Delirium Noël - Brouwerij Huyghe

good

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Noël Alström Bros

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Worth a try.. A very well made beer! 10% abv I detected no alcohol. Good Belgian ale

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

750ml bottle, caged and corked--painted white with a label featuring a pink elephant wearing a Santa hat, as well as Santa's sleigh being drawn by a team of pink elephants. It pours a light amber color with rusty, ruddy undertones. The two-finger off white head is quite frothy, showing good retention and leaving ample lacing.

The smell is yeasty and spicy, plenty of clove and pepper, along with banana and sweet malt. The taste offers Belgian candy, sour apple, some licorice, rasin, clove, caramel and chocolatey malt--the alcohol is well disguised.

The mouth is medium bodied and a little syrupy. The drinkability is a bit limited due to the syrupy characterstic. Solid, though not outstanding--below the standards of the other beers of the Delirium family.

The mouth is

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured a dark, cloudy amber color with chunks of solids, even though it was poured carefully and had been sitting for at least 3 days

Smells like plums, raisins, burnt spices, and alcohol.

Tastes are plum, smokey and somewhat medicinal.

Mouthfeel was crisp from high carbonation, yet somewhat awkward because of the solids.

Not my favorite from Delerium, but it is worth a try.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

taste- sour apple

color- amber-red

clarity- clear

smell- sweet malt, apple

appearance- active carbonation, sediment

overall impression- over-aged

notes- held for too long, lost some of its alcohol, a little flat and uninteresting. this review is for a 2005 vintage tasted in 2008

glassware: tulip

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

I've been tempted to give this a shot for quite some time now and what do ya know I got it tonight.
Appearance was dark, maroon and held a full two-finger head. The beer left a great lacing on the vessel as I finished.
Smell was plum and molassass with a slight cinnamon.
Plums, raisans and fig. Good taste but unexpected. I haven't had a dark Belgian in awhile but it seems to be along the style.
Moutfeel is sticky sweet,slick.
I could drink this again.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours out a very nice mahogany color with somewhat of a disappointing head. I was expecting it to be much bigger and rockier. It also resided rather quickly. The nose is wonderful. It is incredibly spicy and kind of funky, which I know cannot be what it really is...at least to my knowledge I don't know of any wild yeast in the Noel. Nevertheless, it has a wonderful aroma. The taste is much maltier that the nose but less than what I had expected before opening the bottle. There is a also funk-type flavor and spices in the flavor as well. It is definitely light in the mouth for a Belgian Strong Dark. Awesome beer...hands down my favorite of the Delirium series that Huyghe makes.

4.9/5  rDev +26.6%

Comes out of a cool looking bottle with the signature pink elephant. I dig it! The body is a deep dark and muddled tawney color which features a long lasting fizzy and foamy beige crown and offers up some nice lacing.

The smell is that of distinct Belgian yeast and dark fruits. This makes for a sweet nose with understated spice.

Kudos to the brewers of this fine elixer. What could have been an overly sweet mess, is balanced and an absolute joy to savor. Just the right amount of spice and hops to balance the symphonic sweet melody of flavor. Harmony for the taste buds.

THe feel is full and creamy, smooth and velvty. Take your pick. Tightly carbonated.Excellent.

Perfect nightcap, I savored ever one of the 750ml in my bottle and it was enough. (that's not to say I couldn't have more, however I cannot say that I am not satisfied.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured cloudy orange color with white miniml head fir a Belgian. Aroma has the Belgian yeast smell I expected, and dark fruits as well. Taste is a wonderful assortment of dark fruits from raisin and plum and fig, get candied sugar as well, but what I don't get is the 10. Abv which is astounding. Mouthfeel us medium and a but creamy actually. Great beer. This might be my new holiday brew to have every year at christmas.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Foil-wrapped 750mL with a cool faux-ceramic paint job and pink elephants dressed as Santa. I let my girlfriend pick the beer with the coolest bottle, and I don't think she did too badly.

Pours a light, muddy, and just barely translucent brown-- it's unfiltered, and that's exaclty how I like it. Nice head, as I'd expect from a monster belgian beer with live yeast in the bottle.

Banana notes of Belgian yeast are strong in the nose, with a background of nonspecific spices-- very complex, very Duvel-ish.

Tastes as yeasty as it smells, with a heavy banana custard flavor. Toasted malt, spices (which I still can't identify), and a mild sweetness show up mid-palate. The finish is malty and buttery, with a suggestion of diacetyl.

The mouthfeel is creamy and chewy; it's smooth as hell and I could hold one mouthful of this beer for about an hour and be perfectly happy.

The drinkability is terrific considering the ABV. This beer is extremely similar to Delirium Tremens, only darker, maltier, more complex and better in every conceivable way. I don't understand why it's not getting more love on here...

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Presenation: 1 pt, 9 oz corked bottle, no dating that I could find, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours an opaque reddish brown color. The head formed a thin one finger and faded quickly.

Aroma: Very sweet and fruity, apples mostly. There was a faint spiciness there as well along with some alcohol.

Taste: Also very sweet, cherry and apple flavors along with some spices I couldn't identify. The alcohol is barely noticeable, which is impressive as it's 10%.

Mouthfeel: Thick, almost chewy. The carbonation is quite strong and fits nicely.

Overall: An excellent brew to celebrate the holidays with.Once a year is good enough for me though.

Delirium Noël from Brouwerij Huyghe