Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NocturnumDelirium Nocturnum

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Nocturnum Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,552 | Reviews: 883
2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Like the regular D. T. Better

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

This pours a dark translucent colour with about a finger width of tannish head that stuck around. The nose came forward with some dark fruit and sweet molasses and maybe a bit of maple around the edges. I was really looking forward to diving into this. Unfortunately was a bit underwhelmed with the flavour. Some of the same notes came forward on the tongue, but there was a grassiness that overpowered those notes. I thought maybe I had the beer a bit too cold and let it warm up before taking some further sips. This did bring forward some of those flavours but only slightly. It was still a good beer but was expecting a little bit more of a flavour profile based on the nose.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured a dark and murky brown; sticky, creamy, tan 2 inch head; cream lace on glass; good retention; tight bubbly surface remained on the beer throughout consumption. Smelled like prunes, candied prunes, brown yeasty bread, burnt sugar malt. Tasted like burnt sugar, burnt molasses, spiced burnt malt, yeast, brown sugar, pretzel bread, and brown spice bread; the aftertaste was sweet with an ever slight hop taste, but almost not noticeable. Just noticeable when the beer warmed a bit. The higher alcohol was well-hidden, but it came through just a little. The mouthfeel was full bodied but light a sense; carbonation was on the medium side. It wasn't dry, in fact it was wet; quaffable, definitely! This was a very delicious brew!

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 18E). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L13_14_184. AROMA: complex malty aromas with caramel and bready notes, mixed with faint esters and a background floral aroma. spicy alcohols present. no discernible noble hop aromas. APPEARANCE: deep amber color and translucid. medium ivory head with below average retention. some lacing. TASTE: mild flavours of toast and dried grapes. the alcohols are present with an almost solventy character, with spicy notes. low bitterness with a medium-dry finish. PALATE: medium-light body with average carbonation. OVERALL: a dark belgian strong ale that showed promise on the aromas but didnt deliver on the flavours. needs more complexity.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Simply delicious!

This was lovely. A friend shared it with me and we drank it straight from the bottle, so this isn't a proper review, but I really enjoyed it. Fizzy and fairly light tasting, although my friend found it too boozy.

Dark brown pour with a two-finger off-white and foamy head. Aroma of bread and dark fruit. Taste has sweet bready malt and light clove flavors upfront. Medium body also has some hints of plum, raisin, alcohol and yeast.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

This is an extremely well-crafted beer. It scores well in all categories. My only issue with this beer is purely personal preference on flavor. To me, the flavor is somewhere around a lighter porter with apricot flavoring. So, if you like that flavor, it's a great beer. If you don't like that flavor, it's still a great beer for tasting and craft purposes.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Payed $11 for a 750ml and expected a beer with ridiculous flavor. The beer to me was not as great as it was build up to be. Sure this was a great buy, but not worth the price to me. Still worth trying it if you haven't yet.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

From the corked, caged 750 ml bottle stamped 20:54/L21-13267. Sampled on August 17, 2014.

Dark chocolate brown pour that builds up to a bountiful tan or light brown head.

An intriguing aroma that screams dark fruit such as plum, prunes, and apples along with the dark Belgian malts, more laid-back Belgian candied sugar ester, and virtually no booze.

Medium body that has a little chewy bite to it.

The taste is similar to the aroma with a bevy of overripe dark fruits, sweet roasted malts, and a low to modest hop bitterness that fills it out at the end. So I say à bientôt (see you later) and I'm off to enjoy this one with dinner.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at a local Spec's after seeing it online a few times. I thought this was a pretty good beer overall, but after a while the herbal and spice flavorings made me like it less and less. However, I would drink it again as it was something different and still good.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very dark brown with big off white head of foam.

The smell is bready, spicy(cloves), somewhat pungent.

Bread is big in the flavour, has some cloves, kind of fruity that gives me a hint of tartness. Super carbonated.

Overall, I like it but the flavours are a bit on the mild side. I think this is a bottle from 2010.

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cellared 3 years

Pours brown in color with a slight burgundy hue. Head is half a finger tan and has great retention.

Smell is great, loads if bready malt forward along with some really nice Belgian esters of bananas and plums. Lots of Belgian spicy and yeast aroma in the end.

Taste follows nose with bready malt forward. Spicy phenols of clove and other various spices. Finishes with some yeasty dryness and a fair amount of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is well balanced. Moderate carbonation medium bodied Dry finish .

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

An absolute favorite ale from Huyghe brewery. Pours a dense dark brown with a big foamed tan head that dies down to a nice layer with excellent lacing. Nose of dark fruits---plum and raisins, light Belgian yeast and Belgian candy malt. Taste is excellent. Plum and raisins sizzle into the flavor profile with this highly carbonated Belgian delicacy, cola and cherry tastes to the side. Aftertaste of cherries and cola. If one ever has a chance I would suggest trying it on tap----an absolutely fantastic Belgian ale.

3.85/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a really good beer. I enjoyed the taste and the aroma that it had. It has a smooth taste. The taste and smell was not too strong or too light. I enjoyed this beer very much. If tou have never had this beer before you should try it at least once. I know that I will have another one of these beers.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown color with red highlights and with a huge thick beige head with great retention and leaving some laces.
Aroma with notes of prunes, chocolate, nuts and molasses.
Very nice flavor with notes of chocolate, spices, prunes, figs, grapes, pears and cola. Just a hint of tartness and bitterness. Dry and mildly bitter aftertaste.
Medium body with appropriate lively carbonation. Alcohol of 8.5% abv was dangerously masked.
Outstanding beer, tasty and still very easy to drink. Perfectly balancing fruity sweetness with some tartness and bitterness, not a single sharp edge and with enough complexity to make it interesting. And despite its high abv I could have drunk a few bottles. I was expecting a sipper, but you know what, this was actually good.
Not sure why this one tasted so much better than the first I tried a long time ago.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep, dark brownish-red. Thick, foamy head. Fantastic lacing.

S: Faint cola. Plum. Sugars.

T: Dr. pepper'ish. So, I guess prune. Sweet, and Cherry.

M: Highly carbonated. Big body. Crisp.

O: it has been a looong time since I have tried this beer. I like it. Different than I remember. Slightly sweet with hints of raisins and cherries. Tasty.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark black with a retaining one finger head. Dark and malty to the nose with hints of sweetness and coffee. It goes down smooth. Starts sweet and ends malty. The aftertaste leaves a little booziness stuck to the back of your tongue. It's a pretty good beer. Not as great as I would have expected. The taste leaves a little to be desired. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid beer. But it doesn't do enough for me taste wise to warrant an outstanding rating.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours an almost opaque yet still clear very dark brownish amber in color with light amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the surface of the beer and some ruby + amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy dark tan head that slowly reduces to a slightly mottled very thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of dark fruits (cherry and raisin) over the top of lighter aromas of spices and just a hint of alcohol.

T: Upfront there is a moderate to strong flavor of sweet dark malts with moderate flavors of dark fruits (cherry, raisin, and prunes) and candi sugar contributing to the sweetness. Light to moderate flavors of spices as well as the distinctive Belgium yeast characteristics. Hints of alcohol and just a touch of bitterness in the finish which does not linger.

M: Just heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth.

O: Enough complexity to keep me interested, especially after the beer warms and opens up. Enjoyable and easy to drink though the alcohol could be a little better hidden in my opinion. Definitely an enjoyable beer and one that I grab every once in a while.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 1 Pint 9.4 oz bottle into Delirium Tremens Chalice. Cork said 2012.

A: Deep Mahogany. small creamy head that falls over time into a sticky creamy head that invites one in for another sip.

S: Plums, Nectarines, Prunes. Dark cherry. Raisin finish. Little to no alcohol. Normally bready Belgian Yeast scent is faint.

T: Little to no hops taste, but is very similar to a Hommel Ale if it lacked the hops. Dark fruits. Alcohol mild but present. Cherries hit in full force around the 3/4 taste. Smooth, yet warm alcohol finish.

M: Fantastic carbonation for the beer. It makes this smooth as all get out. The sticky head can be felt on the tongue late into the aftertaste because of all the carbonation. For style, nearly full marks.

O: Must try. To me, this is one of those Belgian Breweries that one should try all the varieties that can be found. It is a true piece of mastercraft.

Also - The review below me with the 1.9 rating... This is a beer for a seasoned Belgian drinker. It is not a first timer. If you are looking to get into Belgian Quads, Triples, etc. Try Gulden Draak, Piraat, Duvel. All will give you a welcome into the region. Once your "sweet rum tongue" gets used to the flavors exhibited.... the good ones like Rochefort for example... will fill your shelves.

1.88/5  rDev -53.1%

If you enjoy the taste of bottled of farts from Belgium, then this is the perfect drink for you. I was extremely disappointed with how terrible this drink was. I recently started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium after trying a mixed pack of Stella, Leffe, and Hofbrau. I went to the local Total Wine and Liquor and decided to try a Delirium Nocturnum because of the 97% rating from beer advocate. This was a costly mistake on my part.

The beer smells awful, it almost smells like someones breath after mixing Natty Ice with Popov liquor. It looks great poured out, has a rich red color to it, but it's all a trick. Going down Delirium taste like it smells, and it really does have a European fart taste to it, I swear. Almost as if some one was at the deli the day before loading up on smoked gouda cheese, so they could fart into the vat. It leaves an awful after taste in your throat and on your lips. It makes my throat feel like I was up smoking all night. I did like the bottle it comes in, it has great presentation, which is probably to hide how terrible the beer itself is.

Like I said I have just started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium, I am mostly a Rum drinker myself, I do enjoy Stella, Weihenstephaner, Leffe, and Hofbrau, I just don't understand all the hype behind this brew. It really was awful, it wasn't so bad that I poured it down the sink, but I will definitely stay away from this brew. I chose this over Delirium Noel and will stay away from the Delirium brand of beers from now on. I am now on the last drop from bottle, I was so upset that I paused what I was doing to write this review and warn others. For 5$ a bottle this is just no worth it, it would be worth it for 5 cents a bottle, save your money and try something else out.

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a D'Achouffe tulip. The pour is a bit rushed since this bottle is a gusher, but once I have it under control I get a nice dark reddish-brown beer that's clear as a bell, very effervescent, and sports a big rocky 3 fingers of head that sustains quite well. The nose has lots of sweet bready notes and dark fruits (figs and raisins), but also a somewhat harsh, metallic aroma as well.

The beer is medium-bodied and has a firm feel. High level of carbonation opens up your palate quickly. I get some faint malty notes up front and some fruit notes. The beer has a pronounced grape and wine-like flavor. The beer has a fair amount of dryness to play against the fruit and malt notes.

Interesting beer. It's not sweet and rich like some other beers in this style. It reminds me a bit of Trois Pistoles from Unibroue, only I get no alcohol warmth nor lingering fruity sweetness. A good beer, but not one I'll reach for again.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Super creamy tan and yellow color head. THick and very uniformed thin bubbled with lots of staying power and billowing up off the pour. Body is a a dark mahogany brown, with just a gorgeous ruby red when held up to the light. Quite a bit of clarity in there too and a nice rising middle column of carbonation in center. Just a great looking beer.

Spicy notes of caramel, and sharp clove and nutmeg, with a hot toasty note. Not much sense of malt or even sucrose sensing sweetness either. Just fairly basic and solid. Some faint banana fruit coming in as it warms.

Taste in the palate comes out a little playfully carbonated, not too bad, there's a bit of overly gaseous quality on the finish but the flavors manage to come out. Good amount of fruit but subtle raisin. Big champagne like crispness for the body and a hint of mild sour yeast to match giving a very wine like taste and flavor.

Overall quite a classic and fun beer, haven't had one of these in ages, nice to revisit once again.

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This holds a sturdy barley like brown coloring with a dense thick foam that set creamily atop until the beer was gone.

The nose was subdued but was at times fragrant. Chocolate malts, barley, dark fruits, cola nut and crabapple were detected.

The flavors are along the lines of the dark fruits with prune, date and raisin. I catch some fig, crabapple, chocolate malt and a bit of barley grain.

The feel is smooth, a little tangy, with little to no alcohol.

Another well crafted beer from Huyghe.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance:
Pours a dark brown body with a slight red hue when held to the light. Crowned by a thick, light brown head.

Aroma:
Sweet. Table sugar and light nutmeg. Raisin and hints of cherry. Caramel and distinctive Belgian yeast. A bit of cola. So far, so good.

Taste:
Here's where it loses me a bit... It's malty and sweet but it has an interesting taste I just can't get past and the best I can come up with to describe it is sour prunes. Dates and figs with a bit of cherry. Plenty of Belgian candies and nutmeg among other spices.

Mouthfeel:
Very smooth and easy to drink. Sweet finish. Light carbonation.

Overall:
While I encountered some flavors I didn't personally care for, I have a hard time faulting the entirety of this brew since there is a fair amount here to like. Worth trying, but if I want a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, I'll reach for a McChouffe.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe