Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

25 oz poured into pint glass

A-pours a dark brown/red colour with a big 2.5 fingers of head that laces really well.

S-couldnt smell much, probably my fault. what i got was a malty caramel like aroma. thats it for me

T/M-very sweet. very very sweet. Malty sweetness up front that has almost a tartness to it. cascades into a gentle caramel finish that leaves dry. heavy body (to my knowledge) and also creamy. this one was an absolute pleasure to enjoy

O-as I said, a pleasure to have and if the price was a wee lower, could totally buy this almost often

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.53/5  rDev -12%

750ml into a duvel tulip

pours a coca cola brown with a big frothy head and lots of potential

sweet and malty smell with yeast, phenolic, and some alcohol

sweetness hits quickly and dissapates just as fast. cocoa which surprises me and fruity. almost a figgy kinda taste

the cocoa and fruit were a surprise in this BSDA. nice color and aftertaste

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

I had the pleasure of trying the highly recommended Delirium Nocturnum last night for the first time. Upon pouring a glass from the non-translucent bottle, the Nocturnum reveals itself to the drinker. It is so dark that you cannot see anything on the other side of the glass. The head is one of the darkest I've seen, as well.

The first sip of the Nocturnum is like jumping into a chilly pool - it awakens your senses. The fruity flavors of raisins and plums are complimented by a warm aroma of apples. These flavors and aromas are accentuated as the beer warms, making the Nocturnum taste better with every sip.

I consider this to not just be THE beer drinker's beer, but a true story teller's beer. This is the kind of beer that you share with an old friend and sip on over conversation.

I highly recommend the Delirium Nocturnum to anyone looking to try an excellent beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

After sampling Delirium Noel for the first time last night, I couldn't get the thought of a delicious Nocturnum out of my head. Although the Noel is an amazing beer in its own regard, the taste kept bringing me back to memories of the Nocturnum. This is my all-time favorite beer and I figured it was high time I reviewed it.

A- An inviting dark red when you look at it under light but otherwise opaque. The color is very fitting for the style and taste. Tan two finger head that dissipates after a few minutes to leave a nice lace on top.

S- The aroma definitely is dominantly apple, a somewhat sour but pleasant smell combined with what appears to be a sugary aroma. Very complex smell with a tingly alcoholic backdrop.

T&M- Absolutely fantastic. One sip reminds me why this is my favorite beer, and it only gets better from there. The Nocturnum feels incredibly silky on the tongue, a perfectly thick-but-not-syrupy consistency that definitely compliments the rollercoaster of flavors. The first thing to hit the buds is apple apple apple. Tart but not too much so, perfectly complimenting the following chocolate/caramel flavoring. This subsides very soon after leaving a dry but pleasant aftertaste. The alcohol reminds you that it's there in the form of a pleasant warm feeling in your stomach as well as a slight spice in the aftertaste. Amazing.

After sampling this beer, I have once again reassured myself that it is indeed my favorite. I couldn't bring myself to rate the Nocturnum as anything less than perfect and I have no reason to as I've never enjoyed anything more. Among the most complex of beers I've encountered but perfect in every aspect. I would be hard-pressed to find a beer that I would hold in as high regard as the Nocturnum. Truly world class among world class brews.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Pours a really deep mocha with a big light brownish head

S - Deep and yeasty with some toasty grains and caramel

T - Whoa. It's pretty chocolately with a little bit of citrus and an alcohol bite

M - Exceptionally smooth.

D - I think I'm gonna sip on this one.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe