Frubee Strawberry - Brouwerij Huyghe

Frubee Strawberry
No picture uploaded.

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Witbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Billolick on 10-31-2005)
Reviews by erica:
1.3/5  rDev -53.4%

Oh. My. God. I am embarrassed for this beer. Seriously. I took a trip up to Half Time and saw on the bottom shelf, or maybe 2nd from the bottom, this Frubee business. Strawberry or Banana. Priced at $0.99. That's right, 99 cents! So... it looks bad from the label, the name sounds bad, like an annoying children's TV character or something, and it's cheap so it's probably bad, but what the heck, it's cheap so I'll try it. I opted for Strawberry. The label is gold and metallic red, big white lettering, even says Imported Belgian White Fruit Beer. Maybe it'll be ok...? So tonight I took the plunge into the 8.4 oz. bottle. It poured out ok like what I would expect a strawberry white beer to be, cloudy orangey reddish brown with a white head that looked like the head on iced tea after you shake it up real good.

So then I smelled it. Wow! Smells like sugary strawberry jam. I happen to eat strawberry jam packets at restaurants while waiting for real food, and it smelled exactly like that. That's all. No hint of any white/wit beer I've ever experienced. OK for some sugar with breakfast, but for a beer? Grossly sweet. I began to get really scared for what it would do to my mouth. I was in it this far, and I figured I better just go with it and take a swig. Holy crap did my teeth just disintegrate from the sugar and citric acid? My god, there is nothing to this beer except sweet artificial fruit syrup/juice. Strawberry candy. If you want to teach 5 year olds to drink beer, this is the beer to do it with. A little bit tart like strawberry flavored things usually are, but too syrupy sweet. If I concentrate hard enough, in the finish I get a bit of the spiciness associated with wit beers.. But it is definitely not the focus.

So. On to mouthfeel. Great, I have to take another sip to notice what it feels like. Not too bad actually, not syrupy, but really fizzy like soda. And it leaves a nasty sweet acidic sugar coating feel on your teeth like you drank super concentrated Coke or something. I will need to brush my teeth when I'm done to insure the decay doesn't get worse than it probably already is.

Man, I like a spoonful of strawberry jam from a packet, but here I have 8.4 ounces of this stuff to get through. 8.4 ounces! That's like a jelly jar's worth! So drinkability gets a big fat 1. Er, rather a tall skinny 1. Not even good if I thought of it not as a beer but as a soda. It might be a soda for all I know, there's no ABV on the bottle at all. I hesitate to dump it, as it was a whole 99 cents... well it's either dump or chug. I can't drag this out all night. Hmm.. I think I have to go with drain pour on this one. probably about 4 or 5 ounces left.. no good. Highly unrecommended, even for the 'girly' fuit beer lovers.

3.73/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8.4 ounce bottle, pours cloudy orangy/brown/muddy strawberry, moderate off white head and just minor lacing. This one shows off a strawberry puree nose and notes of pwdered sugar, sweet fruits, including lots of strawberry and also melon. Decent desert beer. If youre not into fruity sweet beers stay away.

3.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a dep murky apper cider hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good sticky lacing.

The smell featured a fresh strawberry jam aroma with some yeast esters in the background.

The taste was upfront mildly tart fresh strawberry. Really authentic strawberry flavor.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness and mildly syrupy.

Overall a pretty good drinking experience. Good strawberry flavor. A nice dessert beer.

3.88/5  rDev +39.1%

My wife tried this on tap at the Delirium Cafe in Brussels. She was looking for something a little different. And this certainly was.
Looks like a light fruit punch. Orangy/pink with a white creamy head. Smell is cough-syrup sweet with heaps of strawberry. The taste is really nice, though. It's like the strawberry syrup that you pour over ice cream, but it's better - there's beer in it, too!
Creamy mouthfeel, and good drinkability, but one's all you need.

3.13/5  rDev +12.2%

Another gift from a friend, this brew is a light pink, cloudy liquid. The head is white and very modest. There’s a mix of strawberry and watermelon in the nose. Little malt smell, and almost no hop aroma at all. The beer is effervescent and extremely sweet. The strawberries really shine through in the beer, but not much else. The sweetness is a little cloying at the end, and with nothing to balance the berries, the beer is very one-dimensional. Sweet and lingering finish. This one was interesting and fun, but also something of a disappointment.

1.2/5  rDev -57%

my first drain pour!! actually i wanted to but i let my friend drink it. i was kinda pumped on this $1.50 brew i picked up and it was the worst thing ever. it actually poured beautifully with a surprising amberesque haze to it with a tiny little head (not pink). the smell was terrible for a beer but nice for a strawberry cheesecake, i couldnt even drink this because i had to smell it every time therefore making me gag. i was forcing myself to swallow as the taste was similar to the smell... pitiful. never again, but i am glad i tried it.

2.83/5  rDev +1.4%

Frubee Strawberry
8.4 oz brown bottle
"C" 07 clearly notched
Served in a Delirium Tremens tulip glass

- Picked up at a corner deli in the East Village, NYC -

Pours a hazy brown color with a minimal head on top. No trails of sticky lace evident.

Pure fruit salad blast in the nose with major highlights of ripe strawberries.

Sugary juicy punch. Almost liquid sugar in flavor with a strong, syrupy strawberry juice emphasis with a touch of peach.

It's foolish to play this beer off as a fine Belgian Witbier. The flavors are way too artificial and sugary for the style. Way too sweet for the average session. This beer may work well with the female audience or as an after dinner beverage, but don't expect much more.

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

Like others here, I saw this for 99 cents and I couldn't resist. I like fruit beers as a nice alternative, so what's the harm?

I let it chill for a bit, and then popped it open. It's certainly packaged like the more expensive lambics, but does it taste like them as well? Unfortunately, no. This doesn't mean that it tastes bad, but it just lacks the complexity and the sensation that the fruit aspect is integrated with the beer.

The strawberry is unavoidable, as it just smacks you in the face. At first, it's somewhat refreshing, but the lack of actual beer characteristics just disappoints. Then there is the finish, which is somewhat acidic and more akin to soda than beer. Yup, this is sweet stuff. It has a decent enough flavor & aroma, but everything else falls flat.

I'm sure it could appeal to someone who likes fruit flavored malt beverages, but it doesn't stand on its own as a beer. For 99 cents, it's still worth checking out.

Frubee Strawberry from Brouwerij Huyghe
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.