2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Florisgaarden Apple - Brouwerij Huyghe

Florisgaarden AppleFlorisgaarden Apple

Brouwerij Huyghe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 03-22-2003)
View: Beers (66) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 21 | Reviews: 20 | Show All Ratings:
mschofield

2.05/5  rDev -39.3%

Pours a pale greenish gold, topped with a one finger white head, no lacing.
Apple aroma, green apple, to be more specific it's basically a sour apple jolly rancher candy.
Same in taste - sour apple jolly rancher, nothing else.
Light bodied, too sweet even with the sourness, although this would be a step up for malternative drinkers. My lesson - when the bartender, who has already demonstrated he knows what he's doing, tries to get me to try a sample before ordering a pint. Listen to the man, chances are you'll dump half the pint as I did with this.

03-23-2005 00:21:06 | More by mschofield
BrewMaster

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

I have to preface my remarks by saying that by the end of this night I was craving a sweet beer so I opted for this beer. Had I not been in the perfrect mood for a beer like this, my review may not have been as favorable.

Appearance: Bright orange/yellow color with a white head on top. There is pretty decent head retention given how damn long it too the server to get this beer from the bar to my table.

Smell: Sure, it's malty with some nice yeast notes, but really it smells a lot like Martinelli's apple cider. Not a bad thing especially since it is an apple beer. Kind of makes sense, no?

Taste: Surprise! It's got a big time apple flavor with a soft malt flavor and some creaminess to it. Some phenols jump in as well, giving it a nice kick of banana flavor. The yeast impart slight flowery sweetness that is pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Soft and fluffy on the palate. Everything I expected and wanted out of this beer.

Drinkability: This beer scores some extra points here because it hit the spot just like I wanted. It is an easy beer to drink since it is practically like candy.

02-13-2005 05:38:07 | More by BrewMaster
PatandDavid

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Wow, was this a taste sensation. Tip: make it your last beer of the night. I didn't and it was hard to keep focus on susequent beers because, like a jolly rancher candy, this one lasts and lasts. Anyway, had on tap at Redbones. Pour was of hazy goldenrod, with a frothy white head. I asked, will you be leaving lace in my glass, and the beer promptly replied: of course! and proceeded to do so. Aroma...well, what do you think? With a name like Florisgaarden apple, I detected....green apples. Apple peels. Jolly rancher apple candy. Over all of that there was also this powdery yeastiness that sort of lent a rememberance of things past that transported me away from the bar at 'bones, and immediately to an orchard in Europe somewhere. Ok, back to what you are expecting: Yes, the beer was all about the apples: apple juice, green apples with their sweet n tart thing going on. Only thing left was the finish, which surprised me with a little bit of nutmeg going on. Sort of a one-note beer: green apples, with some interesting powdery sensations going on: the yeast, the nutmeg. Not sure if I would get it again, unless the beer menu looked really really really boring at 'bones.

10-02-2004 14:24:26 | More by PatandDavid
Billolick

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Found this on tap at the Waterfront ale house in Brooklyn NY. Pours very cloudy, pale yellow with a pillowy white head, with good retention. Leaves nice lacing. Strong apple nose. This beer is not for everybody, its sweet, very fruity, strong apple flavoring. Its light, crisp, refreshing, tart in the finish. This is summer beer, and or dessert beer. Would be a nice beer for a toast, at a wedding, on a hot summer day , eating a fruity dessert.

09-28-2004 00:08:44 | More by Billolick
WVbeergeek

Appearance: Cloudy light golden apple sauce like in color thick frothy white head leaves nice Belgian lacing. Aroma: Candy like tart granny smith apple esters, mixed with the tartness is a mild spicing that I picked up in there. My one complaint is the beer is one dimensional with regards to malt and hop character those are overshadowed by the apple esters. Taste: Candy apple flavor subtle spicing tastes like really good apple sauce, not a complex Belgian ale I'm yearning for. Mouthfeel: Medium light refreshing airy carbonation. Drinkability: Dessert beer I found it interesting and inviting but by the end of one glass you will be ready to move on.

07-06-2004 19:37:30 | More by WVbeergeek
beergeek279

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

Served at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse in a goblet. The color was a hazy gold, with a slight wispy head. The smell was a very slight apple sweetness. The taste was extremely apply, sugary sweet, with very little of the actual wheat able to be detected behind it. Mouthfeel was a bit undercarbonated. As for drinkability, this was just too sweet to have too many of.

Well, one wasn't too bad, but by the end I felt like I was going to be on a sugar rush. This might be nice as a dessert beer, but hardly great otherwise.

07-02-2004 18:14:41 | More by beergeek279
brentk56

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy apple juice color with a foamy white head that laces well

Smell: Sweet apple cider with undertones of toffee and a touch of wheat

Taste: Starts out with a doughy Delicious apple flavor; after the swallow, there is a mild bitter aspect that appears but this is all about sweet apple juice flavors

Mouthfeel: Light body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Frankly a bit too sweet for me; rather than using the Delicious apple flavor, this beer would be helped immensely by using a tarter variety of apple juice

05-25-2007 03:54:17 | More by brentk56
BlindPig

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

A- Kind of clear yellow body with thin white head.
S- Huge apple with a light tart aroma to it.
T- First sip of this was light biting into a big juicy apple. It was a pretty simple beer.
M- Thin to medium body with low carbonation.
D- It was alright. Nothing stands out. I don't think I would buy one of these.

02-17-2007 21:49:42 | More by BlindPig
stephendr

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

330 ml. glass bottle- color of hazy lemonade , with a frothy white head - nose of jolly rancher sour apple , caramel , and yeast - taste of candy red apples, sour green apples, caramel medium body , sugar sweet – aftertaste of apple cider , and caramel

12-27-2006 07:00:12 | More by stephendr
MaltyGoodness

3.38/5  rDev 0%

330ml bottle

Pours a hazy, almost milky, pale straw color with small white head that fades. No real lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very bready with the smell of fresh apples.

Doughy and bready taste upfront leading into a very sweet fresh apple flavor. Finishes very sweet with a lingering combination of apple and dough. Kind of like drinking an un-baked apple pie.

Light body, zippy carbonation.

Drinkable to a degree, half of the 330ml bottle was plenty. While the flavor was enjoyable, the sweetness was a bit too much. I was hoping for the same puckering tartness that I enjoyed in the raspberry Floris.

12-27-2006 02:46:34 | More by MaltyGoodness
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

Foggy golden delicious apple peel that has a hint of red delicious apple peel when backlit. A more than appropriate color I'd say. The polished ivory cap is a quality affair and is one of the better fruit beer lids that I've seen in quite some time. It even leaves an impressive amount of lace.

I thought the nose was fantastic when I popped the cap. It's merely good when I concentrate on it for real. Apple smells quite a bit like cider, yet it has an additional aroma that identifies it clearly as beer. I can also appreciate a vanilla quality that is more vanilla ice cream than vanilla extract. All in all, I like it.

My first impression, when the first ounce hit my taste buds, was that the beer was going to be overly sweet. It is sweet, but not aggressively so. This is unquestionably apple beer and not a 'lambic' in the same vein as Lindemans. I like the fact that it tastes like real apples. No surprise since 'juice of apple' was used.

I really have no idea what spices were chosen. I can appreciate a hint of something, but identification isn't within my powers. The best thing about the beer is the (non-equal) combination of sweet, tart and lightly spicy. It's growing on me as I continue to drink and I think I'm now ready to assign a flavor score.

Thanks to all the sugar from the apple juice, the mouthfeel has a pleasing viscosity to it that all good fruit beers share. It's wonderfully smooth (and soft) without crossing over into sticky. I like the fact that the brewers throttled back the carbonation.

Floris Apple is a delicious, well-crafted fruit beer; never an easy target to hit. It seems that when they came to a design decision fork in the road, the brewers chose the path that I would have followed had I been in the lead. The price is a bit steep (I paid $3.99), but I can't think of too many apple beers that I've enjoyed more.

12-10-2006 21:01:45 | More by BuckeyeNation
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Guess I've gotten a sweet tooth lately. Just can't seem to get enough of these very sweet fruit beers. Lots of apple character going on, which makes it quite cider-like. The big differentiator is the malt based body that doesn't give off much of a malty flavor though. Tart, but not sour--the sweet apple flavors cover up the unique belgian character a bit too much. Decently carbonated (fizzy), but basically dies after the first minute. A pretty simple tasting brew. Solid, but intriguing enough for me to buy much of.

10-20-2006 15:10:29 | More by BEERchitect
scruffwhor

3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

The appearance is a great mix between a Belgian pale ale and a hefe-weizen beer. Hazy and yellow with good carbonation. PLnety of sweet cider witgh some pear and apricot undertones. I like it. This beer doesn't taset like beer. But I like the sweet cidery tones. The carbonation and the yeasty undertones give it some graininess. Thats all I need.

09-26-2006 06:03:43 | More by scruffwhor
edbeered

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

According to the label, this is a beer with spices and juice of apple. It pours a thick cloudy greenish yellow hue, with a small amount of lace on the glass. This smells like a tart green apple. The taste has the aforementioned tartness along with a creamy sweetness. If ever a beer tasted like apple crisp in a glass, this would be it. A 12 ounce bottle is just enough-any more is just too much sweetness for me.

07-10-2006 04:03:22 | More by edbeered
clvand0

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

This one pours a very cloudy orange color with a small head that dies fast and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma isn't too strong, but there are definite sour apple notes in there. The flavor is full of apple goodness. Only slightly sour. The flavor is all apple with not much going on otherwise. One dimensional, but I like that one dimension.

07-05-2006 00:08:05 | More by clvand0
Winter

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours an extremely cloudy pale yellow with a white head. Aroma consists of fresh apples, wheat malt and a hint of sourness. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a soft crispness. Sweet apple on the front. A touch sugary. Wheat malt taste quickly arrives to replace the apple flavor. The hop bitterness is practically non-existent. The finish has a wheaty, cereal grain quality to it. The spicing counteracts some of the apple sweetness slightly.

Despite the apple flavor, this isn't "cidery" at all. It is an enjoyable and refreshing summer beer, despite being a little on the sweeter side.

06-22-2006 04:14:19 | More by Winter
Skidz

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours out pale, cloudy straw and sits murky, pale gold in the glass with a good sized white head, fading to a faint skim holding to the sides.

Smells of apple jolly ranchers and thick, wheaty dough. Fragrantly similar to the Quaker instant oatmeal Apple Cinnamon flavor.

Tastes moderately sweet up front, dedacated sugary sweetness pushes the candy-like apple flavor right down your throat. Doughy wheaty malts can be found beneath the sugary sweetness of it all.

Creamy smooth in the mouth, mild carbonation and a medium body.

I'm not going to hate on this, because it beats out much of the fruitified beers out there. This ain't no homestate New Glarus apple ale, but it is quite tasty. Congrats to Huyghe for not just throwing in apple flavoring and going for the real deal, it really shows.

06-03-2006 02:35:42 | More by Skidz
GCBrewingCo

3.28/5  rDev -3%

The beer pours hazy pale yellow with a sizeable white head which falls to lace the glass. The aroma is Green Apple, you can almost smell the core. The flavor is sweet green apple, but not tart at all. The sweetness is powerful, and almost overdone. The finish is apple and gradually fades to dry. The body is light and the beer refreshing.

If this beer was a bit drier on the palate it would score better. It is akin to drinking carbonated alcoholic sweet apple juice.

330 ml bottle. Best before date of October 2004. The label says "White beer flavored with apple juice."

12-30-2003 01:08:23 | More by GCBrewingCo
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.73/5  rDev -48.8%

Candied apple sweetmess, a bit too cloying, unbalanced. there was also some spicyness right at the end, couldn't put my finger on it however, perhaps ginger? i don't know. I tired to like it, to no avail. An enjoayable beer to have, even though i didn't like it. Too sweet for me.

09-25-2003 00:16:40 | More by rastaman
marburg

2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours with an anemic head as do most of the "Floris" beers. Very light yellow in color, ressembling a Golden Delicious apple in some ways. Aromas of apple are quite strong, kind of fun and interesting. Flavors of apple and bubble gum. A very artificial flavor to it. Feels kind of slimy and flat. I really enjoy beers with a lot of flavor -- including sweet or fruit beers. But this one's flavor seems way too forced. It's just not natural, and you can tell. A wit/apple pairing doesn't seem all too forced, but this tastes like Hi-C's attempt at apple juice. I can appreciate the effort, and I enjoy some of the Floris beers -- but not this one. I'd drink it again if presented with it, but I won't buy it.

03-22-2003 20:28:38 | More by marburg