Delirium Noël - Brouwerij Huyghe

Delirium NoëlDelirium Noël

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Noël Alström Bros
Reviews: 739 | Hads: 1,761
2.69/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell: Spice, Peaches, Fig, Plums, Apricots. Some alcohol. Notes of woody/nuttyness.

Taste: follows the nose with the fruit but that's about it. A little bit of spice but not like I smelled. You can taste the alcohol for sure. To sum it all, it's a belgIan strong dark but not really a christmas version.

Mouthfeel: not to thin and not to thick, a nice balance. No alcohol bite but you know it's there. Good carbonation, easy to drink.

Overall: probably would get again next year if I saw it on the shelf while shopping but not somthing I will seek out and would probably skip over in preference of other holiday beers. It will definetly get you feeling good at 10 abv.

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%

Medium amber pours from tap. Nice complex funky smell. Taste is rather thick and straightforward. Flavor is bready with an overwhelmingly dark fruit sweetness. Alcohol is not overwhelming but does provide what they must have been aiming for with the noel name.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

From a 750 into a pint glass, pours with a thick uneven head that quickly fell, clinging to the sides of the glass. Smells sweet and spicy, notes of caramel and evergreen (or is that the label swaying my nose?) . Tastes rich and complex, something spray and yeasty in the background. The alcohol comes through before the end, 50 it's hard to nail. Finishes Spicy with some carbonation coming back, but the sweet is Still under it. I could sip on this all night, if I could resist the temptation to drink too much. Very good stuff.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

11.2oz bottle....Glass goblet

Eyes: Pours garnet, bright. Pop culture head...gets all big but goes only south in the end.

Nose: After pour...some spicy yeast..eh....after breathing in the glass, some hot alcohol

Tounge: Sweetness of malt balanced by alcohol hotness, subtle yeast autolysis

Texture: Very thin....actually a palatable quality

Overall experience: It was ok. Alcohol wasn't harsh in the mouth.
Label was numerated/coded 1-10 and the 3 & 7 were clipped. I don't speak Pink Elephant (yet) so not sure the date.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

330ml bottle poured in snifter.

A: Dark amber and very little head that fades fast. Almost no lacing

S: A little bit of dark and sweet notes but obviously different than a RIS. Some plum and raisin with very little Belgian yeast notes.

T: Pretty Sweet for the style. I thin it overpowers the distinctive Belgian yeast we all love. Its not bad by any means. I think it might ever work well as its season release this these types of beers aim to be a bit festive.

M: Great mouth feel, not too thin and low to medium carbonation.

D: So so, The sweetness and the high ABV does have me wanting more than 1 in a single sitting.

The absolute best beer I've ever had. I think it's because I prefer a more Christmasy beer but this blew my mind. Well worth the price, and very delicious for the alc%. Not to mention it's a beautiful bottle.

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Got a bottle on sale at work since the "Holidays" are finally over.

A: I poured the beer into a nicely sized wine glass. It shows a nice ruby/amber color, hints of gilded bronze, and a white foamy head that doesn't last too long before forming a pleasant white ring around the edge of the glass.

S: A bit earthy from the malt, but framed with a lot of fruit and nice spicy notes. I smell cinnamon covered bananas, caramel apples, and sugar coated figs, balanced with a slight warming alcohol spice. Sweet, but not as sweet as I expected.

T&M: Rich and creamy with good fruit, but an overwhelming presence of malt character. Brown sugar, molasses, and caramel dominate the palate, but slowly fade allowing more of the fruit to emerge. Orange, plantain, ginger, and allspice emerge with a creamy and lightly carbonated finish.

I like this beer -- it doesn't blow me away, but I appreciate it for what it is. The high alcohol is masked well with the caramel malt tones and the abundance of spiced fruit. Considering I bought it on discount, I can't regret giving it a try.

2.79/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Opening a white bottle with a pink elephant merrily riding a sleigh made me very excited with what lay inside. I tore off the rapper, undid the cage, and popped the cork, eager to see the present inside. I poured the beer into a snifter basking in the cherry oak color. Alas, any head that formed, quickly deflated, and even the bubbles were no where to be seen. To my suprise, there was particles floating in my beer! The beer reminded me of apple cider, though less dense.

S: Wafting the snifter, I could smell the scent of apples. For a chistmas ale I expected more. More deeply a breathed, but only could pull out the smell of alcohol. Surprisingly, the smell was well hidden.

T: I brought the beverage to my lips and *gasp* it tasted like sparkling cider! Sure there were some hops in the background, but the majority was a foamy water with a slight hint of apple.

M: The thinness of the beer and the bubbliness is off putting. There is not much taste, and for the buildup, the taste was a let down.

D: This beer is simple and easy to drink, not harsh or off putting. However, for the price, I expected more in the way of taste.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

.750 bottle into a Delirium Noel glass with little pink elephants pulling Santa's Sleigh:

A: Pours amber to ruby in color with a nice thick, tannish head. Good lookin' beer.
S: Alcohol with some fruit (raisins?) that's hard to pinpoint. A lot like a regular Delirium Tremens (that's not bad).
T: Alcohol with a note of dried cherries and a touch of spice in the flavor. Not a burning alcohol, it was just very noticable in the flavor, in a rather smooth way.
M: Nice body, I was expecting something thicker and richer for a X-mas beer.
D: I should note that I have a little bit of a cold, so my taste/smell may not be quite up to par, but this seemed to come through okay. I thought this was going to be richer than it was, but that said, it was a very good beer and I had no problem finishing the bottle. I have a second bottle in my fridge and I look forward to revisiting this in a month or two (or maybe next X-mas).

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Paddy Longs. Keg was aged one year.

A: Copper and amber with a two fingers of head that quickly and totally dissipates

S: Good malt and peppery spices, as well as coriander and mild candy sweetness.

T: Coriander, yeast with belgian spices and dark fruit sweetness

M: mild carbonation and very slightly slick feeling in the mouth.

D: I could have one or two of these beers no problem.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Spicy amber with lots of rich malt, in a brew with extremely clear malt. Easy drinking, especially for the style. Only a slight touch of the yeast associated with the Tremens, but the fruit flavors are there. There almost seems to be a bit or sourness on the finish though.. I am wondering if this is intentional.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Bought a 2007 750 to celebrate the completion of the semester. Cork popped with a good bit of force and I poured it into a Duvel glass. Pours a transparent orangish-brownish-ruby color that when held to the light was really very pretty. Off-white fluffy head took a while to settle down to a solid film that left a great deal of lacing. The smell is sweet fruit, plum, and candy sugar. The taste is good but a little disappointing when judged against other belgian strong dark ales. Its a little too light and fruity as opposed to the rich and deep flavours I have come to expect from this style. That being said it is well balanced and very drinkable with the alcohol content well hidden. The mouthfeel is velvety and the beer goes down with dangerous ease. I would certainly partake again.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

a : Clear poor into a snifter, generates ample, white, head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing. The beer is a dark red/amber color
s : I love the smell of this. Dark fruits, raisons, cherries. The alcohol is faint, but you can smell it. I can also smell something else, it reminds me of like... sprite, citrisy.
t : I got a real big punch of citrus-sweetness right up front. The first drink finish with a nice hoppy bitterness mixed in with the dark fruits that I smelled. This beer is malty and well balanced. Also, sequence tastes of the beer didn't produce that puch of citrus that I got with my first sip. Finally, I should mention that the alcohol is noticeable if you are looking for it, but I blend in well with the other flavors. It does however give a nice warming sensation as you drink the beer, which probably good since it is a winter ale.
m : Not as much carbination as some belgian styles I have had. The beer is pretty thin, but is able to coat the mouth well and stick around until you next drink.
d : I am trying something new here and not checking the ABV on the beer before I determine this. So, given that I have no knowledge of the ABV I thnk I will say that this is a pretty drinkable beer. Not as good as the Tremens, but still pretty good. Give me 2 pints of this stuff and it will certainly turn into a happy hour.

This beer is a favorite of mine and I was happy to be able to obtain a bottle of it to drink this year. I like the darker malt and fruit tastes that I get with the beer and also the characteristic acidity that most belgians have. Good buy, go try.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Pink Elephants aside, Delirium Noël looks like a beer that intends to be a beer. It came in a stately (sans elephants) 75 cl bottle, corked and basket, in opaque glass. There's little notable about the pour, beyond the deep amber colour, and the thin head. There's apples, cinnamon, and what seems to be a few light, phenolic hints in the odour. In the mouth it's smooth, not at all thin, and with perfect amount of crispness to counter this sweet, malty beer. Little citrus zest, though not much, and it first, I confused it with a more peppery flavour. The alcohol becomes apparent as it warms, but so does the `roasted fruits` of indeterminate origin. A heady beer, sweet enough that people must take pains to pace themselves.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, split with a buddy.

A: Deep amber with a thin rim of tan foam around the outside of the beer and not much lacing.
S: Slighty sweet with some sourness and dark fruit notes a slight hint of woodiness as well.
T: Deep dark fruit predominates with a hint of spice from the yeast. A carmel sweetness compliments the flavors well.
M: Medium mouthfeel, sweeter than I expected for a belgian strong. The alcohol is hidden well, especially at 10%.
D: Quite drinkable and one of my favorite Christmas seasonals every year. Very smooth for a 10%er. Highly recommend.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

There's two types of Christmas beers...the kind that tastes a bit like a fruit cake and the kind that's just a stronger, maltier version of whatever its root style is. I'm very fond of both. Delirium Noel is an outstanding example of the latter...a Belguim Strong Dark Ale that's perfect for a quiet December night in front of the fire but could just as easily be enjoyed during the summer when you're looking for a strong malt bomb. Pours beautiful (there's very few beers that don't look good going into the glass) lots of bananas on the nose and then the taste - pure malt. Delicious.

I enjoyed it a little colder than the recommended serving temp but I thought it was better for it.

Recommended music pairing: Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful Christmas

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

I was really excited to grab this along with the 11 other beers i got on this particular trip, so lets see how she fairs. And i was surprised when i corked this 750ml to find that it was a 2009 bottle.

A- Pours a Deep reddish brown with no head to speak of

S- Almost fully black cherry with a little bit of hops

T- Tastes almost identical to the smell only in stronger dosage. Hops settle in the back of your throat and give almost the feeling of warm chocolate. Spices warm your throat and belly like a nice aged scotch.

M- Carbonation coats the tongue nicely and is nice and chewy in the mouth.

P- Overall a nice winter beer. A few bottles will probably accompany me on snowboard trips this season.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer performs a balancing act between the usual winter/christmas beer flavors and the flavors that characterize the other Delirium beers. Somehow, they manage to make the spicy, gingerbready flavors work in concert with the fruity, floral, sweet taste. It is a beer that is good months, probably years, after it was originally bottled. And let's not forget the 10% abv kick that helps shake off the cold.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Instant cider aroma detected upon uncorking this 2006 run of DN. I got a nice head, and a strong flavor of slightly darkened candi sugar. its almost like eating a caramel covered apple, then drinking a decently hopped beer.

As with Delirium Tremens, DN sneaks its high alcohol content in nicely. This beer is not as dry as Delirium Tremens, but still maintains that "champagne" like mouthfeel that I get from Huyghe Brewery's other fine offerings. Mine had quite a bit of sediment after the second pour, which I enjoy.

I will get more of this, and I suggest it if you enjoy Belgian beer.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy deep amber with a 3/4 inch head that decays relatively quickly but leaves some lacing.

Very slight aroma hinting at a fall beer, but not enough to place it.

Smooth - First taste has a hint of bubble-gum. Settles down to a mix of fall spices. Lively mouth feel but rolls down smoothly. Swish it around and there is lots of carbonation and you can definitely taste the alcohol.

Don't know if I would serve it because my guests need to drive home. Besides, sharing is over-rated.

The perfect beer for sitting in front of the fire, looking at the stars or reading a book, or taking in a classic movie snuggled up with that special person.

Better than Tremens.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Amber red, thin tan head, slight lacing

S - Malty, sweet, spicy, cloves, alcohol

T - Sweet, fruity, spicy. Alcohol is strong.

M - Slightly warming, medium carbonation

D - Just OK for me, at least compared to the price. Lacked some of the complexity I expected from a seasonal beer.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

2005 bottle uncorked on Crhistmas Day. Poured into a snifter and built a nice head . Immediate note of raisins and alcohol. I allowed it to warm to room tempature. Beautiful amber color and a slick mouth feel. Nose really big once warmed up. Flavors complex with the alcohol coming through in the finish.

Definitely ins to sip and enjoy with friends.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

Served in oversized wine glass.

Pours a translucent, ruddy reddish amber. Bubbly, off-white head dissipates quickly. Not much to look at.

Aroma is spicy and yeasty, with hints of banana, raisin, green apple, clove and alcohol.

Taste is smooth and spicy, with notes of banana, pear, green apple, spice and yeast. Aftertaste is a faint, dry spiciness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full. Carbonation seems a bit subdued.

A good beer, I suppose. Fitting for Christmas, but pales in comparison to Nocturnum and Tremens.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a chalice.

A: Nice, pleasant amber brown. Thin, beige head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Very pleasant, slightly spiced, bready, malty, slightly sweet.

T: Definitely in line with other seasonals. Detected a little spice, nice dark maltiness, and a hint of slight sweetness as from dark fruits.

M: Not as thick as some holiday beers, but pleasant. The carbonation provides just enough cleanliness to it.

D: Pretty solid, bit at 10% I wouldn't call it a session beer!

Overall, pretty good, pretty much what I would expect from a Delirium. Could easily return to this, perhaps in front of a fire on a snowy evening.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

A dark amber, translucent beverage with limited legs. The head was offwhite but limited, it disipated rather quickly.

The nose was malty with hints of brown sugar and toasted bread as well as very boozy.

The mouthfeel was heavier than expected with a suprisingly bubbly texture. The taste initially came off as caramel, cinnamon bun with malty and boozy finish. Nice warming finish. As the beer warmed up you were able to taste hints of cherry and strawberry.

Delirium Noël from Brouwerij Huyghe