Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros
Reviews: 868 | Hads: 2,583
4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

I could have this one all day everyday. One of my top 5 all time favorites.

A: Nice reddish hue, good head, slightly viscous looking.

S: This is when I first knew I was going to love this beer. The smell hits you with a sour apples smell, and some underlying alcohol aroma.

T: Pretty much how it smells. The first thing I thought of was green apple, and it slowly added on some layers of darker fruit flavors, maybe some cherry. Finishes strong and sticks with you.

M: Beautiful. How a I wish all beers felt. Decently full-bodied, smooth and dark, with just the right carbonation. You feel it bubble around, without drying you out.

D: Like I said, I could drink this constantly. Not everyone will like this one, but I definitely do. (737 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +26.2%

First off, this is an absolutely gorgeous brew: big ass caramel head with big ass bubbles that give way to some beautiful lacing. And the smell just fills the room from the moment you pop the top: dried fruit, sweet bread, candied Belgian yeast - you get a whiff of something different and delicious each and every time you inhale. Fuck your Glade and Renuzit - this right here should come in spray form! Taste is equally arousing; like a very sweet-roasted boozy bread with a depth that transcends my writing ability.

I got lucky enough to grab a couple of these in a "create-your-own-sixer" deal and even without the 2 Piraats and 2 Dogfish 90 Minute IPAs I also nabbed, I got my 12 bucks worth on these alone. One of my absolute favorite brews. (748 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26%

One of my top 10 for sure

A: Good head, begging your nose to smell. Ruby color that leaves a slight lace

S: So many smells, so little time...kinda sour applish bouquet with a background of hops as it warms and you realize the strength of alcohol.

T: Complex darker chocolate with apple flavors and spicy plum aftertones.

M: Full with little carbonation - almost perfect

D: I could drink this every day for the rest of my life...

Serving type: bottle (455 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +25.7%

Once again, had in China.

Great with "chocolate Brownie" However, I definitally drank this beer but it was most definattlally and light colour: very strange.

Regandless, beter than Duvel.
Drank out of a wiskey glass at bar; rant not included because of cultural apretiation. And thick head regardless of glass. although thined out to little lase. Taste was great; that may be all that need to be said but if not maore this may be ended on internet. The taste was rich and very belgium esc. complex. Not nessesarally yeasty but very much so malty and quazi yeast and great. (577 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer pours beautifully. This is one of the nicest pours I have seen from a beer in long while. The color is a deep garnet color, or perhaps it can be better described as a crystal clear dark brown with hints of red. The head pours and the carbonation bubbles cascade adding to the presentation of this beer. The head is an off white, tannish/tea stained color and is very creamy. Head retention and lacing are excellent.

To the nose this beer is complex. Dark fruity esters are apparent as well as a strong malt aroma. Overall it smells sweet to the nose. I want to say I am also smelling belgian candi. There are some faint but noticeable spicy aromas in the background of this brew's aroma.

The complexity of this beer is makes itself known when it hits the tongue. The beer is sweet, and hops are not apparent in the taste of this beer. Some of the forefront flavors are a chocolate and roasted flavor, a spicy flavor. There is also a candi flavor in this beer. This beer has such a complex flavor I think that it would take qutie a long time to describe and pick apart all of the individual flavors which are blended together so well in this beer. Alcohol is paritally hidden/disguised but is apparent.

This beer is great on the palate. I only wish that it had a bit more body. For a bigger beer such as this it would be nice to have a bit more body, but I guess that has to be sacrificed when brewing a stronger beer such as this. This is a beer that I will definitely be coming back to. The next time I see it I'll be buying it. Goes down easy and has a low carbonation to compliment the the complex flavor of this beer. (1,640 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +23.7%

I've had this so many times, I can't believe I never reviewed it. 2007 vintage 750ml bottle (I've cellared since I bought it at the end of '07) poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter, Delirium Nocturnum is ruddy brown with a big light tan head that leaves very light, scattered lace.

Smell is very bright and fruity on the nose, grapes and little spicy.

Taste is rather full as well, big fruit esters complementing the sugary dark malt beautifully. In fact, it doesn't taste dulled at all flavor wise in spite of it's age, just very smooth. Without morphing into a whole other animal, it's all I could ask for in an ~ 3 year old beer, fantastic really, aged or not.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, dried by the ABV and highly digestible.

Drinkability is shamefully high. All that waiting, and I'm fighting myself to not gulp it down. One of the best BSDA's I've ever had, phenomenal. (886 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

After sampling Delirium Noel for the first time last night, I couldn't get the thought of a delicious Nocturnum out of my head. Although the Noel is an amazing beer in its own regard, the taste kept bringing me back to memories of the Nocturnum. This is my all-time favorite beer and I figured it was high time I reviewed it.

A- An inviting dark red when you look at it under light but otherwise opaque. The color is very fitting for the style and taste. Tan two finger head that dissipates after a few minutes to leave a nice lace on top.

S- The aroma definitely is dominantly apple, a somewhat sour but pleasant smell combined with what appears to be a sugary aroma. Very complex smell with a tingly alcoholic backdrop.

T&M- Absolutely fantastic. One sip reminds me why this is my favorite beer, and it only gets better from there. The Nocturnum feels incredibly silky on the tongue, a perfectly thick-but-not-syrupy consistency that definitely compliments the rollercoaster of flavors. The first thing to hit the buds is apple apple apple. Tart but not too much so, perfectly complimenting the following chocolate/caramel flavoring. This subsides very soon after leaving a dry but pleasant aftertaste. The alcohol reminds you that it's there in the form of a pleasant warm feeling in your stomach as well as a slight spice in the aftertaste. Amazing.

After sampling this beer, I have once again reassured myself that it is indeed my favorite. I couldn't bring myself to rate the Nocturnum as anything less than perfect and I have no reason to as I've never enjoyed anything more. Among the most complex of beers I've encountered but perfect in every aspect. I would be hard-pressed to find a beer that I would hold in as high regard as the Nocturnum. Truly world class among world class brews. (1,804 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours dark, hazy, and mysterious. The name Nocturnum comes to life in the smell of dampening pavement on a cool rainy night. Very earthy, like dew on dry lawn clippings and composting weeds. Tastes just like it smells. More complex than it is clean.

One of my favorites to drink alone for a most memorable solitary indulgence. (329 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%

Whoa! This one totally kicked my ass! It was much better than I had expected. It had many different tastes at once and the tastes changed. It was like some sort of morph beer or something. When it was colder it was kind of "eh", nothing spectacular, but still a damn good beer. As it warmed up, the different tastes of fruits, malts, and a coffee taste reared their heads. This brew was one of the most smoothest brews I have had to date. It was clean, refreshing, and bold. Characteristics that are key in a good brew for me. (526 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance: Gotta love this bottle! Poured into a tulip glass. The beer is a dark garnet, ruby red color with a nice, off white head that slowly disappears. It will recover quickly if given a solid swirl.

Smell: Nice aroma with some sweet malt, raisin, fig, apricot, green apples. There is also a nice bit of funk. Interesting.

Taste: WOW! This one is nice. My first time and I like it. You taste the dark fruits in a mild way. This is a good thing. Too much sweet and dark fruit is offputting for me. On another level...you get the sour green apple flavor. There is also a taste of sweetness from the malt as well as some chocolate notes. Lastly....there is a lingering taste from the yeast. That funky flavor works well here. Very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that's creamy and smooth. A a simple swirl recreates the head which adds smoothness.

Drinkability: Very high. I thought (given the label and rep) that this one would come across much more boozy. To the contrary...smooth and great tasting. Let this one warm a bit as the complexities are more noticeable than when too cold. A sipper to be savored.

Overall: I love this beer. It has a perfect balance (that I was not expecting) and the chocolaty, funky, fruity flavor is a winner with me. I'm glad to be adding this crazy bottle to my list of regulars. The bottle makes it great to introduce to others. Glad I found this! Definitely in my "TOP 10" list. I love this beer!! (1,448 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

A- orangish brown with faint red hues good head which mellows quickly to a small rim

S - hints of flower and orange with a strong caramel notes

Taste - great malty character with fine hop finish. notes of orange and caramel while going down with faint floral perfect for a well designed belgium. as it warms the alcohol charater fades a little more masked by aroma.

Mouthfeel - strong mouthfeel letting you know its there with a smooth finish that lingers typical of most belgiums the carbonation doesnt blast flavor through your mouth but finishes nicely at the back of your throat

Drinkability - i will and have had many more certainly goes down as one of my favorites careful though can catch up to you quickly! (719 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

This was excellent! I enjoyed it very much and I wil drink it again.

Appearance- dark red almost black, good head retention

Smell- sweet apple aroma

Taste- dark fruit, spice

Mouthfeel- medium body

Drinkability- Excellent! will be drinking this again (254 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Served on draft in a Delirium glass in Brussels Belgium. Similar to the Delirium Tremens, the Nocturnum is on the darker side of life. One of the smoothest Beligian ales. By far one of my favorite beers from Belgium. About 8.5 to 9% alcohol. This is a beer you never want to put down, in fact I challenge anyone to drink this beer over the period of 15 minutes. It will be gone. (378 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Honestly, I am a huge fan of Delirium beers. I don't traditionally like dark beers like this, but this really gives Delirium Tremens a run for its money. (153 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%

An deep brown beer with a pale brown head that disappears rather quickly.

The smell is of fruits and roasted malt, equally mixed.

The taste is strong and reflects the smell, though unlike other people in this thread, the carbonation was nearly absent (maybe it was a "bad" bottle), nevertheless the final vote for this section is very high.

The aftertaste is quite fruity and only little bitterness remains at the end.

The drinkability is good (even without - unfortunately for me - carbonation!) even though the ABV is quite high.

Definitely a good example of belgian beer. (579 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%

Lovely, though brief, white head, deep, dark violet color. A sweet bouquet greets you in the nose, full of spices and fruit. Which ones? The kind that moon men pick on Venus, that's what kind! Very vinous, with berries, cherries, melons, grapes, and more. A remarkable flavor profile. If a cantelope mated with a bing cherry, it might approximate this flavor. Highly hopped, marvelously carbonated, great malt spine on it. And full, full, full of flavor! Bold, confident, assertive, it knows what it is, and don't care what no one thinks. One of the best of the best, I unashamedly assert. (589 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Dark Brown, not quite opaque. nice dark tan head, doesn't leave much lacing.

S- Smells like apricots and green apples. Quite sweet smelling. maybe a touch of hops

T- Tastes about like it smells. Apples are stronger on the tongue than they were on the nose. Slight notes of fig, apricot and brown sugar. finishes with slight alcohol taste and some grassy hops.

M- Decent, but too carbonated for me.

D- for 8.5% ABV it's insanely drinkable. Drinks like a cider, not at all like a strong ale. If I wasn't paying $10.99 for a 750ml bottle this brew could kill me. (568 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Brownish red pour, with a huge, long lasting and lace bearing head.

Sweet berries, tomato and candi sugars dominate the nose. Some horsey astringency there as well.

Astringently sweet up front, turns into a sweet, thick dark candi sugar molasses crazy thing. Leaves a distinct bittersweet chocolate flavor on the back of the tongue.

Medium bodied and very bright obtrusive carbonation. Just an all around great beer, and one I would like to be able to afford to come back to often. (490 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a rich, dark orange almost red color with a nice two-finger-width head that unfortunately doesn't stick around very long (and is why this had a 4.5 instead of 5.0 on appearance).

Smells of hop-bitterness and fruity sweetness at the same time. Fruit smells are more along the lines of dried fruits like prunes. There's also a little bit of a molasses smell going on.

Tastes like dark fruits and molasses. There's a little bit of an alcoholic bite to it, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be given as strong as it is, and as other Belgian darks tend to be.

Feels very light in the mouth due to all the carbonation which makes this probably more drinkable than it should be. (688 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

i poured this dark belgian ale cool into a room temp pint glass. had about a finger thick tan head that retained well and sat above a ruddy brown ale which was a brilliant ruby hue when held to light. had nice bits of yeast floating around inside, dodging tiny bubbles that come up from the bottom. looks fantastic. smells are not subtle in any way. a small spectrum of spice, alcohol, chocolaty malts and the distinguishable belgian yeast smell are present. tastes amazing. very nicely balanced, has that nice spicy sweet characteristic of belgian darks, but it isnt overwhelmingly powerful, with more sweet than spice. warming alcohol at the end is preceded by ripe fruit flavors, its a little tart, to me like a cherry or apple tartness, figs, with a carmel like sweetness beneath.. mouthfeel is smooth, if not silky. nicely carbonated, not too much so for this style, and it doesn't hinder its drinkability. the alcohol would keep me from drinking too many at once but its a very enjoyable beer. (999 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

Coming into this not knowing what to expect. Poured from the 750ml bottle.

a- Pours a really pretty cloudy red color with a massive 3 finger fluffy beige head that stick around. This is really beautiful.

s- sour fruits- cherries pears grapes. the sourness here is really pleasing and blends well with a slight caramel and nut smell. a little bit of mustiness in it too.

t- whoa! incredibly tart fruit right up front and throughout. this is a very interesting flavor. nuts round out the flavor and a slight cherry/rhubarb? lingering in with bread dough in the finish. Leaves the palate feeling very pleased and also quite dry. I was not expecting any of this in this beer. If anything the tartness is extremely dominant and I might like it just the little bit more if the nutty malt flavor were a bit fuller to balance. Still this is such a unique and exceptional taste all in all.

m- the really nice head gives that perfect thick fluffy sensation to start off. medium bodied with carbonation showing just enough presence but taking a backseat for sure. pretty watery as it clears out of the mouth.

d- I am really in love with this flavor. I will definitely pick up smaller singles of this at a later date, but I am wondering if it wouldn't make more sense just to get another big bottle, given how much of it I would drink on a friday or saturday evening. Just hearty enough to satisfy thoroughly.

As an aside note, with no bearing on the review score: As someone who is studying in the design field, I love the presentation on this. It's very whimsical and pretty at the same time, and it is most likely what caused me to buy this. I was not disappointed with what was kept inside the pretty looking bottle, either. Oops, sorry I wrote too much. (1,752 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is so full of tastes - fruity and delightful but strong. It gets its message across and the aftertaste leaves you wanting to get more. Easy to drink on its own without food, and much better on draft than in a bottle. A go to beer when you just want something delicious, easy to drink, and not too filling. (315 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown plum color with an off white head and respectable lacing.

Smell: Big aroma floods the nose with brown sugar dates plum and notable booze. It is sweet and vinous and the fruity alcohol is very inviting.

Taste: Dark fruits plum dates sugar tobacco whiskey roasted malts and bread; balancing fruity yeasty tartness with spices make up an exceptional flavor that is complex rich and zesty.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. This is what a Belgian Strong Dark Ale should be. The carbonation works with the spices and the alcohol and all the bold flavors of the beer to keep the cheeks full with a medium weight.

Drinkability: A strong bold ale like this is a sipping beer for sure but it drinks quite easily.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (766 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +17.3%

Good overall appearance, dark brown with a warm red hue that reminds me of some of my favorite brown ales. A tad murky. Tall head with large, even bubbles that mostly fade within a few minutes, not much lace.

Yeast is visible throughout- i like.

Smells wonderful. Deep, overwhelming and sweet. Complex but blends the flavors nicely; It's one coherent, calming fragrance that all belongs. I'm getting a real sweet, sugary banana-nut aroma with a floral, rosy burn. Fruity (pear and cherries) with a slight hoppy-ness.

The taste expands on the aroma. Pleasant caramel maltyness that complements the alcohol nicely. Floral and fruity. Mouthfeel is above average but not spectacular, clean and watery. This one's a keeper. (728 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer poured a medium brownish color with a nice off white head that faded after a couple minutes into a slight foam around the edges of the glass. The smell was great with some sour apple scents along with spices and a touch of alchohol. I loved the dry taste of this beer mixed with just the right ammount of malt sweetness and spice to balance it out. The sour apple flavor reappeared in the middle of this beer and finished nice and dry so I could not wait for the next sip. A great beer and definantly worth the price. (527 characters)

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe