Gossamer Golden Ale - Half Acre Beer Company

good

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: OttoBomb on 12-15-2009)

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a tall boy into killer Half Acre stein.

A - Looks like a Chicago Spring day. Good foam, nice bubbles. Great golden color.

S - Love the smell of this one. A little bit of creamsicle, a little bit of grass. Again, smells like Spring.

T - It's just ever so slightly bitter, with more of the grassiness showing up. It's really begging for something salty to pair with it. A lot of presence for such a low ABV. It's almost like a slightly lighter Kolsch, with some extra bitterness on the finish.

M - Pretty standard.

O - Really like this beer. I give it bonus points for doing all that it does at only 4.2%. If there is a better Spring/Summer session beer, I have yet to come across it.

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Many thanks to my sister Laura for this one. a new brew from a Chicago brewery. 4.2% ABV, I love a good session brew!

This is also #BOTG 27!

Poured from can into DFH snifter. Pours a murky yellow/orange color. decent lacing and head retention. small bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass. Smell- there is a floral aroma..reminds me of potpourri and popcorn. Buttery aroma. Orange peel as well. Taste- mild bitterness with an unwanted soapy experience. somewhat watery. A little coriander, lemon peel. This lacks body, sweetness, and is a little high on carbonation. I suppose if in the summer, this would drink well from the can if it was a little colder. But, this isn't that memorable. A little bleh.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%

From a schooner at the Portillo's in downtown Chicago. Definitely a nice complement to the excellent hotdogs, but nothing terribly special. Very drinkable blonde ale with a semi-sweet nose. Well balanced malt and slight hops taste. Could have used a little more hop flavor actually. I wasn't looking for something to blow me away, just a nice, drinkable beer with lunch.

3.18/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a pint can into a Libbey craft pint glass.

A: Pale orange with a lively white head. Head stays thick and bubbly much after the pour. Coarse bubbles and lacing all over.

S: Sweet apricot-like hop in the nose. Mild, a little spicy. Sweet fresh bread.

T: Somewhat odd. Milky and mildly acidic oat flavor. Barely bitter hops, a little perfumy fruit, followed by coarse cereal grain. Lactic and mild soapy hop in the finish, with some chalky yeast.

M: Almost medium-bodied.

O: Somewhat odd flavor profile, but not totally bad. Very grainy with a little bit of bittering hops.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Can received as an extra from a recent trade. Light, golden-yellow pour with moderate white head. Decent lace, especially given the style. The minimal aroma is predominantly malty; smells like corn too.

Watery, malty taste. Hints of hops midway through, but finishes sweet & bland instead. Body is slightly thicker than average with just the right amount of carb.

Not bad for the style, but I'd strongly prefer Daisy Cutter (or hell, Zombie Dust) 100 times out of 100.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Poured golden just like the name suggests with little to no head.

S: Fruity, slightly hoppy

T: Fruity, hoppy, grassy, bitter. It comes together very nicely. Downright refreshing.

M: Thin, medium carbonation. Nothing wrong with it.

O: My 4.5 betrays some of my other scores but this beer is definitely in my top 3. I love it. Its even better during the Summer. I can't wait to have a growler of this in the fridge during the warm days. One of my go-to's when I want to kick back and have a few.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

16oz can poured into SNevada pint glass. No canning information located on the can.

A: Pours a hazy yellow (BMC) color. Tons of fluffy white head, but this can could have been shaken up pretty well. Tons of carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

S: Smells a little grainy and weak. I do get some citrus and lemon peel notes. Maybe some mild Belgian yeasty notes.

T: I get a little hop presence (or something) on the tip of the tongue. Then a strange soapy hop citrus character. There is some faint biscuit maltiness in there too. It is very light and has a crisp finish that leaves you wanting more. Good summer beer I guess.

M: Light with good carbonation

O: C+ or B- you call it. It's not a terrible beer, but that soapy flavor really was off putting for me. I don't know if it was my and my taste buds, or the can.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Blind Beer #8, 16 oz. can poured into my Lost Abbey stem.

Pours a just slightly hazy straw yellow with a giant whitish head. Looks nice. - 4.0

The smell is definitely different - grainy and a bit yeasty with a suggestion of hops. I am thrown for a loop on this one - it is most certainly no IPA. -3.5

Bready and grainy flavors are layered under a surprising hop presence and lightly sweet finish. An unexpected amount of flavor based on the lighter appearance, milder nose and lighter body. -3.5

The body is light with a good carbonation level. -4.0

Overall, this beer is relatively drinkable - it's like a refined version of a BMC with a hop back to it. The touch of sweetness and hop bitterness help to cover up some of the graininess which isn't my favorite. - 3.5

Reveal: Half Acre Gossamer! I've also seen this in stores many times, but always reached for the Daisy Cutter. Really interesting. 4.2% Golden Ale is not exactly what I was thinking, but I guess it makes sense. Thanks for another beer I've been meaning to try!

Gossamer Golden Ale from Half Acre Beer Company