Daisy Cutter Pale Ale - Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-20-2009

A west coast Pale Ale chock-full of dank, aromatic hops. This one's a screamer, hoard it.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Daisy Cutter Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,928 | Reviews: 746
3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

I think i got an old can. cant find a date but its just very dull and watered down. Barely any hop character and the malts actually star. But still not anything special. Hoping i get the chance to try this fresh as i know its going to be great!

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a can at least 2 months old. Great nose and even better taste. Still hoppy and almost a perfect malt balance. Will seek out again.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From can. First serving I poured into glass while my second serving I drank from can. I prefer drinking from the can.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Gage in the Loop, into a tulip

A: pale golden peach, thin 1 finger head
S: clean grassy piney bitterness, pale bready malts
T: like the nose, with a little more dankness developing around the grassy hops and maybe a touch more citrusy grapefruit; stays fairly dry throughout.
M: crisp, dry, a little more chewy than most pales, great bitterness that tends to keep me from trying to get too cozy or comfortable.

Overall: I always pick up some of this when I'm in range. Distinctive taste profile that really hits some of my favorite notes.

1.93/5  rDev -53.7%

Weak flavor. Makes no statement

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a bona fide Chicago favorite. Hop forward APA with citrus/floral notes and a solid malt backbone. Great bitter finish that lingers on the tastebuds. One of my ’go to’ beers.

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can, date on the case was 12/9/2014 If I recall. Fresh

A: Hazy gold. Tons of sticky lacing. Excellent retention.

S: Smells like a great hop forward pale. Piney, grassy, citrusy but with a nice light toasty malt backbone.

T: Follows the nose, but even better. A fantastic pale ale that benefits from a generous dry hop.

M: Good carbonation. Low alcohol keeps this thing clean, no heat.

O: A Chicago staple and for good reason. One of my favorite pale ales. Outstanding beer.

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

Drink local. Poured at Poor Phil's, Oak Park, IL.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Juicy and balanced to the t. Had a can from high fives owner.

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16oz. can into a Sam Adams glass.

A- Pours a light amber with a two finger white head, great clarity.

S- Great aroma here that reminded me a tad of Zombie Dust but to a lesser degree. Has that sort of Juicy Fruit gum hop aroma with some dankness. Slight toasted malts coming through.

T- The aroma gave me a bit of Zombie Dust but the flavor doesn't really. More of a straight forward citrus and pine pale ale. Pine mostly and some citrus peel with a light toasted malt note. Finishes with a medium bitterness.

M- Light, very easy to drink.

O- Got this as an extra in a quick IP trade and really appreciate the chance to try it. This is definitely a great pale ale an is one of the best smelling pales I've had. Really enjoyed the drinkablity of it. If I lived in their distribution I would certainly have this in my rotation. I thought maybe there was a touch of Citra in here given I think it smells a bit like Zombie Dust but all info online seems to say it's Warrior, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Columbus. Maybe the combo of Centennial and Amarillo and Simcoe is giving me that Juicy Friut hop aroma. Guess I'm not getting any better at the identifying hop thing.

1.62/5  rDev -61.2%

Had it on draft at a place with brisk craft beer sales. The first couple sips reminded me of Zombie Dust (which I love). Each subsequent sip revealed more and more pine resin flavor, until I found it to be unbearably astringent.

Tried it again to confirm my initial take, only from a can this time. Same impression. This beer is just not for me.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very earthy and hoppy IPA.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Not sure if it was just the can I had, but this one had a sour taste. I was expecting a hoptacular blow out but it didn't deliver

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a tulip

A. Pours a hazy amber color with a white foamy 2 finger head.

S. Sweet pumpernickel bread malt aroma. Piney and floral hop character.

T. Nice sweet malt character. Piney hop taste with some bitterness. Finishes very clean. Borderline sessionable.

M. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation that lingers.

O. A nice pale ale from half acre. Nothing really special but nothing bad at all. Very easy to drink. A safe bet for an always satisfying beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Very good, balanced brew that was an extra I received on a trade.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

love my Chicago Great Pale Ale.. cans I have right now were canned 12/4!

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Tasted about 45 days after brewing.

A - Great looking APA. Fine white head pours two fingers high with nice retention and lace. Clear, bright amber body.

S - Grassy, semi-sweet nose. Grapefruit backend.

T - Hemp, bready wheat, floral pollen, bitter beeswax.

M - Light body with light carbonation. A little dead in the center.

O - Not bad, but probably would have been a lot better fresh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

December 3, 2014

16 oz can, weizen glass

A – Dark straw to light gold, fairly clear with a lot of tiny bubbles cascading up towards a pure white foamy head. High retention.

S – Grapefruit and grass, a bit of herbal/medicinal (ok, weed) aroma. Fairly light, doughy grain bill. Hop aroma is showcased, big time.

T – Grapefruit is more mild than the aroma, a bit more grass in the flavor profle. The herbal component is more of a root here. Again, doughy, perhaps partially cooked white bread.

M – Very light but still juicy up front. Carbonation is high and washes away the moderate hop bitterness. Much drier on the finish, and crisp.

O – Very refreshing, highly aromatic, and a great showcase for the hop smells. I seem to like this a lot better when I’m not trying to evaluate it, I expected a better score coming into the tasting. I could drink this all day (and have!)

amazing flavor and great finish - perfect beer to enjoy hops

Awesome beer. Cannot get enough of it. Not readily available in my area. Have to get lucky to happen upon it.

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can sent to me by the super generous spinaltapped. Thanks dude!

Pours a golden yellow, with some orange tints. There's a foamy one and a half inch head, and random spots of lacing down the glass.

Smells zesty and floral, with some orange, grapefruit, and mango, and a tiny bit of peppery pine.

This is so easy drinking it's ridiculous. Like delicious hop water, in a good way. It's very floral, and shows itself as the dominant flavor, which makes sense, given the name. There's some not too sweet citrus flavors as well, as well as a moderately bitter finish.

This is definitely light bodied, and very airy, light, and crisp in the mouthfeel. There's a moderate amount of carbonation. This is one of the most drinkable beers you'll ever find.

This is quite excellent, thanks to my man spinaltapped for giving me the opportunity to try it.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

What an unbelievable combination of drinkability (I know, I know...) and taste! I picked up a 4 pack of tallboys this weekend while visiting Chicago and I'm kicking myself for not buying a case! This has IPA taste with Pale Ale smoothness. It's not bitter, but its not tame. Its light and fruity with zero alcohol presence and leaves an delicious aftertaste.

Truly remarkable for a Pale Ale. I'd order this over a hundred IPAs I've had! Well done Half Acre.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is pleasant, color is a slightly hazy orange, pours three fingers of very frothy head, reinforced by a slow stream of bubbles streaming from bottom of the glass, leaves nice lacing.
Aroma is slightly fruity, with some grass,pine, and a touch of booze.
Taste contains mildly fruity notes, hints of citrus, and boozy in the finish.
Texture- light body with high carbonation, faintly dry in the very end.
overall its a solid IPA, doesn't stand out IMO but an overall positive drinking experience.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Beautiful gold color with light head, minimal lacing and plenty of tiny bubbles from the carbonation continually striving to reach the top. Smell is on the light side, and comes across with hop resin and citrus. Light taste with an amazing balance of hop bitterness, grapefruit rind and light malt. Really well balanced !!!!. Feels great going down with just the right amount of carbonation; refreshing!!. Light hop bitterness aftertatste. Nice job on this one. Thanks to FFF Junkie for this beer!!!

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned first week of July, picked up directly from Half Acre. Drank 10.17.14. Poured into a 16oz Shaker.

One of my absolute favorite APAs, one which I have been drinking since Half Acre first introduced it years ago. Bought it but didn't review it last time I was in Chicago, but luckily when I visited again earlier this month my previous purchase was still waiting for me.

A: Pours a slightly hazy raw honey color, 1.5 fingers of pure white head...very airy and soapy, leaves sticky lacing as the head fades away completely, leaving only small traces of a collar.

S: Fresh cut grass... bordering on fresh cut wildflowers, lemon zest, grapefruit, papaya, biscuity malt, piney hops.

T: Raw. Piney hops, acidic grapefruit, papaya, ripe mango, floral, dry sweet malt... remarkably easy to enjoy and appreciate.

M: Refreshing on the tongue, herbal, clean, light and sessionable, resinous finish. This will never burn you out.

0: Works anytime, anywhere. Tame enough to session, yet bold enough to enjoy on mellow days. Love it.

Daisy Cutter Pale Ale from Half Acre Beer Company