Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros
semihobo

2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

750ML bottle. Looks neat. Dated "L: 3 5," but neither one goes 1-12 so I don't see how it could be the month? I hope this wasn't on the shelf forever but I got it from a place with great turnover and it's Huyghe's fault for not making the date marking more sensible.

Poured with okay head, poor retention in two different glasses. Dark, looks liks cola, including the bubbles. A fine dark brown. Foam on the side of the chalice, usually nice with BSDAs, is mediocre at best. Bonus .5 for the cool bottle pattern and the elephant.

Smells super sweet with some alcohol. Spiced, generic maltiness, cloves, cinnamon. Bread and figs. Cloves, cloying overall, not too complex. Sourness as it warms.

Tastes of vanilla, clove, and sugar. Some kind of rawness, and the alcohol is palatable. A slight hoppiness that is pleasant.

Mouthfeel is rough bubbles, heavily carbonated, and the aftertaste is a little nasty. Not creamy at all.

I don't see a reason to drink this within the style, aside from the bottle art. Compared to Trois Pistoles and Ommegang, it comes up looking industrial and rough, with none of the delicacies possessed by the other two. Still a nice brew, but for the style, it is decidedly below average.

EDIT: After later reading positive reviews, I should try another bottle. Maybe mine was no good? Maybe they don't make it like they used to? Still, gotta tell it like I see it.

05-28-2006 03:18:16 | More by semihobo
Longhorn22

2.48/5  rDev -38.2%

A - At first I thought that I had gotten a bottle past its expiration date, but I checked, and it was still good. It pours with a small head and it dissipated oddly quickly. The color is a dark purple with small whitish floaties. The reason I thought that it was bad was because it had floating stuff in it. But reading some of the other reviews shows that it was intentional. I was not appetizer by the look.

S - the smell was j

06-13-2012 19:30:20 | More by mv945
Morpheus

Alberta (Canada)

2.55/5  rDev -36.4%

I'm sad that this is my first review, but here goes:

The characteristics (color, smell) of the beer were nice right up to the point of tasting. There was an overwhelming metallic taste. I fear this was an off bottle, nonetheless I was forced to offer the remainder to the Plumbing Gods.

12-30-2012 01:11:29 | More by Morpheus
Andy

2.55/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured with way too much yeast (even when carefully poured). grape - malt aroma. Flavor is painfully bitter mixed with belgian yeast flavor. Dumped it after only a few sips. unpalatable.

05-16-2002 20:13:22 | More by Andy
klewis

2.6/5  rDev -35.2%

750 ml bottle, 2005 vintage

A: Pours a dark mahoghany with a tan three-finger head.

S: Strong aromas of raisins, vanilla, and port with hints of chocolate. Very nice.

T: Poured it cold, tasted nothing. So I waited for it to warm, but to no avail. There is some kind of taste, but it is too subtle and fleeting to be able to identify. There isn't a bad taste, but rather nothing at all but perhaps a slight oxidized taste and a hint of Belgian yeast. Very disapointing after the wonderful smell.

M: Medium bodied and overly carbonated. Feels like sandpaper on the tongue.

D: After the great experience I had with Delerium Tremens, I was really looking foward to this one. Oh well. I'm hoping I got a bad bottle, so maybe I'll try this one again.

11-15-2005 05:05:17 | More by klewis
GClarkage

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%

02/12/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo.

Presentation- 22oz ceramic bottle with dating code at the bottom. Poured into a generic wine glass (was on vacation and didn't bring any glassware).

Appearance- Dark brown coloring, huge foamy dimpled head and outstanding lacing.

Smell- UGH, smells like a fermentation gone wrong. Highly alcohol with drunk prunes and raisins.

Taste- Very metallic, alcohol up the ass. Like brown ale mixed with JD and turpentine. BLECK!

Mouthfeel- Mouthfeel was adequate. Very warm and slighly burning going down. Highly carbonated also.

Drinkability- I HOPE I got a bad bottle here. I love the Noel and the Delirium is very good also. Hmmm, dare I retry this again sometime down the road?

03-04-2005 06:15:23 | More by GClarkage
maleman

Mississippi

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an SA glass with a good, tannish two-finger head with slippery lacing. Almost coffee colored. Malty, bready, biscuity on the nose with a hint of pepper and clove. The taste did not follow the nose. The first impression is alcohol burst that is almost tin-like. No bready taste at all. Medium bodied, lots of sediment, little to no aftertaste. I will say that I was looking forward to trying this beer due to the brewer's reputation but I came away disappointed. Not for me, especially at this price.

RB!

06-05-2012 23:11:39 | More by maleman
Absumaster

Netherlands

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

A light brown or reddish beer with a off-white head that leaves lacing on the glass.

Smell is spicy with coriander and clove with hints of metal. A light roasted maltiness with candisugar and molasses. A phenolic yeast profile with notes of green apples.

Taste very spicy with clear coriander. Too much for my liking. The malt is lightly roasted, but mild with candisugar and syrupy cane sugar. Alcohol is quite present, warming. Together with the higher alcohols not the most drinkable. Add to that the thin body caused by a lot of sugar and it will add up to a C for me.

07-19-2008 12:14:29 | More by Absumaster
cbl2

2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

8/25/2005 $7.39 750 mL 8.50% I don't understand the code, but 2 & 4 are notched (cork labled 2004).

Appearance:

Pours from an interesting ceramic bottle a murky brown with coarse carbonation that leads to an inch of rapidly settling brown head.

Aroma:

Smells of ripe fruit (cherries, peaches, and plums) as well as sweaty gym socks.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Extremely coarse and carbonated, this is bursting with ripe fruit, but the flavors are detracted by the over carbonation. This is rather unpleasant, and getting through the bottle will be difficult.

08-01-2006 16:54:43 | More by cbl2

BeerNutta

Australia

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%

Delirium Nocturnum

A = Poured dark brown with a massive foam head. Foam dissapated into nothing after 1-2 minutes.

S = Smelt of wet mould. Ugh. Very over-powering.

T = Initial nutty taste that gives way to a dry bitterness. There is a slight sweetness that seems to be similar to that of prunes. Very slight though.

M = Moderately carbonated. Good.

D = Not very drinkable due to the wet mould smell.

09-18-2006 14:01:11 | More by BeerNutta
benmiliron

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Paid $5.99 for a bottle.

Very sour beer. A bit of smoke and malt, but mostly sourness. Not a terrible brew if you're into that kind of thing, but I'm not. Shame it couldn't be like it's brother Tremens. Painted bottle looks nice, maybe this was just a bad bottle?

03-04-2004 04:13:38 | More by benmiliron
supercolter

Wisconsin

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Apperance is very good, nice billowing tan head. The color is nice and dark. Very excited to drink this beer.
Smell is a bit above average. Some raisins, sweet malt and alcohol is about all I can pick up.
Taste is not so grand. Maybe its because the bottle is 2005- but usually 8.5% abv is enough to cellar. Oh well.
Mouthfeel is pretty good can't chew it but its thick enough.
Drinkability is not impressive- even taking into account the style and abv.

05-21-2007 05:43:43 | More by supercolter
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

This beer pours to a dark ruby brown color with a nice effervescent tan head. The fine bubbles eventually fizzle out and form a ring around the glass with a thin patchy film covering the liquid. The lacing is none too impressive.

The aroma contains a very solvent-like aroma. Smells like a cleaning product. I was worried I didn't fully rinse out my newly cleaned tulip, but I took a whiff directly from the bottle, as well as a little taste, and concluded the off-flavor definitely isn't coming from the glassware.

The taste is only slightly better. Not as solvent-like, but still doesn't particularly seem right. Has a dirty, nutty malt flavor to it along with some sweet candi sugar.

The mouthfeel is dry and has a bit of a metallic finish. Not too drinkable at all. I think I possibly got a spoiled bottle. I will try another from the batch and probably more from future batches, but I don't particularly want to seek out another source for it.

12-07-2005 05:49:13 | More by neonbrown82
PeprSprYoFace

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

Bought a bottle of this at my local beer store. Comes in a cool ceramic bottle like the tremins.

Appearance is a dark red/purple color with a head that dissapeared very fast to nothing. No lacing at all.

Smells of slight hoppyness and Belgian candy sugar. Some dark fruit notes.

Tastes like it smells with a little more hoppyness then probably should be in this style. Most in this style are sweet and smooth but this I'd slightly sweet and kind of bitter.

Mouthfeel is too carbonated for this style. At least my bottle feels this way.

Drinkability is not very high since I don't feel this beer follows its style very much and I don't feel like I could drink very many of these.

06-09-2008 08:01:02 | More by PeprSprYoFace
TRICKYD1CK

France

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

On tap @ Mayflower in Paris

A - Dark brown. Thick head.

S - Boring smell of sugar w/ maybe a hint of barley

T - Moderately sweet. Not as heavy as I expected, considering the color. Hints of dried fruit distinguish it from the Tremens.

M - Unfortunately, the one I got was kinda flat. Creamy mouthfeel, but thin for a beer marketed as "Nocturnum."

O - Overall, not a bad beer, but I was underwhelmed.

09-28-2011 21:05:49 | More by TRICKYD1CK