Daisy Cutter Pale Ale - Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-20-2009

A west coast Pale Ale chock-full of dank, aromatic hops. This one's a screamer, hoard it.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Daisy Cutter Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 731 | Hads: 3,025
1.62/5  rDev -61.2%

Had it on draft at a place with brisk craft beer sales. The first couple sips reminded me of Zombie Dust (which I love). Each subsequent sip revealed more and more pine resin flavor, until I found it to be unbearably astringent.

Tried it again to confirm my initial take, only from a can this time. Same impression. This beer is just not for me. (346 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

Blind Beer #2 from Khazadum, with the text: "Number DOS! Hopefully you won't think about the vehicle this is delivered in before consumption." For those playing along at home, this is in a 16oz can.

Glassware recommendations say pint glass, so say hello to my Sam Adams Red Lobster Perfect Pint.

A - The appearance on this one isn't too hot to say the least. It's a really light yellow, almost straw color, and kind of takes on the look of diluted urine. It's fairly hazy, but still possible to see blurred images through it. Slow, steady streams of carbonation rise from the bottom and cling to the sides of the glass. The head on this actually isn't too bad, with about 1.5-fingers of creamy foam cresting the glass with above average retention. The lacing sticks momentarily to the sides before cascading downward. (4/5)

S - The smell on this is also a welcome surprise. It's nice and pleasant with a good amount of hops so I'm going to say it's an American IPA. The hops give off a pleasant pine aroma, but not overly resiny, along with some tropical fruits. I'm getting the usual grapefruit but also the more exotic pineapple and mango, as well as some floral tones. There is some malt here as well in the form of a little breadiness, but not a whole lot. I'm not saying it's a hop bomb by any stretch of the word, as the hops aren't bursting out of this, but maybe that this is a good dry-hopping schedule. (4/5)

T - With the smell reassuring me, I dive right into this beer. It seems I dove into the shallow end. I'm not sure what happened to this beer from the aroma to the taste, but I don't like it. Whereas the nose teased of juicy hops and a supportive malt backbone, I'm getting very little of that here. It's disappointing to say the least. I have to take a few sips to get really any distinguishable flavor out of this. It's hard to even write anything for this it's that bland...I guess there's some biscuity malts here... somewhere, and the hops there were so present in the nose are reduced to mere traces, but still retain some of that tropical feel. The end just tails off into nonexistence with some slight bitterness. Bland, lifeless, watery, disappointing. (2/5)

M - The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderately low carbonation. Not really crisp, nor lingering, just kind of there. Some additional carbonation wouldn't have hurt this beer. The finish has a lasting hop bitterness. (2.5/5)

D/O - Drinkability is low. This is a toughie to motivate myself to finish, and I am drawn back to Earth after the nose led me on. The taste, or lack thereof, shatters any hope of this beer. If given this beer, give it a few good sniffs, then promptly move on before the image is ruined for you. (2.5/5)

I'm thinking that this is an American IPA gone horribly wrong. Brewery is up for grabs, but at least it's not Surly!

The reveal: Half Acre's Daisy Cutter Pale Ale. WOW. Big surprise here for sure. This beer definitely had promise in the nose, but I wasn't feeling the flavor profile at all.

I feel like I just shot a blank and killed myself from the blast. (3,082 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

Review from notes taken on 4-7-11.

Pours a nice amber color into my Darkness snifter. Three full fingers of head. Lacing remains around my glass. Pine on the nose. Definitely cut grass. This is kind of weird.

This beer is very carbonated. A bit of hops comes through on the tongue. And the flavor profile stops there. This is incredibly bland. Basically it is just a gold seltzer water.

This is a pass for sure. I was excited to try this one even. I don't see what people see in this beer. Based on the smell you'd think it was a winner. I was foiled. (554 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -32.5%

I can see why fans of heavy hops and pale ales like this beer, and I do like some IPAs like Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head and Goose Island, so I'm not a complete IPA hater.

This beer smells fantastic, but tastes one-dimensional. Bitter. Very bitter and nothing else. It's like they mixed water and "bitterness" together and didn't add anything else. I say "bitterness" and not "hops" because there are different hops out there with various flavor characteristics. This is one of few beers I actively avoid drinking. (514 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -32.5%

This beer is all smoke, no fire. Looks and smells great, tastes like a watery, beginner's homebrew. This would be a good beer to pound on hot days, but not at the price they sell it for. Half Acre does make some other pretty good beers, but skip this one if you like you beer with a hint of substance. (301 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -29.7%

Served in a pint glass for $5.50. Sampled 12/23/11, just after Half Acre made its debut in the SEPA market.

A: Arrives with 2 fingers of foamy head with above average retention that leaves a nice coating of lace on the glass as it recedes. A sudsy and soapy film remain. The body is murky orange-brown in color with medium saturation yet very pale. Not exactly a good looking beer.

S: The hops have an herbal quality with an orange influence. There is a sturdy malt backdrop of caramel plus a hard to describe nuttiness, which is even more noticeable on the palate.

T:I'm not so sure what the excitement is that surrounds this brew. Ho-hum at best and rather forgettable.

M: The mouthfeel is the best quality of the beer. Crisp, light and well carbonated with plenty of tongue-scrubbing bubbles. Starts fairly dry and finishes drier.

O: I doubt a distributor would enter a market with a perishable product with questionable freshness, but I can't even imagine this beer was at it's peak. This beer was just tapped minutes before my serving...AND the keg basically came off of the truck. Sooo...I guess I'll have to revisit this down the road. (1,148 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

Two cans were sent to me as extras by AleWatcher. I split the most recent one with Ryan011235.

A- This beer is a nice looking one. Using my Perfect Pint Im getting a nice big, sticky white head with superb retention and lacing spackling the glass. The shape of the glass gives it a nice deep, hazy orange that gradates to a light gold.

S- I wanna say that this beer must get its name from the smell. Only that the name might be a bit magnanimous. It smells like fresh cut weeds, dandelions, wild onions, pine and a touch of cracker.
Picture yourself as a kid again, walking down the banks of a creek with a stick whacking down big stalks of thistles and briers and what have you. The resulting gore from the thick stalked overgrowth gets all over your hands and legs. You get back home smelling like a walking grass stain, or like you have been drinking Daisy Cutter.

T- This one goes beyond a standard pale ale. I think the only reason they call it an APA might be because its under 6%. Its really bitter and hoppy. A lot more of that wild, cut down weeds, wild onions and pollen. Lots of Summit hops kinda stuff. I would like to see MUCH more balance. Give me at least some malts here.

M- As Ryan noted, and I concur, the carbonation is a touch too high. Its a pretty sharp feeling beer.

D- Despite some of the problems I have with this beer I still found it pretty easy to drink. Eh, a really thoughtful extra and I was stoked to receive it, its just not what I expected. (1,481 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

Courtesy of a trade with Skye1024, thanks!
Poured from a 1 pt can into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange color which turns darker as the bubbles rise to the surface and the beer is fully poured. The head rises to about a fingers worth, which diminishes significantly after a minute, but the last bit of head remains throughout. A good bit of lacing hugs the glass.

Smell: Hops dominate the smell. I also get the smell of pine, grass clippings, some citrus, grapefruit.

Taste: Hops again dominate the taste up front. Fairly bitter, not overwhelming though. Some citrus in the middle, oranges and grapefruit. Finishes bitter as well.

Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated, bubble tickle the tongue, but a light body. Overall, I like the carbonation, but the body of the beer is lacking depth

Overall: For me, this beer needs more than just hops, and hops is all I get from this beer. One can of this beer is all the bitterness I can handle tonight. (962 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into my pint glass. this beer pours a hazy straw color with a decent white head. the smell is powerful and piney and citrusy. the taste is totally lacking. there is almost now flavor with just a little bitterness at the end. the moutfeel is light and drinkability is only so so due to the lack of flavor. I went into this one with high expectations due to the reputation that this beer carries and was totally let down. its an ok beer, but if it ever made its way to ma i would likely not by any. (519 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

I have no idea how this beer is rated so high. Maybe the keg I had it from was bad. I drank two sips and have it to my friend, the beer disposal.

Single finger head on a hazy copper with golden hues body. Aroma is weak with light malts more on the pale and grainy side with some citrus and earthy notes. The flavor very bland with weak malt and hop content. Earthy and metallic notes dominate. Too carbonated and medium body. The beer just wasn't good in any way. (464 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

16oz can poured into an imperial pint glass. No canning information to be found.

Pours a golden copper with a huge fluffy white head that quickly fades to a thin layer. That layer does last for quite awhile.

Aroma is some citrus hops with some bread and caramel in the background. Smell is well balanced, nothing really jumps off the page.

The taste is a little heavy on the bread and grains. Some citrus hops provide a slightly bitter bite, but this one is on the malty side.

The mouthfeel isn't particularly thick but is just right for the style. Carbonation is very high, adding a nice aspect to the feel. Overall this was a decent pale ale but I've had others locally that are just as good so I probably won't make an effort to find any more of this one. But if it were available locally, I could see myself picking it up again. (836 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22%

16oz can thanks to SpdKilz, appreciate it. Pours a mostly clear yellow, spotty swiss cheese head. Smells a little bit hoppy but not much else. Taste is hops but feels like it might be a little over the hill. Not bad at all just feels a bit faded. the low abv and light body make it extremely easy to drink. I'd like to revisit this again with a known fresh sample to see how it fares. (384 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

(16oz can courtesy of jcnd9803!) Pours hazy copper with 2 finger off-white head. Getting some aroma of spice/pepper, cardboard, unripened melon, and perhaps some lemon. Taste has some bread/biscuit from the malt. Not very sweet and mildly bitter. Thin bodied and somewhat watery. Balanced finish between the bready malt and hop bitterness. Not a great beer, but this would be a nice session beer and I think it would grow on me as the sesssion progressed. (455 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

I think i got an old can. cant find a date but its just very dull and watered down. Barely any hop character and the malts actually star. But still not anything special. Hoping i get the chance to try this fresh as i know its going to be great! (245 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.6%

On tap at Hunt Club 1/14/11...poured a pale and slightly cloudy yellow with an ok head...aroma not really that impressive, not much to it, nothing that really stands out. There's something objectionable on the tongue...I've been drinking A-class exceptionally balanced beers all night and there is something about this one that offends. Oh, I'm so sorry to have a not great review on a local brand, I even rated it a little bit higher for proximity to my house...sorry guys, this is quaffable but just isn't that solid. (519 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

Sort of excited -- I was just thinking that with all the local talk about this brewery, I've never been able to try the beers. Lo and behold, a local just received some 1 pint, 4 pack cans. Picked the Daisy Cutter, as that seems to be the flagship.

A -- Hazy, deep gold with a sudsy, thick, off-white head.

S -- Citrus and piny hops in a nice balance, some resiny tar notes back.

T -- Initial hit of resiny hops -- near tar-like. Blends into mild biscuit malt that creates a mellow backbone, but bitterness from hops quickly takes over to finish the swallow. Fruity citrus characters balance in the background with the biscuit malt, but the resin and bitterness are king. Aftertaste is bitter resin.

M -- Light to light medium body with a crisp, dry mouthfeel.

O -- If someone is specifically looking for a bitter hop kick, this beer is for them. Personally, I like hops, but the resin character in this one would only get me through one glass -- and maybe not even that. Harsh is an easy word to apply here, but it doesn't quite hit that stage, though it might in a second pint. (1,084 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

Pint can poured into a DFH signature glass. No dating that I can find so it's hard to say how old this is, that being said I was not impressed.

Pours a nice golden color with an inch of white head which left some nice lacing.

Smell and taste are heavy on grassy, vegetal, earthy hops. Slight floral and pine character with mininal citrus and a fair amount of bitterness that was pleasing but not necessarily well integrated into the overall profile of the beer. Pale malts give some balance but don't bring much sweetness. A pretty clean finish with a nice crisp mouthfeel and good carbonation.

An easy drinking pale ale but not impressive. I had pretty high hopes for this beer but found it to be an average representation of the style. An ok beer but not something I will seek out in the future especially considering how difficult it is to find. (851 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fresh can poured into a plastic glass. Looks to have a sticky white lacing. Just a bit Cloudy with dark golden color and lots of bubbles. Aroma is typical IPA. Hop profile is a bit grassy with pine and a hint of citrus. Bready malt. The malt aroma is a nice balance to the hops. Taste is nearly identical to the aroma. Hoppy first with a malty body and finishes pretty quickly with a bit of a bitter, resins finish. High carbonation. Low alcohol presence. Overall a solid IPA but nothing jumps out with this beer. (513 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%

On-tap at Hackney's Printers Row in Chicago. [Amended after trying it from the can on 1 Feb 2012.]

Orangey yellow, a bit of haze. Brought to me poured to the brim, so don't know about the head. Great lacing. [From the can, it's got a massive fluffy head, great retention, and amazing lacing. Appearance is really top-notch.]

Smell is a mix of sharp citrus hops (grapefruit), and milder earthy and resinous hops. Decent light malt backing, supporting but not really providing any obvious smells.

Taste is an odd half-bitter, like it's part IPA and part light malty ale. Interesting, but it's not bowling me over. The hops are once again dominated by grapefruit. Long bitter finish. [Wish I got more of something in the flavor other than bitter. There's not enough non-bitter hop flavor, and the malts aren't a strong enough supporting cast.]

Medium-light body, good carbonation. Long finish.

This beer is curious, but not super impressive. I'm wondering what everyone else finds so amazing about it, as it's not doing it for me. It's like half an IPA, but that IPA part is only okay, and the other half is pretty bland. Some grapefruit hops, not a whole lot else. (1,167 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Undated can at 40 degrees into SA lager glass
Aroma of pine
Head large (5 cm), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing to broken 3 mm layer
Lacing poor – small islands and short archipelagos of tiny to small bubbles
Body yellow, chill haze
Flavor bitter from hops, weak hop flavor; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, aroma 3.25, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.4375
Very weak tasting pale ale with good hop bitterness. Guess I was hoping for more of an IPA. (526 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a pint can into a Libbey craft pint glass.

A: Murky dark orange with a protruding, rocky white head. Sticky lacing all around the glass, with the head retaining long after the pour.

S: Nose is juicy and floral, with some citrus elements but mainly a grassy, floral hop aroma. Smells nice.

T: Full-on floral hop invades the palate, leaving a mild wave of grassy bitterness. Faint biscuity malt underneath. Earthy leaf taste in the finish. Somewhat watery.

M: Medium-bodied.

O: Very grassy/floral rather than citrusy/piney. Reading the other reviews, I see a lot of mentions of strong citrus notes in the nose and taste, but I don't really get that (and I've had DC many times, on-tap and in the can). Still decent. (730 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

If you are a fan of hops, this is an excellent beer. Hops do not just dominate, they overwhelm. This brew really should have been labeled an IPA as it is far hoppier than most IPA's. If you favor more balanced beers, you probably will not like this beer even though it is well made. (282 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.2%

Golden straw body with just enough haze to cloudy things up a bit. Bone white head stands three fingers tall. Retention is decent a rather slim cap is left atop. Gobs of scattered lacing cling to the glass.

The aroma is pleasant but underwhelming. Bright citrus flavors are somewhat muted by a grassy hop aroma. I am all for complexity in both flavor and aroma but sometimes simplicity is golden. Light bready malt beneath, subtle but solid backbone.

The flavor is line with the nose though an improvement. The citrus flavors (grapefruit, orange and a bit of lemon) sit strong on the tongue. A grassy astringent hop aroma follows and is much less pleasant. Light pale malt give a slight cracker flavor. The simplicity of the malt bill is appreciated.

Light to medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Smooth texture with a moderate finish.

I want to like this beer much more than I do. It certainly has potential but it just is not exciting me. While not being exciting, it is relatively easy to drink. Decent APA. (1,023 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at MacGrady's in Bethlhem, PA. Served in a pint glass. No head really, no lacing to speak of. Good color so it gets a 3 for appearance.

S - Not too much. Some citrus, maybe a hint of pine.

T - Good citrus taste, finishes with water. It's good for a pale. For 5.2% it's got good flavor. Definitely prefer over SNPA. However, not even close to approaching the same league as Zombie Dust.

M - Nice carbonation that gets it across the tongue and wakes up the palate, which you need with a moderate style such as a pale ale. Pretty smooth.

O - It's a good pale. It's not my usual style, but I've heard good things about this beer so when I saw it on tap I figured I'd try it. Wouldn't order it again, but if you like pales, or just aren't a hop head, go for it. That said, get Zombie Dust if you can, because it's in a different league of APAs. (850 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy honey with a quarter inch foamy head. Foamy lacing. Mild fruit on the nose. The taste is mildly of fruit, maybe some mango? A bitter finish. This beer felt weak to me, with an odd seltzer-like mouthfeel. A decent ale, but nothing special considering the high ratings. One I could take or leave in the future. (324 characters)

Daisy Cutter Pale Ale from Half Acre Beer Company