Artevelde Grand Cru - Brouwerij Huyghe

Artevelde Grand CruArtevelde Grand Cru

good

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-11-2002)
1.6/5  rDev -55.3%

I have a suspicion that I picked up a bad bottle of this beer. There were a few clues to this line of reasoning. The cork, which was labeled 2003, was a bit sticky and the foil over the cork was dusty.

As this beer has an alcohol content greater than 7%, I had hoped I might be in for a treat with a bottle aged 4 years. Alas, I was mistaken.

The pour foamed quickly and died to skim. Strangely, bubbles continued to rise from the sides of the glass where my fingers were holding it. The color was murky, dirt water brown, with a haze that appears to be suspended yeast. I suspected I was in trouble.

I was hit by nice malt scents followed with a slightly sulphury odor. There was no sweet or sour taste for me. It was very astringent.

I ended up pouring 2/3 of the bottle down the drain.

From reading the other reviews, I am more than willing to try this beer again. However, I will find a different source and hopefully a better beer.

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 18E). Bottle 33 cl - Batch LG8_13198. AROMA: leather and old aromas. no esters recognizable. APPEARANCE: deep amber color and clear. large ivory head with good retention. TASTE: leathery flavours mixed with some sweet and caramelly notes. low bitterness and a semi-dry finish. PALATE: medium-low body with high carbonation. OVERALL: a belgian strong ale with oxidated aromas and flavours.

2.08/5  rDev -41.9%

I drank this from a bottle into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a medium brown with a decent white head and ok lacing.

Immediately after uncapping I was hit with a smell of banana, but in a totally unpleasant way. That was the dominant smell with alcohol.

The taste is very plain and boring. A very poor effort here.

2.55/5  rDev -28.8%

330mL brown bottle with gold foil around neck and cap. Poured out with hardly any head, with quick dissipation. A murky deep copper red tone, the nose is sweet and citrusy, with caramel highlights. Sweet fruity toffee flavour, some lemon, mouthfeel is watered down. It has its moments, but nothing special.

2.6/5  rDev -27.4%

Very disapointing, An extremely simple beer for a Grand Cru, I like to be wowed when a brewery gives this name. A fruity and slightly sour aroma with some hints of malt complexity. A bit musky,. Flavor is very sugary and simple. Very little malt complexity. Some fruityness with hints of pear and berries, but even this does not work well with the lame malt profile. Sugary sweet after taste just is horrible and off balance.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Better than the standard Artevelde, but still not that good. Sugary yeasty chartacter, medium body, not very complex, and on the sweeter side, with a caramelised sugar flavour. Not so good.

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Eased out the cork with a slight "sigh." I'm a little hesitant to even drink this beer in the first place because lord knows the conditions and extremes this beer has been through. Cork say 2003 (relax).

Pours out a dense brown but when held up to the light displays a huge ruby undertone. I was expecting something flat but the streams of carbonation are more than holding their own. Head settles to a white coating. Aroma is a bit watered down.. damp/humid might be a good descriptor too. Upfront is a weird sweet green apple scent. Raisins and brown sugar stand out a bit with minor hints of banana bread and nutmeg in the background.

Taste has a fruity tartness opening that is hard to ignore. It's somewhere between a knockoff brand flavored tootsie roll and a piece of Bubble Yum Grape. A little butterscotch and brown sugar in the finish. Honestly that's all I have to say about this one. Age/storage hasn't been a great helper to this one.

Great carbonation working in the mouth here, and a richness is still intact despite the factors working against this one. Drinkability isn't strong because the alcohol shows itself after it's already in your stomach , and the beer doesn't really settle once it gets there either.

Great Grains Presents: An Artevelde Grand Cru

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a lightly hazy amber color and is topped by a light brown head that disappears after a bit. The aroma is a mix of spicy notes, chocolate, prunes, musty earth, and figs. Quite an interesting melange of aromatics actually. The taste is sweet up front, but then moves to a spicy note in the middle. I get notes of cinnamon, figs, prunes, raisons, and a certain woodiness. This beer finishes a tad on the week side, it quickly disappears losing the rich fruity maltiness surprisingly quickly. This beer has notes that are quite reminiscent of a lightly aged beer; hints of sherry and rich meaty malt notes. This beer is reasonably tasty, in fact all of the flavors and aromas I consider quite desirable, but it just seems to be lacking in some way that makes it a bit disappointing. The flavors do not meld enough into a synchronized whole.

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours to a murky brown color with an light brown head. The is malty and kinda yeasty with a bit of spice. The flavor is malty with a bit of peppery spice. It is medium in body and okay, nothing great. Would I have it again, I don't know. Less than I was hoping for since I love the belgians.

Oh, well

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Big, bright and airy, this robust brew forms a massive head on top a dark, stormy body. 4.0

S: Big malts, caramelized sweetness and light floral hops with belge yeast

T: Boots in with a strong caramelized malt as to be expected from the smell, then turns out a red fruit taste and delicate bitter herb script before finishing with rebound on the sweet side

M: Medium body with a mid level of carbonation, sits a little too long on the palate

O: Although a lovely brew the bittering agent isn't balanced with the sweetness the way that I was looking for after the first few sips. Great aesthetically and a fantastic back story, I feel that it holds more love for Grand Cru enthusiasts then with someone of my bitter loving tastes.

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 330ml bottle with gold foil top, and no freshness date.
Pours murky auburn with weak head that fades almost immediately. The smell is fruity & acidic. Tastes of figs, raisins, slight malt tones and plenty of vinous alcohol. Mouthfeel is spritzy & slightly slick.
Notes: I was expecting a more balanced brew - it seems rather one-dimensional. My wife tried a sip and commented that it tasted like homebrew…and not in a good way. I tend to agree. While not bad, it’s really not very enjoyable. It would make a decent “winter warmer” nightcap, but there are better choices out there.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fizzy, gray-tan head dies in twenty seconds. Dark, dirty, hazy brown beer. No lacing. The aroma is sweet, fermenting plums and toffee. The front is tingly-tart, with more toffee and molasses. The middle is fizzy-fruity and shows a little chocolate. Dry, port-like finish has tart apples, alcohol and a little corky woodiness. It's not hideous, but definitely among the bottom of the heap of Belgians available around here.

3.33/5  rDev -7%

75 cl. bottle. Pours a dark caramel color with an off white head.No lacing. Reeks of sweet fruits and yeast;like freshly baked raison bread. A caramel and lemongrass sweet spiciness stands out with a chocolate malt and alcohol taste in the background. Light bodied, the mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. A decent brew over all.

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Deep, dark, eggplanty brown, with a big, fizzy toasty tan head.
Aroma: clean, with notes of toffee and cocoa, but rather "eh"...
Taste: big carbonation, full–on cola feel, some spiciness, a touch of toffee. Mostly it tastes like fizzy coke, without enough intervening flavors to offer even the suggestion of something else. Finish rounds out too quickly, body is medium at best...kind of a dud, methinks...didn't thrill me at all...

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a very dark brown with a thick creamy tan head that stands nearly two inches tall. My wife says it looks like a desert with chocolate and cream. Very appetizing, one of the best looking beers I've poured into my tulip glass to date.

Smells very grape, tart and wine like. A bit of a candy sugar smell as well. This beer is off to a roaring start, and I haven't even tasted it yet.

Grape juice. Sweetened grape juice. A lot of it. A bit malty, a bit tart in the end, but mostly one dimensional. Some raisin and spice creeps in as it warms. Aftertaste is tart, almost a tad sour. Not a bad taste, but doesn't floor me.

Carbonation is sharp and the body is medium, almost a bit sticky. Better than average but not exceptional. The beer is about average for drinkability, considering the style and strength. Alcohol is notable but not overpowering.

If it tasted as good as it looked I'd be stocking up.

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Served chilled, but allowed to warm up a bit, in a Delirium Noel glass. 750 mL corked and caged bottle with 2003 printed on the cork. Precisely when in 2003 is anyone's guess.

Appearance: Dark, ruby colored liquid with a light tan head. Very bubbly. Head recedes pretty quickly to a film of bubbles.

Smell: Prominent apple cider smells. Plum, raisin, pepper, grape and some odd medicinal notes. A decent sniffer, but not overwhelming. I was merely whelmed.

Taste: Sweet, slightly sour caramel malt with a heathy peppery wallop. Medicinal overtones. Take the general malt of a dubbel and merge it with the pepperiness of a tripel, toss in a bit of acidic sourness and you have this brew. Pruny fruit and banana esters on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with some great effervescence.

Drinkability: I think their other beers (ya know, the one's with the elephants on them) are much better. That and Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru is available at near the same price. Still, it's worth checking out. It might just float your boat.

3.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Nearly black with a thin tan head that doesn't last. Scant lacing.
S: Phenolic start. Aroma of sour grapes. No pun intended.
T: Roasted malts dominate, with some dark fruits in the background. Definite lacto here.
M: Thin body.
D: Not sure about this one. Would have to try it again before recommending.

3.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle Inspection: Cork was slightly askew under the cage, and there was a little stickiness to the neck of the bottle. A pliers assisted pull produced a very meek pop and showed 2003 on the cork. Label has 7.4% abv. and notched numbers at the bottom that MIGHT indicate a date, but I can’t read them.
I stored this bottle in my fridge from about 2004 just before the brewery pulled out of Texas.

Aroma: Plum and grape jam, some floral notes, and a light Belgian yeast note. Very grape, juicy even.

Appearance: Pour gave a good finger head (a relief given the bottle state) but dropped back to the scantest of covers. Goblet is dark brown with clear ruby edges.

Flavor: Again, grapes lead the way for me. Quickly following is a firm yeast note. The profile is much like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale (ok, BA agrees with me). I’m reminded of Terrible from Unibroue. Some other dried fruits come out and a light rum note as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Light Medium body, thin texture, low carbonation (possibly due to age).

Overall Impression: A nice beer. I half feared this would turn into a gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes for another gem robbed from Texas by the TABC, but while this is a fine beer, I don’t think I’ll crave another.

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

I shared a bottle of this with my hosts during a second Thanksgiving dinner. The beer was a dark caramel color with a medium-sized bubbly, foamy, fawn-colored head which left very little lacing on the glass. I easily picked out flavors of caramel and anise through its subtle spicing. A reserved example of a grand cru, this was considerably smoother than the Allagash I'd had two days previously. I do not mean to say that I like this better; on the contrary, I prefer the Allagash. I don't drink a grand cru for its smoothness. I want to be challenged, and I want to find food pairings with which the spices can play. The Artevelde was quite drinkable and abundantly carbonated, and I was very pleased with its transition from sweet, caramelized malts to spiciness. But in general I'd pass this one over for a more robust example of the style.

Artevelde Grand Cru from Brouwerij Huyghe