Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros

1.24/5  rDev -69.1%

1.35/5  rDev -66.3%

Highly carbonated brew nearly blows off the cap, and forms a rocky meringue tan peak of medium sized bubbles atop a very clear ruby-dark amber liquid. Aroma is that of Jack Daniel's whiskey, wine, and bavarian wheat yeast. The mixture of aromas is not too pleasant. One can tell this has a lot of kick without reading the bottle which tells you its 8.5% abv. Taste starts out with a cloying, sugary sweetness and is quickly disturbed by a very strong metallic bite, as if drinking Newcastle Brown Ale whilst sucking on pennies and quarters. Ends with phenols and dank, musty cardboard, leaving an unpleasant coating on the tongue. This is where you say "Ugh." Certainly not an enjoyable brew. I had much higher expectations considering the ratings here, and hey, it's Belgian:) My worst homebrew wasn't even this bad. Poured 1/2 the beer down the sink. Definitely would not buy this again.

1.5/5  rDev -62.6%

1.6/5  rDev -60.1%

A: A dark brown/amber color. No lacing and a small white head the quickly disappears.

S: Maybe it is me, but I could not smell much. Which is not typical for this style. Could pick up some sweet fruit smells and some sugar.

T: Like the smell, not much going on. Some sweet apple tastes, but nothing to overwhelming.

M: Lots of carbonation. Too much carbonation. Very thin on the mouth and tongue.

D: Probably would not seek this beer out. Bland and boring!

1.6/5  rDev -60.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I tend to get long winded but there just isn’t much to say here. It’s a dark beer without much head and looks rather thin and watery. Smells of dark fruits, spices, and alcohol and not much else. The flavors are about the same. This beer is trying to be a fruit beer/malternative but there’s enough dark malts and beer like flavors to save it. The after taste here is just awful beyond all else. It has an almost medicinal and artificial fruit flavor. I can't imagine how this flavor doesn't put people off. This isn’t good, it is frankly bad.

1.9/5  rDev -52.6%

If you enjoy the taste of bottled of farts from Belgium, then this is the perfect drink for you. I was extremely disappointed with how terrible this drink was. I recently started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium after trying a mixed pack of Stella, Leffe, and Hofbrau. I went to the local Total Wine and Liquor and decided to try a Delirium Nocturnum because of the 97% rating from beer advocate. This was a costly mistake on my part.

The beer smells awful, it almost smells like someones breath after mixing Natty Ice with Popov liquor. It looks great poured out, has a rich red color to it, but it's all a trick. Going down Delirium taste like it smells, and it really does have a European fart taste to it, I swear. Almost as if some one was at the deli the day before loading up on smoked gouda cheese, so they could fart into the vat. It leaves an awful after taste in your throat and on your lips. It makes my throat feel like I was up smoking all night. I did like the bottle it comes in, it has great presentation, which is probably to hide how terrible the beer itself is.

Like I said I have just started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium, I am mostly a Rum drinker myself, I do enjoy Stella, Weihenstephaner, Leffe, and Hofbrau, I just don't understand all the hype behind this brew. It really was awful, it wasn't so bad that I poured it down the sink, but I will definitely stay away from this brew. I chose this over Delirium Noel and will stay away from the Delirium brand of beers from now on. I am now on the last drop from bottle, I was so upset that I paused what I was doing to write this review and warn others. For 5$ a bottle this is just no worth it, it would be worth it for 5 cents a bottle, save your money and try something else out.

2.23/5  rDev -44.4%

Look is incredible. Very dark, translucent brown with a hint of red to it. The head is very frothy and tan, like on a cappuccino.
The smell is horrendous! Not much there except for a yeastiness and what smells like maybe metal. Not what I was expecting and in no way pleasant.
I find this beer fairly unpleasant. It's interesting, but the yeast is just excessive. At least, I assume it's a mix of excessive yeast and some citrusy hops that's giving it that rotten apricot flavour. Whatever it is, it's over the top. It's starting to taste a little more like fruit and a little less like fungus as I drink, but not enough to change my mind about it. It's really hard for me to discern anything else in the beer. I'm not sure whether there's not much else to it or if it's because other flavours are just being overwhelmed by my dislike of this particular flavour. This is a little better than the Delirium Tremens, which had that same over-the-top rotted fruit flavour to it. This one at least is a dark ale and has some maltiness that accompanies that kind of flavour a little better than in a pale ale. It's still over-the-top, though. Won't be buying this again. This stuff ain't cheap.

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

2.28/5  rDev -43.1%

Deep shades of mahogany capped by a khaki colored foam that slowly bubbles away leaving a thin topping.

Smells of Belgian yeasts and tons of freshly cut pineapple. Also a slight "funk."

Taste: Metallic. Oxidation? This bottle was sealed nicely, as it opened with a nice pop. Does not seem like a handling/storage error. At 8.5% in an opaque bottle, skunking should not be a problem either. This is really bad; I can't even taste anything good.

Mouthfeel: overcarbonated and way too bubbly. Drink a coke and that is kind of what it is like except maybe even more carbonation.

Second drain pour ever.