1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Hugs - Half Acre Beer Company

Big HugsBig Hugs

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 12-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Hugs Alström Bros
Ratings: 423 | Reviews: 147 | Show All Ratings:
jacob4999

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 2011 bottle poured into a glass goblet. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance: Pours a nice black with an off white head. Nice retention and web lacing.

Smell: Coffee, sweet chocolates and roasted malt. Very inviting and smells delicious.

Taste: Light on the coffee to me but a nice sweet creamy chocolate flavor. That combined with the roasted malts makes the alcohol nonexistent. I could drink this beer all night.

Mouthfeel: Maybe it was because I drank this right after having a fresh BCBS but I thought mouthfeel was a little thin. But for being a sweet stout it definitely works!

Overall: Like an imperial and a milk stout rolled into one. Delicious flavors and smell make this beer a total package. Too bad it is so limited and hard to get as I could drink one of these every weekend and be content. Already can't wait till next year. Definitely seek this one out!

12-25-2011 23:56:46 | More by jacob4999
PlinytheFarter

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am proclaiming that Half Acre will be the premier micro brewery in Chicago in five years. Goose Island is not longer Chicago I'm sorry. They keep getting better every year and are currently expanding their brewery so they can increase the amount of these great brews that we may get our hands on. I got two bombers at the release for this fantastic beer, it was very much worth the drive and short line wait. I am sad though that I did not dress as a cat as stated to on the update for the release. I figured a surprise gift would be like a coaster or bottle opener, turns it was some random corked bomber and a tulip! That is super badass and I learned my lesson on that one. Now onto to the review which I'm sure you can tell how I feel about the brew already.

Upon opening the beer I was kinda surprised by the muted smell I was getting. I figured for sure I would smelling that amazing Dark Matter coffee that Half Acre used to brew this beer. I then realized it was far too cold to get any great smell going. It was cold from sitting in the freezing brewery loading dock for the release. This was my only complaint about how the release was setup. After the beer sat for a few in the warmth of a friends furnished basement the amazing aroma I was hoping for came out. I smelled more coffee than roasty smokiness which I was pleased about.

It's as you would imagine a dark ass mofo of a beer. My favorite part is that wonderful medium brown head you get off a great Imperial Stout. I just mentally prepares me for the greatness within. It pours id say about a finger of head. I personally like a tad more on my Stouts but no real complaint. This however is a glimpse into my biggest complaint with this beer...

It tastes smooth and delicious with a hearty coffee kick. It slides down the throat nicely and isn't a very thick Stout at all considering the amount of flavor you get outta this. My biggest issue which I hinted at earlier is that it seems a tad "flat". I almost want to chalk this up to Half Acre being a really small brewery still. They have shown and continue to show they can hang with the big boys of the micro brew industry, but they still seem to be not quite ready to fully take a spot on top. I will compare them to lets say Founders which i would say is one the most consistent breweries who do some of the best Stouts that are similar to Big Hugs. That consistency thing is what elevates them to me, their beers never taste flat. The flavors are bold and up front and don't feel like they could and should have been more. Big Hugs has that slight letdown like it has more to offer you but just fell short of true epic status. This being said I freaking love this beer. The coffee taste is damn near perfect, thanks in large part to the amazingness that is Dark Matter coffee. This doesn't finish smokey or roasty, it just keeps hitting that cofee flavor. Well maybe there is some roast in the back end but it makes me think of a roasted coffee bean. I drank another last night Christmas Eve and it was fantastic. As you can see by my score my problem with it is minor but that jump from close to perfect beer to actually being perfect is huge. Half Acre will get there one day, sooner than later I assume. Until then I will continue to enjoy the journey with them!

Cheers!

12-25-2011 21:39:44 | More by PlinytheFarter
Treebs

22 oz. bottle served in a Deschutes snifter. 2011 vintage.

A: Pours a pitch color with a very bubbly dark khaki head. It rises up to about three fingers in height before settling to a thick collar. There is tons of sticky webbing down the glass. Looks phenomenal.

S: The nose was a tad on the sweeter side. Sweet chocolate malts and vanilla were at the front which was followed by a prominent roasted coffee bean body. There was a touch of raw cocoa as well.

T: Dark coffee grinds dominant the beginning of each sip, but then it transitions nicely to some dark chocolate, creamy sugar, and a nice roasted malt flavor. The finish is a combination of sweet vanilla and some boozy dark fruit.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. It was a tad thin on the initial pour when it was a little colder, but once it warmed up it became thicker and creamier. There was a touch to much carbonation for my liking. The dark roasted coffee flavors lingered on the palate for quite sometime after each sip which was nice.

O: A very solid and great tasting beer. I was expecting the coffee to take over, but it was very well balanced. Just a tad over carbonated.

12-24-2011 13:37:38 | More by Treebs
jegross2

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Reviewing the Big Hugs from Half Acre Brewing Company.
Score: 88

Fresh 2011 vintage bottle poured in a CBS snifter glass. Amazing artwork on the bottle. Click on the images to the right (labels from the different Big Hugs vintages) to enlarge.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with a half finger of creamy tan head that settles into a thin ring around the glass. Pretty solid lacing. 4/5

Smell: Velvety black coffee. Raw cocoa beans, dark unsweetened chocolate and raw coffee beans. Light hops aroma. 4/5

Taste: Creamed coffee. Some hops on the mid-palate. Raw bitter coffee bean finish. Some raw, unsweetened chocolate on the mid-palate as the beer layers. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Creamy and medium bodied. Light-plus carbonation, perhaps a touch too much carbonation. Finish is bitter and a little acidic. 3/5

Overall: A solid imperial stout from Half Acre. Certainly worth trying, but a little over-hyped if you ask me.

Recommendation: A very true to style, tasty, and inoffensive beer that I recommend to beer geeks and casual beer drinkers alike. Do not go too far out of your way to try this one, however.

Pairings: Chocolate cake.

Cost: $12 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle from the Half Acre Brewery Store.

12-24-2011 06:27:36 | More by jegross2
JoeBoxer522

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! What a phenomenal brew! Got this from the Big Hugs release in late December of 2011 and cracked open the growler the next day.

A: Darker than dark, very inky black pour with a deep tan foamy head.

S: Roasty, a hint of coffee, a deep sweet smelling stout. Already getting a contact high.

T: A little more bitter than I expected, but incredibly smooth. You can tell the alcohol is there, but not quite as overbearing as other Imperial Stouts I've tried. Velvety smooth texture and a lingering bitter-sweetness. Overall excellent.

M: Velvety smooth, surprisingly sticky given it's not super sweet. Definitely lingers in your mouth well after it's gone.

Overall a fantastic brew. As a side note, I had 3 Snifters worth of the growler and I got a unique wonderful buzz that lasted through the night and into the morning, without any real hangover. Quality stuff :)

Serving type: growler

12-20-2011 20:08:10 | More by JoeBoxer522
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Acquired from bassmantin, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass. I’ve had it stored for almost two years.

A: The beer is a very deep dark brown color, with a thin head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains black coffee, dark fruit, bourbon, roasted malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong bitter-sweet toasted coffee bean flavor, followed by background flavors of dark fruit, bourbon and chocolate. The roasted malt character is very hearty and there’s a very mild but complementary hops presence that creates a good balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp it’s also a bit syrupy but somehow it seems to work nicely in this beer, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, slightly filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice stronger coffee-flavored beer that appears to have aged quite well.

12-20-2011 04:51:42 | More by TheManiacalOne
Khazadum

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

A- This beer is amazing poured. Big inky stout, full lacing, sticky body, mocha topping. Its got the carbonation I want, its got no imperfections I can spot. Perfect appearance.

S- What more can I ask for? Sweetness on teh back end. Like a light maple syrup. This is surrounded by a sweet coffee roast. A non-bold, not espresso blend this year. What a great choice. Its roasty aroma, not bitter, not overwhelming, but distinctly coffee. It also has some toasted grain characteristic.

T- Oh those flavors. Opens sweet milk chocolate, lactose sugars, ethanolic laden dark fruits. Plums, dates, raisins. Almost the whole gamut. It has a placement of roasted coffee that isn't roasted grain. Behind the coffee is the roasted grain! Two flavors but identifiable. They really hit a home run this year in terms of flavors. I'm amazed at how good this tastes. Finishes relatively clean but you have the memory of roast with little bitterness there. It exists to balance, but you know its coffee you are tasting. Here and there you taste some hops, muddied, murky, sometimes citrus and vegetation.

M- Thick, viscous, syrupy. Delightful. Sticky flavors, really hard to determine the alcoholic nature. definitely not a 9%+ beer, but a 6%+ for sure. Carbonation is light, appropriate, allows it to not be cloying.

This is the BEST year of Big Hugs in the past 3 years. Fantastic, amazing. Delicious. I drank a half growler of this in one sitting, I'm sure.

Serving type: growler

12-19-2011 06:11:02 | More by Khazadum
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

This is a very nice imperial stout, that tends to be on the sweeter side, had this with the DC BIF group.

The beer pours a nice black with a off white head and leaves some nice lacing, head dies to a ring. The smell has a lot of nice sweeter malt notes and some roast, some cola and vanilla-ish. The taste also has the elements of the smell, but it all seems a lot more intense and in your face, a very full flavor that also is thick in the feel. Like I said, on the sweeter side, but I enjoy it, has the dark cola taste with tons of malt and chocolate notes too with plenty of roast as you'd expect from a big stout. Nice roast with a tinge of fruit. Great stuff.

This is worth a shot for stout lovers, as a sort of off the beaten path stout thats very enjoyable. Nice.

11-27-2011 20:14:23 | More by Dreadnaught33
HosP

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Thank you to mikesgroove for this treat! Shared bottle over thanksgiving dinner with family.

A- Poured not quite black, dark dark brown. Thin khaki head with a bit of lace on the glass.

S- Good amounts of coffee in the nose. Roasted malt mixed with some chocolate towards the end.

T- Sweeter stout than would have thought to be. Started with good coffee flavors at first. Roasted malts in the middle and in the background. Sweet chocolate towards the end with still some coffee flavors coming back. Creamy taste reminded me of almost a milk stout.

M- Medium body, low carbonation, creamy feel.

O- Really good stout that wish I wouldn't have shared so much. Nice flavors that aren't overdone and blend well together. Everyone loved it. Thanks Mike for the bottle!

11-26-2011 17:21:13 | More by HosP
orangesol

I brought this one to our Stout Day party. I believe this one was a 2010 bottle. I don't even like cats and this label is awesome.

A - Pours ink black with a nice one finger tall off white head leaving spotty streaks of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of dark roasted malt, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, and some light smoke.

T - Starts off with lots of rich coffee quickly giving way to hints of chocolate, light smoke, and dark roast. There is a bit of dark fruits hidden in the shadows of this one. The finish has quite a bit of dark roast to it, lingering on the pallet for quite awhile.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smooth, roasty, feel with very little booze for such a high ABV.

O - I enjoyed this one. It had plenty of flavor and the smooth feel really made it easy to drink. Thanks to whoever gave me this as an extra.

11-12-2011 21:05:05 | More by orangesol
Mora2000

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is full of coffee and chocolate with a lot of roasted malts. A very nice smelling Imperial Stout.

The flavor is more of the same. The chocolate and coffee really compliment the roasted malt notes well. There is also a nice cream and oats component to the flavor which I really enjoy.

Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice Imperial Stout.

10-31-2011 02:15:56 | More by Mora2000
scottfrie

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

2010 vintage. 10% ABV. Thanks to the generous BA who hooked it up a while ago.

A: Pours black with a finger of very dark brown head that faded into a thin collar leaving almost no lace.
S: Rich notes of dark chocolate, vanilla, a splash of coffee, and light alcohol vapor.
T: The dark chocolate dominates but there is a good amount of ‘roasted’ flavors to the brew. The coffee may be a bit faded by now but it shows up nicely in the finish and aftertaste. I get a kind of bitter nuttiness overall as well as a touch of dark fruit. Vanilla is in the aftertaste.
M: Super smooth mouthfeel, no trace of alcohol, low carbonation and a thick body. It could be a touch thicker, especially towards the finish.
O: Not the boldest of the imperial stouts but enjoyable none the less. I hardy get any coffee at all though. Is there supposed to be coffee? The bottle leads me to believe there should be.

10-18-2011 01:06:39 | More by scottfrie
COBeerBuff

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev +5%

This is the 2010 version, and I received this bottle in the most recent Black Booty BIF.

Appearance: The pour into my trusty Spiegelau tulip yields a viscous opaque black liquid that is crowned by a finger of tan colored head. The smoothness on top of the head is astounding. It’s not wispy or light or billowy like many IS’s. It’s flat and smooth surface, and its resiliency is ridiculous. A full five minutes after the pour, the beer appears as it did at the very start.

Smell: Heavy notes of chocolate and coffee blast my nose upon first whiff. There’s a little bit of toffee and caramel and a hint of vanilla, but the majority of this aroma is thick with the roastiness of the coffee and a little bit of burnt chocolate. This is hands-down one of the best Imperial Stouts that I’ve smelled this spring. Just awesome!

Taste: Just like the nose, the flavors rock your palate with tons of coffee, chocolate, and a little bit more of the caramel sweetness. The dominating flavors of the roasted malts are balanced quite well with the sweetness from the vanillas, caramels, and toffee flavors that come up on the backend.

Mouthfeel: The beer felt exactly as it appeared on the pour. The viscosity of this beer is very high, and as you sip it, it announces itself by coating your palate and removing all doubt that this is a beer to be reckoned with. The toasted malts and grains rest heavy, but the sweetness helps lighten the mouthfeel slightly, transitioning well into a somewhat dry finish. Very good for the style, and very enjoyable for this beer.

Drinkability: This is just as good as I remember it being at DLD 2010, and that was the previous year’s version. If I lived in Chicago, I would drink the s**t out of this beer, and that’s not an understatement. The flavors are so rich and well-defined, and the mouthfeel and overall experience this beer creates is exquisite. The only thing I’m not looking forward to with this beer is finishing my last bottle tonight.

05-14-2011 00:49:24 | More by COBeerBuff
UMNbeerhunter

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 Vintage poured into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip on 4/27/11.

Pours super dark almost oil like with a finger of fluffy mocha colored head that dissipates leaving little lacing on the glass. Head retention is good but not great and I would have liked to see more lacing. The color of the head is very pleasing.

Smells of tons of toasted malts and coffee. There is a slight aroma of chocolate in the background but this beer is almost all about the roasted malt and coffee. Good aromas but not great. Well balanced.

Taste is bitter sweet chocolate mostly and then some roasted malt taste in the middle and finally it leaves me with a slightly fruity fig, raisin taste on the back end. I would have like to see a stronger coffee taste but it is a good swill even without it.

Mouthfeel is very light for the style. The resins coat the mouth with a bitter sweet fig taste that make you keep swallowing and tasting. Decent.

Overall this is a good brew but not stellar. One that isn't really worthy of going after all the time but definitely don't pass it up if you get a chance. I enjoyed it and look forward to having it again in the future.

04-28-2011 02:51:59 | More by UMNbeerhunter
jampics2

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

22oz bottle into a tasting snifter. I've been holding on to this to share at the right occasion, and a throw-down for a great friend who is leaving town seemed like a perfect opportunity. I believe this was an extra in a trade!

The beer looks great in the glass. It's a nice dark color with only the slightest touches of color variation around the edges. The black and dark brown liquid is capped with a nice off-white crown of foam that stays for a few minutes than sinks back into the abyss below.

The taste is full of roasty notes. The roasted malt gives dark chocolate impressions while the added coffee lurks a bit in the background. There's more of a molasses or fudge note than a coffee domination IMO.

The taste brings whatever coffee was missing in the nose, though. There's some initial sweetness, powered by roasted malts giving caramel and milk chocolate impressions. Then, the chocolate steals the spotlight, followed up by the coffee. A true star of the show, the coffee closes the experience in good form, dominating the closing set but also allowing the pervious flavors to sit in for a song or two.

The mouthfeel was really the only unpleasant or notably dissapointing aspect of this brew. It was just way too thin, with too little viscosity to balance out the flavors. Other than that, the booze was masked really well, and the beer was good overall. This is nothing jaw-dropping, but I would take another hug sometime in the future. Especially as an extra. Free hugs, right?

The mouthfeel

04-18-2011 13:12:26 | More by jampics2
Spider889

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Another beer from the first Central Ohio Beer Tasting. I can't remember whose this was atm, I want to say schwaeh...

Black as night, had a decent cap of mocha head.

Toasty malt flavor, lots of char and bitterness. At this point I was just finding out that this was a coffee beer. Really? Coffee beers are some of my favorite, but I wasn't getting a shred of coffee in the aroma here.

The coffee in the flavor is also nearly nonexistent imo, but it's there if you try to find it. Dark and syrupy. This ale is full of biting green hops that provide a grassiness I am growing to dislike in a stout (think IST).

Not a bad stout, but as a coffee beer this is a fail.

04-16-2011 09:34:10 | More by Spider889
cosmicevan

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Big thanks to 2beerornot2beer and Pellinore1 for both hooking up this brew. The 2 bottles I have both are 10% with the Cat stomping the building, Godzilla-style with Japanese-ish label.

a - Popped the bottle and filled my founder's snifter. Soft black with a creamy tan head that bubbled and hung out for a few minutes. Lacing appeared milkshake-ish but then slid down the glass leaving just a ring.

s - Roasted dark chocolate and a touch of milkiness. Nice malty smell.

t - Flavor just like the nose. I expected it to be a bit more robust, but was pleasantly surprised that the flavors were so nicely balanced and not overdone. What jumps out most to me is the milky malts...almost a bit milk stout-like crossed with a porter. Roasted malts are subtle.

m - Full bodied, left a cooling bready feeling. Extremely smooth.

o - Overall this beer is a really nice surprise. The few beers I've had from Half Acre have all been solid. This is a brewery to keep an eye on. ABV is invisible and the flavor is smooth and balanced and this is a super easy drinker.

04-11-2011 03:02:21 | More by cosmicevan
GallowsThief

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Received in trade from RC0032 (much thanks Rich). Poured out of a bomber into my tulip.

A - Black as night. Big 3 finger milk chocolate head. Nice looking. Head receded fairly quickly and leaves a nice sheen. Sticky lacing all down the glass.

S - Mocha, chocolate, coffee, vanilla and a nice sweetness. Roasty malts.

T - Much like the smell you get the whole combination of goodness. First is the mocha and chocolate. The coffee flavor comes next and is not overly aggressive if you're a coffee drinker. Its nice and subtle. It finishes off sweet and has just a bit of warming alcohol at the end.

M - Creamy smooth, medium carbonation. Thought it would be a bit more viscous after seeing and smelling it but it is a bit on the thin side.

D - Heck yes. This is a damn fine stout.

04-09-2011 23:53:04 | More by GallowsThief
nhindian

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Big thanks to Alewatcher for throwing this in as an extra in his 'Rare Bourbon County LIF', thanks Jeff!

This is the label with a 'King Kong' Cat stomping a castle and Japanese-influenced font. 10.00% ABV

A - Pours a flat black in color, and slowly but gradually develops a frothy, tan head. Coming in at about 2-fingers, the head is almost packed completely dense with bubbles so it almost resembles an inverted black and tan (though with a different shade of tan). The head retention is pretty good, lasting for several minutes, and as it fades it leaves intricate lacing.

S - This smells of roasted malts, a good amount of coffee grounds, and slight alcohol. There are notes of hop as well. Sniffs of chocolate ink their way out of the malts, but for the most part this is a robust nose focused on roast and coffee. Overall fairly sweet and enjoyable.

T - At first this beer is a pretty heavy hitter, bringing a big rush of espresso and chocolate, but it quickly drops the roast for more chocolate sweetness. Given the nose, I was expecting a lot more coffee and am kind of let down that there isn't more here. Near the end some citrusy hops add their own twist to the flavor, while a rather fusel alcohol finish is a bit off-putting.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy with above-average carbonation for the style. This is definitely a full-bodied beer and it will take a while to finish. Normally this amount of carbonation would be a hindrance for the style, but with the relatively hoppy finish, I feel it goes well.

D - Drinkability is moderate. Honestly I was expecting a bit more from this beer in terms of coffee influence, because as of now, it's faint and short-lived. Probably not the best idea to follow Kate the Great with this, but it's still a solid beer if you like a more sweet, hoppy stout.

04-01-2011 03:20:08 | More by nhindian
Retsinis

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Got to try this at the Clusterfork # 2 tasting, thanks Irishgirl for sharing this.

The beer pours a dark, murky brown, nearly black, but closer to say espresso in color. A dark tan foamy head barely rose, but receded to a ring of bubbles, good lacing on the glass.

As the appearance lead on in the color, and dark head, the aroma has a strong creamy espresso note, followed by roasted malt, caramel and dark chocolate. Got a little whiff of heat.

Taste was a bit sweeter than I expected given the nose. Still had plenty of coffee flavor though, followed with chocolate, small hints of figs and raisins, light roasted malt, and sweet finish. Alcohol did not come through much in the taste, but did more so in the nose.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium body, with light carbonation.

Overall, awesome I got to try this, it was good, and I would have it again. Two Half Acre beers in the same day!

03-31-2011 23:42:36 | More by Retsinis
drabmuh

Maryland

Shared by Dan, thanks buddy.

Beer is black with a thin off white head that has some retention, minimal lacing, apparent moderate to low carbonation.

Lots of roast and some sweetness, perhaps milk chocolate in the nose. Smells good.

Beer is thinner than expected, sweet up front with some chocolate in the midpalate and some coffee on the finish, overall a decent beer, nothing too special though.

03-21-2011 23:27:13 | More by drabmuh
stakem

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Review from notes taken 2/23/11. Bomber split with wishuwerebeer.

Poured into a sniffer, this brew appears black in color with a thin film of dark brown head that dissolves quickly leaving only a thin ring around the wall of the glassware. Faint spotty lacing appears when sips are taken. A swirl revives the cap to a finger's strength.

The aroma is roasty with a scent of dark fruits and light fusel alcohol that tingles the nose. Light indications of coffee are roasty and earthy and very well integrated into the smell of this brew without being dominating. A light citrus aspect developes as the brew warms. A herbal, earthy hop aroma is revealed when swirled.

The taste is roasty with burnt to charred character of the grain. Dry grainy residue clings inside the mouth that is lightly musty. Citrus hops and coffee notes are exaggerated by the warming fusel touch of alcohol. Some dark skinned fruit flavors linger inside the mouth with indications of licorice.

This is a medium bodied brew to full in the feel with a light level of carbonation. The abv is pretty apparent in this brew yet easy drinking and well incorporated. Well rounded overall, nice and roasty but with a touch too much citrus and fusel alcohol to make this one outstanding. Still pretty good and worth a try.

03-17-2011 14:26:29 | More by stakem
mdfb79

From 03/05/11 notes. Brought to a local tasting. 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, and light coffee. I enjoyed the smell a lot, but was expecting a lot more coffee.

t - Tastes of coffee grinds, roasted malts, chocolate, sweet dark fruits, and vanilla. More coffee than the smell, but still not a lot.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - I liked this stout, though I didn't think there wasd a lot of coffee to it. Opening a 2009 vintage in a few weeks so interested to see how that compares.

03-14-2011 23:42:41 | More by mdfb79
ChrisPro

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted blind on 3/13/11 as part of Blind BIF #4

22 oz poured into a tulip. Opaque super dark brown, but not quite black. A single finger of khaki head forms and lingers for minutes.

Aroma is nutty and caramel with big chocolate. There's a slight earthiness or smoke as well. Maybe there's a little oak in here?

Taste is quite sweet and much more caramel and molasses than I expected. There's definitely some rich chocolate there and a slight coffee finish. This is a text book imperial stout. great balance between sweetness and bitter on the finish. As it warms, there's some strange flavor that I can't peg; maybe anise? I feel like there might be some sort of spice in this beer. As it warms, this is reminding me of berserker, and I'm wondering if there is maybe some molasses as well.

Very full-bodied, thick mouthfeel. This is almost like drinking carbonated milk. There's some light carbonation that's appropriate for the style. Either this is aged a bit, or it's more in the 9% range since I detect hardly any heat whatsoever.

Quite drinkable imperial stout. With the body, it's hard to put this down quickly, but it also doesn't need to be a sipper, either. Definitely a solid imperial stout and I'd be happy drinking this again.

Reveal: Half Acre Big Hugs!

After the reveal, I realize that the strange taste I've been getting is, in fact, the coffee. This is a well-roasted coffee and well-made coffee beer and tastes incredibly smooth, not like 10% at all.

4.5/4/3.5/4/4.5

03-14-2011 02:51:34 | More by ChrisPro
Thorpe429

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle shared by mdfb79 at a recent tasting. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pour yields a dark brew with an off-white head that sticks around for a bit before falling into a cap and a thin collar. Nose brings forward mostly roast with a touch of coffee and chocolate in the background. The flavor is pretty similar to the nose in that they're really both on the light side with just a splash of coffee. Body is medium--though light for the style--with moderate carbonation and a smoothness without much booze. Nothing too complex or earth shattering, but pleasantly drinkable.

03-08-2011 12:20:09 | More by Thorpe429