Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass.

S-gives off a sweet malty aroma that settles into a dark fruity smell, reminds me of dried fruit or berry.

A-pours with a nice thick cream colored head that dissapates rather quickly the beer itself has a reddish hue opaque yet free of haze.

T-I have to admit this is hard for me not to be bias with this being my favorite style.
Rich toasty malt flavor. A little spicy well balanced with that dried fruitiness that is also strong in the aroma.

M-well carbonated with a warmth tha is common to the style. Astringent with a medium dry finish. Vinious to say the least.

D-who has the recipe. This stuff is good for any occasion, with a meal or alone it would be a tough one to turn down.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 330ml bottle.

A - Dark, reddish brown. Somewhat hazy with lots of solid matter. Thick head (large bubbles) that takes a while to subside to heavy lacing.

S - Iconic malty, sweet, Belgian smell.

T - Dark biscuity flavor. Somewhat sweet, but not nauseatingly so. You really can't tell from the flavor that it's 8%.

M - Despite the thick flavor, this beer doesn't linger in the mouth.

D - Obviously the style isn't supposed to be consumed in rapid succession. Still, Nocturnum drinks very easily.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Holeman & Finch.

Pours a deep, reddish amber with an big off-white head that shows excellent lacing and retention.

The aroma is very sweet with tons of dark fruit, mainly figs and raisin, and plenty of candi sugar on top of the generous caramel malt presence. There are some spices thrown in for good measure.

The taste very much follows the aroma and is based on top of the big caramel sweetness. There is probably a tad less sweetness in the taste and a bit more musty spiciness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate, soft carbonation.

This is a solid, if not spectacular, take on the style that's very drinkable for the ABV.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a Triple Karmeliet Tulip. 4/08 notched on label.

A - Almost opaque brown in color with ruby hints and ample carbonation with two fingers of lumpy, tan head but quickly descending.

S - Strong spicy, malty, and yeasty aroma bursting fourth from the glass with dark fruit aromas - raisin and plum - with a tiny citrus sharpness to it. Bananas started coming out later.

T - Malty sweetness comes out right away with some yeast and dark fruit flavors. Spicey too.

M - Crisp and light. Lighter body despite the color. Ample carbonation with a bit of a bite to it but the alcohol hides well.

D - Good but not great in the drinkability department, it has a nice flavor and an outstanding aroma.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

This dark Belgian ale pours a dark mocha color looking almost cola-like. The aroma is very sweet, and the head is not substantial and only makes a brief stay leaving little to no lacing behind. The carbonation seemed to higher than other variations in this style, but that's not a complaint, it was a nice detraction from the usual. The ale has a pronounced chocolate-cherry aftertaste and leaves the palate dry. The body is thinner than it looks, not watery, but thin. This sweet Belgian ale was great for a warm spring evening and was very easy to drink. With an ABV of 8.5% you so have to be a little conscious not to let your sippin' move too fast, otherwise it makes standing up a challenge. Great beer and a great compliment to the pound cake my wife served with it.

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Humongous tan head that won't fade. Dark copper pour with ruby tints. Loads of yeast chunks (and I haven't even pours the whole bottle yet!) including some stuck in the head.
Aroma is Belgian bready yeast, loads of spices, candy sugar sweetness, tang apples and some light roasted malt. Sort of lacking for a Belgian strong.
Flavour is dominated by an almost sour tang, followed by a cidery taste often present in home-brews brewed too warm/too much simple sugar. Some toffee malt and lots of alcohol. Carbonic acidity from high carbonation present.
Too much carbonation!

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 11.2 oz bottle to my tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark deep amber color with a large bubbly tan head.

Smell: Fruity and bready goodness with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet caramel and more bready goodness. Really nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated and creamy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and tasty brew, but don't see myself having too many of these due to the alcohol content.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

this beer was a little worse than i anticipated. Love the bottle not pressure under the cork though.

A- Dark slightly reddish. Blackish red. Thick offwhite head that lasdted the whole was down.

S- funky smell and of course dried dark fruits like dates and plums or something. I didnt like the smell.

T- again with this funky flavor that i didnt care for. Fruits didnt taste that great. kinda disapointed but i still enjoyed the beer.

M- slightly bitter after feel. Taste kinda lingers.

D- easy at first but gets slightly harder to drink alot.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

750ml bottle into DT snifters.

A - dark reddish brown, and very clear, all things considered. Poured with a thick tan head, which has slowly receded, but remains present.

S - definitely a boozy aroma there. Also spiced grapes, or possibly raisins. Almost like a porto type smell, of a boozy, grape aroma.

T - very grapy, tastes much more like a red wine than a beer. Initially this is very unusual and nice, but as it fails to fade into other flavors and remains a strong, heavy, grape, it is a bit weird. Very, very unusual. Once you search for them, some caramel and roast flavors are present, as are hints of spice. They are far beneath the layer of grape, though. The finish is roasted malt: caramel and slightly chocolaty, but the orver-arching flavor is strongly grape.

M - light, crisp and juicy.

D - it isn't bad, but honestly if I wanted a bottle of wine, or of port, I think I would buy one of those instead. This falls of the mark, for me, so I'm not sure if I would drink it again. It is fairly good in its own way, though.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

Dark, very dark brown with red highlights where the light hits it. Thick carmel head that hangs around for quite a while.

The nose is complex: caramel (very rich), toffee, raisins, chocolate, blackberries, ripe black cherries, apples, peat moss, and a not-unpleasant mustiness. Nice.

The taste is more of the same, but with a slight coppery touch to the finish. The sweetness of the fruit flavors counterbalances the kind of sour/bitter earthy notes nicely. However, it's the the caramel and raisins that predominant on the palate. This beer is delicious. Mouthfeel is medium-thick.

The drinkability is the weakest aspect. Even though I liked the taste at first, it kind of gets old about halfway through and really becomes a chore to drink.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have very little experience with Belgian ales, and I've honestly have had some traumatizing experiences with Dubbels and Tripels. I wrongly assumed that these two styles were representative of Belgian ales as a whole, so I had very low expectations for this brew. However, I'm pleased to say that this beer has been kind of an eye-opening experience to me. I feel like I just got schooled by this beer, and that's a very good feeling. I am excited to learn more about Belgians now. I still would like to learn to appreciate Dubbels and Tripels, but that lesson is for another brew.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a goblet from an 11.2 oz. (330 ml) bottle.

The pour is mahoghany with two fingers' tan head. Retention is decent, and lacing is above average.

The nose is somewhat muted, but I get dark fruits, some sweet toffee or chocolate and a bit of citrus. An alcoholic hint is trying to hide in the shadows. The taste is more of the same; it starts with the fruits and citrus before transitioning into the sweet toffee. Some spices make their appearances as well throughout the sip. Again the alcohol is mildly apparent.

The mouthfeel is light-to-medium-bodied with a mild amount of carbonation. Drinkability is decent; I could have a couple.

My only complaint is that I expected a heavier mouthfeel. This is a nice beer that I will revisit occasionally.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was an interesting beer. it didn't reaaly suit my own personal tastes but that isn't really what a review is about.

the Appearance was a fairly dark color with a medim foamy head (my girlfriend poured it while i was in the bathroom...the head may have been due to poor pouring). The appearance kinda caught me off guard, as there was stuff floating at the bottom of the glass it was poured into (I'm pressuming it was hops or yeast, but I'm a young beer drinker so I'm unsure). The beer had some great lacing.

According to my girlfriend it smelt like laundry, I however thought the smell was similar to some dry malts. It was slightly fruity, although I was unable to determine which fruit before I finished off the 11.2 oz bottle. Personally I thought the smell was fantastic before i started drinking.

the taste was alright. this is kinda where this particular beer lost me. I suppose overall it wasn't really too bad, but it just wasn't quite as good as I had really hoped, and I'm not sure I can entirely explain why. I believe my main problem with the taste is that this particular beer is just too sweet.

One getting past the floaty bits of whatever, the mouth feel was surprisingly smooth and the overall drinkability was not too bad either. I'd probably consider the body of this beer to be between a light and medium body that was fairly smooth.

Overall it doesnt appeal to my particular taste, but this beer isn't half bad. I'd probably give it one more chance before casting it aside for something else. So until that second chance.... cheers!

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Aroma is like fabric softener and cotton candy with a hint of peppery spice.

Deep brown color with bits of bubbles
Rich tasting and well balanced. Not overly sweet, or boozy. Thin in body, with a slight sour taste just before the finish. Hints of astringency seem to give this beer the it's penultimate sensation of sour.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Thick head atop a dark chestnut body. Belgian lace clings to the Delirium glass. Aroma faint notes of black cherry, biscuit malt, and herb-laced yeast. Flavor is mostly malt with a slight medicinal bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, drinkability also good.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

She pours a nice dark muddy brown with some light tannish foam forming a ring in the glass.
The smell fruity and floral up front, with some alcohol being pronounced in the finish.
The taste is similar, raisins at first...a bit of an alcoholy bite, then finished with a quick fleeting sweetness.
The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with strong carbonation to balance the high alcohol. Nice and crisp.
I couldn't drink too many of these, it is nice to get it in the smaller bottles instead of the bigger ones, so ensure no waste of good brew.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

A= Poured very dark and cloudy. Nice 2 finger head but dissipated very quickly. Not much in the way of lacing.

S = Just not catching much on the nose here. A faint musty smell, but really that's about it.

T = Good and bad. Comes up nice in the front with a burst of sweet dark fruity notes. Sort of fades throughout the taste however. Kinda devolves into what the smell presented. Sort of a dank musty taste appears toward the end. Not entirely pleasant.

M = Mouth is pretty good. Thin to medium body with mild to medium carbonation. Thought it might be a bit thicker, but no big complaints.

D = Have to tie the taste to the drinkability here. Just not good enough for me to want to have more than one. ABV is not overbearing, but I can't get past the taste finish.

Overall, a little let down here. Guy at Total Wine sold it to me as his favorite beer. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I will wait a while and maybe give it a second opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A: On the first pour, I get a gorgeous slightly hazy deep red amber with a half finger of light tan head that receded into a very thin cap that left no lacing. My second pour included some very large chunks of sediment that refused to settle to the bottom of my glass. I was forced to strain the second half of my bottle through cheese cloth.

S: Bright and bready Belgian hop breadiness with dried fruit aromas.

T: Tangy orange blossom honey, bready, nutty malts, dried cranberry sourness, creamy persimmon. On the back end, I noticed a metallic quality that I associated with sweet fresh ousters (in a good way). There's a bit of alcolol warmth that reminds you that this is a serious brew.

M: Fairly lightly carbonated and creamy on the palate. This beer's flavors continue to dance on the palate long after the swallow.

D: at $10/bottle, I don't see myself making this a mainstay in my fridge, but perfect to celebrate a special occasion.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

a : Very dark. I poured the yeast, so there is sediment in my glass. A full inch a dense tan head, slowly dissipated. There is some lacing.

s : Amazing smell, very complex. The dominant aromas are dark fruits -- cherries, raisins -- and toffee. Some citrus as well.

t : Cherries up front, with a bit of raisin. I expected that from the smell. Mildly acidic and slightly bitter, nice warming alcohol. I also taste honey.

m : Lots of carbonation. Medium bodied. The beer is a joy to drink really, my mouth loves it.

d : Very drinkable, it is a great belgian. Not something I could drink all night, but definitely a beer that I wish that I could.

I should note that I was reviewing this beer as I ate dinner, so this probably changed my score on the taste, smell, and mouthfeel. Oh well, I really enjoyed it.

4.63/5  rDev +15.5%

poured from a belgian style 750ml corked bottle into my chalace/wine glass. pours a dark amber, brownish color with some brownish rubiness when held up to the light. little bit of an off white head that faded to a ring pretty quickly, but can easily be revived with a quick swirl of the glass. just a little bit of lacing. the second glass i poured, unlike the first was filled with tons of sediment, niether a pro nor a con for me. also, the 2nd glass, the head had much better retention. the smell is hugely complex, lots of dark fruits, plum, dates, prunes, raisons, etc. has a little bit of some roasty chocolate malts, a little bit of a musty smell, maybe from the alcohol. some phenolics from the yeast, but not as much as expected for a usual belgian. the taste is amazing, now i can see why this was voted one of the best beers in the world. at first your hit with the dark fruity taste, followed by a nice taste of apples, finishes with a sour dark fruity taste that leaves you longing for more. finishes a tad dry as well. the fruity sourness, prolly from the candied sugar really makes this for me, delicious. the mouthfeel was medium to light bodied, with some high carbonation off the intial pour, but settles to some low carbonation after awhile. quite drinkable beer, does not taste like it has as much alcohol as it does. however, it definately creeps up on you after you finish. i would definately recommend this to anyone that enjoys good beer. hugely complex beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an old-style Abbaye de Leffe glass, I'm treated to an amber-brown body that while not cloudy, is almost opaque due to its dark nature. The head is virtually a non-event, but the frothy trimmings do lace quite nicely.

My pour was perhaps a little on the too-cold side, so a lot of the aroma was hidden, but sweetness is surprisingly apparent, with some dark fruit, malt and perhaps even a little grain tucked away back there too.

The taste is exceptional. Exceptional, I tell you! Far better than its Tremens counter-part, in my opinion. Sweet, rich dark fruits and caramel with icing-sugar apple and finally a sour breadiness on the back-end of the mouthful to keep things lively.

Unlike a lot of my favourite Belgian ales, this amber brew is quite thin. I prefer syrupy, but given the flavours presented, it really does match what my taste-buds are experiencing down to a tee. An almost perfect-compliment.

It's still a high percentage ale, so keep an eye on your mates and get them to keep an eye on you, but I could drink this virtually all night... albeit consequentially a short night.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into red wine glass.

A - Mostly clear brown with reddish hints. A tad more than a finger of tan head rises but settles into a very thin collar. No lacing.

S - Lots of sweet fruit going on here, including figs, currants, and prunes. Some caramel and bread come through as well. There's also a prevailing sourness with a touch of dusty yeast.

T - Caramel sweetness at first with a rich firm dark bread backbone. Sweetness is a bit fleeting and settles into a sweet/sour melange of dark fruit juices. Fig and prune seem most obvious, but there's hints of everything from plums to raisins and even apples and bananas. Sourness lingers as fruitiness fades and leads into earthy flavors a long with dusty elements, something like old paper or wet stone. Late palate is bready with bitter spices and bitter tea. Nuttiness and alcohol comes through briefly. Finish is dry with lingering notes of spice and earth.

M - Like many Belgian beers, it seems a little too thin. Somewhere in the medium body range but the carbonation is fairly high making the brew seem thin and a bit prickly. Overall this seems pretty typical for the style but for the flavors at hand I'd really prefer a thicker, or at the very least less carbonated brew.

D - A nice balance of sweet, sour, and bitter come together for great drinkability, but personally this isn't a type of beer I can consume much of. Honestly, the over the top carbonation is a lot of what turns me off and keeps me from putting lots of this stuff down. Wonderful taste, but a little boozy and way too prickly for me.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

It's a nice dark amber/brown, but the head fell quickly...hmm...no lacing.

The smell is medicinal with obvious alcohol...dried stone fruit, oh and rich dark MALT.

Wow, surprisingly smooth and balanced. The finish is very dry, carbonation is moderate-high, virtually no bitterness, full bodied...

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a pint glass dark red-brown color, with a 2 finger light brown head that dissipates at a medium rate. lots of carbonation coming up, a good amount of yeast sediment present.

light smells of raisins and sugars, doesnt put off much aroma.

strong wheat taste, hides its alcohol well

mouthfeel is nice. feels 'thin' in my mouth with a dry finish.

easy to drink, but a bit spendy for an 11.2 oz bottle

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

a - dark and clear with a two finger, frothy head. Does a cool bottle clay count for appearance? Probably not, fair enough. Head drops down but a small 1/8" cover remains.

s - standard belgian (good) with some sweet raisin in there. Points for a complete lack of alcohol notes on the first glass while still a little cold.

t - dark, toasted malts play the leading role. A little coffee. Good blend of sweet, sour and bitter without any jumping out ahead. Same on the aftertaste. Every sip leaves me salivating for the next one. Outside of a little mouth numbing you'd have no idea about its 8.5% ABV. The only thing keeping it from a 5 is that maybe, MAYBE it's a little too sweet.

m - medium body with a creamy carbonation. Nice.

d - Very solid. This bomber will be savored tonight. I'll have to thank the buddy that recommended this to me. Tasty with an excellent ABV masking.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

If you've never had a Trappist ale from Belgium and aren't able to find a decent one in your area, you may want to at least pick up some of this. Delirium Nocturnum is a pretty good example of what a dark Belgian beer can taste like. This isn't officially classified as a Dubbel, but it's very similar, as it is a strong ale (8.5%) and it's a dark ale. Well rounded flavor, strong alcohol, and overall a nice beer to relax with or to enjoy on a special occasion. Just don't drink it too cold or at room temperature. Belgians like this do best at cellar temperature and in a goblet-shaped glass. Trust me - try it yourself.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe