2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Hugs - Half Acre Beer Company

Big HugsBig Hugs

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 12-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Hugs Alström Bros
Ratings: 424 | Reviews: 147 | Show All Ratings:
Khazadum

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

A- This beer is amazing poured. Big inky stout, full lacing, sticky body, mocha topping. Its got the carbonation I want, its got no imperfections I can spot. Perfect appearance.

S- What more can I ask for? Sweetness on teh back end. Like a light maple syrup. This is surrounded by a sweet coffee roast. A non-bold, not espresso blend this year. What a great choice. Its roasty aroma, not bitter, not overwhelming, but distinctly coffee. It also has some toasted grain characteristic.

T- Oh those flavors. Opens sweet milk chocolate, lactose sugars, ethanolic laden dark fruits. Plums, dates, raisins. Almost the whole gamut. It has a placement of roasted coffee that isn't roasted grain. Behind the coffee is the roasted grain! Two flavors but identifiable. They really hit a home run this year in terms of flavors. I'm amazed at how good this tastes. Finishes relatively clean but you have the memory of roast with little bitterness there. It exists to balance, but you know its coffee you are tasting. Here and there you taste some hops, muddied, murky, sometimes citrus and vegetation.

M- Thick, viscous, syrupy. Delightful. Sticky flavors, really hard to determine the alcoholic nature. definitely not a 9%+ beer, but a 6%+ for sure. Carbonation is light, appropriate, allows it to not be cloying.

This is the BEST year of Big Hugs in the past 3 years. Fantastic, amazing. Delicious. I drank a half growler of this in one sitting, I'm sure.

12-19-2011 06:11:02 | More by Khazadum
Beerkovich

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Half Acre,

I'm enjoying a bottle of the "Big Hugs" stout right now. If you have not tasted it yet, it is magnificent.

I've been craving a perfect stout for the last couple months, and for the time being I've grown a little tired of the cliche, over-the-top, american renegade brewing-type stouts that keep turning up everywhere (except for Dark Lord & Kentucky Breakfast Stout, but those aren't available yet).

Big Hugs has fully satisfied my craving for the perfect stout this winter. I had no idea it was going to be this good. The aroma is addictive, and I find myself smelling it more than sipping it. Perfect balance of flavors. Not too rich, sweet, or sticky, nor too dry, hoppy, or burnt. It has a smooth mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. It's fruity, creamy, and has a subtle, but quite complex and rounded coffee flavor. It reminds me of how Italian gelato expresses a flavor in its full essence. This is an elegant, thoughtfully crafted american double stout, that balances an array of delicious flavors with masterful restraint.

Amazing. Well done. You're probably keeping a tally for this, so please mark me down as someone who would love to buy this beer for a few months out of every year.

-Nick

01-26-2010 07:14:54 | More by Beerkovich
KeefD

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Picked this up last weekend while in Chicago. Pour is dark brown, black as night in the glass, large creamy caramel colored head that left some great lacing in the pint. Big time coffee notes in the nose, among the best coffee stouts I've come across as far as aroma goes. Becomes more developed as it warms in the glass, chocolate and roastiness starts to come out. Oh yes, great balance in this beer. Coffee is dominate, but it's followed up nicely by a creamy milk chocolate flavor with only a mild roastiness that's well integrated with the coffee and chocolate. Bitterness is light. Would like a little more body for an imperial stout, but it's by no means thin. Creamy is the best way to describe this beer throughout. Alcohol heat only peeks through on the finish. I tried three Half Acre beers in the last few days and have been highly impressed with everything they've done. This is a great up and coming brewery, and Big Hugs is their shining star for me. Excellent beer.

02-10-2010 00:37:39 | More by KeefD
DavoleBomb

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to Khazadum.

4.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of creamy light brown head with good retention and plenty of lacing. Very nice here.

4.5 S: Great mix of roasty toastiness, TONS of chocolate, coffee with lots of cream, and layers of caramel. A touch of smoke and burntness. Not ridiculously complex, but really elegant.

4.5 T: I really like the flavor this has. It tastes like it might be EE Toaster's little brother. Toastiness is the main attraction here. Roasted barley, semisweet chocolate, espresso strength coffee, some crystal malt sweetness, and a moderate bitterness from the malts and hops. Really wonderful.

5.0 M: Heavier medium to heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Super creamy and super smooth with a touch of burnt aftertaste. Really nice here. If this was just a touch thicker it would be perfect. Still, very good here.

5.0 D: This is a damn good beer and right up there with my favorite RISs. I'm going to need more of this. Like I mentioned, this shares some traits with Toaster and since Toaster isn't going to be made again, this can fill in and do a great job doing that.

12-28-2010 00:51:54 | More by DavoleBomb
beerad666

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Love the label on this one!

Pours out pitch black with a medium sized light brown head that settles down to a thin coat. This big guy punches you with a ton of coffee aroma. I would say a little bit of chocolate but I think that's coming from the coffee beans and not so much the beer. Other than that there is a slight sweetness but it's hard to pick out much over the delicious coffee aroma. I'm a big fan of Dark Matter Coffee (I get it at Star Lounge all the time) so I was extremely excited to give this beer a try. The taste follows the aroma... tons of coffee. It's creamy, slightly sweet, roasted and a slight bitterness on the finish whether from the coffee or hops. Quality coffee in here! The let down is the mouthfeel, I think it all kinda feels slightly empty in the mouth, wish there was a little more going on. But then again it isn't a RIS...

Just under 10% and this guy hides it well and makes it very drinkable. You can easily knock out a bottle alone and I think I might just end up doing that.

12-26-2009 21:14:02 | More by beerad666
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bomber split with my drinking partner BeerFMAndy.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is pitch black with a huge creamy two finger head. Some light cascading can be seen after the pour. After settling a nice lace ring is left behind.

The aroma is a solid mix of coffee, chocolate and roast malt. It has a nice balance of all three never really overpowering eachother. A fine representation of a AIS nose.

The flavor is much the same as the nose. Coffee and roast malt. Hints of chocolate and molasses. It has a great burnt malt/charred wood finish that I love in a well made stout. Harly any of the ABV is noticable.

Full chewy body with hardly a trace of carbonation.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. So drinkable. I could recieve big hugs all day long.

02-06-2010 18:28:05 | More by beerwolf77
cetherid

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

poured into a tulip

A.

A nice dark black with about 3 fingers worth of frothy light brown head. Held up to the light and not getting much through it. A very nice looking Imp Sout!

S.

A beautiful smell of coffee and subtle chocolate. Nice roasted malts in there. Not like a stout that smells like pure black coffee.

T.

Just like nose. Nice chocolaty coffee taste. A little sweetness in there that is just right. Not too sweet and not much bitterness in there.

M.

Not quite full bodied but with perfect carbonation. Very creamy texture and very smooth going down.

D.

very high. Alcohol hidden very well. Very similar to a Founders breakfast stout. I could easily drink a bomber by myself and I plan on picking up more of these. Might have to have my buddy grab me a growler of this.

12-08-2010 02:09:51 | More by cetherid
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a pitch black with a nice thick coffee colored head that Hung around well kind of rocky.
Smells of roasted malt alcohol and coffee with a hint of hop acid.
Tastes sweet at first followed by alpha acids finishing with nice roasted coffee
Mouthfeel is medium to thick and perfect
Could drink this all night and thanks to Matt (bauermj) I will be ...

12-25-2010 01:23:24 | More by sliverX
JoeBoxer522

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! What a phenomenal brew! Got this from the Big Hugs release in late December of 2011 and cracked open the growler the next day.

A: Darker than dark, very inky black pour with a deep tan foamy head.

S: Roasty, a hint of coffee, a deep sweet smelling stout. Already getting a contact high.

T: A little more bitter than I expected, but incredibly smooth. You can tell the alcohol is there, but not quite as overbearing as other Imperial Stouts I've tried. Velvety smooth texture and a lingering bitter-sweetness. Overall excellent.

M: Velvety smooth, surprisingly sticky given it's not super sweet. Definitely lingers in your mouth well after it's gone.

Overall a fantastic brew. As a side note, I had 3 Snifters worth of the growler and I got a unique wonderful buzz that lasted through the night and into the morning, without any real hangover. Quality stuff :)

12-20-2011 20:08:10 | More by JoeBoxer522
GbVDave

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to pop for the assist!

A: Pours a pure coffee black with a creamy dark mocha head. This sports suprisingly good retention, sticking around for a few minutes before receding down to a thick ring. Some globs of lace were left behind.

S: Obviously, there's a very large coffee presence in the smell. Also along for the ride was some blackened malt, fudge brownies, and brown sugar/molassas. Wonderful espresso aromas.

T: See above. Amazingly fresh dark roast/french press coffee flavor blends seamlessly with dark chocolate, molassas, and dark fruit.

M: Medium bodied with a surprisingly bitter (coffee/hops/alcohol) bite. Kind of a Porter mouthfeel.

D: Half Acre crushes it. Stellar! Some reviewers decried the fact that the mouthfeel was a little thin. That's precisely why we liked it so much. It doesn't make you feel like you're drinking a stout shake.

01-21-2010 00:31:59 | More by GbVDave
TheHopfather

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Big Hugs
From bottle to snifter

A- dark brown to black w/ a one finger tan head that does not dissipate little to no light shines through.

S- Coffee and cream at first. hints of vanilla and the familiar roastiness of a Russian Imperial Stout soon follow. I also find a very faint butterscotch aroma. Hopefully the taste follows suit because the aroma of this one is magnificent.

T- Strong coffee, but not too strong. Roasty, yet at the same time a pleasing mellowness to it. Vanilla and cream in the back end. The tastes blend very well with each other.

M- Medium body. I'd like a little more for my tastes.

D- very drinkable for a 10% stout. I do not see this one lasting long.

O- I really enjoyed this bottle. The flavors all mesh very well and are what I want in a coffee stout. I will be looking for more bottles of this one in the future.

01-02-2012 18:17:23 | More by TheHopfather
PlinytheFarter

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am proclaiming that Half Acre will be the premier micro brewery in Chicago in five years. Goose Island is not longer Chicago I'm sorry. They keep getting better every year and are currently expanding their brewery so they can increase the amount of these great brews that we may get our hands on. I got two bombers at the release for this fantastic beer, it was very much worth the drive and short line wait. I am sad though that I did not dress as a cat as stated to on the update for the release. I figured a surprise gift would be like a coaster or bottle opener, turns it was some random corked bomber and a tulip! That is super badass and I learned my lesson on that one. Now onto to the review which I'm sure you can tell how I feel about the brew already.

Upon opening the beer I was kinda surprised by the muted smell I was getting. I figured for sure I would smelling that amazing Dark Matter coffee that Half Acre used to brew this beer. I then realized it was far too cold to get any great smell going. It was cold from sitting in the freezing brewery loading dock for the release. This was my only complaint about how the release was setup. After the beer sat for a few in the warmth of a friends furnished basement the amazing aroma I was hoping for came out. I smelled more coffee than roasty smokiness which I was pleased about.

It's as you would imagine a dark ass mofo of a beer. My favorite part is that wonderful medium brown head you get off a great Imperial Stout. I just mentally prepares me for the greatness within. It pours id say about a finger of head. I personally like a tad more on my Stouts but no real complaint. This however is a glimpse into my biggest complaint with this beer...

It tastes smooth and delicious with a hearty coffee kick. It slides down the throat nicely and isn't a very thick Stout at all considering the amount of flavor you get outta this. My biggest issue which I hinted at earlier is that it seems a tad "flat". I almost want to chalk this up to Half Acre being a really small brewery still. They have shown and continue to show they can hang with the big boys of the micro brew industry, but they still seem to be not quite ready to fully take a spot on top. I will compare them to lets say Founders which i would say is one the most consistent breweries who do some of the best Stouts that are similar to Big Hugs. That consistency thing is what elevates them to me, their beers never taste flat. The flavors are bold and up front and don't feel like they could and should have been more. Big Hugs has that slight letdown like it has more to offer you but just fell short of true epic status. This being said I freaking love this beer. The coffee taste is damn near perfect, thanks in large part to the amazingness that is Dark Matter coffee. This doesn't finish smokey or roasty, it just keeps hitting that cofee flavor. Well maybe there is some roast in the back end but it makes me think of a roasted coffee bean. I drank another last night Christmas Eve and it was fantastic. As you can see by my score my problem with it is minor but that jump from close to perfect beer to actually being perfect is huge. Half Acre will get there one day, sooner than later I assume. Until then I will continue to enjoy the journey with them!

Cheers!

12-25-2011 21:39:44 | More by PlinytheFarter
jacob4999

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 2011 bottle poured into a glass goblet. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance: Pours a nice black with an off white head. Nice retention and web lacing.

Smell: Coffee, sweet chocolates and roasted malt. Very inviting and smells delicious.

Taste: Light on the coffee to me but a nice sweet creamy chocolate flavor. That combined with the roasted malts makes the alcohol nonexistent. I could drink this beer all night.

Mouthfeel: Maybe it was because I drank this right after having a fresh BCBS but I thought mouthfeel was a little thin. But for being a sweet stout it definitely works!

Overall: Like an imperial and a milk stout rolled into one. Delicious flavors and smell make this beer a total package. Too bad it is so limited and hard to get as I could drink one of these every weekend and be content. Already can't wait till next year. Definitely seek this one out!

12-25-2011 23:56:46 | More by jacob4999
tasteegood

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of having this beer on tap, bottle, and in growler...yay!!!

Anyway on this occasion, I will look back to my wonderous experience on the day of its December release in 2011.

Serving type: Growler-split amongst 3 people in 2Hopleaf tulip glasses and 1 Bell's tulip glass.

S- Robust coffee, hints of chocolate....ah Dark Matter Coffee!!!
A-Black, black, black. W a thin brown lacing that coated the side of the glass as you drink.
T- Robust black Coffee (maybe a darker roast) w/ a pinch of azucar
M- LIght carbonation, coffee definitely stays on your buds for a bit.
O-Fantastic buy. One of my favorite ovarall and possibly my favorite seasonals from Half Acre. I will hodl on to my last 22 oz until my last breathe.

01-20-2012 04:31:38 | More by tasteegood
paco1029384756

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours black with one finger of creamy tan head that settles into a smooth thin layer.

Scent of sweet dark fruit, a hint of juicy hops, sugars, earth, caramel, and a nice punch of bitter coffee. This stuff smells incredible, the fresh coffee and sweet dark fruit work so well together.

Taste of dark fruit and strong coffee start, juicy hops, roasted malts, and sugar round it out. Finishes with a lasting coffee flavor, very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and oily, but thin and fairly flat.

12-20-2009 23:26:01 | More by paco1029384756
KDawg

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into a tulip. Pours a dark black color, but lacking a bit of head

Very good aromas of coffee, caramel, belgian chocolate and a good amount of malts. Very balanced, but slightly shy compared to the rest of the beer

Full bodied with a real great and smooth feel. Dangerously smooth with great depth too. Polished with great flavors of belgian chocolate, roasted malts, and a good amount of hot caramel. You can't notice the alcohol on this at all.

This is really damn good. Insanely smooth and polished, this is really impressive from half acre.

02-06-2012 22:39:53 | More by KDawg
Fcolle2

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick dark black with no light making it through this beer. Head is tan in color, about 2 fingers and has really good retention. Extra props for a sweet label

Smell is great. Rich dark chocolate malt plays nicely with a slightly acidic dark coffee aroma and more cacao aromas. Mild earthiness and spicy aromas follow. Smells very rich and decadent.

Taste is great and follows the nose. Very rich chocolate malt is forward along with more rich and slightly acidic coffee flavors that add a nicely complexity. Char bitterness is very light and let's the rich chocolate malt and coffee shine. There is a slightly bitter hop finish however.

Mouthfeel is great. Huge body and rich feel makes this a perfect after dinner sipping beer.

02-02-2014 23:51:20 | More by Fcolle2
Onenote81

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Stellar bonus procured from pochman. Huge thanks for this one!

22oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours an opaque black. A thin mocha-colored head sits atop. Leaves a ring around the edge upon it's release. Minor lace sticks around. Big scents of coffee, espresso, baker's chocolate, wood, wet grass. Wow. That's a nice nose on a beer for sure.

The mouth on this beer is spectacular. Absolutely silky smooth. So buttery and creamy. Coats the entire palate well. Perfect blend of roasted dark malts, bittering espresso, and dark chocolate. Light vinous grapes on the back end. Aftertaste reminds me of melted milk chocolate.

Absolutely wonderful beer. One of the best big stouts I have had the pleasure to enjoy. Kudos, Half Acre! And thanks again, Ed.

07-23-2010 16:04:07 | More by Onenote81
cosmicevan

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Big thanks to 2beerornot2beer and Pellinore1 for both hooking up this brew. The 2 bottles I have both are 10% with the Cat stomping the building, Godzilla-style with Japanese-ish label.

a - Popped the bottle and filled my founder's snifter. Soft black with a creamy tan head that bubbled and hung out for a few minutes. Lacing appeared milkshake-ish but then slid down the glass leaving just a ring.

s - Roasted dark chocolate and a touch of milkiness. Nice malty smell.

t - Flavor just like the nose. I expected it to be a bit more robust, but was pleasantly surprised that the flavors were so nicely balanced and not overdone. What jumps out most to me is the milky malts...almost a bit milk stout-like crossed with a porter. Roasted malts are subtle.

m - Full bodied, left a cooling bready feeling. Extremely smooth.

o - Overall this beer is a really nice surprise. The few beers I've had from Half Acre have all been solid. This is a brewery to keep an eye on. ABV is invisible and the flavor is smooth and balanced and this is a super easy drinker.

04-11-2011 03:02:21 | More by cosmicevan
COBeerBuff

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev +5%

This is the 2010 version, and I received this bottle in the most recent Black Booty BIF.

Appearance: The pour into my trusty Spiegelau tulip yields a viscous opaque black liquid that is crowned by a finger of tan colored head. The smoothness on top of the head is astounding. It’s not wispy or light or billowy like many IS’s. It’s flat and smooth surface, and its resiliency is ridiculous. A full five minutes after the pour, the beer appears as it did at the very start.

Smell: Heavy notes of chocolate and coffee blast my nose upon first whiff. There’s a little bit of toffee and caramel and a hint of vanilla, but the majority of this aroma is thick with the roastiness of the coffee and a little bit of burnt chocolate. This is hands-down one of the best Imperial Stouts that I’ve smelled this spring. Just awesome!

Taste: Just like the nose, the flavors rock your palate with tons of coffee, chocolate, and a little bit more of the caramel sweetness. The dominating flavors of the roasted malts are balanced quite well with the sweetness from the vanillas, caramels, and toffee flavors that come up on the backend.

Mouthfeel: The beer felt exactly as it appeared on the pour. The viscosity of this beer is very high, and as you sip it, it announces itself by coating your palate and removing all doubt that this is a beer to be reckoned with. The toasted malts and grains rest heavy, but the sweetness helps lighten the mouthfeel slightly, transitioning well into a somewhat dry finish. Very good for the style, and very enjoyable for this beer.

Drinkability: This is just as good as I remember it being at DLD 2010, and that was the previous year’s version. If I lived in Chicago, I would drink the s**t out of this beer, and that’s not an understatement. The flavors are so rich and well-defined, and the mouthfeel and overall experience this beer creates is exquisite. The only thing I’m not looking forward to with this beer is finishing my last bottle tonight.

05-14-2011 00:49:24 | More by COBeerBuff
AJacob81

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Growler purchased at Half Acre on Dec. 18, 2011 and shared with family a week later on Christmas day. Served in my lovely new HA-branded snifter/tulip.

A - Dark chocolate/black in color, topped with 2 fingers of creamy, latte-colored foam that leaves behind a decent amount of lacing as it recedes.

S - Freshly roasted house blend, and not much else. It's a lovely coffee aroma, but a bit one-dimensional. As it warms, some basic stout roastiness, mild hop aroma, and some cocoa shows up as well.

T - Great, bitter coffee stout. The coffee is spot on, and is supported nicely by dark bread and bittersweet chocolate notes from the malt bill, and just the right kick of spicy, earthy hops to provide a well-rounded flavor profile. Slight warming brings out a subtly sweeter hot cocoa taste and some boozy warmth. Really quite fantastic and much more complex than what the nose seemed to offer.

M - Full-bodied, nicely carbonated, finishes rather dry for a big stout. I'd like to just sip at it, but it keeps disappearing from my glass.

O - My first time in the kitten's embrace, certainly won't be my last. Highly recommended.

12-26-2011 23:16:21 | More by AJacob81
dgugliuzza

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into an oversized snifter

Pours black with a quick settling dark tan head. Some lacing remains along the sides of the glass. Carbonation appears low to moderate.

Great aroma of dark roasted malts and coffee. Some bitter cacao mixes in as well. Baker's chocolate immediately comes to mind. Sweet malt balances out the bitter, roasted coffee.

Sweet roasted malt combines with fresh coffee beans and baker's semi-sweet chocolate. This is certainly a coffee forward RIS but the other flavors can stand alone. Bold with just the right roastiness and sweetness required for an excellent and balanced RIS.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style, but creaminess reigns the palate. Moderate and appropriate carbonation for the style. Very smooth and quaffable.

An excellent offering by Half Acre. The best beer they make imo. The flavors are rich, bold and delicious. This would be a world class stout if it were more chewy and viscous. Enjoy this one fresh to get the full bodied coffee flavor.

01-19-2012 02:46:14 | More by dgugliuzza
Jaycase

4.38/5  rDev +5%

a: black as night. thick, creamy tan head. sticky lacing

s: dark chocolate and coffee with chocolate being the much more predominant aroma.

t: Roasted malts up front with nice blend of coffee and chocolate through the finish.

m: Smooth, thick and creamy. Finishes slightly dry.

o: Very enjoyable stout. Incredibly drinkable. Solid all around, no glaring negatives. Seek this one out stout lovers. I know I will again.

01-28-2012 02:47:40 | More by Jaycase
Holland

4.38/5  rDev +5%

A: dark brown to black, excellent hsmall head with great retention and lacing.

S: coffee and stout, delicious smelling, but not super distinguished

T: wonderful stout, excellent fresh coffee flavor, not too sweet at all with some good bitterness to balance a bit of richness

M: great medium carbonation along with medium heavy body and a smooth feeling.

O: delicious. Love coffee stouts, and this is right up there With breakfast stout and peche mortel.

12-24-2012 06:01:51 | More by Holland
trbergman

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours an inky black with a half inch of tan head that leaves behind plenty of lace.

S - Espresso, dark chocolate, caramel. A little subdued, but good.

T - Plenty of coffee, with chocolate and a sweet note of dulce de leche. None too roasty, though there's a fair level of hop bitterness. Hints of dark fruit - raisins, figs. The finish is lengthy and bittersweet.

M - Medium-full body, though surprisingly light for its 9.5% abv. Some added dextrins could really take this beer to the next level.

D - Big Hugs is very quaffable despite its strength. An impressive beer from Half Acre - I think that with a few small tweaks, it could be stellar.

01-04-2010 05:16:31 | More by trbergman