Daisy Cutter Pale Ale - Half Acre Beer Company

Daisy Cutter Pale AleDaisy Cutter Pale Ale

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-20-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Daisy Cutter Pale Ale Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -64%

1.55/5  rDev -62.8%

Had it on draft at a place with brisk craft beer sales. The first couple sips reminded me of Zombie Dust (which I love). Each subsequent sip revealed more and more pine resin flavor, until I found it to be unbearably astringent.

Tried it again to confirm my initial take, only from a can this time. Same impression. This beer is just not for me.

2.12/5  rDev -49.2%

2.24/5  rDev -46.3%

2.25/5  rDev -46%

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

Blind Beer #2 from Khazadum, with the text: "Number DOS! Hopefully you won't think about the vehicle this is delivered in before consumption." For those playing along at home, this is in a 16oz can.

Glassware recommendations say pint glass, so say hello to my Sam Adams Red Lobster Perfect Pint.

A - The appearance on this one isn't too hot to say the least. It's a really light yellow, almost straw color, and kind of takes on the look of diluted urine. It's fairly hazy, but still possible to see blurred images through it. Slow, steady streams of carbonation rise from the bottom and cling to the sides of the glass. The head on this actually isn't too bad, with about 1.5-fingers of creamy foam cresting the glass with above average retention. The lacing sticks momentarily to the sides before cascading downward. (4/5)

S - The smell on this is also a welcome surprise. It's nice and pleasant with a good amount of hops so I'm going to say it's an American IPA. The hops give off a pleasant pine aroma, but not overly resiny, along with some tropical fruits. I'm getting the usual grapefruit but also the more exotic pineapple and mango, as well as some floral tones. There is some malt here as well in the form of a little breadiness, but not a whole lot. I'm not saying it's a hop bomb by any stretch of the word, as the hops aren't bursting out of this, but maybe that this is a good dry-hopping schedule. (4/5)

T - With the smell reassuring me, I dive right into this beer. It seems I dove into the shallow end. I'm not sure what happened to this beer from the aroma to the taste, but I don't like it. Whereas the nose teased of juicy hops and a supportive malt backbone, I'm getting very little of that here. It's disappointing to say the least. I have to take a few sips to get really any distinguishable flavor out of this. It's hard to even write anything for this it's that bland...I guess there's some biscuity malts here... somewhere, and the hops there were so present in the nose are reduced to mere traces, but still retain some of that tropical feel. The end just tails off into nonexistence with some slight bitterness. Bland, lifeless, watery, disappointing. (2/5)

M - The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderately low carbonation. Not really crisp, nor lingering, just kind of there. Some additional carbonation wouldn't have hurt this beer. The finish has a lasting hop bitterness. (2.5/5)

D/O - Drinkability is low. This is a toughie to motivate myself to finish, and I am drawn back to Earth after the nose led me on. The taste, or lack thereof, shatters any hope of this beer. If given this beer, give it a few good sniffs, then promptly move on before the image is ruined for you. (2.5/5)

I'm thinking that this is an American IPA gone horribly wrong. Brewery is up for grabs, but at least it's not Surly!

The reveal: Half Acre's Daisy Cutter Pale Ale. WOW. Big surprise here for sure. This beer definitely had promise in the nose, but I wasn't feeling the flavor profile at all.

I feel like I just shot a blank and killed myself from the blast.

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

Review from notes taken on 4-7-11.

Pours a nice amber color into my Darkness snifter. Three full fingers of head. Lacing remains around my glass. Pine on the nose. Definitely cut grass. This is kind of weird.

This beer is very carbonated. A bit of hops comes through on the tongue. And the flavor profile stops there. This is incredibly bland. Basically it is just a gold seltzer water.

This is a pass for sure. I was excited to try this one even. I don't see what people see in this beer. Based on the smell you'd think it was a winner. I was foiled.

Daisy Cutter Pale Ale from Half Acre Beer Company