Daisy Cutter Pale Ale - Half Acre Beer Company

Daisy Cutter Pale AleDaisy Cutter Pale Ale

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-20-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Daisy Cutter Pale Ale Alström Bros
waldoiverson

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

16 oz can into US Pint

A: slightly cloudy and somewhere between golden and copper, robust fluffy head that left solid lacing

S: bready malt evenly mixed with a dark citrus and pine aroma

T: sweet and bitter, citrus oils, slightly bready and

M: a small tang from the carbonation, smooth and a little dry/resinous on the backend

O: easy drinking, on-point for the style

06-03-2011 22:26:24 | More by waldoiverson
FosterJM

539th review on BA
Can to Pint
16 oz Tallboy

Thanks to Cadaughtery for this one!

App- A very vibrant orange column in the center with a pale yellow outside. A one finger head that quickly recedes and doesnt leave behind a lot of lace.

Smell- I sat and smelled this for a good minute and a half before taking a sip. It was citrusy, floral, aromatic with a little hops and spice. Just smelled great.

Taste- Taste followed the nose and was excellent. It was lush, rich, tastefully crafted, wet, balanced and just plain good. The hops were muted the malts were good.

Mouth- Light bodied bordering on medium and the carbonation level was quite high. Left a nice bitter feeling on the tounge.

Drink- Plain and simple, I want more. I am suprised this is not higher rated. It was super tasty and good.

06-03-2011 04:52:48 | More by FosterJM
OakedCanuck

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

16oz can poured into pint glass. Thanks to cjacobsen for this.

A - Pours a nice amber to yellow. Good head formation, large, fluffy. Clear and bubbly.

S - Strong grasses, pine, some oranges and lemons

T - Very bitter! I did not pick up very much 'juicy citrus' hops, it was all bittering. Grass, pine, straw. I did get some lemons and a touch of yeast. Almost no malt backbone; and I expected a touch of sweetness, even a pinch, but nothing.

M - Light, crisp and dry as hell

O - A good pale ale, but probably should be a classified as an IPA! Perfect summer beer, wish I had more...

06-01-2011 21:08:53 | More by OakedCanuck
Mosley1212

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Big thanks to Bay01 for this awesome extra in a recent trade. Poured from the can into my DFH Snifter.

A--Poured a hazy pale orange. There was a 3" white mammoth fluffy head. Lot of retention throughout.

S--Surprisingly hoppy. This was not what I was expecting. Tiny bit of malt on the backend. Also, there's a grassy smell that is surprisingly sweet.

T--Fresh grass, pine cones, and a touch of citrus.

M--Light-bodied, bit of carbonation, and a slight watery feel.

O--This is the most hoppy pale ale I have ever had. That said, it doesn't live up to what I was hoping for. This is a good (not great) example of the style.

05-31-2011 19:12:55 | More by Mosley1212
Another6Pack

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

I've been anxious to get a chance to try this one for quite a while, and I have high expectations.

Appearance is cloudy orange with a nice big foamy head with big bubbles. Head receded fairly quickly and little lacing is present. Nose is fantastic for an APA - big, BIG hop nose with plenty of citrus and pine.

Taste is very good - big hop flavor in this one compared to other APAs I've tried. Piney, resinous, and a little abrasive (no pun intended, but I could have spelled that with a capital "A" and not been too far off). Plenty of carb to blast the taste buds and to make sure you know you're at a hop party.

No letdown here...this one is worthy of its current high rating on Ba.

05-29-2011 17:44:59 | More by Another6Pack
Preismj

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

a: nice murky orange yellow. Tremendous head with moderate retention and fantastic looking sticky lacing. yum.

s: a lot of smell coming off of this one for a pale ale at just over 5%. light hop characteristic with a wonderful fruit and citrus. Doesn't smell overly bitter...a bit gummy. Yum.

t: mmm, definitely pale ale...taste is big and perfect for what it is. musty and dank. very light crisp floral flavor up front with a light hop and citrus note in the mid. Finishes with a light sweetness that is leaving my mouth waiting for more. Gummy flavor on this one. I love it.

m: a little thin for me, considering how much head there was, this isn't very carbonated. nice and silky smooth. Strikes me as a good summer brew so I wish there was a little more fizz to it to quench my thirst on a hot day.

o: Nice light and crisp. This one is a good way to go when you're just looking for either a good way to start the night, or a peaceful way to end it. It is very mellow for sure, and that is what I like most about it. It could use a bit more fizz to make it more universal (could really fit any mood then), but as is...it is more of a special time kinda beer...a good way to wind down the ESPECIALLY stressful days.

05-29-2011 01:05:17 | More by Preismj
mobud

Delaware

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Served in SA glass.

A- Cloudy orange with a fizzy white head that remains strong thru sample.

S- Citrus hop notes with a light pine smell underneath. Way hoppier than I would have expected from a APA.

T- Surprisingly even beer with the strong hop presence blended nicely with a smooth malt base. The bitterness from the hops stay strong and are more towards the pine rather than the citrus.

M- Really nice feel. Medium feel with a creamy touch on the back-end.

O- A fine beer that I morn the fact that I can not get it anywhere but Chicago. Drank it on tap during my last visit and brought several cans home to relive the joy. More of an IPA than APA, that danky hop taste drew me in and held me. Would gladly pay the price if it were to arrive locally (by that I mean Philadelphia).

05-27-2011 00:18:35 | More by mobud
OnThenIn

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

A: The beer poured with a stupid amount of head that did not want to dissipate, being as thick as four fingers large. The body was a darker orange/copper color, but very clear. Overall, it looked attractive, but I am having some problems not getting stupidly large head from can pours.

S: The aroma is just crazy hops and citrus fruits with a hint of grapefruit, woodsy pine, and it just smells like a hop pellet.

T: The beer has a tiny bit of sweetness to balance out the hops, but realistically it would be difficult to balance this level of bitterness. There is a little bit of a citrus flavor and a hint of grapefruit. I think that a fresher sample would have really helped with the fruity and hop flavor, rather than the dominant bitter and grassy flavor that was present.

M: The body is thin to medium thickness, with what would have been great carbonation if it hadn't been for the stupidly strong pour.

D: The beer is surprisingly drinkable, and the hop assault is what I would expect from an IPA rather than a pale ale.

05-25-2011 21:55:19 | More by OnThenIn
Dope

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Nice amber color with quite a nice head. Minimal lacing.

S: Very citrusy, lots of grapefruit, lemons, oranges. Loved the aroma, you could smell it as soon as I opened it up.

T: Nice and smooth. Minimal bitterness. Not much malt but the taste in general is kept quite mild so it works.

M: Very light and crisp.

O: While I don't think this beer lived up to the hype it was quite good. Well balanced and very mild - perfect lawnmower beer.

05-24-2011 05:13:03 | More by Dope
buffs9

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Hazy orange with a fluffy head. Nice retention.

S - Citrus, floral hops dominate. I love the smell of this beer.

T - Pretty hoppy for a pale ale. Same citrus hops. Very crisp and refreshing. Was hoping for more citrus after the nose was so great.

M - Light and crisp. Good carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. Could see putting down 6 of these, easy.

If it were local I'd buy some from time to time, but won't go through the hassle of trading for it.

05-24-2011 02:38:01 | More by buffs9
Alpar

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Drank a few of these over the weekend.

A: Wonderful cloudy and I think unfiltered there are a lot of "floaties" in here along with a perfect level of carbonation. This beer just looks mouth watering!

S: Very citrusy and floral.

T: BAM! as Emerald would say, Wonderful hop character really fresh and refreshing, I can't pinpoint the taste I was getting but I loved it!

O: This was a great surprise to me. I am normally not too big on IPAs and DIPAs but this beer just really opened my eyes to the style and its also the perfect lawn mowing beer.

05-23-2011 19:43:10 | More by Alpar
1Adam12

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

Bought a 4 pack this weekend when I went to Chicago. Pours a golden murky brownish orange, small fluffy head with decent lacing. Smelled very citrusy and hoppy out of the can, but lost a bit of the nose once it was in the glass. Citrusy with nicely balanced hops, slightly bitter finish and aftertaste. Nice mouthfeel, light and carbonated. After being told by numerous people that I "had to pick this up" while in Chicago, I just can't see what all the hype was about. It's a nice pale ale, but I don't think it was worth the price or the hype.

05-23-2011 15:21:47 | More by 1Adam12
CliffBrake

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Hazy light amber color with good fluffy white head and moderate lacing.

The second the can is slightly cracked open, this beer fills the room with aromatic hops - amazing. Citrus, spice and a bit of pine. Great hop aroma.

The hops are all there in the flavor too. A hophead lovers delight....but the malt is missing. The flavor seems flat and out of balance. A bit of bready or caramel malt flavor with a touch of sweetness would make a big difference.

Mouthfeel is thin, lacking body. I really want to like this beer. And I enjoy hops as much as anyone. But with a hop profile like this, maybe this beer needs to be an IPA, with a stronger malt backbone. Perhaps the limit of what can be done with an APA has been reached with this beer.

Still, a refreshing beer that I would try on occasion if it were available.

05-21-2011 12:16:43 | More by CliffBrake
nhindian

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

Blind Beer #2 from Khazadum, with the text: "Number DOS! Hopefully you won't think about the vehicle this is delivered in before consumption." For those playing along at home, this is in a 16oz can.

Glassware recommendations say pint glass, so say hello to my Sam Adams Red Lobster Perfect Pint.

A - The appearance on this one isn't too hot to say the least. It's a really light yellow, almost straw color, and kind of takes on the look of diluted urine. It's fairly hazy, but still possible to see blurred images through it. Slow, steady streams of carbonation rise from the bottom and cling to the sides of the glass. The head on this actually isn't too bad, with about 1.5-fingers of creamy foam cresting the glass with above average retention. The lacing sticks momentarily to the sides before cascading downward. (4/5)

S - The smell on this is also a welcome surprise. It's nice and pleasant with a good amount of hops so I'm going to say it's an American IPA. The hops give off a pleasant pine aroma, but not overly resiny, along with some tropical fruits. I'm getting the usual grapefruit but also the more exotic pineapple and mango, as well as some floral tones. There is some malt here as well in the form of a little breadiness, but not a whole lot. I'm not saying it's a hop bomb by any stretch of the word, as the hops aren't bursting out of this, but maybe that this is a good dry-hopping schedule. (4/5)

T - With the smell reassuring me, I dive right into this beer. It seems I dove into the shallow end. I'm not sure what happened to this beer from the aroma to the taste, but I don't like it. Whereas the nose teased of juicy hops and a supportive malt backbone, I'm getting very little of that here. It's disappointing to say the least. I have to take a few sips to get really any distinguishable flavor out of this. It's hard to even write anything for this it's that bland...I guess there's some biscuity malts here... somewhere, and the hops there were so present in the nose are reduced to mere traces, but still retain some of that tropical feel. The end just tails off into nonexistence with some slight bitterness. Bland, lifeless, watery, disappointing. (2/5)

M - The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderately low carbonation. Not really crisp, nor lingering, just kind of there. Some additional carbonation wouldn't have hurt this beer. The finish has a lasting hop bitterness. (2.5/5)

D/O - Drinkability is low. This is a toughie to motivate myself to finish, and I am drawn back to Earth after the nose led me on. The taste, or lack thereof, shatters any hope of this beer. If given this beer, give it a few good sniffs, then promptly move on before the image is ruined for you. (2.5/5)

I'm thinking that this is an American IPA gone horribly wrong. Brewery is up for grabs, but at least it's not Surly!

The reveal: Half Acre's Daisy Cutter Pale Ale. WOW. Big surprise here for sure. This beer definitely had promise in the nose, but I wasn't feeling the flavor profile at all.

I feel like I just shot a blank and killed myself from the blast.

05-20-2011 07:03:24 | More by nhindian
Bennettrox

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Big thanks Hawks10 for the can!

A - Beautiful orange and amber pour. The head, oh my the head. Poured into a Duvel tulip you couldn't ask for a better looking APA. The lacing was as sticky as I've seen and accented on the glass like a gem.

S - Hob bomb incoming! Citrus, grapefruit, pine, and hops hops hops!

T - Oh man the bitterness, I love it! A hop showcase with flavors following the nose of citrus, pine, grass, and a big nod to grapefruit.

M - Sticky, crisp, refreshing, and just right on.

O - This can was built for the summer and to date is the best APA I've had. Love it!

05-19-2011 18:56:40 | More by Bennettrox
biggred1

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Hazy, strawberry blonde with a big soapy head of bone colored foam that lasts a while and leaves scraps of fine lace on the glass. Dank smelling hop notes hit me in the face as soon as I cracked the can open. Citrus, pine tar and grapefruit rind come to mind. Delicious and hoppy with a trim pale malt backbone to just balance. Medium bodied with scrubbing carbonation and a hop oily finish. Daisy Cutter delivers in a big way for a session beer, big, brash hop flavor with a sessionable abv. Great beer.

05-18-2011 00:38:21 | More by biggred1
mmmmmbeeer

Georgia

16 Oz can poured into tulip

A- Nice golden color with a moderate doughy head

S - Citrus, a bit of pine

T - Tastes like a solid IPA to me. Get plenty of citrusy grapefruit with a solid malt backbone. Very enjoyable.

M - Carbonation is perfect for the flavor profile.

O - At 5.2ABV this is a perfect session beer....you can throw a few back and not sacrifice on flavor. If I lived in the area, this would be a staple in my fridge

05-17-2011 21:24:06 | More by mmmmmbeeer
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

16 oz can poured into a nonic. Thanks Jeff.

Pours a light, relatively clear honey straw color with a massive, rocky, foam off white head. Thick clumps of lacing cover the glass and persist as a cap throughout the beer. Aroma is heavy on pale and bready malts with strong lemon citrus hops in the finish. Bready and biscuit dominate the body before a subtle lemon zest and rind hop flavor blends into the finish. This is quickly subsumed by a dry malt and grain takes over and lingers throughout the remainder. Creamy bodied with soft carbonation. Bottle or can I've never understood the love for this beer. Pleasant and slightly above average but a lot of locals do this just as well and this isn't remotely close to Edward or Hoppy Birthday.

05-15-2011 18:03:22 | More by yourefragile
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

16oz can poured into Captain Lawrence pint glass

A: Shows some heaving lacing and a healthy white head on top. Bright copper amber in color.

S: citrus , pine , pale malt and lemon

T: Crisp refreshing pale ale with lots of aroma hops. Very well balanced light American Pale Ale here. Slight dry twang on the end but finishes just as crisp as it starts out.

M: Medium body for style, high carbonation

O: This is a quality APA. Definitely recommended to others

05-14-2011 20:15:47 | More by alpinebryant
Sideswipe

4.43/5  rDev +6%

16oz can compliments of AleWatcher. Thanks Jeff!

Poured into my Duvel tulip. A hard pour results in four fingers of fluffy white foam. The head recedes leaving a white coaster atop the hazy amber colored beer. The aroma is of citrusy hops and biscuity malt. Smells great! The taste showcases the hop bill with notes of orange and grapefruit predominating. A pale malt backbone provides the perfect backdrop to the bitter hop forward character of this APA. The feel is light and crisp with a prickly level of carbonation which is perfect for the style. Overall this is a very tasty, overly hoppy pale ale that is a joy to drink. Super refreshing. This would be great on a hot summer day and would be in my regular rotation if it was available in SoCal. Recommended!

05-14-2011 05:16:10 | More by Sideswipe
SkyBlueWaters

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

16oz can into a Fat Tire snifter.

A: What a pretty beer! (aren't they all) Burnt orange with a cumulonimbus head that hung around quite a while. Medium lacing and a touch of bubbles.

S: Citrus hop but not the usual suspects. A floral lemon-ish scent as opposed to the strong grapefruit you often get. Plenty of sweet malt as well.

T: Pretty much follows the smell. No surprised here. Only mildly bitter, the hops are balanced nicely by the malt. Smooth. Great.

M: Medium body. Sounds generic and it probably is but that's what it is, nothing jumps out, which is why it's so good. Light carbonation. A real easy beer to finish and finish and finish...

O: Man, a quick favorite. A soon to be summertime staple. What could make a man want to crack open a beer at 11:30am? This stuff.

05-12-2011 17:32:16 | More by SkyBlueWaters
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewed on 4.7.11

16oz can poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a pale orange with a thick, bubbly white head. Leaves good lacing on the glass.

S- Pine and lemons.

T- Taste like it smells, but nicely balanced.

D- Very balanced, light and good carbonation.

O- I really enjoyed this one. I can't wait for more.

05-12-2011 02:16:10 | More by HuskyinPDX
birderbeerer

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Dark golden with a big frothy white head and good lacing.

Huge hop smell. Juicy with a decent amount of pine. A clean citrus/flowery hop scent. Very enticing.

Taste does not follow the aroma. The taste is heavier on grass and there is a smoky flavor too. None of the juiciness from the scent. Disappointing. Still good, but good because it's interesting not because it's amazing.

05-12-2011 02:02:03 | More by birderbeerer
warnerry

4.43/5  rDev +6%

A relatively slow pour yields more than two fingers of cloud-like head with great retention. Beautiful orange/brown with a lot of slow rising carbonation.

Relatively modest aroma of pine and citrus.

Taste starts with a nice hop bite, without being overpowering. Taste is similar to smell, mostly citrus and pine hops. Not much malt, but enough to provide some balance.

Has a light/medium mouthfeel with some nice lingering bitterness.

Overall, one of the best APAs I've had. Very easy drinking. Crisop and refreshing.

05-11-2011 02:56:36 | More by warnerry
thedominator

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

a big thanks to tjburgess for this one. A 16 oz tallboy can poured into a samuel adams perfect pint.

A: pours a clear golden straw color, with a 2 finger head. looks very good.

S: hops, light pine, flowery, light biscuit, and fresh melon. awesome

T: mild bitterness, fresh hops, biscuity malt, and a slight citrus zest. awesome again

M: a little thin, perfect carbonation

O: i think this is the best american pale ale i have ever tasted. i could easily crush 6 or 7 if these in a session.

05-11-2011 00:15:59 | More by thedominator