Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,552 | Reviews: 883
1.42/5  rDev -64.6%

Highly carbonated brew nearly blows off the cap, and forms a rocky meringue tan peak of medium sized bubbles atop a very clear ruby-dark amber liquid. Aroma is that of Jack Daniel's whiskey, wine, and bavarian wheat yeast. The mixture of aromas is not too pleasant. One can tell this has a lot of kick without reading the bottle which tells you its 8.5% abv. Taste starts out with a cloying, sugary sweetness and is quickly disturbed by a very strong metallic bite, as if drinking Newcastle Brown Ale whilst sucking on pennies and quarters. Ends with phenols and dank, musty cardboard, leaving an unpleasant coating on the tongue. This is where you say "Ugh." Certainly not an enjoyable brew. I had much higher expectations considering the ratings here, and hey, it's Belgian:) My worst homebrew wasn't even this bad. Poured 1/2 the beer down the sink. Definitely would not buy this again.

1.6/5  rDev -60.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I tend to get long winded but there just isn’t much to say here. It’s a dark beer without much head and looks rather thin and watery. Smells of dark fruits, spices, and alcohol and not much else. The flavors are about the same. This beer is trying to be a fruit beer/malternative but there’s enough dark malts and beer like flavors to save it. The after taste here is just awful beyond all else. It has an almost medicinal and artificial fruit flavor. I can't imagine how this flavor doesn't put people off. This isn’t good, it is frankly bad.

1.64/5  rDev -59.1%

A: A dark brown/amber color. No lacing and a small white head the quickly disappears.

S: Maybe it is me, but I could not smell much. Which is not typical for this style. Could pick up some sweet fruit smells and some sugar.

T: Like the smell, not much going on. Some sweet apple tastes, but nothing to overwhelming.

M: Lots of carbonation. Too much carbonation. Very thin on the mouth and tongue.

D: Probably would not seek this beer out. Bland and boring!

1.88/5  rDev -53.1%

If you enjoy the taste of bottled of farts from Belgium, then this is the perfect drink for you. I was extremely disappointed with how terrible this drink was. I recently started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium after trying a mixed pack of Stella, Leffe, and Hofbrau. I went to the local Total Wine and Liquor and decided to try a Delirium Nocturnum because of the 97% rating from beer advocate. This was a costly mistake on my part.

The beer smells awful, it almost smells like someones breath after mixing Natty Ice with Popov liquor. It looks great poured out, has a rich red color to it, but it's all a trick. Going down Delirium taste like it smells, and it really does have a European fart taste to it, I swear. Almost as if some one was at the deli the day before loading up on smoked gouda cheese, so they could fart into the vat. It leaves an awful after taste in your throat and on your lips. It makes my throat feel like I was up smoking all night. I did like the bottle it comes in, it has great presentation, which is probably to hide how terrible the beer itself is.

Like I said I have just started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium, I am mostly a Rum drinker myself, I do enjoy Stella, Weihenstephaner, Leffe, and Hofbrau, I just don't understand all the hype behind this brew. It really was awful, it wasn't so bad that I poured it down the sink, but I will definitely stay away from this brew. I chose this over Delirium Noel and will stay away from the Delirium brand of beers from now on. I am now on the last drop from bottle, I was so upset that I paused what I was doing to write this review and warn others. For 5$ a bottle this is just no worth it, it would be worth it for 5 cents a bottle, save your money and try something else out.

2.23/5  rDev -44.4%

Look is incredible. Very dark, translucent brown with a hint of red to it. The head is very frothy and tan, like on a cappuccino.
The smell is horrendous! Not much there except for a yeastiness and what smells like maybe metal. Not what I was expecting and in no way pleasant.
I find this beer fairly unpleasant. It's interesting, but the yeast is just excessive. At least, I assume it's a mix of excessive yeast and some citrusy hops that's giving it that rotten apricot flavour. Whatever it is, it's over the top. It's starting to taste a little more like fruit and a little less like fungus as I drink, but not enough to change my mind about it. It's really hard for me to discern anything else in the beer. I'm not sure whether there's not much else to it or if it's because other flavours are just being overwhelmed by my dislike of this particular flavour. This is a little better than the Delirium Tremens, which had that same over-the-top rotted fruit flavour to it. This one at least is a dark ale and has some maltiness that accompanies that kind of flavour a little better than in a pale ale. It's still over-the-top, though. Won't be buying this again. This stuff ain't cheap.

2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

Preficed with the fact that I think this was a bad bottle. I had high hopes for this beer. I really like Belgians this one was more than I have been accustomed to.

Appearance - cream and red wine. Very low level of Brussels lace
Taste - odd back of the throat medicinal taste. Not the spicy rich ester, it tasted like the nasty infection medicine I used to take as a kid.
Smell - winey, malty, and estery
Mouthfeel - very thick and heavy on the tounge
Drinkability - high if your on Fear Factor.

I hope I got a bad one.

2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

750ML bottle. Looks neat. Dated "L: 3 5," but neither one goes 1-12 so I don't see how it could be the month? I hope this wasn't on the shelf forever but I got it from a place with great turnover and it's Huyghe's fault for not making the date marking more sensible.

Poured with okay head, poor retention in two different glasses. Dark, looks liks cola, including the bubbles. A fine dark brown. Foam on the side of the chalice, usually nice with BSDAs, is mediocre at best. Bonus .5 for the cool bottle pattern and the elephant.

Smells super sweet with some alcohol. Spiced, generic maltiness, cloves, cinnamon. Bread and figs. Cloves, cloying overall, not too complex. Sourness as it warms.

Tastes of vanilla, clove, and sugar. Some kind of rawness, and the alcohol is palatable. A slight hoppiness that is pleasant.

Mouthfeel is rough bubbles, heavily carbonated, and the aftertaste is a little nasty. Not creamy at all.

I don't see a reason to drink this within the style, aside from the bottle art. Compared to Trois Pistoles and Ommegang, it comes up looking industrial and rough, with none of the delicacies possessed by the other two. Still a nice brew, but for the style, it is decidedly below average.

EDIT: After later reading positive reviews, I should try another bottle. Maybe mine was no good? Maybe they don't make it like they used to? Still, gotta tell it like I see it.

2.39/5  rDev -40.4%

Very dark, brown, red color. Less head than I expected and the head is pale brown. No lacing on the sides as it goes down. Smells slightly of dark cherries, a pleasant smell. But it tastes flat and uninspired. Very little carbonation. The beer is pretty sweet, a little syrupy, and reminds me a little of cherry cough syrup. Flavor is a mixture of dark fruit and malts. The high alcohol content is very well hidden, and that's the best complement I can give it. I remember enjoying Delirium Tremens and so I thought I'd like this one more. Maybe it was just a bad bottle.

2.4/5  rDev -40.1%

Deep shades of mahogany capped by a khaki colored foam that slowly bubbles away leaving a thin topping.

Smells of Belgian yeasts and tons of freshly cut pineapple. Also a slight "funk."

Taste: Metallic. Oxidation? This bottle was sealed nicely, as it opened with a nice pop. Does not seem like a handling/storage error. At 8.5% in an opaque bottle, skunking should not be a problem either. This is really bad; I can't even taste anything good.

Mouthfeel: overcarbonated and way too bubbly. Drink a coke and that is kind of what it is like except maybe even more carbonation.

Second drain pour ever.

2.47/5  rDev -38.4%

Brown ruby. Nice fine layer on the top that lasts.

Candy (gummy bears?), fruit - strawberry, raspberry, little bit of oak. Smells like a soda almost.

I potentially picked up a bad/old bottle. Terrible muddled earthy taste. Dried old fruit.

Awful aftertaste, so much earth.

It must be a bad bottle, I'll revisit it again as Tremens is one of my all time favorites.

2.49/5  rDev -37.9%

A - At first I thought that I had gotten a bottle past its expiration date, but I checked, and it was still good. It pours with a small head and it dissipated oddly quickly. The color is a dark purple with small whitish floaties. The reason I thought that it was bad was because it had floating stuff in it. But reading some of the other reviews shows that it was intentional. I was not appetizer by the look.

S - the smell was j

2.63/5  rDev -34.4%

I'm sad that this is my first review, but here goes:

The characteristics (color, smell) of the beer were nice right up to the point of tasting. There was an overwhelming metallic taste. I fear this was an off bottle, nonetheless I was forced to offer the remainder to the Plumbing Gods.

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured with way too much yeast (even when carefully poured). grape - malt aroma. Flavor is painfully bitter mixed with belgian yeast flavor. Dumped it after only a few sips. unpalatable.

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

02/12/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo.

Presentation- 22oz ceramic bottle with dating code at the bottom. Poured into a generic wine glass (was on vacation and didn't bring any glassware).

Appearance- Dark brown coloring, huge foamy dimpled head and outstanding lacing.

Smell- UGH, smells like a fermentation gone wrong. Highly alcohol with drunk prunes and raisins.

Taste- Very metallic, alcohol up the ass. Like brown ale mixed with JD and turpentine. BLECK!

Mouthfeel- Mouthfeel was adequate. Very warm and slighly burning going down. Highly carbonated also.

Drinkability- I HOPE I got a bad bottle here. I love the Noel and the Delirium is very good also. Hmmm, dare I retry this again sometime down the road?

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

Delirium Nocturnum

A = Poured dark brown with a massive foam head. Foam dissapated into nothing after 1-2 minutes.

S = Smelt of wet mould. Ugh. Very over-powering.

T = Initial nutty taste that gives way to a dry bitterness. There is a slight sweetness that seems to be similar to that of prunes. Very slight though.

M = Moderately carbonated. Good.

D = Not very drinkable due to the wet mould smell.

2.72/5  rDev -32.2%

750 ml bottle, 2005 vintage

A: Pours a dark mahoghany with a tan three-finger head.

S: Strong aromas of raisins, vanilla, and port with hints of chocolate. Very nice.

T: Poured it cold, tasted nothing. So I waited for it to warm, but to no avail. There is some kind of taste, but it is too subtle and fleeting to be able to identify. There isn't a bad taste, but rather nothing at all but perhaps a slight oxidized taste and a hint of Belgian yeast. Very disapointing after the wonderful smell.

M: Medium bodied and overly carbonated. Feels like sandpaper on the tongue.

D: After the great experience I had with Delerium Tremens, I was really looking foward to this one. Oh well. I'm hoping I got a bad bottle, so maybe I'll try this one again.

2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

A light brown or reddish beer with a off-white head that leaves lacing on the glass.

Smell is spicy with coriander and clove with hints of metal. A light roasted maltiness with candisugar and molasses. A phenolic yeast profile with notes of green apples.

Taste very spicy with clear coriander. Too much for my liking. The malt is lightly roasted, but mild with candisugar and syrupy cane sugar. Alcohol is quite present, warming. Together with the higher alcohols not the most drinkable. Add to that the thin body caused by a lot of sugar and it will add up to a C for me.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

8/25/2005 $7.39 750 mL 8.50% I don't understand the code, but 2 & 4 are notched (cork labled 2004).

Appearance:

Pours from an interesting ceramic bottle a murky brown with coarse carbonation that leads to an inch of rapidly settling brown head.

Aroma:

Smells of ripe fruit (cherries, peaches, and plums) as well as sweaty gym socks.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Extremely coarse and carbonated, this is bursting with ripe fruit, but the flavors are detracted by the over carbonation. This is rather unpleasant, and getting through the bottle will be difficult.

2.77/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an SA glass with a good, tannish two-finger head with slippery lacing. Almost coffee colored. Malty, bready, biscuity on the nose with a hint of pepper and clove. The taste did not follow the nose. The first impression is alcohol burst that is almost tin-like. No bready taste at all. Medium bodied, lots of sediment, little to no aftertaste. I will say that I was looking forward to trying this beer due to the brewer's reputation but I came away disappointed. Not for me, especially at this price.

RB!

2.84/5  rDev -29.2%

This beer pours to a dark ruby brown color with a nice effervescent tan head. The fine bubbles eventually fizzle out and form a ring around the glass with a thin patchy film covering the liquid. The lacing is none too impressive.

The aroma contains a very solvent-like aroma. Smells like a cleaning product. I was worried I didn't fully rinse out my newly cleaned tulip, but I took a whiff directly from the bottle, as well as a little taste, and concluded the off-flavor definitely isn't coming from the glassware.

The taste is only slightly better. Not as solvent-like, but still doesn't particularly seem right. Has a dirty, nutty malt flavor to it along with some sweet candi sugar.

The mouthfeel is dry and has a bit of a metallic finish. Not too drinkable at all. I think I possibly got a spoiled bottle. I will try another from the batch and probably more from future batches, but I don't particularly want to seek out another source for it.

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

Paid $5.99 for a bottle.

Very sour beer. A bit of smoke and malt, but mostly sourness. Not a terrible brew if you're into that kind of thing, but I'm not. Shame it couldn't be like it's brother Tremens. Painted bottle looks nice, maybe this was just a bad bottle?

2.86/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Apperance is very good, nice billowing tan head. The color is nice and dark. Very excited to drink this beer.
Smell is a bit above average. Some raisins, sweet malt and alcohol is about all I can pick up.
Taste is not so grand. Maybe its because the bottle is 2005- but usually 8.5% abv is enough to cellar. Oh well.
Mouthfeel is pretty good can't chew it but its thick enough.
Drinkability is not impressive- even taking into account the style and abv.

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

On tap @ Mayflower in Paris

A - Dark brown. Thick head.

S - Boring smell of sugar w/ maybe a hint of barley

T - Moderately sweet. Not as heavy as I expected, considering the color. Hints of dried fruit distinguish it from the Tremens.

M - Unfortunately, the one I got was kinda flat. Creamy mouthfeel, but thin for a beer marketed as "Nocturnum."

O - Overall, not a bad beer, but I was underwhelmed.

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Like the regular D. T. Better

2.94/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours Dark Brown with a light tan head, good lacing throughout the whole glass and a head that retains throughout the experience. Smells like fruits, malts and sort of metallic/alcohol. Tastes of sweet fruits, malts, cant really get much flavor because of high carbonation. Mouthfeel is pretty full and creamy and coats the palette. Will probably not drink again because of metallics/carbonation/not taking much flavor away. Had better belgians.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe