Delirium Noël - Brouwerij Huyghe

good

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Delirium Noël Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - Pours a dark brown color with a 2 inch-thick, creamy head that lingers for a couple minutes.

Smell - Sweet with orange zest, coriander, clove, and banana, Smells amazing.

Taste - Very sweet with hints of banana, some other fruits I can't really pinpoint, coriander, and clove. Has a really strong alcohol flavor but is mixed in well.. and is bitter near the end with a slight coffee and whiskey flavor.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thick with quite a bit of carbonation.

Overall - This is probably the first dark beer I've had that DIDN'T make me gag haha. But it's still not my style.. but I won't knock it

4.31/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favorite Christmas ale and as the Belgian tradition influences American beers, I hope more breweries here will look to Delerium's Noel for inspiration.

I marked it down a little on appearance only because the head is somewhat weak. However, when it comes to the aroma and taste I marked it up a little as well. A splash of some nice spiciness melds with the senses. Therein lies the key to a good Christmas brew.

This ale also has a little more sweetness and maltiness much in the Belgian tradition. I like that. I usually prefer a mellow texture to my beers, but the fizzy ale here makes Delirium Noel a wonderful Christmas eve sipper by the fireplace while silently watching a rerun soccer match and..

...this a quality brew deseves a quality pairing iwth only the best. I recommend a milky buttery oyster stew with oyster crackers while chillin' to the noises of beautiful Christmas music from the amazing and icononic guitarist John Fahey!!

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

375 bottle purchased and consumed at The Beer Mongers, PDX, 12.4.11, poured into Delirium tulip.

Two fingers off white head, small bubbles, medium dissipation with significant lacing over dark brown opaque body, no visible carbonation even when held up to light, a really dark beer. Light golden raisins in the nose, some plums, a bit of earthy hops for presence. Taste mirrors the nose, though the hops are a bit more floral on the tastebuds, a bit of light spice presence, cinnamon. Mouthfeel is well on the full side of medium, good effervescence, a slight bit sticky. A nice Belgian Holiday Ale, though I'm guessing this taste a bit better in the big bottle where the bottle conditioning is more effective.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

On draft at The Fridge, Lancaster, PA

Served in a 12 oz Tulip/Snifter style glass. An acceptable glass.

Poured a ¼” head, which reduces quickly to a thin cap.
Dark brownish amber color.

The smell is one of spicy, cinnamon and clove, aromas, followed by candied fruits.

Very crisp, yeasty, distinct candied fruit, entry on the palate, medium sweet, some malt in the middle. Medium full mouth feel and champagne like carbonation add balance. Very tasty.

Long finish of yeast and candied fruits. Excellent.

Quite good, but I was expecting a bit more yeast intensity. The expected refinement of most Belgium Ales was missing from this offering.
That being said there is something to like about this ale, excellent crisp acidity and you can actually taste the presence of the 10 % ABV. Thank you. Good overall Strong Ale “presence”.
I would never turn one down.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Holy wow. This beer is just a mixture of emotions.

Sweet bottle, first off. It's the color and complexion of cookies 'n cream, with a cork. It pours a good dose of head that fizzles to just a thin layer after not too long. Really interesting color. Deep, dark mahogany.

My sense of smell is not that sharp, but this brew knocked me back with sweet, sour cherries and some pear. The 10% ABV kicks at the start, but especially the finish — which mixes with a Belgian yeast-y funk, which is great if you're into that thing.

It tastes fruity, deep and Belgian. Not sure what I'd drink it with, but it warmed me up in no time at all.

But take note: I found little balance with this beer. It was a strong, funky party in my mouth. I still don't know if I like it, but I appreciate what the brewers have done here.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have long awaited purchasing Delirium Noel as my favorite beer is Delirium Nocturnum. It finally arrived at my local beer store today so I got myself a couple bottles of it to sample.

A- The Noel has an exceptional crimson color with an unexpectedly large and rocky 3 finger off-white head.

S- At first sniff, I got a weird vomit-like smell. However, on my second go at it I noticed a much fruitier smell. More complex notes came through including dark fruits like plums and cherries. There is a sweet malt scent to it as well.

T- Sweet and sour fruit against a malty backdrop. Tasty explosion in your mouth, well matched flavors perfectly compliment each other, excellent combination. This is a beer that truly got better with every sip.

M- Silky mouthfeel like that of the Nocturnum. Perfect for the flavor and carbonation.

This beer has earned its status as a Delirium and is a beer I would enjoy on any occasion. I would especially recommend this to anyone who appreciates Delirium's other offerings.

3.56/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I headed over to Le Dernier Métro recently to surprisingly find out that they were serving this on tap rather than Delirium Tremens! I had no idea it was 20 proof at the time, but such is life. This was poured into a Delirium trademark 25cl goblet.

Contains an amber, brown color. An extremely tiny head, which is honestly surprising considering the ABV. Great carbonation on the sides of the glass, however, and the cloudy look adds more favorable presentation.

The smell was by far one of the strangest I've encountered with Belgian beers in the past months, as I my nose could HARDLY find any noticeable aromas! I managed to pick up some light spiciness, some boozy notes, sugar cane, but isn't the point of Noël to have large noticeable spices? Either on tap it's far different from the bottled version, or I'm insane in claiming that this beer doesn't smell like anything. We'll find out in good time.

The flavor, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. Hits home with a spicy, malty flavor (as it should) and contains huge notes of caramel and ginger near the end. There's also a lot of orange and lemon peel thrown in, which adds some interesting acidity. Contains, thankfully, the same creamy consistency of Delirium's other beers. Warms up the throat very well, which makes it a perfect seasonal beer for cold weather indeed.

I admit that I don't have the largest knowledge on seasonal spiced brews, as I'm not a huge fan, but most that I've tried in Europe have been very enjoyable so far. This IS a good beer, mind you (although I prefer their flagship beers way more) but it does at times resemble a dubbel gone kind of haywire. The spices don't excite me as much as they should, but the malts and yeast taste great. Worth a try but would recommend starting with Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum before this one.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Even though this is a Belgian beer I had this beer at American Craft on Dec. 1, 2011

Poured from the tap into a Delirium snifter.

The color is clear maroon with a finger and a half of foamy white head and some slight lacing left on the glass.

The aroma is of dark fruit. There is some slight fig, and plum aroma in the nose that is sweet a bit.

The taste is has some nice cherry flavor that is mixed with a slight raspberry flavor and some sickly sweet malt flavor. There is a slight bitterness that comes out toward the end that makes a slight balance to the flavor.

The feel of this beer is so smooth it feels like silk on the tongue and goes down so easy that it is barely putting any kind of aftertaste in the back of the throat.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Split w/ Steve Andrews.

A: A nice reddish-amber with a finger-width head that dissipates quickly and completely. An unexpected color and pour.

S: Mostly Belgian yeast, a bit of dark fruit, and slightly sour peaches. It sounds awkward, but it works.

T: Definitely sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. The slightly sour notes hold up, and the dark fruit is delicious.

M: A nice body on this beer actually. A good balance between the carb typical of Delirium and the heft required of a BDSA.

O: A good beer. Not quite as good as Tremens, but tasty.

Delirium Noël from Brouwerij Huyghe