

Nose has malts, alcohol, lemon, honey, and a spicy little kick in it. Lots of phenolic aromas.

Flavor is similarly malty, and the alcohol comes through just a bit hot for my preferences. There are some nice fruity notes that border on peach, and a clove-like spiciness that helps round things out a bit more.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and fairly crisp.

Overall: Not a bad one by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think this one hangs up there with the Duvels of the world. An enjoyable change of pace, but it's not going to become my go-to.

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

NOTE: after writing the review, I noticed the freshness date was April 2004, today is August 2005...I will defintely give it another chance!

Its good, yeah, but for the price, I am not impressed ($8 for a 750ml). Maredsous seems better from what I remember. I really do not care for the smell, and the alcohol is poorly masked compared to Maredsous. The color is nothing out of the ordinary, deep yellow with what looks like particulate matter floating around(NOT sinking sediment as some wheat beers have) which is unattractive. The head is also sub-par for the price range.

I will, however, add into the equation that other Exotic beers I've had from this liquor store have not consistently been fresh, so I am definitely willing to give it a second chance, though I am not willing to shell out another $8 for 2 beers. For $8 I wish I had purchased Unibroue's Fin Du Monde, or Maredsous.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

I suppose the time is now to actually review it, though I've had it before. First off, this is certainly not the best beer in the world. That said, I do think it's a pretty great beer, and despite how "cute" the label and bottle design may be, it's still a pretty snazzy presentation with colors, drawings, and the ability to catch the eye.

Appearance: Pretty decent-sized head as I pour it into my wine glass. Nice lacing globbing up the side of the glass and a deep golden yellow color with lots of bubbles to go with it.

Smell: What I expected, but it's very nice. Strong presence of banana, slight bubblegum, candi sugar, slight zest and citrus --what I look for in this style, a balanced, sweet, and pleasing aromas. Get your nose in the glass and see what's going on.

Taste: What surprises me most is the seemingly lingering slight hop character at the end, neutralizing the sweetness a bit and making it odd in a way. Banana, candied fruit, and yeastiness are up front, with the finishing bubblegum and hop presence at the end. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and crisp, into a sharp burst of bubbles, then into a creamy finish with the swallow. Light to medium body, not to heavy. Great for the summer for sure.

Drinkability: Though this isn't the best example of the style, I think it's surely one of the best available. It's in line price-wise with other Belgians of the style, and it's certainly worth a shot, either for a caged and corked bottle or a 4-pack.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

presentation: 11.2oz. bottle with light blue labels and a foil label over the crown. there are the typical pink elephants, green gators and red japaneze dragons on the front. 8.5% abv displayed. marks on the label show the freshness date or importation date to be jan. '04. i don't understand this dating system, however.

appearance: pours an extremely hazy bright yellow-orange with even brighter yellow highlights in a tulip glass. like the nocturnum, there are floaties suspended in the liquid. pours a half and half white fluffy head that drops to an inch quickly, and then an eight of an inch top to bottom.

smell: candied spicy citrus. i do notice some phenols and bananas.

taste: spicy, tingly, fruity and with a reminder of the alcohol at the end. very medicinal flavors. there are some sweet, honey, malty undertones as well. bitterness is very light.

mouthfeel: mouthfeel is crisp yet smooth. a little light in body in my opinion. swallow clucks a tad.

drinkability: decent drinkability. goes down easy considering the alcohol flavor. the medicinal and alcohol flavors do hinder a tad, though. not perfect.

overall: another slightly disappointing delirium. although a good beer, there are others in this style that, in my opinion, shine a little bit brighter. i'll let a bottle of this sit a year and see what i think then. but anyways, a good try, but overall, not my favorite.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

It's amazing to me that this beer has become such a hit. Not because I think it doesn't deserve it, but because it is a rather expensive beer. I have heard this beer making its way from small liquor stores to Phish shows. Got this in a four-pack with a complementary glass.

Appearance is cloudy, busy, and beautiful. Aroma is fruity and in line with other Belgians. Taste is a little over-carbonated, but hides the abv well. mouthfeel is a little bubbly with a smooth finish. One of the better, more expensive beers, in your liquor store cooler.

Plus, kick-ass bottle!

4.57/5  rDev +12%

11.2 oz bottle

A: Huge, thick 4-finger head and a hazy light amber in color. Sticky lace covered the glass for the whole drink.

S: Ripe, dark fruits and bread fills the nose. A hint of alcohol if you take a big whiff. Absolutely huge smell.

T: Very complex taste. Orange peel, coriander, and a potpourii of other spice flavors. A touch of hop bitterness and alcohol in the finish.

M: A little too bubbly, but great full-bodied mouthfeel.

D: This beer is a workout for the senses. Very complex in taste and smell and one of my favorite Belgians to date. Highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled, served in Cafe Gollem, Amsterdam

Pours with a cloudy golden body, some hints of orange. yellowish head an inch and a bit tall, great retention and some nice lacing. Served in the correct delirium tulip glass with pink elephants (later bought one in de bierkoning)

Smell, fresh, almost flowery. Little hint of nutty satay. Dried fruits, melon, banana, tropical too, maybe mango

Taste, sweet and full of phenols. Estery, tonnes of fruit and has a very crisp mouthfeel. Slight hop bitterness on the finish

A brilliant pale ale