Double Daisy Cutter - Half Acre Beer Company

Double Daisy CutterDouble Daisy Cutter

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-20-2010

Double Daisy Cutter is a monster version of the original Daisy Cutter Pale Ale. A heftier grain bill amps up the weight and double dry hopping insures there's enough hops to recede your gums.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daisy Cutter Alström Bros
4.24/5  rDev +1%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Courtesy of Florida9

A: Mostly opaque dark orange pour. Initial pour gets about 1 finger of white head. Appears to have decent retention as a ring is always present and a quick swirl gets 1/2 finger. No lacing though

S: When I first popped the cap, I was hit with the smell of cannabis. Once poured, it's piney hops and some citrus. Nice caramel malt background. One of the nicest smelling DIPAs (imperial pale?) I've experienced

T: Initially starts out with lots of bitterness from the hops. Slowly the citrus fruit comes through, mostly grapefruit. Finishes with more bitterness. A little surprised by this, given the smell. Let this one warm up a bit as more grapefruit comes out then

M: Medium to full bodied. Good carbonation for the style. Seems to coat the mouth. Residual bitterness left on the tongue

D: I know it's not a category, but this should be a imperial pale. That's because as a DIPA, it falls short of the standard. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and hopefully I'll get to try it again

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

22oz bottle into an imperial pint - the definition of trouble.

Appearance -- Pours an autumnal amber hue, slightly hazed, with a slim creamy beige head. The lace is something to behold, completely coating the rim of the glass like the fog on the bathroom mirror after a hot shower. I'd love to give this a 5, but it's quite dark for the style.

Smell -- Bitter citrusy goodness: grapefruit pith, lemon zest, and a faint Froot Loops/wetnap aroma. Additionally, there are also floral and spring grass notes that soften the edges of the resounding pithy bitterness. Malt sweetness is kicked up slightly compared to DC, akin to orange marmalade on whole wheat toast. While not the greatest IIPA aroma, this is certainly unique.

Taste -- The hop profile matches Daisy Cutter to a tee with grapefruit pith, lemon zest, and a modicum of floral notes. Like its namesake beer, the malt base is dry and crisp like dry golden toast. One can almost feel the juicy citrus notes trying to make themselves known, but there simply isn't enough residual malt sugars to let them shine through, not that this is necessarily to DDC's disadvantage. Lingering flavors of lemon rind and dry, gently toasted malt.

Mouthfeel -- Medium bodied, perhaps a hair lighter, with lively carbonation akin to a top-notch Belgian Strong Pale. Lightly drying finish, slightly chalky in the back-end, but this lightens up once the beer warms up.

Drinkability -- When I first picked this up I thought, "okay, Half Acre made an IIPA and decided to name it after their flagship beer." However, I came to find that it is very much an imperial Daisy Cutter.

This is a really good beer, truly, but it doesn't hit the hallmarks of what I look for in a great IIPA. This one falls through the cracks of style definitions I feel -- would 'American Strong Pale Ale' be a better definition? While this doesn't stand to become one of the great regional IIPAs alongside Dreadnaught, it is completely unique expression of the style. How many craft brewers can say that about their IIPA?

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Served in a Half Acre pint glass

This beer was part of the most recent release of this beer and I personally decided that it needed to be opened as soon as possible. Why not save it for Christmas night? The beer pours a hazy golden orange color with an frothy white foam. The aroma is quite citrus filled. There is lots of lemon and orange blossom to be found on the nose, almost exclusively. The taste ventured into a different realm. While there was still citrus hop flavor it was mirrored equally by a caramel maltiness that was accented most interestingly by an earthy flavor I can only assume comes from the soil that these hops were grown in. Though I was told by the man at HA that there were different hops (citra) used in this new batch that were purchased from FFF. Interestingly enough this is quite a pleasant beer, but It's more of a double APA than an IPA. Still a rather pleasant beer from Half Acre, making it well worth the trip into the city.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

22oz bomber poured into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a deep orange, almost marmalade color. Two-finger quickly reduces to a 1/4" nice foam top.
S: Citrus, almost tangerine. Floral.
T: A nice citrus flavored body with a bit of hoppy bitterness. A bit of booze.
M: A nice active body on this.
D: I think this a good beer. I think having a bomber is a nice treat.

Big thanks to cadaugherty for the growler. Cheers!

Poured from growler into Stone IPA glass. Slightly hazed golden orange body. A healthy egg shell head is set a top. The retention is quite impressive, a slight cap is left for the duration of each pour. Heavy lacing is left firmly attached to the side of the glass.

Much like any good DIPA, the hops are front and center. The aroma places itself somewhere between an American and English IPA. The citrus hops are countered by a equally assertive dose of floral hops. This works, but it is just not my bag. I prefer the heavy citrus with the floral taking more of a complimentary role.

The flavor begins with with a nice hop bite. The A rather pithy, organic bitterness rolls across the palate. As you get several sips in the citrus flavor becomes more apparent. Tangelo and grapefruit flavors merge. Once again, the beer combines qualities of both the American and English IPA's. The floral hops are much more subtle on the tongue. The malt flavor is quite subdued. I am thrilled by the lack of caramel malt in the flavor.

Medium bodied beer, with prickly carbonation. Resinous oily feel left on the tongue. A finish is fairly dry though a slight lingering flavor is left on the tongue.

I like this beer. It is not my favorite in the style, nor is it in my top 5 or possibly 10. I am not sure if I see this as a DIPA. It is certainly a bit bigger than an IPA, it is a cusper. If this beer were to be available for purchase on a regular basis I would revisit with out question. I am thrilled to have had the chance to enjoy this, a really good beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Super Fresh Growler into my Stone IPA glass-

Appearance- Glowing copper pour with tons of white head, great lacing.

Aroma- Floral/Citrus hops abound. Grapefruit and a hint of orange peel.

Taste- Again with the hops up front (not exactly grapefruit, dare I say tangerine), good bitterness with a crisp dry finish.

Mouth/Drink- Honestly not quite as good as plain old Daisy Cutter. Something is not as precise in this element (to be frank a bit of a step down from the previous batch).

Well this is appropriate my 1st BA review that I bothered to enter was for Daisy Cutter, and now my 50th Review is for Double Daisy Cutter. I swear I didn't plan this.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought this growler today at Half Acre. Poured into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium orange in color with a 2 finger fluffy white head that has excellent retention and lacing. The beer has minimal haziness to it and is nearly 100% translucent

S: Citrusy hops abound on the nose. There's a little pint of passion fruit and melon the nose as well. There's some malt presence on the back end that comes across as diluted caramel.

T: The first thing that struck me about the beer is that it was chalky. This seemed to dissipate somewhat as I got deeper into the glass (potentially a side effect of the head) but remained at least to some degree for the duration of the drink. The main flavors in this beer are Light citrus fruits such as guava, passion fruit, and mango up front and a chalky bitterness at the finish.

M: I didn't really like the way this beer sat on the tongue, it was appropriately carbonated but was very heavy and chalky.

D: The initial flavor was more like freedom of 78 to me than original daisy cutter. The beer was not crisp and clean like I would have hoped for and this hurts it's drinkablity substantially. I preferred both freedom of 78 and regular daisy cutter to this.

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass.

Pours a honey orange color with a big fluffy honeycomb head. Smells like orange peel, grapefruit and some honey. Has a sharp hop bite but is balanced with bready malts. The finish is dry, yet has a juicy hop profile. Nice carbonation and a good long finish. Drinkability is good. Has complexity to pair with meals but oversell a just above average dipa.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

22 oz. bomber poured into Dogfish Head signature glass (June 9, 2010). No freshness date. Special thanks to Randallt11 who supplied this is a trade. Cheers Randall!

Eyes: Pours very hazy, darkish ruddy orange. An extremely fluffy brownish eggshell head will the glass up three fingers. Bubbles are tiny, retention and lacing are heavy.

Nose: Like it's younger sister Daisy Cutter (single), this has a potent, complex and impressive nose. I've come across few ales with such an impressive and enticing aroma. Top marks here.

Tongue: The alpha acid punch is in the same vein as the nose, but not exceptionally bitter, which is a very nice surprise. There is a good amount of sweet malt that balances the flavor and pushes the profile away from an APA and well into DIPA range.

Mouth: Smooth, rich, and well carbonated.

Libation: To be honest I expected this to be a hopped up version of Daisy Cutter, with would not necessarily translate well into an IPA. Somehow Half Acre has jacked up the gravity and hops, all while injecting a fresh, malt character. A truly great DIPA. Half Acre should be proud.

Another Half Acre beer shared by nickd717 a few weeks back. Thanks, Nick.

Hazy blonde, similar to regular Daisy Cutter in appearance. Nice head retention and color makes for a great looking beer.

Floral hop aroma with moderate sweetness behind it. A bit of tropical fruit, grainy sweetness, honey, grapefruit. Smells good, but regular Daisy Cutter has a better hop aroma. This one smells a bit too sweet in comparison.

The palate opens with honey-like sweetness and floral hop flavors, with undertones of pineapple and grapefruit. Side-by-side with regular Daisy Cutter, I feel this beer doesn't improve upon the flavors of Daisy Cutter enough to warrant the higher alcohol. Moderately bitter in the finish yet semi-sweet, this is a bit too middle of the road, though it is enjoyable. The alcohol is somewhat noticeable, and the hop character is a little underwhelming. It's a good beer, very enjoyable, but I'd take regular Daisy Cutter over it most days.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

22oz bottle thanks to NorthsideFred on BA.

Pours a clear copper color with a fading whitish head.

Great aroma that's fairly similar to Daisy Cutter (I had them back to back). Piney, resinous, and grapefruity.

Flavor has more malt than Daisy Cutter: pale and a little caramel malt, with herbal, grapefruity, and resinous hops.

Medium bodied and crisp for the ABV.

Good stuff. This is supposed to be an imperial pale ale rather than an imperial IPA, and I think that classification makes sense here despite the hoppiness.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to Spycow for this brew.

A - Orange-gold in hue, with a generous white frothy head and spotty lace everywhere

S - Tangerine, pine and mango hoppiness easily outshines whatever malt must be within this brew.

T - Juicy orange and mango notes are supplanted by dry and bitter herbal-resin nuances of pine and mango sap in a fervent display of hoppiness. Malt is not even a bit player here; unusual for the style.

M - (D)IPA. Good.

D - Half Acre has impressed me thus far. Here's another winner...

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Cheers to GbVDave for sending this along in a trade. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

The beer pours as murky a tangering as I've seen, it looks like citrus hop juice. There's a good sized creamy white cap on it, and the lacing left behind is fair to good. Those nose is straight citrus, particularly grapefruit. I'd be willing to bet this beer met its fair share of Amarillo. After smelling DDC I was expecting a hop bomb of nuclear proportions, but that's not what I found. Unlike the nose there's a perceptible caramel foundation in every sip, and bitterness and citrus flavors from the hops, while present, are a bit too subdued. This is in part at least due to carbonation being a little bit too low, though the body strikes a nice balance between rich and thin. Double Daisy Cutter is pretty drinkable for a double IPA, but that's in part due to the lackluster hop bitterness bite. Double Daisy Cutter is a good beer, it just doesn't live up to some of the expectations that come with its imperial IPA tag.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

Awesome bottle received from the excellent trader, pochman! Per his suggestion, I cracked this bottle first.

Poured into a goblet. Pours a very murky, cloudy dark gold. Sits pretty dense in the glass. A small finger-width off-white head rests on top. Lots of sticky lace clings to the glass. The nose on this beer is superb! This is eye-crossingly wonderful. Tons of citrus notes waft out: grapefruit, passion fruit, lemon zest, oranges, etc. This really smells amazing. I wish I could scent my car with this.

The mouth is firm. Slight oily feel. Sits heavier than many of the style. Carbonation level is spot-on. As this beer warms a bit, a smooth creamy characteristic takes over. Great citrusy hops in the flavor. Light spiciness, but nothing overbearing. Adds a nice touch. The bitterness is much more pronounced right away, but as it warms a smooth honey-sweetness pops up. Excellent balance. I enjoyed this entire bomber for myself. I want more! Great beer. Thanks again, Ed.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Last of the three bottles I was able to purchase from the brewery.

A: Hazy orange/tangerine color with a thick, solid 2 fingers of white head that holds up well beyond the first sip. Once the foam subsides, a thick ring around the rim and full surface coverage are left as a constant reminder of the strong initial foam. A beautiful pattern of lacing forms and stands strong on all sides of the glass.

S: A burst of citrus hops jumps out of the glass, mainly grapefruit, orange and lemon. As the beer warms some pine and grassy notes start to waft up through my nostrils along with some subtle tropical fruit aromas.

T: The flavor profile is a near perfect balance of wonderful citrus hops, a very subtle, slightly sweet honey-like malt and a lingering hop bitterness that smacks the back of the throat and swings back onto the tongue to wash away the citrus until the next sip.

M: Medium bodied, incredibly smooth and just a tingle of carbonation that helps bring together each component. The finish is dry and bitter, though not the tongue splitter I was expecting- at first. As I progress through the bottle I can definitely feel the bitterness putting a sleeper hold on my tongue. The alcohol content is sneaking up on me in a similar fashion.

D: What more can I say? I am enjoying the hell out of this beer. I love Daisy Cutter and its bigger brother has not disappointed. Double Daisy Cutter starts out with tons of citrusy hops throwing themselves into your nose, followed up by a fantastic combination of hops, subtle malts and gradually working up to that bitterness I expect from a beer in this style. I hope Half Acre decides to make this one available again.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I really liked this one I have to admit. Big fan of the original so of course I was curious what its big brother could do. Served cold and into a pint glass, this one was enjoyed on 06/20/2010.

Pours one of the murkiest and haziest of ambers I have ever seen. Looks like Mango juice or something, really full with a huge white cap of foam on top that thoroughly coats the entire inside of the glass. Really very, very well done I have to admit. Aroma is deep citrus hops. Tons of grapefruit, tangerine, orange, and a touch of tropical fruit thrown in. Warming brings some nice balance to it with a rich and buttery malt that builds along with a touch of hotness.

Each sip seems to be bigger then the one before it. Really nicely done. Crisp, biting, sharp the hops hit you like a ton of bricks and never did let go of itself. Smacking the lips against the teeth the oily, resiny hops dominate the show here. Smooth middle with a rich, full and creamy body, the ABV snuck up on me, but I found this to be so incredibly good, it did not matter.

Overall I have to say this was a great DIPA. One of my new favorites for sure.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

Well, Half Acre deserves the "truth in advertising" award: this offering is essentially Daisy Cutter on Andro. Same great grassy hop flavor with a complementary dose of pine, melding with a soda cracker malt base. It is not overpowerly bitter and is almost refreshingly drinkable for the style. Mouthfeel is on the light side.

While its lighter cousin punches its weight against other APAs, I think that DDC suffers a little bit when placed in the IIPA category. The hops are not as complex as some of its bretheren (no fruit salads here) and its malt backbone is not as sturdy as some of my favorites (Dreadnaught and Dorado). That said, this is a very nice beer and well deserving of your attention if Half Acre makes it a yearly release.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

A: cloudy orange with a very thick offwhite head. Good lacing and decent head retention but a little but more clarity would have been nice.

S: some tropical fruitiness with hints of mangoes and some pineapple however there is a bit too much maltoness and sugariness in there too.

T: a bit too much on the bready sugary side than I like in my ipa. There is some citrus fruit hop qualities but they seem to be more of a background note. A slight bit of pine is present in the finish.

M: decent creaminess and body but a little bit of graininess.

D: more hop quality would have been nice. for a rather fresh ipa this fresh it tastes as though this is a bit older tasting

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a deeply hazed orange with a creamy two fingers of bubbling white foam on top. Good active carbonation. Aromas are dense with dank, resinous, grassy hops. Tropical citrus and a solid crisp malt backbone with a touch of caramel. Really great hop profile and aroma....Daisy Cutter kicked up a few notches.

First sip brings a wall of bright dank hops with a menagerie of grassy herbal tones and tropical / grapefruit flavors a well. Solid crisp, slightly bready malt backbone. Flows into a kick of bitterness that's still somewhat balanced with the malt sweetness. Lingering hops on the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy...good carbonation and well attenuated. Almost too easy to drink...a darn good amped up version of Daisy Cutter. The regular in 16oz cans is still my new favorite session brew!

4.37/5  rDev +4%

It pours a slightly cloudy golden orange with a nice pale straw head.

The tropical hops are just huge in this. This is a very fresh DIPA and the nose lets me knows that. The pineapple and grapefruit aroma from the Amarillo is just overflowing from the glass. I love me some tropical hops and this hits on all the notes.

The taste is just as bright and fresh as the smell. There is just this sticky resinous grapefruit hop taste that just coats your mouth. The bitterness isn't overly harsh but present. This beer reminds me a ton of fresh Hopslam with just a tiny addition of a malt sweetness at the end. it's almost everything I'm looking for in a DIPA.

The carbonation level is great and pairs nicely with a creamy silky mouthfeel. An alcohol taste is just starting to be present which is a ding on the drinkability since many other DIPA's of this gravity and higher have hidden alcohol better, besides that I think I will be finding myself craving a beer like this during the hot summer days.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy orange color with one and a half fingers of creamy white head with good retention.

Scent of sweet tropical fruit, lots of pineapple, mango, grapefruit, and peaches. A hint of caramel malts and resiny hops finish the scent off.

Taste of bitter pine, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, citrus, a hint of caramel, and the lightest touch of alcohol. I find regular Daisy Cutter to be more bitter, but I am loving the overflowing tropical fruit flavors in this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied and slightly creamy with a medium carbonation, refreshing.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I loved Daisy Cutter so when I heard about this version I had to try it. Thanks Matt for making that possible. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Poured a murky orange color, with a bright white foamy head taking up the top inch of the glass. The head settled a bit but left a pretty decent covering on the beer as I drank it. Pretty good lacing to it as well.

The aroma has a very nice floral, juicy, sweet hoppiness to it. It has a little pine but more of a sweet grapefruit, citrus, tropical flavor than anything else. Excellent aroma overall.

The taste also shows the tropical like, juicy hops very nicely. It finishes slightly sweet with some more tropical flavors. A little bit of pine comes through as well as a little caramel sweetness. Really nice hoppy flavor to it, and really hit the flavor profile for my personal tastes in a hoppy beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, it's very good tasting and easy drinking. It was an excellent tasting hoppy beer with a very nice aroma as well. One of the best DIPA's I've had.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

jojomdma was nice enough to share this with me

a - hazy orange. peach colored head.

s - citrus hops.

t - mix of citrus and pine hops. orange peal. sweet. bitter finish.

m - light and refreshing. very drinkable.

o - nice DIPA. would recommend to anyone who likes IPA's.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up three bottles at the Half Acre Brewery. What a great, laid-back atmosphere.

A: Pours a cloudy orange, with a big white foamy head. Nice lacing.

S: Nice. Similar to some of my favorite double ipa's. Very fresh scent, I detect grapefruit, malt, and perhaps some hints of pine.

T: Taste is good. Crisp, clean, citrus. Bitter, but not too bitter. I like this. Very hoppy, numbs my tongue a bit.

M: Medium body, with lots of tiny boubles.

D: Not bad. Not a session beer, but not bad.

Overall, I liked this quite a bit. Hopefully this won't be a one-time thing.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Thanks Alex! Opened on the elevated Pendragon veranda on Memorial Day and poured into a snifter. The beer appears hazy dark orange with a large frothy beige head, good retention, and good lacing.

The nose exhibits soft citrus notes, primarily orange flesh and tangerine with a little grapefruit. This beer has the strongest orange profile I've witnessed on a beer as of late. Light tropical notes are also evident, and there's a dash of caramel malt beneath the hop profile. The nose takes a bit of warming and coaxing, but it's very nice. A little alcohol is noticeable.

The flavor shows the same strong orange flesh profile I found in the nose, with accompanying grapefruit, pine resin, and subtle tropical notes. Bitterness is at an upper moderate level but it seems to compound as I work my way through the glass. There's a subtle alcohol bite near the end that's not really unpleasant, but it's worth noting. Actually, the more I drink the more noticeable the alcohol becomes. It tastes rather strong for only 8% (per the bottle), but it's not detrimental. Nice stuff. The moothfeel is smooth and dry with moderate carbonation. A nice American Double / Imperial IPA from Half Acre, though regular Daisy Cutter would win in a duel.

Double Daisy Cutter from Half Acre Beer Company